Announcement

The warehamwater.com domain name will be going away on December 5. Please update your links and bookmarks to point to the new domain, https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/. New user registrations have been disabled and all forums have been set to read-only mode.

#1 2009-12-31 22:03:10

happy new years.

Offline

 

#2 2010-01-01 00:07:52

Happy New Year Everyone!! (You too Pinky Baby ; )

http://www.beckersbakeryanddeli.com/images/Cakes/Pink%20Panther%20Hands%20up.jpg

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-01 00:11:09)

Offline

 

#3 2010-01-02 17:27:54

Wonderful edit job pspan.  I love it.

Offline

 

#4 2010-01-03 22:42:49

Dolores and I just got back from our Christmas vacation in Palmer TN, her whole family still lives there (her mom has passed on) You can check.out pictues on my Facebook page under Sean's vacation.

Being without good cell service can actually be a piece of tranquility.

We wish you and your families a blessed and happy 2010.

I did manage to catch up on some reading from this and the Wareham Observer site,I guess I was hoping for some changes as the New Year began, but was met with the same thing, you all say something here and the argument, name calling, insults and private threatening emails are sent out from the Observer President.

Funny thing is you swore him off limits and he did the same for you.Yet it continues.

My suggestion would be to take away all the anonymous names, have all his folks sign up for a weekly chat session on this site. No moderator reqired and no one filtering the answers and deciding how long one would wait to have their answer or comment posted.I was going to suggest using the Observer site but then you would have to pay and have someone screening every post and then deciding when the answer or post gets published.

We could begin this week on Thursday night at 7pm to get the ball rolling.

No middleman man just citizens speaking their mind and having a discussion.

We can start the first one with no agenda or between now and then pick 3 or 4 topics. You all can decide.

I know the sticking point is the names, so if that's a deal breaker keep the names both sides use then now.

Let me know what you think. I will be here on Thursday 1/7 at 7pm. Please plan to join the discussion.

Be safe

Steve holmes

Last edited by searay240 (2010-01-04 06:14:47)

Offline

 

#5 2010-01-03 22:51:10

I understand, Steve.  Good luck, all.  Hopefully, a new year will bring Wareham back.

Last edited by voter (2010-01-04 21:03:56)

Offline

 

#6 2010-01-04 09:27:34

Steve : It's worth a try. It could be the antidote for the poisonous mood in Wareham. We didn't initiate the poisoning, but until we take steps to change the mood we are a part of a continuing problem.

Offline

 

#7 2010-01-04 13:24:57

I still say it comes down to change. If we change leadership of this town, it will go a long way towards restoring civility and respect from the taxpayers. We can debate and discuss issues until we are blue in the face, but nothing will change until we have leaders who understand fiscal responsibility, accountability, and professional demeanor. The current leaders of this town have shown little respect for the will of the citizens and obviously have forgotten who they serve.

The anonymous approach is the results of this type of behavior. If you do business in this town or work for the town, it's better to remain nameless as they current BOS has shown they will take revenge on anyone who doesn't agree with them. (remember the 7 minutes of Exec Session?)

IMO, the only thing that will right this ship and move it forward is change in the leadership. Then you will see screen names become real names, at least on this site.

Offline

 

#8 2010-01-04 15:12:51

Steve, Voter, Dick and Larry ~         I see your views as all being well meaning.  I see anger and name calling when people are so frustrated that all they can do is vent.   It isn't always a pretty sight but it comes with the territory of having the current BOS.  I know that is how I sometimes feel when I respond to a blogger.

Using our real names can be a danger for some of us.  I am not ashamed of what I blog, but I have to watch my back for multiple reasons.

I was at town meeting and there were some moans coming from the residents, but think back to what was said before the groans started and they had cause.  After all these "leaders" have done to our town, don't expect us to respond with silence.  A lot of the noise came from people around me, who in disbelief made comments to the persons next to them.  Now, multiply that by the large turnout and the moaning sounds like a freight train.  We have always heard a comment called out from the crowd and will probably still at every TM.

That feeling at TM is the same feeling some of us feel on this site.  When Wareham had better leaders (yes, we did!) you didn't here the noise at TM as we had this time.  That was because that group of selectmen were approachable.  They truly invested everything they had to give 110% to the town and residents saw this.  There were no behind the scenes secret meetings.  We need all of the current board removed (sorry, Mr. Cruz).  When this happens, the BIG CHANGE, you will see more people active in town government.  Civility will return on both sides.  We need selectmen to serve the town that will respect the voters and when that happens, they will have earned our respect.  Change of our BOS is a priority.

Offline

 

#9 2010-01-04 16:51:34

Larry McDonald wrote:

..If we change leadership of this town, it will go a long way towards restoring civility and respect from the taxpayers. We can debate and discuss issues until we are blue in the face, but nothing will change until we have leaders who understand fiscal responsibility, accountability, and professional demeanor. The current leaders of this town have shown little respect for the will of the citizens and obviously have forgotten who they serve.

