#1 2011-04-01 17:15:52

The town accountant with no accountant degree has been fired. Anything to say bobo? Still gonna try and blame people that have been gone three years?

#2 2011-04-01 17:17:04

Oh...how they fall on the bottom...now..time to work your way up.

#3 2011-04-01 17:24:50

great, how about miles burke.

#4 2011-04-01 17:46:17

Thank the Lord she wasn't put on administrative leave at full pay.

#5 2011-04-01 18:03:56

Under the assumption that it is true....

Please don't get too far ahead of things. The lack of an accountant creates issues to be addressed, at a price, of course.

1. town Meeting. The votes on spending/borrowing articles are critical to the role & function of the Tn. Acct.

2. then, the Certification of free Cash and the Dor's approval of Schedule A are crucial to the tax-rate setting process.

3. In the tax-rate setting process, the Accountant has starring roles in many, many facets. Estimating local receipts, refining the Town's enterprise fund (sewer), the CPC funds, the revolving funds, and more.

4. DOR. they will not be happy at the bureau of Accounts about another change in Wareham. Bringing in outside help will ameliorate their concern, somewhat. But given a $900K isue, given another personnel change, given their history with Wareham; then you can look forward to Wareham's finances being under a microscope at DOR HQ at 100 Cambridge Street, Boston. For the town, this is not a positive.

5. FY12 Tax Bills ??????????  More to say later. this needs to dovetail with the Assessors thing. Doesn't look good...

#6 2011-04-01 19:14:43

While terminating the town accountant does seem justifiable from the audit report, we cant forget who she answers to and his obvious lack of oversight of the town finances.  I would start with retracting his pay increase that that was evident he had budgeted prior to him even getting the raise, reinstate a probationary period if they can do it and take any of his contract extension off the planning board.
Stewie, thank you for your explaination on the repercussions this could have.

#7 2011-04-01 19:22:45

Now, Andrews, Burke and Marcia - hope you are next.

#8 2011-04-01 19:51:43

what the biz did her books were short about  close to a million ,she did not reconcile her books at all , so what she did is put a jounal entry on the other side of the  books and presto they were balenced.                                                                                                                                                                                  she also got araise recently and a bonus , my god how do you get a bonus for screwing things up , but if you are a cop or a member of muncipal maintence  ,you get a kick in the ass,they have not had a raise in over 4 years.

#9 2011-04-01 21:10:50

By: LenSkynyrd on 4/1/11
I am an accountant, and I have to tell you, if I were currently in the job and didn't bring forward a concern like this to my superior my butt would be out the door too. Sure, the problem started before she got here, but she had to know there was a problem, she had to report it, and she had to be able to fix it, pronto. It's that simple. I saw a list in WW of reported internal control weaknesses. It looks like a very troubling situation to me.

WOW BOBO EVEN LEN GETS IT

#10 2011-04-01 21:12:10

By: LenSkynyrd on 4/1/11
Yes, it would be exclusive to FY 10. I may be wrong, but I interpreted a lot of these comments as still existing. If the problems had been subsequently fixed, I think it would have (should have) been noted in the management letter. I don't like to agree with Larry, and this is probably a once in a lifetime situation where we agree, but you have to be able to reconcile everything or else you cannot rely on anything.......

IS THIS WHY YOU PUT THE DENTIST STORY ON TOP NOW?

#11 2011-04-01 21:19:34

Bobo is the type of guy that farts in a crowded elevator and looks at everyone else!

#12 2011-04-01 21:20:56

maybe the biz can get a job at the water dept?

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com