#1 2009-10-26 23:01:26

First, I want to state that it is NOT over. Please be there tomorrrow night at 7:00 pm. It is important to the future of this town that voters show up and vote on the remainder of the articles....also....Brenda are you listening?.....to defeat ANY vote to dissolve the meeting!

Yes, our very own Selectmen, Brenda Eckstrom, voted to dissolve the meeting. Now, why would anyone who sat through a meeting with close to 500 residents voting their minds and tell them since you didn't vote my way, I want to dissolve the meeting? If she does it again, she should be recalled. This wasn't special interest groups, this was a majority of Wareham voters sending a message to the Selectmen...NO MORE!  No more irresponsilbe spending, no more personal vendettas, no more ignoring the majority of voters in favor of your personal agendas! Shame on you Brenda for your attempt to thwart a MAJORITY of the voters!

Westfield is off the table indefinitely. We should build on this by seeking a panel to study senior housing, existing and future needs, and come back to the NEW board of Selectmen with recommendations. This is not a victory unless we do all we can to make good decisions to assist our seniors. That means reviewing all town properties available and all avenues to make it happen.

Both taxes, hotels and restaurants, were voted down. Thank you voters!

We are keeping our Police Chief in Civil Service, which now give our officers something to strive for! Thank you George Dionne! What a marvelous speech!

We will be back tomorrow as the message is not complete. PLEASE come out and ensure we do not have another attempt by a Selectmen to dissolve the meeting, and come and show your support for the remainder of the articles!

On a personal note....The Moderator's attempt to confuse the voters backfired and it's clear another elected officials needs to be looking for a job.....

Selectmen and their pet reporter (Slager) you can twist it anyway you want, but rest assured, it's not special interests groups, it's registered voters finally standing up and saying NO MORE! It was voter apathy that put you in those seats, and it's voter awareness that sent you a message tonight! Let's hope you heard it loud and clear!

Sorry, can't help myself...Bruce....remember me? You told me you don't care what I have to say, but you better start listening now, because we are ALL speaking with one voice.

TAKE BACK WAREHAM!

#2 2009-10-26 23:03:19

It is important to keep showing up, yes, they will no doubt try to pull out a trick or two to try and nullify their ass whooping.

#3 2009-10-26 23:04:35

Yes they will, but the voters have spoken and they are now on notice! Their games and tricks backfired!  Now we know Brenda doesn't care about the majority of voters. She proved that!

#4 2009-10-26 23:06:59

She would rather have the 60 plus remaining articles not have any action at all, leaving all of that important town business up in the air just because she did not get her way.  Shameful.  She has proven she does not care about this town and this community, and is ruled only by her ego.  She should resign immediately.  Any selectman who voted to dissolve town meeting should also resign immediately.

#5 2009-10-26 23:15:56

Again, it's not over! Be there tomorrow night and let's make sure we get all our fine voters to combat any effort to dissolve the meeting. There are important articles left on the warrant. BayPointe was there to vote along side us, so let's extend them the same courtesy!

This was my first town meeting and everything I had heard about Town meeting is true. I am just so pleased that we showed up in force to send a message to our Selectmen. You can bet they are planning for tomorrow night.

I have a special shout out to Ed P.....fearing retribution? You have to be kidding me! That is exactly why the officers that protect this town do not want to take it out of civil service. What happened to open and honest government??? What happened to public awarenes? You want to go "double secret"? This is exactly what WE, as voters, need to combat. If we can't do it in open public meetings, then it certainly isn't what we are seeking!

See you tomorrow night! Be there at 7:00pm! Take Back Wareham!

#6 2009-10-26 23:24:46

YES SCREW YOU ED P.

#7 2009-10-26 23:30:57

Yeah, My buddy Ed ("Are you a lawyer?") Pacewieczyczzz, or whatever. Australian ballot, Why don't you go "down under", SelectBozo Lackey?
....Ha, ha, ha

Ham, allow me...

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-26 23:31:29)

#8 2009-10-26 23:45:40

I have to say that the crowd was impressive, where was John Cronin?
I also just want to comment (and I am sure you will all disagree) but I felt that John Donahue did a much better job this time, he allowed Bob Brady to make his initial suggestion about article lottery, he handled it respectfully and fairly which is way more than he afforded me last fall when he refused to allow me to make a motion (but he let someone else - go figure). Yes, there were blunders but overall there is improvement, give credit where credit is due.
I think Bruce was hurt, whether you agree or disagree with Westfield (I voted to postpone), this is something he has put a great deal of effort into.
George Dionne was fabulous, by far the best speaker of the night! Good work George!
I was extremely disappointed in the "Counsel", and I question their ability to even intepret the law. He is a member of the BAR and as such has taken an oath. Once again he said whatever he thought the BOS wanted to hear, shame on him, it's no wonder there are so many lawyer jokes!
Kudos to Frank DeFelice for shouting out "if and probably", I laughed so hard, it should be someone's campaign slogan in April.
Dick Paulsen did a great job! Making that speech could not have been easy but your intelligence and passion were evident.
Now I am off to bed, goodnight everyone :-)
ps-I don't think it was Andrea that demanded a recount.