You said it, brother.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Offline

 

#10 2010-01-04 20:59:10

By: robertslager on 1/3/10
I think there are far few people on the hate site that you folks may realize. I think some of them use different screen names. I'm guessing there are about 10-15 of them, tops.


WHY THEN DEVOTE EVERY PAPER AND EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE WRITING ABOUT US? AND FOR CHRIST SAKES YOU MISSPELLED WIERD (SIC) OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN YOUR SUNDAY CHAT. ITS WEIRD BOBO.

Offline

 

#11 2010-01-04 21:20:04

TO I HATESLAGER.
People pay to go his site.  No one pays to come here.  Just a thought.  Thought it made a difference.  It does.

Offline

 

#12 2010-01-04 21:21:53

You know why .. NO one would pay to come here.

Last edited by PinkPanther (2010-01-04 21:31:52)

Offline

 

#13 2010-01-04 21:28:21

The biggest posters here are not from here.
The only thing worse than locals upset is for sure NON locals upset, those that have nothing to lose.

Offline

 

#14 2010-01-04 21:38:33

Pspan,  how old are you?  Like 39?

Offline

 

#15 2010-01-04 21:56:54

I have one more question.  Please forgive my forwardness.  But , are there any police officers that post here?

Offline

 

#16 2010-01-04 22:38:39

Sorry, guess I got a little excited about Thursday.   Steve please do your due dilllies.

Offline

 

#17 2010-01-04 23:10:04

Close but no cigar Pinkie..Why do you ask? How young are you?

..and I guess I'ld pay a small fee to post here (don't put that to the test, I need what little $$ I have..the whole "power elite" thing don't pay so well)..and, the most frequent posters are most certainly from here. I know that for a fact.

Let's see..which Pink Panther episode shall I add?


P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Offline

 

#18 2010-01-05 00:14:59

You must admit,  I have given you so much to work with.  Was that by mistake?  I don't think so.  :P   I do so very much appreciate your talents .   Thank you Darling.   Your so sweet you deserve to be pink!

Last edited by PinkPanther (2010-01-05 00:20:14)

Offline

 

#19 2010-01-05 01:44:16

I wish Slager would get it through his thick skull that this is not a HATE sight.  The only think we HATE is the way our town has been run, by a few incompetents.  These people are slowly trying to destroy a once great town.  It will be that again, hopefully starting in April.

If Bill W asks us to pay, I certainly would.  This site is very informative to the people who really care about Wareham.  Just because some some bloggers are no longer residents of Wareham, doesn't mean that they still don't care about their former home town.  Some of these non-residents still have family here.  Your friend, Paul C, is on this site and he has not lived in Wareham for years.  Do you think he should stop commenting?  Sorry to burst your bubble Pink, but the majority of posters ARE from Wareham.

There are many police officers who post here and you should know that by now, Pink.  I think I may be ill.

Offline

 

#20 2010-01-05 10:37:34

PinkPanther wrote:

The biggest posters here are not from here.
The only thing worse than locals upset is for sure NON locals upset, those that have nothing to lose.

I think you just described a cowardly fabricator to a T :) Non-resident, non-voter...that says it all.

Offline

 

#21 2010-01-05 17:44:44

PINK PANTHER: Their are some of us who owe the Town of Wareham and it's  residence a sence of graditude. In my thirty plus years the people of that great community took care of me and my family. Even though I did not live in Town, I was involved in more groups and charities then some of the complainers. Wareham will always be my village and I am still in Waream everyday. The PD will always be my PD, but when your making statements make sure you know  you what you are talking about. You got a bitch call me I am the only one in all the regional phone books.

Offline

 

#22 2010-01-05 17:56:23

PinkPanther wrote:

The biggest posters here are not from here.
The only thing worse than locals upset is for sure NON locals upset, those that have nothing to lose.

More than half the home owners in this town - the more affluent, those with the most at stake - are seasonal residents and don't vote.

You're picking fights again and that's nice? Good bye pink. Don't come back. I'll know it's you.

Offline

 

#23 2010-01-05 18:42:36

Thanks, Bill.

Offline

 

#24 2010-01-06 00:03:33

Ditto, Bill.  Good deeds are not forgotten.

Offline

 

#25 2010-01-06 01:55:40



P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Offline

 

#26 2010-01-06 08:09:42

I really don't understand the rules here.  Searay/Steve suggests an open debate on this site, but you send Pink Panther away for making insinuations.  Meanwhile there are poster who say terrible personal things about our elected officials.  Okay, I am guilty of finding some of them amusing, but I understand why this is called the "hate blog".  I guess it is okay to insult public figures even on personal issues, but it is not okay to criticize anyone on our side?

