#1 2011-03-08 22:14:23

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/donnabronk.png

1. What are your views, hopes and/or concerns about “Westfield”?

I was originally against Westfield.  After the Town Meeting vote to have members form a committee that consisted of a Selectman, a Housing Authority member, a Finance Committee member, member of open space and a representative from fields and grounds and a couple of members at large I decided that I would like to sit on this committee.  I honestly felt that the committee represented all aspects of the project that it was going to serve.  I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how we all came together on an agreed project to bring before Town Meeting.  We were all lead to believe that we would be a part of the RFP process.  We were only informed after the fact that their would be a new committee.  I then assumed that the appointing authority which would be the Chair of the BOS, the Chair of the Finn Com and the Town Moderator.  The Chairman of the BOS said that Town meeting did not specify that the Westfield Committee would also review the RFP's.  She also stated that it was not mentioned at Town meeting who would appoint the committee so she would ask her Board.  She said that she did not know how her Board would vote.  The Town Moderator and myself made it clear to Cairman that the appointing authority should appoint this committee.  She disagreed and to take it one step further, she manipulated her board to go along with her and appoint the committee.  In addition to this she had nine people submit applications to the New Committee before it was even made public.  I don't have to tell you who these people were.  The reason I did not vote for Westfield in the first place was I did not trust q former BOS member,  However, I was duped.  I really thought that she was an honorable person.  I then requested an application for the new committee.  I was told that I could not serve on the Finn Com and on the new Westfield Review Committee.  Please understand that I have thirty five years of experience in affordable. market, retail and condominium management.  I asked why would you overlook all that experience.  She refused to answer.  In short the Westfield that I believed we were going to build I was 100 percent behind.  This one, I can only hope for the best.

2. What are your views on the Chief of Police “situation”?

I am 100 percent against a 1 day a week chief.  I am not in favor of paying him more than what we pay our Town Administrator.  He appears to be doing several good things.  I like him personally, however, I do not feel that we can afford him.

3. What are your thoughts on the job performance of Town Administrator Mark Andrews thus far? Which of his decisions have you most agreed with and/or which haven’t you?

The Department of Revenue Report states that one of the major problems in Wareham is lack of consistency when it comes to leadership.  I was a supporter of John McCauliff.  I was shocked when the BOS fired him.  Mark is in a tough situation.  He answers to 5 people. He is constantly playing politics with the BOS.  I do not approve of the way he hired some of the people he has and the money he is giving them, however, the BOS don't  seem to mind.  He walked in to a mess in Wareham.  He has been extremly responsive to me as a Finn Com member.  I have had some problems, however, we have been able to resolve them.  I would like the opportunity to evaluate him as a selectman.  As a Finn Com member we are not privy to what the BOS are.

4. What do you see as the greatest challenge(s) facing Wareham, and how do you plan to address it/them?

a. We need to resolve the chief situation and make sure that our community is as safe as possible.

b.  We need to pursue revenue.  We need to focus on attracting business to our community.  We need to collectively work with the school committee to resolve our budget shortfalls. Our children are the most important assets.  Good schools increase value and we have an obligation to provide our childre with the best possible education.  This does not mean that it has to be the most expensive.  This Town needs to dedicate a small amount each and every year to stabilization.  We have nothing to fall back on in case of an emergency.  I don't care what the current economic climate is, we need to plan.  We have far too much differed maintenance.  It is prudent that we plan ahead.  I am against reactive responses.  We need better planning and budgeting.

5. What would you most like to accomplish as a selectman/selectwoman?

I would encourage better communication.  I would work hard to make sure that our  employees are told how much we appreciate their work.  I want employees to go to work and not be afraid of losing their jobs.  I would listen and process what people have to say. I would not judge a person by their political party and I would be open and honest.  Lastly, I would lead by example.

6. How do you feel about Wareham?

I love Wareham.  I would not have commuted daily for over twenty five years if I did not love this community.

Donna Bronk

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-03-10 23:46:29)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com