#9 2009-10-26 23:53:18

cara it WAS andrea smith writer for slager that demanded a recount...

#10 2009-10-27 00:12:51

Aside from tonights meeting, I would really like to thank Mr. Whitehouse for the opportunity of allowing us to come here and post our views, observations, concerns, fund raiser information, VENTING, etc, etc.  I would have to say that this site played a crucial role in opening the peoples eyes to the way our town government is being overseen by this Board of Selectmen and there bully tactics.  It wasn't more black and white then watching one of our elected selectmen try to disolve town meeting because the voter majority was not in their favor.  And just another reminder this isnt her first time pulling that stunt!  Lets make sure we all keep up the accountablility, especially now, the board has lost so much credability that I would be very cautious in there decision making process.  Unfortunately we have a major position that has to be filled under there watch. 

Thank you Bill Whitehouse.

#11 2009-10-27 00:18:38

Yes Bill, Thanks.

Don't ask me why I posted this video. I'm a big Beatles fan, and this song rocks. So here's to you pride, and Bill.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#12 2009-10-27 00:20:49

There's no better way to say it than this: The tide has turned.   That doesn't mean we've won; all it means is that the momentum has changed : It's up to us... Are we going to sit home tomorrow night and celebrate, or are we going to get back into the ring tomorrow night to deliver the knock-out punch ?

Larry has stated it well: Celebrate that Wareham is wide awake and determined to take back what has been stolen from us, but keep in mind that our adversary, although mortally wounded, is still armed. Please be there tomorrow..... and pass that word  to the people you know  who love this  wonderful town......which is probably all the people you know !  Let's turn the well earned gift of a tide change into a tsunami !

#13 2009-10-27 00:29:10

Dick, In for a penny, in for a pound. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

How many are left? We had the first five, and a summary vote on another five or six. So, I guess I just answered my own question. Also, we HAVE to be there again, they've already shown that desperation moves are to be expected. I think I support all the Articles left (I think).

YESON22

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#14 2009-10-27 00:56:19

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

cara it WAS andrea smith writer for slager that demanded a recount...

It was actually Dawna (Smith) Gauvin who questioned the tally...

#15 2009-10-27 01:17:34

Larry McDonald wrote:

Yes they will, but the voters have spoken and they are now on notice! Their games and tricks backfired!  Now we know Brenda doesn't care about the majority of voters. She proved that!

We watched the faces of the selectmen turn red and angry.  I had to smile, as we had front seats.  Do they really think we are stupid?  I don't care who you are, Westfield was a done deal.  They already knew who they were going to have as a contractor.   We blew them completely out of the water, that's what made the tide turn.  Bruce excused himself from standing because he had foot (brain) surgery.  Do we need to know that?  Did you notice that as the tide was turning - he stood to talk.  He had foot surgery, but he carried in the five 2" thick books from all the bidders for Westfield.  Why did he need them there?  We weren't going to be allowed to see them and did he think he could leaf through them to give us answers?  That's what he paid Heaton for.  Oh, sorry, he wasn't getting paid to be there tonight, duh, he got paid enough already.  When we got home, we started looking at the figures. $4million over 20 yrs., excise taxes of $200 per car.  Thank God I have an old car.  $500 - $1,000 is affordable for seniors.  The one's I know that could pay the high end price are in lovely homes that are paid for and don't want to leave them.  We didn't push that lady out of town. either.

Dear, sweet Brenda.  No, she doesn't care for any of the voters and she MORE than proved it tonight.  She was at the exit of the auditorium and whining over their losses tonight "because of the Assholes that don't come out but every five years."  The man said to her, "I am one of those assholes that doesn't come but every five years".  She jumped up and was absolutely screaming at him.  Like a maniac!  Janey came to calm her down.  She had no idea what he was talking about.  Short, short memory span.

Thumbs up for George Dionne, Pres. of the Police Union and a real nice kid.  I call him kid cuz I knew him as a teen.  An excellant police officer, too. Every single word out of his mouth came right from the heart.  I have no use for our part time chief.  He should have given us the pros and cons of a non-civil service chief.  He is civil service in N.Andover.  He is officially a puppet of the board of selectmen and I will never see him in any other light.

Back for more tomorrow.  Thanks for being such a supportive group.

#16 2009-10-27 02:17:22

Cara Winslow wrote:

I have to say that the crowd was impressive, where was John Cronin?
I also just want to comment (and I am sure you will all disagree) but I felt that John Donahue did a much better job this time, he allowed Bob Brady to make his initial suggestion about article lottery, he handled it respectfully and fairly which is way more than he afforded me last fall when he refused to allow me to make a motion (but he let someone else - go figure). Yes, there were blunders but overall there is improvement, give credit where credit is due.
I think Bruce was hurt, whether you agree or disagree with Westfield (I voted to postpone), this is something he has put a great deal of effort into.
George Dionne was fabulous, by far the best speaker of the night! Good work George!
I was extremely disappointed in the "Counsel", and I question their ability to even intepret the law. He is a member of the BAR and as such has taken an oath. Once again he said whatever he thought the BOS wanted to hear, shame on him, it's no wonder there are so many lawyer jokes!
Kudos to Frank DeFelice for shouting out "if and probably", I laughed so hard, it should be someone's campaign slogan in April.
Dick Paulsen did a great job! Making that speech could not have been easy but your intelligence and passion were evident.
Now I am off to bed, goodnight everyone :-)
ps-I don't think it was Andrea that demanded a recount.