So how can you have a discussion if you won't listen to the other side?  How do you expect them to listen to us? Until we start focusing on the issues we aren't going anywhere. 

And Searay/Steve as much as I appreciate your idea, people will not debate cleanly unless they are face to face.  That, more that anything else forces civility.  Although I would like to engage more of the other side here - rather than throwing them off everytime - since I won't pay for the Observer  this is the only way I get to know what their thought and justifications are.

Keep your friends close.  Keep your enemies closer.

Offline

 

#27 2010-01-06 08:40:13

Bluebell....Pink was banned for the 10,000Th time) for being a mole without principle or structure. She is a shill of the troll and will never be able to grasp anything unless her "leader" advises her on what to do and say. She doesn't have a mind of her own, does not grasp the real issues, and has no concept of the practice of having resolutions to obvious problems that exist. She is simply a pawn for people who will never agree with those of us on this site, will do anything to disrupt the good work performed here, and will submit an excuse for every stupid, incompetent action performed by the BOS.
Keep your enemies closer is a good rule of thumb. But, in some cases your enemy isn't significant enough to keep close. Just useless... and it is better for you to let them go.
The troll has plenty of other moles that are capable of a rational and balanced discussion of the issues, but, you probably won't see them on this site.
You can smell who they are....
They are easy to spot and easy to eliminate: ergo...Pink.

Offline

 

#28 2010-01-06 09:01:22

Bluebell wrote:

I really don't understand the rules here.  Searay/Steve suggests an open debate on this site, but you send Pink Panther away for making insinuations.  Meanwhile there are poster who say terrible personal things about our elected officials.  Okay, I am guilty of finding some of them amusing, but I understand why this is called the "hate blog".  I guess it is okay to insult public figures even on personal issues, but it is not okay to criticize anyone on our side?

So how can you have a discussion if you won't listen to the other side?  How do you expect them to listen to us? Until we start focusing on the issues we aren't going anywhere. 

And Searay/Steve as much as I appreciate your idea, people will not debate cleanly unless they are face to face.  That, more that anything else forces civility.  Although I would like to engage more of the other side here - rather than throwing them off everytime - since I won't pay for the Observer  this is the only way I get to know what their thought and justifications are.

Keep your friends close.  Keep your enemies closer.

I think the rules are simple. If you would like to engage in debate, that can certainly be arranged. The problem with any sort of debate is that what is the purpose? I am sure there will be debates by the candidates running for office, but why does it matter if you and I debate? Some would have you believe that we are all hate bloggers, but I would caution you to take a gander at the Sunday night chat on another site. There isn't much difference. There is one difference, you have to PAY to comment there.

Our elected officials are fair game. If you review their history, you see mistake after mistake, poor public behavior, and a complete lack of fiscal responsibility. If you throw in some of the worst personnel decisions I have ever seen, why would they not be fair game. If you want to know what is behind the "great divide" in Wareham, you simply need to look at who is running the town. Leadership sets the tone and they certainly have done that!

Let me make it simple. If I present a fact, then please present a fact to dispute it or counter it. I am tired of political rhetoric. If you look at who is in charge of the town, you see the problem! Violations of open meeting law, emails and public displays of POOR behavior, legal bills that have crippled the town's finances, and ignoring the voice of the people (Town Meeting).

Offline

 

#29 2010-01-07 12:45:42

I'm with BlueBell.  What is the point of a "forum" if debate isn't part of the mix.  I personally like to read opinions regardless of what "side" they come from or what you might perceive the motivation to be. 

Larry..if you'd like to engage in debate, it can be "arranged"?? What does that mean?? And "the problem with any sort of debate is that what is the purpose"???  Really?  You are smarter than that.

I don't know anything about "PinkPanther" but I too was accused of being a "mole" and it sounds like paranoia more than anything else.  Debate is what a democracy is all about and to not support that fundamental right just because someone is perceived to have a different opinion....well, there you go right?  I just typed my way into the answer and I guess what you are saying.  Debate is not welcome on here right?

Banning someone unless they have abused the forum in some way that is uttlerly offensive is ridiculous.  "Banning" someone may give you the feeling of power and control and a tool to shape the message that you are trying to relay but is the equivalent of not allowing someone entrance to town meeting because they may oppose the popular viewpoint.  It is the equivalent of not allowing someone to vote because they aren't voting YOUR way.

The sad thing for me is that I fall on your side in regards to most issues in town and share your opinion, for the most part, on the performance of our elected officials.

Offline

 

#30 2010-01-07 13:35:49

IndependentVoice wrote:

I'm with BlueBell.  What is the point of a "forum" if debate isn't part of the mix.  I personally like to read opinions regardless of what "side" they come from or what you might perceive the motivation to be. 

