#1 2011-04-08 13:20:41

.Breaking NewsZaleski’s attorney says firing timed to influence election ...Zaleski’s attorney says firing timed to influence election.By Frank Mulligan
Wicked Local Wareham
Posted Apr 08, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

WAREHAM — An attorney hired by former Town Accountant Elizabeth Zaleski said her firing was timed to influence the town election and wants a public hearing into the termination in which Selectman Cara Winslow would be called to testify.

Attorney John J. Clifford stated in a letter to be hand-delivered to town officials today that he would “require the opportunity to question Selectwoman Cara Winslow regarding her role in the termination, as she apparently called for Mrs. Zaleski’s termination prior to April 4.”

That was the date Town Administrator Mark Andrews sent Zaleski notice of her firing by certified mail.

He also issued a press release Monday, April 4, stating Zaleski was fired, “Because reconciliations were not being made by the town accountant in a timely manner, the auditors revealed an alleged material variance of $919,000 between the treasurer’s records and the general ledger as of June 30, 2010 according to the audit report.”

Winslow had called for Zaleski to be fired “and/or” Andrews to resign in a letter distributed to the media on Thursday, March 31, a day following the Finance Committee meeting.

“The timeline of events is really curious on this issue,” Clifford said.

He said Zaleski was being pressured to resign on Friday, and the decision was made to fire her Monday. The press release was issued before she received the notification she was being fired, Clifford said.

She has the right to request a public hearing under the charter.

While Clifford said they would exercise it, he questioned whether Zaleski would get a fair hearing since the decision had already been made.

“Effectively, there can’t be any due process once they’ve decided to terminate her.”

Knowing that she was entitled to a hearing, Clifford pointed to the timing of the Monday press release. “What was the urgency there? The urgency obviously was there was an election to take place the next day.”

He said, “I think the people of the town of Wareham would be surprised to find out – at least according to the town charter – Mrs. Zaleski hasn’t been fired” officially since her hearing has yet to be held.

But, he noted, he had discussed the issue with Town Counsel Rich Bowen and Zaleski cannot report back to the office pending a hearing’s outcome.

Clifford added she was fired on the basis of a “draft management” report and should have been allowed a chance to respond.

Instead, he said, “Apparently, the day after the draft audit came out, Mrs. Zaleski was locked out of the computer system and a day or two later she was fired. Clearly, she had no opportunity to respond to the draft management letter.”

And, he also touched on the reconciliation issue.

“Reconciliation can’t be performed by one person. It requires the cooperation of other officials. It can’t be laid at the feet of one person.”

He said they would pursue all legal avenues. “They have fired my client without due process with over a year left in her contract. They have attempted to ruin her reputation.”

Read more: Zaleski’s attorney says firing timed to influence election - Wareham, MA - Wicked Local Wareham http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/arch … z1Ix9MyDPu

#2 2011-04-08 13:30:49

The decision was the TA's and the TA's alone.  This just sounds like an unhappy person grasping at straws, in my opinion.

#3 2011-04-08 13:35:55

Well, well, well.

It seems that your superStar town Adm. is up to his eyeballs, again. "Hi, Senator!"

More hearings. More lawsuits. More money down the ol' rathole.

Now, not too many on this website thought too highly of Biz and her contract. Fair enough. But, what is the ongoing problem with the so-called leaders of the Town and a concept known as "due process"?  It may have been inappropriate for her to be allowed in the door in the first place; but that doesn't justify a failure to procede properly in getting her out the door.

Even Biz's lawyer gets into the act, attempting to pin the blame on Cara Winslow. Say what? Andrews has snuggled up, nice 'n cozy, to the hypocrite elite members of the BoS; as evidenced in the one coherent thing that Brenduh the Bellowing Banshee got out of her mouth, i.e. the 'deal' with Stanley. So, are we now to believe that Presto! Chango! Ms. winslow has some Svengali-like power over Andrews? and pigs can fly backwards out of what orifice? (Wayne's World).

It gets stranger & stranger in the Gateway to Cape Cod.

#4 2011-04-08 13:47:53

I believe it would have been up to the TA to ensure that Biz was fired in a manner that followed due process, and he should have arranged for any required hearings before the firing as needed  (if in fact, any were required).

I read Winslow's letter, it just said she should be fired, not that she should be fired without due process.

I think we all need to stand up for Cara Winslow on this one.  She saw a wrong and she alerted the public to it.  She shouldn't be raked over the coals for doing something that every selectman should do.

#5 2011-04-08 13:51:45

The month before election in Wareham stinks because any action you take, you get accused of trying to interfere with the election.  You have to just sit on your hands and take a nap and let everything go for a month just to make everyone happy.  Even apparently when faced with an unaccounted for $919,000, you're just supposed to sit there and do nothing until after election day.

In the end, it didn't interfere with the election.  Faced with the crap sandwich of an administration that can't account for $919,000, the voters bellied up to the bar for another three year bite.

#6 2011-04-08 14:00:20

I have said from the beginning and always will.. good for Cara Winslow!

#8 2011-04-08 21:15:34

If Brenda & Jane would have stopped interrupting Cara every time she tried to speak, she wouldn't have needed to write a letter in the first place.  I have seen them time and time again, cut her down in the middle of a question or statement.  Very Rude women!  Cara did the people in this town a huge favor in letting us know what is going on.  I hope she writes letters to the townspeople on a regular basis.

#9 2011-04-11 15:16:47

Just a couple thoughts on this. I think Biz will have hard time proving she was fired without cause. Read the through the draft audit and that will answer your questions. P & S clearly state that the accounting staff does not possess the necessary competency. As far as blaming this on Cara, not a chance of that happening.

What is interesting is Biz has plenty of inside information :) She has been "in the know" for some time now. Mr. Andrews should be hunkering down because I have a feeling she will not hold back.....unless....they decide to settle before the public hearing. .....

Just my opinion, they should have the hearing. If nothing else, it should be very interesting :)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com