Sorry, but I have no hurt feelings for Bruce.  He thinks we are stupid.  Look, I've lived here 61 years, born at Tobey.  I will agree with anyone that our charter needs to be ammended, not rewritten, but I cannot believe that any one would want to change the vote of the people from 1977.  When we vote, we don't expect a group, or our BOS to come along and change the will of the people.  Their votes in 1977 are as important as our votes were tonight.
Leave that land alone.  Why haven't they allowed discussion on their little pet project.  They have limited us to information about their plans for Westfield and basically put us on a need to know basis, and we don't need to know.  You do not go out and look for contractors to build affordable housing.  Were they put out to bid?  I must have missed that.  How did they search for these contractors, I do know the answer to that but some may not.   They put the cart before the horse, again!  Just look what has been wasted - the bill for Heaton, for one.  K&P giving their "unsound" advice? More money.  Not only that, but there are five developers who put together all these plans - 2" thick I think Brucey said.  They have lost that money.  Now, all of a sudden the amount of space they were planning has been scaled way down.  Why?  Did all five of those contractors decide that?  Did Brucey?  I think that they already had the contractor picked out.  I also think that there is much more about these dealings than we know.  I don't think that EVERYTHING here is  completely open.  Why, for God's sake do you think they were so angry and upset?  Over 200 people on the waiting list.  High priorities are moved to the top of the list.  I knew someone, since passed away, that lied and told them that she was homeless and staying with several different people and she was in Redwood in a matter of weeks.  So, no, I feel no sympathy for Bruce or any other person that was on that stage tonight.

#17 2009-10-27 02:42:59

Larry McDonald wrote:

Yes, our very own Selectmen, Brenda Eckstrom, voted to dissolve the meeting. Now, why would anyone who sat through a meeting with close to 500 residents voting their minds and tell them since you didn't vote my way, I want to dissolve the meeting?

Those who were sitting up front tell me it was apparent Sweet Brucey forcefully put her up to it, which makes twisted sense. Brenda has rocks for brains.

#18 2009-10-27 07:07:00

Larry McDonald wrote:

Yes, our very own Selectmen, Brenda Eckstrom, voted to dissolve the meeting. Now, why would anyone who sat through a meeting with close to 500 residents voting their minds and tell them since you didn't vote my way, I want to dissolve the meeting? If she does it again, she should be recalled.

Larry, this is not the first time she has tried to do something like this at town meeting. And I do believe she SHOULD be recalled in April.

Also, her comment about the "assholes" who only show up every five years. Did we all hear the selectmen encouraging people to show up at this town meeting? You can't have it both ways.

Her behavior was beyond reprehensible. The CPC articles are important, Habitat for Humanity (let's punish someone seeking affordable housing who isn't over 55), and most of all, the Bay Pointe article. It was typical, if we can't get Westfield, I'll try to prevent you from getting Bay Pointe. Horrific, unprofessional behavior.

And Larry, if this was your first meeting, please know that the lack of civility was NEVER part of Wareham's town meeting. Over the past few years, it has grown to become that way. Many of us recall the days when town business was conducted in a polite, civilized manner. My own opinion is that this board of selectmen's actions and words and the town moderator's clear bias in his decisions, is responsible. When this board is done, we can go back to town meeting as it should be. We do not need a mayor. We need a new bos.

#19 2009-10-27 07:12:28

Cara Winslow wrote:

IKudos to Frank DeFelice for shouting out "if and probably", I laughed so hard, it should be someone's campaign slogan in April.

I was absolutely amazed that Mr Moderator allowed Frank DeFelice to read his letter to the Standard Times.  Frank just started ticking off all the issues with the leadership of this current BOS.  It was a very public and scathing indictment of this current BOS and I'm surprised that it was allowed to go on as long as it did.  Frank was on a roll.  I loved it!

#20 2009-10-27 07:24:17

IT WAS ANDREA SMITH WHO GOT UP TO THE MICROPHONE AND SAID THERE WAS CONFUSION IN THE VOTING TO THE REAR AND THE RECOUNT HAPPENED.

#21 2009-10-27 07:28:32

I think that contrary to what was said, this was going to be our first and only vote on Westfield.  If they wanted to use CPA money, they would have to come back to town meeting for approval.  That's when I realized they would not be coming back to town meeting again, despite the promise that we'd have another crack at it.  Our BOS would make it work without the CPA money.  That's what turned the tide for me.  I knew then that I'd never get another chance to vote.  That I would have to "trust" our BOS to do the right thing.  You all know how dangerous that is.