Larry..if you'd like to engage in debate, it can be "arranged"?? What does that mean?? And "the problem with any sort of debate is that what is the purpose"???  Really?  You are smarter than that.

Based on history, debate between both sides has simply not worked. I AM smarter than that. I dont' want to waste my tiime with speculation and twisted lies, I would rather discuss facts and truth. I am smart enough to know the difference between a debate and banging my head on a brick wall. Again, if you are going to insult my intelligence, use a real name.

I don't know anything about "PinkPanther" but I too was accused of being a "mole" and it sounds like paranoia more than anything else.  Debate is what a democracy is all about and to not support that fundamental right just because someone is perceived to have a different opinion....well, there you go right?  I just typed my way into the answer and I guess what you are saying.  Debate is not welcome on here right?

This is the difference. Some of us DO know enough about PinkPanther to make the claim she was a mole. One of the things that makes me smile is when someone attempts to "school" us on debate. Insults are not debate, you are aware of that?

Banning someone unless they have abused the forum in some way that is uttlerly offensive is ridiculous.  "Banning" someone may give you the feeling of power and control and a tool to shape the message that you are trying to relay but is the equivalent of not allowing someone entrance to town meeting because they may oppose the popular viewpoint.  It is the equivalent of not allowing someone to vote because they aren't voting YOUR way.

Thank you (again) for the lecture. So what you are saying is that if someone comes in here with a valid point, we must also be forced to listen to their insults? You really need to work on your argument. Perhaps we could use the town as an example? In the current administration, bully tactics and well placed appointments have given the elected officials a sense of power and control. HOWEVER, it is not the equivalent of banning someone from town meeting, which was proven when many that oppose their tactics and agenda showed up to vote. In the same way, we do not control the vote, it is an individual right to cast your ballot as you see fit. This is a website. It is open to discussion, but it is not open to someone who comes in here to insult and impress their distorted philosophy. That is especially true when they start their diatribe with, "I don't know anything about (insert name here)" . Again, you show how misguided you are by drawing conclusions from a lack of research and background.

The sad thing for me is that I fall on your side in regards to most issues in town and share your opinion, for the most part, on the performance of our elected officials.

Why is that sad? It is abundantly clear that many people in this town fall on "our side". This is a website owned and operated by one person or a group of people. If we choose to post here, we follow their rules. It is not the same as a democracy, and I would hope that someone appears to question intelligence would be aware of that.

Personally, that is two shots you have taken at my intelligence, so if any of the owners of this website decide you are wasting their time, then so be it. I would think you were intelligent enough to learned the first time, but apparently not.

Offline

 

#31 2010-01-07 13:41:52

I just want to add:
If you have specific items you want to discuss, feel free to post them.

Offline

 

#32 2010-01-07 13:56:01

The problem with this site is that your are mostly preaching to the choir.  You are assuming that everyone is as well versed in the issues as you are.  People who wander on this site because of the publicity given by Slager or the BOS who are looking for another viewpoint must be totally turned off but the "our way or get off" view.  Just because people voted for the current BOS or work on boards or committees now doesn't mean they agree with every decision or opinion voiced.
I agree with a majority of what is said here, but I definitely don't like the way it is said.

Do you know how much of this town is univolved and uncaring about the April election?  By squabbling about debate and painting dissenters as moles, trolls, turtles or whatever, you are only alienating those people we need to help change things in April.  There is a lot of middle ground in Wareham that needs to be covered.

Offline

 

#33 2010-01-07 14:08:23

Bluebell,
Again, you are preaching to the choir. Several people read this site wiithout commenting. Some have good intentions are here to learn, and others are just looking for something to be negative about. Perhaps the best way to state this is people are working to behind the scenes to get the message out. When someone comes on this site and immediately insults or makes rude comments about a poster, why would people react any different? If you show up at someone's house and introduce yourself and then insult another guest or the host, do you think they are going to welcome you with open arms. It's one thing to to state that you are looking for answers or posing legitimate questions, but play the innocent card after the fact? Truth be told, we are all guests here.

As far as the town goes, just because it is not discussed on this website, does that mean nothing is happening behind the scenes? Think about it. :)

Offline

 

#34 2010-01-07 16:09:27

Independent and bluebell forgot to say....tool... oh my head.... hateful...can't you face that...can't you accept that....can't you trust anyone....etc.,etc.,etc.

Offline

 

#35 2010-01-07 16:37:45

Larry -  Insult your intelligence?  I actually said "you are smarter than that".  I state my opinion and somehow I'm insulting you.  I'm being critical no doubt but in no way did I insult your intelligence.  Then if someone is critical, they are a mole or have some super secret agenda.

Unless you hand out secret passwords, any website - especially one that allows for the posting of comments in a very public and open way - is subject to a variety of opinions; many that you might not like.  This is NOT someone's house and that's the difference.  Public issues are discussed on this site in a very public way and while I don't always agree with some of the personal attacks that I have read on this site, you certainly don't have to "wipe your feet" when you come onto this forum.  Noone is "invited", you simply walk in the door.

