• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » Bldg Insp: Stoughton vs. Wareham, an interesting comparison

#1 2011-07-07 17:45:30

Good afternoon all, after a little hiatus. The Patriot-Ledger had an article this past weekend about the town of Stoughton hiring a building inspector. In a similar vein to my many postings showing comparisons between the Wareham police chief salary rumors & then fact, the comparison between Stoughton & Wareham is odious, with the stench emanating from the more southern of the two. There follows the Patriot-Ledger article and the posting of the vacancy for a building inspector in Wareham from the Massachusetts Municipal Association (MMA).

**********************************************************************************************
STOUGHTON —
Town Manager Francis T. Crimmins Jr. has appointed a new building commissioner and chief pump station operator for the Department of Public Works.
Thomas McGrath of Milton, who has been the assistant building inspector in Salem, will become building commissioner in Stoughton effective July 18.
Crimmins said McGrath has a bachelor’s degree from Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., and a master’s degree in architecture from the Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture and Planning.
He is a certified building official and a registered architect in Massachusetts, Crimmins said.
John Mitchell of Lowell, general manager of contract operations for the Weston and Sampson Services Co., joined the Stoughton DPW as chief pump station operator on Friday.
Mitchell has a bachelor’s degree from Franklin Pierce College and is licensed by the state in water treatment and distribution and wastewater operations.
Crimmins also announced that Thomas Rorrie has agreed to remain on as interim treasurer-collector while a search is made for his replacement.
“I am excited to have Mr. McGrath and Mr. Mitchell joining our team, and I thank Mr. Rorrie for his dedication and continued willingness to serve the town of Stoughton,” Crimmins said.
Vicki-Ann Downing may be reached at vdowning@enterprisenews.com.
#############################################################################

Local Building Inspector, Town of Wareham

Local Building Inspector
Town of Wareham
The town of Wareham has an opening for a Building Inspector to perform technical and inspection work and to have thorough knowledge related to enforcement, interpretation, and compliance with the Mass. State Building Code, local zoning ordinance, and other applicable regulations and all other related work as required. Investigate/act on alleged violations, issue notices and orders to rectify illegal or unsafe conditions and follow-up. Receive and review plans for building construction or alterations to determine compliance and keep records of all inspections and approved plans. High school grad with five years experience in supervision of building construction or design or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Mass. Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License, ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and plans, and prepare necessary diagrams. Salary commensurate with experience. 40 hours week. Submit letter and resume by 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 21, to: Town Administrator, Memorial Town Hall, 54 Marion Road, Wareham, MA 02571. AA/EEO. (posted 7/6 exp. 7/21)
#############################################################################

Although it is not stated in the news article, it is my understanding that the Stoughton position pays in the low $80,000's. Stoughton is somewhat larger than Wareham, about 28-29,000 population; and somewhat more complex in terms of commercial/industrial development. Given those facts, let's make some comments.

1. The new Stoughton BI has both BS and MS degrees. The Wareham ad seeks a high school grad.

2. The new Stoughton BI is ALREADY CERTIFIED in Massachusetts !!! What a concept !!!

3. The Wareham ad states the position is 40 hours. So. Is the Town going from Myles plus a part-timer, to Myles plus a full-timer? Is the FY 2012 department budget approved for that change? Has the FinCom signed off on such a change?

4. It is my understanding that the new Stoughton BI will be doing all of the required inspections in the Town, AS WELL AS THE ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONS OF A DEPARTMENT HEAD. Thus, the larger Town of Stoughton will be getting the services of the TWO people in the Wareham department for the price of Myles alone.

You get the government you deserve. what are going to do about it?

By the way, Stoughton would hardly rank very high on anyone's list of well-run Towns. What does that say about Wareham ???

#2 2011-07-07 18:37:59

I'm a high school grad.  Where do I apply to be a building inspector?

"Hey, building inspector!  Wanna inspect this building?"

"Sure!  Yup, that's a building, alright!"

#3 2011-07-07 20:49:59

AF

Please correct me if I am wrong, but a Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's License, is a driver's license.  Our building inspector is required to have a high school diploma and a driver's license. 

This ship is sunk.

#4 2011-07-07 21:51:09

Damn, I have a driver's license too!  Bring on the buildings, I'm ready to inspect!

• Home
  •  » Wareham Water
  •  » Bldg Insp: Stoughton vs. Wareham, an interesting comparison

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com