Their offer was tempting, as this town needs additional tax revenues.  75% of Westfield was still available for future town uses.  But...But, in the end I just couldn't trust our current BOS to do the right thing.  You know things would have to get rushed along so Westfield was completely wrapped up before Sweet Brucie and Cronie were thrown out of office in April.  Just way too many opportunities not to do the right thing.

#22 2009-10-27 07:49:53

This was my first Wareham TM, but certainly not my first TM.  I have seen mostly everything you can see in several of the SouthCoast communities I have lived in, but to disolve TM and from a Selectman........outragious !!!!

I have lived in Town for only a year, but it did not take me long to see that the current BOS is not working in the best intrests of the people of Wareham.  At one time I actually paid for the Observer, but soon realized that it is just a spin rag for the BOS and other less than competent Town Officials.  I chose to ignore Slagers rants and spin and found this site (Thank you Bill W.) where I could find the TRUTH.  Though sometimes the banter here is a little crude, once you sort out the wheat from the chaff the truth shines like the sun.

I was greatly dissapointed in the presentation of the Acting Chief.  He really did not give the voters at TM the truth.  As you know he is a Civil Service Chief in N. Andover and reaps the benifit of that status.  When Civil Service gives the 250 question test, it specifically can be given to Wareham officers only.  I know this to be fact, because I have taken that exam several times.  There are both open and closed tests given.  To go outside for a new Chief is NOT what this Town needs at this time.  The PD is loaded with talent (the young Union President is a perfect example).  I spent 28 years as a police officer in two states and find it just unbelieveable that the AC spoke the way he did.  Lt. Wallace should be wearing the Chief's badge today.

A new course has been laid and the future is looking bright if we keep going in this new direction.  Stay with it tonight to insure that a fast one isn't tried and lets move toward April when we can really send our strong message.  We have almost Taken Wareham Back...........I am proud to be one of you.

Last edited by Quahog (2009-10-27 07:50:57)

#23 2009-10-27 07:55:12

IHATESLAGER wrote:

IT WAS ANDREA SMITH WHO GOT UP TO THE MICROPHONE AND SAID THERE WAS CONFUSION IN THE VOTING TO THE REAR AND THE RECOUNT HAPPENED.

There was confusion counting the overflow crowd standing at the back of the auditorium and it gave Donahue the perfect opportunity to call for a cooked recount.

Credit where credit's due. Both Donahues are peerless scumbags.

#24 2009-10-27 08:28:25

Quahog wrote:

Though sometimes the banter here is a little crude, once you sort out the wheat from the chaff the truth shines like the sun.

Wow. A rare cop indeed.

Your objection has often surfaced here and will no doubt continue to raise a stink so long as I can type. You surrender some small part of your soul whenever you can't call excrement smelly shit.

Welcome to Wareham!

Fairly New in Town

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#25 2009-10-27 08:35:58

Molly wrote:

Her behavior was beyond reprehensible. The CPC articles are important, Habitat for Humanity (let's punish someone seeking affordable housing who isn't over 55), and most of all, the Bay Pointe article. It was typical, if we can't get Westfield, I'll try to prevent you from getting Bay Pointe. Horrific, unprofessional behavior.

And Larry, if this was your first meeting, please know that the lack of civility was NEVER part of Wareham's town meeting. Over the past few years, it has grown to become that way. Many of us recall the days when town business was conducted in a polite, civilized manner. My own opinion is that this board of selectmen's actions and words and the town moderator's clear bias in his decisions, is responsible. When this board is done, we can go back to town meeting as it should be. We do not need a mayor. We need a new bos.

This must be the focus of our new charge going forward.  First, tonight is important to finish the work we started and upon the conclusion of TM we MUST focus on changing the leadership that has destroyed our community.

Well done, ALL of you who want to Take Back Wareham.  Let's finally bring back the civility we all deserve and restore the good reputation we once had.

See you all tonight.  Bring all family and friends.

#26 2009-10-27 08:54:20

I immediately went to my Robert's Rules of Order this AM to see if Brenda's motion was legal and enforceable. It was not on all accounts. I didn't think so. First of all she is not smart enough to make that motion, and secondly, the dumb asshole that told her to make the motion was as confused as she was. The motion to dissolve is unacceptable for a scheduled Town Meeting. The Moderator should have explained the motion to the floor after it was submitted, advised the mover that the motion is inappropriate, and moved on.
I am disgusted by the Moderator obviously in cahoots with the scum that are siting up on the stage with him. He needs to go, and someone who cares about Wareham and not themselves needs to replace him.
The acting Chief seems like a nice guy, but, he has his head up his ass. Must be all the money he is making with two jobs. Dionne should be a Selectman.
Great job, everyone. Make sure you show up tonight, and someone carry Robert's Rules with them so you can tell any idiot that makes a motion, and is accepted by another idiot, what idiots they are and point it out with your Robert's Rules.
YOU ROCK.
TAKE BACK WAREHAM.
By the way, if the dumb ass had accepted and pushed the motion to dissolve, not all would have been lost. Only time and money, which apparently the Moderator and his cohorts think the Town of Wareham has unlimited sources of..
Don't allow your intelligence to be insulted again by a bunch of amateur political hacks.