Sure, you can ban who you want for whatever reason you deem appropriate - it is your site.  It simply doesn't reflect very well on the purpose of this forum; which I thought was to present facts about the issues, express opinions about the issues and to provide a consolidated, "one-stop shopping resource" of information on the issues as presented and discussed by its' participants.

I don't quite understand this concept of "moles".  Perhaps you do know who some of the people are but I can tell you for a fact that I was accused of being a mole and it couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth.  Besides, what are you afraid of?  Is someone who flat disagrees with you labeled a mole?  Let's say "moles" as you define them do exist and participate on this forum?  How does that hurt?  Why the paranoia? 

I'm rambling now but I spend more time reading than posting because I truly find many of the posts informative if at times feeling like there is some "inside baseball".   I especially like reading when new opinions and ideas are presented and discussed.  What I don't like are the personal attacks and the "beat down" that often follows. 

By the way Larry, I'm very well aware that insults do not constitute debate.  In fact, this is something I've railed about on this site since I first started posting.  However, simply disagreeing or presenting a different idea is NOT an insult....THAT is debate.

If PinkPanther is "mole", I don't really care and I don't know why you do.  Unless PinkPanther is spreading a computer virus or hijacking the site, what is to be afraid of?  What is the harm??

Last edited by IndependentVoice (2010-01-07 16:39:57)

Offline

 

#36 2010-01-07 17:07:46

Once again, the decision was not ours to make. Bill made the call, and he has a right to do so, for whatever reason he wants. He made this site possible (as far as I know)..
Is it okay for people to disagree or agree with his decision? Sure.

IV, you wrote:
"It simply doesn't reflect very well on the purpose of this forum; Which I thought was to present facts about the issues, express opinions about the issues and to provide a consolidated, "one-stop shopping resource" of information on the issues as presented and discussed by its' participants."

Based on that..Did Pinky (or her "banned" of brothers) "provide a consolidated, "one-stop shopping resource" of information on the issues"?? I don't think so. Maybe the closest that I read was Ms Lilly, in that regard, but she's a tin foil hatter fer shur ; )

If you get a chance to read through one of their Sunday night chats, you'll find that they are guilty of many of the things they claim about us here. Except, while our focus is on the elected officials (fair game)..and Ragman (he brings it on himself)..Their focus is on private citizen's..and while much of what we discuss is a matter of public record (and can be verified)..they muddle around in hearsay and often, perpetuated lies.

My one cent (1/2 price Thursday)

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-07 17:45:16)

Offline

 

#37 2010-01-07 17:50:44

I own this site. When problems surface, I address them, usually after weighing the views of the site's more active participants.

In this case, that was not necessary. PinkPather was repeatedly asked to stop starting pointless arguments and refused to comply.

I've assembled and managed computer networks, bulletin boards and websites coast to coast for 25 years. Warehamobserver.com is the first network enterprise in all those years that forced me to ban participants, and right out of the gate, too, when someone wished death on a terminally ill woman.

This is not a commercial venture, as you may have noticed. My only purpose here is to encourage discussion. Anything deviating from that purpose, I will fix anyway I can.

Free speech is never a right, at least not on this planet. It's a revocable privilege.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by billw (2010-01-07 22:00:38)

Offline

 

#38 2010-01-07 18:12:35

IndependentVoice wrote:

Larry -  Insult your intelligence?  I actually said "you are smarter than that".  I state my opinion and somehow I'm insulting you.  I'm being critical no doubt but in no way did I insult your intelligence.  Then if someone is critical, they are a mole or have some super secret agenda.

It is an insult to be critical while talking down to someone, which you did. I didn't call you a mole, but I do think you have an agenda that isn't entirely supportive.

Unless you hand out secret passwords, any website - especially one that allows for the posting of comments in a very public and open way - is subject to a variety of opinions; many that you might not like.  This is NOT someone's house and that's the difference.  Public issues are discussed on this site in a very public way and while I don't always agree with some of the personal attacks that I have read on this site, you certainly don't have to "wipe your feet" when you come onto this forum.  Noone is "invited", you simply walk in the door.

This IS someone's house. We are all guests here. We play the rules that are made by the OWNER if this site. I don't always agree with everything said, but I have managed to NOT get banned. I don't recall coming in here calling posters name, which you did. If you don't agree with the personal attacks, then why start out by attacking other posters? You can't have it both ways. You really have this superiority complex. You seem to be able to judge education, intelligence and assume you can say what you want before crticizing others for the same actions.

Sure, you can ban who you want for whatever reason you deem appropriate - it is your site.  It simply doesn't reflect very well on the purpose of this forum; which I thought was to present facts about the issues, express opinions about the issues and to provide a consolidated, "one-stop shopping resource" of information on the issues as presented and discussed by its' participants.

