#2 2011-04-05 21:07:19

Lot of money raised and spent on Begley and Schneider.

If they win, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. They, and the other members of the BOS, will wish they were not elected or on the Board in just a few weeks the way things are going.

Town Meeting will have to be your salvation and display of fiscal discipline..

#3 2011-04-05 21:16:47

The official report is Schneider and Begley have grabbed the seats.  As much as I am disappointed by the results I hope they can bring themselves to be civil, respectable to all, and keep a close eye on the towns administrations.

#4 2011-04-05 21:26:15

I wonder what would have happened if one of the close candidates had taken the time to post on this site and asked for your votes and discussed the issues.

Passion on this site was lacking due to the absence of any candidate posting here, in my opinion.

#5 2011-04-05 21:50:32

Very sad results.

Even worse, was the uncouth display by the outgoing selectman at the end of their meeting. Where was the Chair to control the uncivil outburst? Is this what the two new members ae bringing to the table?

Did she (Brenduh) drop the fact that there is a deal with Stanley, that is being held up due to the inability to get three affirmative votes on the BoS? it seemed to be news to S/M Holmes. And Holmes' inquiry to andrews on the point went unanswered. Notice how quickly that gavel came down at that point.

Well, at least the vote for Deputy Moderator should have sent a message to Curly. Give it up!

Feel like I didn't do enough. Too complacent? maybe. I'd like to take the attitude of Lou Gorman, the recently deceased former GM of the Red Sox. "Tomorrow, the sun will come up, and I'll have lunch." Maybe.

Last edited by stewie (2011-04-05 21:52:25)

#6 2011-04-05 22:00:49

Lou Gorman died? That sucks..

#7 2011-04-05 22:20:23

S-T: Begley, Schneider elected to Wareham Board of Selectmen

WAREHAM – Ellen M. Begley and J. Michael Schneider were elected Tuesday to serve on the Board of Selectmen, winning the seats held by Jane Donahue and Brenda Eckstrom, both of whom opted not to seek re-election.

Begley was the top vote-getter with 1,022 votes. Schneider received 879.

Their vote totals bested those of four other candidates: Jennifer Ann Peterson (790), Frank X. DeFelice (680), Donna M. Bronk (468), and John P. Cronan (323).

In the other contested race in town, Joseph J. Ashley was elected deputy town moderator, defeating John T. Donohue 1,198-849.

--Anika Clark

#8 2011-04-05 22:39:34

These two idiots are already begging Stanley to stay and love Andrews.

I hope the other three have their heads on straight and can't possibly be swayed by these two malcontents, who don't even LIKE the system of government.

One can only hope they will be insignificant and window dressing. 

Think this site could have given someone a couple of hundred votes to win the damn election?

Lesson learned to future candidates.

#9 2011-04-05 23:03:18

It's a shame that people talked bronk into staying in the race. Thanks for that. That could have meant the race. Thanks to the people that tried to talk others into throwing their hats to Cronan. What a waste. But Curley did get his ass handed to him by a 19 year old!!!

#10 2011-04-05 23:25:46

Better get thick skin because there will be a lot of celebrating and crowing about the victory.

Justifiably so...you had the chance to gloat last year for a year, now it is their turn.

If you don't retrieve your passion, you will be ineffective, not only with the BOS, but Town Meeting, the ULTIMATE authority.

While the other side is laughing and calling you names, get ready for Town Meeting and show them where the power really lies.

It's time to cinch the belt tight, because money will be at a premium, no reserve fund, loss of borrowing power, unable to pay some bills...it ain't gonna' be pretty.

One thing is for sure, regardless of what the two new Selectmen think...Wareham cannot afford to pay a TA and Chief of Police over $300,000.00 total with benefits.

You NEED a grant writer that is competent and a VERY strong and active Finance Committee.

Last edited by danoconnell (2011-04-06 00:24:47)

#11 2011-04-05 23:34:53

Check the amount per vote that was spent on the Begley and Schneider campaigns.

About $3.00 per vote.

Who said money can't buy an election ?

#12 2011-04-05 23:36:01

dano, very few signs out there compared to the last election.  I asked for some for my yard and never got them.  I know they can be expensive but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.  Only a few people when I went to vote after lunch.  Kind of felt the writing was on the wall.

I feel bad that Cara will be up there with those two.  Maybe it's time for a letter writing campaign to various state agencies.  Emails, letters and calls to the TA don't get answered, so where else do we go.  I will be at town meeting again this spring but how do you vote when the town is up in the air financially.  Anything can happen, but we haven't got the money vote on anything pro Wareham.

Time will tell.  I expect the announcement any day now that Stanley will be our new chief.  I was told the other day that if it isn't stanley, it will be Kevin Walsh.  Two peas in a pod.

#13 2011-04-06 00:24:03

What was the turnout percentage wise?

It seems very low...a Selectman winning a seat with just under 900 votes in a Town with 20,000 people and supposedly 16,000 voters.

#14 2011-04-06 00:57:44

danoconnell wrote:

What was the turnout percentage wise?

It seems very low...a Selectman winning a seat with just under 900 votes in a Town with 20,000 people and supposedly 16,000 voters.

from Wareham Week.....
"Just over 2,200 of the town's more than 15,000 voters cast ballots, for a 15% voter turnout."

http://wareham-ma.villagesoup.com/news/ … ator/93500

#15 2011-04-06 01:00:45

justme wrote:

I will be at town meeting again this spring but how do you vote when the town is up in the air financially. 
HEARD THAT TM WILL BE NON $ ARTICLES....
Time will tell.  I expect the announcement any day now that Stanley will be our new chief.  I was told the other day that if it isn't stanley, it will be Kevin Walsh.  Two peas in a pod.
GOD HELP WAREHAM.. MAYBE WE CAN PLANT 1 OF THOSE LAWRENCE $ TREES..

#16 2011-04-06 07:37:16

They were able to get the votes out, we didn’t, and it’s as simple as that. Last time we kicked their butts, this time they won. I love the fact Curly was defeated by a baby.

#17 2011-04-06 07:42:53

those who kept donna bronk in cost us the election , i said she was a trojan horse and with allen slavin in charge of her campaign ,i know it .        also some said frank was uncivel ,well i so glad we got 4 dog nite ellen in and mike in mike 9f in if you want to talk civility ,    i beleave we could have got one or both of our canditates in if donna was not in the mix,. we our in a conflict for good or bad gov, and the other side just cleaned our clock because they are more tenacious.

#18 2011-04-06 07:47:17

hopefully this will bring back holmes to the people that put him in that chair to solidify a 3 to 2 board. i think he has been bitten in the ass enough recently by these snakes to wake up.

#19 2011-04-06 08:08:05

So the groundhog saw his shadow and we get three more years of lousy leadership.

Last edited by GuyIncognito (2011-04-06 08:09:54)

#20 2011-04-06 08:22:36

mackenzie wrote:

They were able to get the votes out, we didn’t, and it’s as simple as that.

No one campaigned last year because it wasn't necessary. This year we couldn't persuade a single candidate to directly engage their voters. This one ain't on us.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com