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-10-27 08:55:03)

#27 2009-10-27 09:00:21

I did not know about Brenda's comments after the meeting. If they are true, then she should resign immediately! That is no way for a public official to speak about the very citizens she has taken an oath to represent. It is clearly in violation of the the Selectmen's oath!

We CANNOT let up now. Everyone who has said that is right. What you saw last night was exactly what this town needed. Citizens stood up and said NO MORE! This is the beginning. Now we must channel that energy into something even more positive. We can do so much for this community.

Now...if I were one of the Selectmen, I would take notice. First...Brenda, your actions show you are not capable of leadership. Even in defeat, one must learn from it and shoulder the repsonibility. To blame others is simply not acceptable. To try and dissolve a meeting because you didn't get your way is akin to pulling your team off the field before the end of the game....that will get you fired....

Bruce, I understand you worked hard on Westfield, but it was misguided. Now we must work hard on affordable senior housing through the proper channels and involve people that are experts. We have several pieces of property, so learn from your mistake. It wasn't the concept, it was PUSHING it down our throats on a property that was never intended for that purpose.

Jane/John, you truly think you can bully people by misinforming them and having the eat out of your hand? It doesn't work that way. The voting base of Wareham is very aware of the issues and the days of blind support are over......

In general, what you witnessed last night was a message from a MAJORITY of citizens.....do not discount us or continue to push an agenda that clearly doesn't mesh with the ideas of the voters. Listen to us or don't let the door hit you on the way out. I told Bruce this in an email, and it is worth repeating...
" We, the citizens, are the CEO's of Wareham, not you or the Board of the Selectmen".

Are you listening now?

#28 2009-10-27 09:00:52

Is it possible for them to try and make us revisit the articles that where defeated on the first night again on the second night?

#29 2009-10-27 09:06:31

onboard19 wrote:

Is it possible for them to try and make us revisit the articles that where defeated on the first night again on the second night?

NO.....but brenda proved last night by trying to DISSOLVE the meeting that every trick in the book will be played to try and change our democracy vote....

#30 2009-10-27 09:09:34

Yes it is possible, but I'm not going to post how to do it here.
I am going to pm Liz though, and explain how it can be done...not by them...by YOU!

#31 2009-10-27 09:14:30

Two "morning after" thoughts:

They would have us believe  that Westfield was voted down by people who don't share their deep concern for the need for affordable housing, but I don't believe there was even ONE person in the hall who is against affordable housing.   What people voted against was a project that was like a haddock that had been left out in the sun for ten days and then coated with chocolate.   Then the BOS had the gall to cry "foul !" when we acted as if we didn't like the smell.

Second thought : Somewhere in his barf-inducing rant Bobo implies that developers are greasing  our palms....that the whole issue is competition between Westfield and Bay Pointe!  This is beyond ridiculous but set off an alarm in my head : which one of the five developers has been paying Bobo's printing bills?

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2009-10-27 13:25:08)

#32 2009-10-27 09:18:45

To danoconnell

I'm not sure what you meant ...not by them...by YOU. Should I be offended?

#33 2009-10-27 09:22:14

Good point, Dick. How many times have we said, "follow the money"?
As far as Selectman Brenda shouting and swearing at a resident shows what happens when you put incompetent people in positions of power.They can't handle the pressure. Way over her head to be a Selectman. The Peter Principle applies to her. In fact, if Dr. Peter is still alive, someone ought to send him a copy of what Brenda said so he can use it as an example.
I feel sorry for the man she yelled at. Too bad it wasn't me, because she would still be sitting in her kitchen weeping trying to figure out exactly what all the words meant that I used to describe her sorry ass.
Work hard tonight. Don't ever underestimate these people.
Moles and snakes everywhere!

#34 2009-10-27 09:23:24

Isn't it possible to reconsider an article if the moderator thinks that there had been confusion when people previously voted, or if he thinks new information has come to light that is relevant to the issue?  He talked about that in his introductory remarks.

Does Indefinite Postponement mean that an article can't come before the voters again, or not again for two years?  And, how different does it have to look to be brought back again sooner?

I am putting it out there so we can learn about the process, for better or for worse.

#35 2009-10-27 09:29:55

Onboard...no...you should not be offended. I don't want to publish how to do it on this site to give the "other side" an idea of what to do...

#36 2009-10-27 09:30:16

Dick Wheeler wrote:

Second thought : Somewhere in his barf-inducing rant Bobo implies that developers are greasing  our palms....that the whole issue is competition between Westfield and Bay Pointe!  This is beyond ridiculous but set off an alarm in my head : which one of the five developers has been paying Bobo's printing bills?

Alright, Dick, you opened this slimy can of worms.

Who's paying Bob Brady's printing bills? Yes, I do think I know.