I just want to make this clear. It isn't MY site. I am a guest here, just like you. Again, you want to get pompous. The reason this site was started is because of the lies and twisted politcal spin that was being fed to the people of Wareham. There are many facts that have been "presented" on here. I'm not sure debate was the original goal, but there have also been several debates on here. Again, if you want to discuss something with the posters on here, don't start with insults to the posters and taking the "arrogant" position.

I don't quite understand this concept of "moles".  Perhaps you do know who some of the people are but I can tell you for a fact that I was accused of being a mole and it couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth.  Besides, what are you afraid of?  Is someone who flat disagrees with you labeled a mole?  Let's say "moles" as you define them do exist and participate on this forum?  How does that hurt?  Why the paranoia?

Again, I have no problem with you disagreeing, I have a problem with your use of personal attacks and then playing innocent. You need to move off the whole mole thing and start discussing issues. Me thinks you protest too much!


By the way Larry, I'm very well aware that insults do not constitute debate.  In fact, this is something I've railed about on this site since I first started posting.  However, simply disagreeing or presenting a different idea is NOT an insult....THAT is debate.

Again, you came in here slinging insults, so step off the pedestal.

If PinkPanther is "mole", I don't really care and I don't know why you do.  Unless PinkPanther is spreading a computer virus or hijacking the site, what is to be afraid of?  What is the harm??

I guess I will just say, I don't care if Pink is a mole, but i certainly don't want to listen to her dribble. I didn't make the decision to ban her, so take that  up with management. it always amazes me when someone starts discussing computer viruses and how they are propagated. Do you have a background in IT? If so, perhaps you can enlighten me on how this works?

Look, I have used the ignore button before. If i think someone is just motor mouthing and not truly adding thing to the discussion, I will put them on ignore. I don't make the decision on banning, but IF I did, I would give people a chance and then if they are here just to twist and spin, I would likely ask them to support their statements or hit the road.

I certainly would not come in calling posters names or making pompous statements about them, like you did :)

Offline

 

#39 2010-01-07 18:14:21

Sorry, I agree with what Bill W said. It's his HOUSE.

Offline

 

#40 2010-01-07 19:04:32

Yes...it is Bill's house. He is wise enough who to invite in. He is wiser to know who to entertain for any extended period of time.
Once the guest becomes a bore, or drunk, arrogant, opinionated without conversation, negative, convoluted and obnoxious, he graciously escorts them out and asks them never to darken his door again.
He was well brought up.
Very nice...very polite.
He even says goodbye.

Offline

 

#41 2010-01-07 19:08:43

Dan,

You always seem to get to the point in 4 sentences or less. Those must have been some quick meetings when you were on the BOS.

Offline

 

#42 2010-01-07 19:41:45

Bill has a long history and experience in the website business. He has created this site and many post / read information here. The exchange of ideas and the back and forth on issues, along with the addition of the videos of meetings, and documents make this a good resource for people that want to get information.

Everyone will not agree on every issue or topic, nor should that be expected. I think a healthy discussion on issues, and consideration of all opinions make the solutions stronger and better.

Consider this statement if you would:

We are a seaside community that has no money, and no public plan to rectify that situation.


We can go back and forth assigning blame, one side may end up being right, and 12 - 24 months from now we will still be in receivership.

As long as there are distractions.....this issue continues to remain publicy silent. I know there are many of you working on various plans and possible solutions, but at some point we need to publicly turn our attention to our Town Finances.

Offline

 

#43 2010-01-07 19:57:00

searay240 wrote:

Dan,

You always seem to get to the point in 4 sentences or less. Those must have been some quick meetings when you were on the BOS.

Makes you wish he was still here.

Offline

 

#44 2010-01-07 20:09:32

We have visited Dan's area in Florida, which is also a seaside community. The revenue we saw being generated there, even though it was off season was quite impressive. There were many attractive spots to visit and spend dollars.

Offline

 

#45 2010-01-07 20:31:07

Well said  Steve! We are but humble guests at Bill W's house. If some folks want to come in here with attitudes and insults, then they get what they deserve.

On a lighter note, I'm torn with the BCS Championship. Bama is an SEC team, but Nick Saban is Nick Saban. Besides TN/Bama is a very heated rivalry. Then you have Texas. We all remember the whole Chris Simms episode and what followed. But how can you not love Mack Brown (and his brother Watson)?

Offline

 

#46 2010-01-07 20:36:31

searay240 wrote:

We have visited Dan's area in Florida, which is also a seaside community. The revenue we saw being generated there, even though it was off season was quite impressive. There were many attractive spots to visit and spend dollars.

good point steve.. there are soooo many small store fronts that are empty.. the new mall is nice but its the small businesses that need help to thrive.. also the hotel ADM is proposing is great..

