#1 2011-04-08 18:57:58

Long ago, in another lifetime, I dreamed of making big scores in Real Estate. Spent hours glued to late night cable TV, listening to the RE gurus yak, even bought a few books & tapes. Tried to think about how I could use OPM (other people's money) to get rich & retire early. Had to move the box of books & tapes in the garage the other day, to get at something I needed.

But forget dreams, Stanley & the donahues are about to pull the kind of RE score we all can only dream about. They'll use OPM, as in YOUR Money. Here's how.

If you check such things as Zillow (using caution, their data is sloppy at best), you  will find that the median price for a single-family dwelling in North Andover is about 50% higher than in Wareham. Reports are (can't cite rumors and get any interested parties with their shorts in a knot) that Stanley is in line for a $2,000/month housing allowance. Which, of course, is actually a transfer payment from the town to the deserving (?) Donahues; when Stanley checks out each & every rental within a 15-mile radius and just happens to choose the Donahue abode. Are you with me so far?

BUT, what about the former residence in North Andover? Well. could Stanley rent that place for $3,000/month, given that N.Andover values are 50% +/- higher than Wareham?  Therefore, Stanley gets a profit of $3,000 less 2,000 = $1,000/month.  Right?????

No, No, No, and uh NO! His 'profit' will be $3,000/month. why? Because the $2,000 paid out to the Donahues is YOUR money, i.e. that OPM that the RE gurus liked so much. So, if he pays nothing, zero, zilch, nada for rent in Wareham; any rent collected in N.Andover goes directly to the MIF category (MIF? that's money-in-fist).

See, I did learn something listening to those RE guru dudes. And, this mini-analysis has many holes due to a lack of real data. But, the principle delineated is intact. Stanley stands to make money on the RE end of the deal. Substantial money. All thanks to you citizen/voters/TAXPAYERS of the Town of Wareham.

Your generosity chokes me up. Or is that a spring allergy?

#2 2011-04-08 20:39:12

stewie wrote:

Spent hours glued to late night cable TV, listening to the RE gurus yak, even bought a few books & tapes.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com