#37 2009-10-27 09:38:34

Mr. Wheeler,
One thing I have learned after last night is that NO ONE is listening to the rantings of a lunatic. His twisted lies did nothing but drive people away from his newspaper and followed the crumb path to the truth. I understand he painted a sorrowful picture of Brenda, but he doesn't include the name calling and attempt to dissolve a meeting.

Folks, there were 500 people there, not 150, not 200, 500! This wasn't special interest by any stretch of the definition. This was a wide cross section of the citizens of Wareham. This is why Slager is a non-factor. He just doesn't get it.

Slager, if you are reading this:
You are not a resident of Wareham
You do not have a business in Wareham
You have no VOTE at Town Meeting.

Please show up tonight.....! 7:00 pm

#38 2009-10-27 09:47:01

I just read his site to see what he said. I wish I had waited a little longer after breakfast. I am feeling nauseous. Why is each story such dramatic bullshit?
Can the guy write a story without editorializing.
Did anyone want to cry when they read about Brenda?
Come on...get a newspaper in Town that is a newspaper. If you want to hear editorializing, turn on the news cable channels.

#39 2009-10-27 09:52:20

"I walked outside the auditorium to find him. He was standing out on the fire escape, smoking a cigarette, tears frozen to his face in the frigid October night.
"Why? Why" he asked between sobs.
I don't know is all I could say, as I felt the need to cry myself.
I don't know why they disrespect you, Mr. Moderator...I think you are swell."

#40 2009-10-27 11:31:57

I'm sure that I'm repeating some of what's been said, but I have to say it again.

Thanks to all who participated in last night's Town meeting.  I urge you to ALL attend again this evening, and continue to STAY until the very end, because you never know what could happen.

If you supported or defeated any article, please come back to be sure that the BOS don't try to pull a fast one and change your vote!

To those of you who attended for the first time  (and to those of you on the charter review committee) please try to understand that overall, it is not a flawed process.    Town Meetings are not usually that chaotic and uncivil.  When it works, it works well; but in order for it to work, you need a good moderator.  When handled properly by the moderator, who IS in charge of the meeting, Town meeting is a democratic and civil process.  When handled as it was last night and on previous occasions, it becomes a circus.  (Yelling, cat-calling, applause; it is never appropriate and George Tabor must be rolling over in his grave!)

Also, kudos to George Dionne.  It could not have been easy, but he spoke tactfully and eloquently.  If it were a different BOS, maybe the dialog for change could have been an option, but not now.

And Wareham is not against Seniors and Senior Affordable housing !  The Westfield process was flawed.  Get together the proper committees/boards that are supposed to do this and let them do their job.
P.S.  How much did the consultant (Heaton) cost and where did that money come from?

This BOS is trying to do every job in town but their own.  They've fired and driven away good people for their own agenda.  Get the right people in to fill those missing spots, let them do their job, and the town will be better off. 

The members of the Charter Review Committee is another issue that needs to be addressed.  Members should be voted in, not appointed.  Just like every other board/commission in town, they do what the BOS tells them to so that they can get re-appointed. 

Want to talk about retribution?!  Never mind the WPD, everyone's afraid to stand up to the current BOS!

Your next step: VOTE IN APRIL ! 
Two selectmen, the moderator, and the town clerk are up for re-election.  If you don't like it, change it !  Let's get some civility back into our government. 

See you tonight.

#41 2009-10-27 11:35:16

Good for you, townie...well written and to the point and very important to pay attention to what you said.
Snakes everywhere!

#42 2009-10-27 11:42:58

I just want to repeat myself,

First, I want to state that it is NOT over. Please be there tomorrrow night at 7:00 pm. It is important to the future of this town that voters show up and vote on the remainder of the articles....also....Brenda are you listening?.....to defeat ANY vote to dissolve the meeting!

This is a long process, not a short fix. We must be there to see Town Meeting through. If you think they are sitting on their hands today, you will be wrong. They are working on a way to either dissolve TM or get their agenda back on the schedule. Either way, they are proving to all voters they do not support the democratic process. We need to drive that point home tonight.

I encourage everyone to climb back into their seats and experience this bumpy ride all the way to the end. If you need any more encouragement, think about some of the speakers last night and the passion with which they spoke. Let's make sure it does not go for naught.

See you at 7:00pm. Steve, I'll save your seat!

#43 2009-10-27 11:43:23

danoconnell wrote:

Good for you, townie...well written and to the point and very important to pay attention to what you said.
Snakes everywhere!

Ahhh, Dan. Thank you, full circle Sensei. (for me at least)
..and couldn't agree more townie...

Snakes

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#44 2009-10-27 12:23:33

I just want to include some random notes on last night's meeting. It was my first TM. It was a spectacle!  I belive the loud and outspoken crowd is in answer to the last few years of bully behavior and tactics by the current elected officials. I thought Frank D was about to get into a hook n duck with somoene on the opposite side of the auditorium!  I sat near the son of our former Moderator, it makes me wish I could have met him! It IS the most pure form of democracy, no doubt! It's different watching some of the speakers when you know some of the "behind the scenes" information. George Dionne did a stand up job of bringing home the win!