Offline

 

#47 2010-01-07 20:39:54

searay240 wrote:

We have visited Dan's area in Florida, which is also a seaside community. The revenue we saw being generated there, even though it was off season was quite impressive. There were many attractive spots to visit and spend dollars.

Okay EVERYONE,  pack your belongings.  Wareham is moving to Dan's area in Florida.    Yeah!  A little cold this week, but NO SNOW!

Offline

 

#48 2010-01-07 20:41:53

born, larry has said that often these past few weeks.. his sister lives in FL..

Offline

 

#49 2010-01-07 20:42:25

Maybe Dan can comment, when he has a chance. One site we visitied served breakfast and lunch on the beach, with some afternoon entertainment. The place was packed everyday. He would have the deal on the financial arrangements with the Town, but I think it was a leasing deal. Parking at all the beach sites we visited was free.

Offline

 

#50 2010-01-07 20:43:46

Sorry I am late...my wife and I were practicing on the Wii Mario game. It is nostalgic that we used to play into the wee hours of the morning while the boys slept in their bunk beds.
Yes...we did have some quick meetings, but that was because everyone was knowledgeable about the issues before us and were informed and up to date abut everything that came before us...shame on you if you are not...

Offline

 

#51 2010-01-07 20:45:43

searay240 wrote:

We have visited Dan's area in Florida, which is also a seaside community. The revenue we saw being generated there, even though it was off season was quite impressive. There were many attractive spots to visit and spend dollars.

This is what drives me nuts. Instead of promoting our assets, we get behind the eight ball by poor fiscal spending. Imagine how we could have utilized the legal fees we have wasted? How about the settlements we have paid to former employees? Something as simple as having a full staff of MM employees to maintain the beaches and "beautify" the parks. Lifeguards would be an asset. Perhaps we could apply that money to advertising for summer visitors? Promoting economic growth? Now that Bay Pointe is moving forward, imagine how visitors would react to more retail/food choices in Onset? How about parking on Swift's beach in that padlocked piece of land?

We need new leadership to bring these ideas to fruition! Are you listening Steve? Instead of recycling the same cronies that seem to be on every committee and board, let's look for new blood to breathe life into this sleepy little town.

Offline

 

#52 2010-01-07 20:46:42

danoconnell wrote:

Sorry I am late...my wife and I were practicing on the Wii Mario game. It is nostalgic that we used to play into the wee hours of the morning while the boys slept in their bunk beds.
Yes...we did have some quick meetings, but that was because everyone was knowledgeable about the issues before us and were informed and up to date abut everything that came before us...shame on you if you are not...

GASP!!!! what a concept reading and being prepared for a meeting... dan want to come up and do a lecture??

Offline

 

#53 2010-01-07 20:51:36

The restaurant that Steve mentions is called Cafe on the Beach. It is County owned and on County and City of Bradenton Beach and the Islands beach and is leased out annually.
The bids go out every three years. the highest bidder takes the contract and can operate the restaurant, gift shop, rentals of beach chairs, etc., and make a good profit while paying the County a set fee and a percentage of the profits.
We used to do the same thing in Onset when the Town leased out the old bath houses and had little burger and clam joint's serving food and paying the Town the rental plus a percentage. That also went out to bid. I don't know what ever happened to that idea...but  understand it is no longer done...too bad

Offline

 

#54 2010-01-07 20:53:59

I don't want to hear about how "chilly" it is/was in FLA...we could ice skate to work!!
Buy a sweater!!

LM..I'm a football fan (Pro)..and what you wrote reads like Chinese to me..BCS, ahh..

Steve..great point on the need for economic develpment in Town. I hope we see the plans ADM have proposed start to come to fruition, as well as Bay Pointe (now that they can bring proposals up for consideration). Wareham's a great destination, not just a "drive thru"

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Offline

 

#55 2010-01-07 20:57:16

pspan that my point exactly tourists and others pit stop here gas, coffee, quick bite to eat... we only have 1 hotel that isnt on the police logs every week and it is small.. get ppl to stay the night enjoy the beaches the shops..

Offline

 

#56 2010-01-07 20:58:07

I recently sat down with a major local business. I will leave his name out. While many in the industry saw difficulties over the past 18 months, their strategy was to cut back, skim operations, and let employees go. Some of those businesses today have closed.

This particular gentleman, took a different approach, he actually expanded services, increased operations, and kept moving forward. His recent numbers prove that even in this difficult economy it is possible to be successul, with the right attitude and PLAN.

Recently we watched a combined group of BOS, School, and Finance Committees meet.  I spoke with Bruce after the meeting and commended him on keeping the meeting on track and civil.  I also suggested this type of meeting take place more often.