#45 2009-10-27 12:44:01

if anyone ever has questioned brenda e's "AGENDA or UNDERSTANDING" of her job as selectmen please read some of her statement about OUR tm....

"Selectman Brenda Eckstrom was so frustrated Monday night’s events that she asked for a motion to dissolve the meeting with articles still on the table.
    “It appeared to me that the people participating in Town Meeting did not want to go further,” Eckstrom said. “They were against everything so what was the point? When people come to the meeting just to disrespect the legislative body by yelling and screaming and opposing everything then what’s the point? So why bother to continue with the meeting if you are not going to accomplish anything?”

1...brenda's logic is because the voters didnt agree with HER we didnt want tm...
brenda let me clear this up for you since you have NO clue..we the voters didnt agree with your ideas that does not mean we want to do away with tm..
2...brenda has been pushing to get rid of tm...

#46 2009-10-27 12:56:31

Idiotic motion. Idiotic to accept the motion and even entertain the motion.

#47 2009-10-27 13:21:31

Again, Brenda has made a judgement call that is completely off base. We did vote and we weren't against everything. We aren't there to disrespect the legislative body, we are there to make our voice heard. As far as what was accomplished, we voted down Westfield and kept the Chief Position in Civil Service,. We also voted down tax increase on hotels and restaurants. We also voted yes to a list of "housekeeping" articles. How does this mean we didn't accomplish anything?

You are clearly out of touch with the voters! If you add the fact she called the people voting against her assholes, why would she continue to pretend she is a Selectmen?

Folks, I'm trying really hard to stomach the nonsense spewing out of her mouth, but it's getting harder and harder.

#48 2009-10-27 14:09:33

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

"Selectman Brenda Eckstrom was so frustrated Monday night’s events that she asked for a motion to dissolve the meeting with articles still on the table.
    “It appeared to me that the people participating in Town Meeting did not want to go further,” Eckstrom said. “They were against everything so what was the point? When people come to the meeting just to disrespect the legislative body by yelling and screaming and opposing everything then what’s the point? So why bother to continue with the meeting if you are not going to accomplish anything?”

Liz,
Thanks for pasting this quote in. This just shows that Brenda doesn't have a clue. Town meeting is NOT just the bos show. Any article can be voted either way. The purpose of town meeting is NOT TO SIMPLY FURTHER THE BOS AGENDA. 

And while I don't like being disrespectful to anyone, if you are a politician, you understand that you might get heckled or have someone shout out something you don't like. Americans even do it to the president. Do you hear the president whining or calling his opponents assholes every time they yell out or disagree with him? Does he shut down meetings because he doesn't feel good about himself?

She should resign immediately. I guess it is all right for her on public television to humiliate and embarrass a woman in the audience by asking if she is the person whose husband is "screwing around on her."  But when someone is disrespectful to her---Really, talk about being a hypocrite.

#49 2009-10-27 16:13:21

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

brenda's logic is because the voters didnt agree with HER we didnt want tm...
brenda let me clear this up for you since you have NO clue..we the voters didnt agree with your ideas that does not mean we want to do away with tm..

Why do you think they want to have their own people taking up Mayor/Councilmen, etc. positions? The citizen's are just holding them up on all the "good" they're trying to accomplish. Bothersome electorate.
Brenda, your the @$$hole!!

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-27 16:16:44)

#50 2009-10-27 23:07:53

THE BOS LOST AT TOWN MEETING BAD. THEY HAVE NO POLITICAL POWER WHATSOEVER. APRIL CANT COME SOON ENOUGH

#51 2009-10-27 23:29:59

I must say I was a little upset with the turnout tonight as apposed to last. but It was the right people who turned out. even the senior citizens who are retired fromthe town let the BOS know they read the warrants. they pointed out some very important proplems with the way the warrent concerning their midical benifits was writen not that they were against it just that they knew it was writen poorly. The towns voters and other are paying attention if you want to be a town BOS know your are being watched closley.

#52 2009-10-28 00:09:23

It was very confusing at the end. When Ted..errr John Donahue smacked the gavel and said this meeting is dissolved, it confused all those left in attendance. In fact, since all business was concluded, the meeting was over.

It was a decent turn out for tonight. I met plenty of interesting people and had the chance after the meeting to meet more of the good people that are working hard to make Wareham a better place! I want to thank them all for what I have learned and welcoming me to Wareham. Yes, I know I will never be a townie, but I'm not going anywhere and we have plenty to do now! Let's get to work!