If you look at the list of suggestions, apparently devloped by our former TA. Most of the suggestions centered on cutting people, services, and departments. If you compare this to the above scenario of the local business, we may want to consider a different path.

Offline

 

#57 2010-01-07 21:00:53

I am going to be writing about this in the next few days, but, you  must understand that when I was a Selectman we were polite, knowledgeable, respectful representatives of the people of the Town of Wareham. We didn't agree on everything, but we never disagreed about our individual commitment to the Town. We may have disagreed on issues, but never on principles. We would compromise our positions, but never our principles...and no one would EVER disrespect a citizen of the Town of Wareham the way I have watched in the last few months.
If a Selectman acted that way when I was in office one, or all, of the other Selectmen would have torn him a new ass...which is what the Chairman needs.
Bring respect back to the office...but your have to earn respect, and that is what I think you are all doing now on this site.
You are, in my opinion, the salvation of the Town of Wareham.

Offline

 

#58 2010-01-07 21:02:34

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

pspan that my point exactly tourists and others pit stop here gas, coffee, quick bite to eat... we only have 1 hotel that isnt on the police logs every week and it is small.. get ppl to stay the night enjoy the beaches the shops..

Play a couple of rounds of golf, take the kids to Water Wizz, eat all over the place, etc., etc.. Hey, just give them someplace to get away from all the Cape traffic.

Steve, who's that guy?? Tell him to fill out his Selectman candidate papers!!!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Offline

 

#59 2010-01-07 21:02:40

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

born, larry has said that often these past few weeks.. his sister lives in FL..

We can stay two weeks at Dan's and then two weeks at Larry's sisters.

Works for me!

Offline

 

#60 2010-01-07 21:05:13

bornofwareham wrote:

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

born, larry has said that often these past few weeks.. his sister lives in FL..

We can stay two weeks at Dan's and then two weeks at Larry's sisters.

Works for me!

thats cool with me.. just dont bring mama any donuts..

Offline

 

#61 2010-01-07 21:09:09

danoconnell wrote:

The restaurant that Steve mentions is called Cafe on the Beach. It is County owned and on County and City of Bradenton Beach and the Islands beach and is leased out annually.
The bids go out every three years. the highest bidder takes the contract and can operate the restaurant, gift shop, rentals of beach chairs, etc., and make a good profit while paying the County a set fee and a percentage of the profits.
We used to do the same thing in Onset when the Town leased out the old bath houses and had little burger and clam joint's serving food and paying the Town the rental plus a percentage. That also went out to bid. I don't know what ever happened to that idea...but  understand it is no longer done...too bad

The last person to run it had a family member in charge of running the "Beach Comber".  Apparently she did not pay what was owed to the town due to a personal problem.  When the bidder found out, he went to the town to pay for the previous year and pay ahead for the current year.  They told him that because he was late, the contract would not be honored.   So, rather than take the man's money - up front - they left it vacant, with no revenue.   We have had a study group trying to spruce up the building.  We need showers and dressing rooms like we used to have.  More revenue.  Unfortunately, we have about 20 skunks living under the building.  Lovely!

Offline

 

#62 2010-01-07 21:16:17

Steve,
Another example of how leadership is the key. The industry I am sufferred a great market drop at the end of 2008 and in the 1st quarter of 2009. It drove many of the companies we do business with into bankruptcy and consolidation. Our management team was prepared for the market fallout and not only managed to negotiate the bad times, but we just completed a major capital project that will not only drive revenue but position our company to take advantage of the current market conditions (which are vastly improved). If I don't preach it enough, LEADERSHIP, LEADERSHIP, LEADERSHIP! Our town needs business professionals that have demostrated the key points:
1. Fiscal responsibility
2. Accountability
3. Excellent personnel skills

Offline

 

#63 2010-01-07 21:16:31

He is not interested in running for office. However he certainly would be willing to devote some time to serve on a financial advisory group, with other business owners and town reps to help develop a plan for our economic growth.

Offline

 

#64 2010-01-07 21:17:51

Well...you have a very large cash flow into the Town's coffers without responsibility to the running of the operation except for the proper legal activities and the safe and clean conditions of the vendor.
Lots of money is available, but, of course, it is summer money and as long as you know that you can have it run properly and profitably.
The Cafe on the Beach does well all year round, but the locals go there after the "Snow birds" leave in April. Kind of like you all when the "Seagulls" go home in September.
Parking can always be resolved. Steve also saw the trolley that we have that takes anyone for free all over the Islands from one end of the County to the other end of the Island.
People park their cars in motels or hotels they are staying at, or at public access spaces, hop on the trolley and ride anywhere they want for free all day long.
Tourist taxes pays for the operation and many people are employed because of the work available for drivers and maintenance people.

Offline

 

#65 2010-01-07 21:22:04

I'm getting my luggage out as we speak!

Offline

 

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com