#53 2009-10-28 00:21:13

Kin:
The medical proposal was poorly written and the ITA made a very confusing speech about the impacts of it. Basically retired town employees who are Medicare eligible, will need to go on Medicare, they are then required to purchase the supplemental insurance that the Town offers. If they do not like that policy they have to purchase their own, so they do not always save money but the Town does.
I found the BOS arguments that the law prevails and they have good intentions somewhat lacking, may I remind everyone that one member of the BOS has publicly said it is okay to break the law provided no one squeals? And, how well did they abide by the regulations surrounding health insurance trust funds? Good intentions? For who? It is well documented that public employees are not on their short list, have they ever said anything positive about these hard working people?
I feel that it is a good concept, should have been presented better, should have been written better, and it would have been nice if there had been an opinion from the Insurance Advisory Committee. But, I spoke my piece and voted my conscience.
Retiring from Brockton is different then retiring from Wareham, maybe Brockton has decent supplemental insurance. My money is on the cheapest plan leaving senior retirees feeling under insured causing them to purchase their own at a greater expense to them and a savings to the town. Then when the compaining starts the BOS will say, this is the problem with Town Meeting, see they voted for it! Aaaaarrrggghhhhhhh. Lol, I tried :-)

#54 2009-10-28 00:30:23

Cara, you were great, thanks...

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#55 2009-10-28 00:32:03

Cara i am ready for bed also. but want to see towm meeting run better and the warrents writen the way they should be before they come before the voters. fix the problems before they are presneted if youknow there is a problem this was not the only problem of them meeting.

#56 2009-10-28 00:40:52

Why don't we ask for Brenda's resignation since she is not going to offer it.  Maybe we would be doing her a favor.

#57 2009-10-28 01:14:55

Crowd noise at the end was loud. Did I mishear Town Meeting Moderator John Donahue's last words last night, did he say, "I dissolve Town Meeting."?

#58 2009-10-28 01:23:16

YES, THAT IS WHAT YOUR HEARD, BILL.  LET'S HOPE THEY DON'T CALL US BACK TO SAY EVERYTHING WE VOTED ON HAS TO BE DONE OVER.  GOING TO BED, I'M EXHAUSTED.  nite nite.

#59 2009-10-28 01:23:46

billw wrote:

Crowd noise at the end was loud. Did I mishear Town Meeting Moderator John Donahue's last words last night, did he say, "I dissolve Town Meeting."?

YES that is what he said..

#60 2009-10-28 07:48:47

THE BOS ADMITTED THAT THE HEALTHCARE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN CONTRARY TO FEDERAL LAW, SO WHY WOULD ANYONE VOTE FOR IT? THE ARTICLE WAS NOT WRITTEN CORRECTLY AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN VOTED FOR FURTHER STUDY UNTIL IT WAS CORRECTED. AND BRUCEY'S RESPONSE , "WELL I DIDNT WRITE IT." NO YOU DIDNT BUT YOU VOTED 5 0 0 FOR IT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT VOTED FOR AN ARTICLE THAT WASNT PROPERLY WRITTEN. I LOVE THE BOS BLAME TRAIN

#61 2009-10-28 08:34:20

It should be pointed out that Mike Besse ( a friend of many years) was confused abut Bay Point. Safe guards are already in place They are called Zoning and Planning.
Bay Pointe should be a great fit for the Town but it will take a long time to get it off the ground. Hopefully, with a new Board of Selectmen, it will have an easier time achieving it's intended results.

#62 2009-10-28 09:16:29

Final notes on Town Meeting:

I don't like how it ended.....if it was a tactic by Donahue to say "this meeting is dissolved" and it ruins all the hard work of the citizens of this town, then I will be in favor of recalling the entire lot of them!  Voters turned out and spoke their mind. If the Selectmen don't like it, then they only have themselves to blame. Misinformation and bully tactics backfire!  As far as what Brenda said on Monday night, that showed a clear disdain for the voters and her melt down after the meeting was unacceptable!  Enough is enough......it's time to put professional mature people in those Selectmen chairs.....

Thank you to everyone who attended the meetings leading up to TM and for listening and asking questions. We can build on the effort heal Wareham!

#63 2009-10-28 09:23:33

I want to say. I respect Cara's thoughts, but I must disagree with something you posted.
Feel "sorry" for Sweet Brucey?? NOPE! Think the Moderator did a "good" job??? NOPE!
Sweet Brucey is the cause of his own (and our) woes. Feel sorry for us.
...and while the Moderator seems "professional" at times, can anyone honestly say/think he's unbiased, and deny he "leans" in "their" favor consistently? If your missing it, watch closer.

Also, for those who say "we" only vote against the BoS, just because. Get a grip.
...No, confidence is low (like underground low) in them. But, I believe (especially last night) there were plenty of things we voted "with" them on (just not their "biggie" pet projects). Too bad, that's what happens in a Democracy.
Next, to do another thing that's done in a Democracy...vote their asses OUT!!!

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-28 09:24:41)

#64 2009-10-28 16:12:37

Well, I guess we know the answer to the question that started this thread..

Let's not get in a "tizzy". Let's just continue to kick their asses. The fun ended too quickly anyway.

Still feel sorry for Sweet Brucey? Anyone?

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#65 2009-10-28 16:20:38

Do you really think any developer in their right mind could buy into a Westfield project given the result of TM? They'd end up with so much mud it wouldn't be worth the effort. BS is just that, a small time politician with a personal ego much bigger than the public good.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com