#1 2011-02-12 11:24:22

A quick check in the e-Rag to see any commentary there that might be about the COA thing, turned into a stunning surprise. To wit:

Sheila Scaduto, who was recently appointed director of assessment after serving as the interim director since last summer, has suddenly resigned from that position. Town Administrator Mark Andrews, in announcing the news during Tuesday night’s selectmen’s meeting, did not state the reason for Scadato’s resignation, saying only that she “left to pursue other options.”
    “We will be posting the position in the near future,” Andrews said.
    Moments after Andrew announced Scaduto’s promotion to the Board of Selectmen a few weeks ago, Cara Ann Winslow strongly criticized the promotion process, saying a member of the Board of Assessors should have had a role in the hiring. Scaduto was still sitting at the guest table when Winslow made those comments.

Steve Holmes was visibly upset that such comments were made in Scaduto’s presences and apologized on behalf of the board.//

Does anyone know anything about this one?  I missed the BoS meeting on Tuesday.

#2 2011-02-12 12:21:30

Director of Assessment
Town of Wareham
The Town Administrator’s office is accepting applications for the full-time position of Director of Assessment. Education: bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or related field and 10 years experience in real property mass appraisal; supervisory experience of five years or more in a Massachusetts municipal assessing department or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Licensed Certified General Appraiser and Massachusetts Accredited Assessor designation preferred. Must have current Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator’s license. Directs the operations of the assessing department. Administers town-wide appraisal system for all classes of real estate and personal property; views residential, industrial, personal and commercial property, performing field measurements and inspections and places values on them; maintains in-house computer system. A command of revaluation in Massachusetts is essential. Responsible for abatements granted. Testifies at hearings to present data documenting and substantiating assessments before the Appellate Tax Board. Meets with Board of Assessors and furnishes technical information. Meets with taxpayers. Explains and interprets state and local regulations regarding tax assessments. Salary commensurate with experience. Submit letter of interest and resume by 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 11 to: Town Administrator, Memorial Town Hall, 54 Marion Road, Wareham, MA 02571. EOE/AA. (posted 2/11 exp. 3/11)

#3 2011-02-12 13:31:39

I know a couple of people that would qualify, but they won't :).

#4 2011-02-12 14:03:04

Yes, DanO, you got that one right.

but, there are a couple of interesting OVERQUALIFICATIONS described in the job posting. Hmmmm. Does that mean that the applicant pool will shrink down to the one candidate that the T/A has already annoited? From Essex County, just to pick one at random; perhaps in the Lawrence/North Andover vicinity?

See, it's a job opening. It's Wareham. check the track record over the past several years. Not good.

#5 2011-02-12 14:20:59

Now, back to my stolen post from the e-Rag.

Is the about-to-be former employee named SCADUTO  or  SCADATO ???

Is the Town Administrator named ANDREWS or ANDREW ???

And, is it Cara Winslow's fault that the T/A blew off the Bd. of Assessors in making this appointment? Did you all elect Ms. Winslow to sit quietly while the same old bullshit floated by?

Now, I thought that it was incredible that the Town of Wareham had a one-day wonder, who worked here ONE WHOLE day, figured out which way the wind was blowin', and made tracks out of Town. But here, we have a NEVER-WAS; who blew town before the slug-a-beds who claim to manage the Town could even confirm her appointment.

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

Remember, there was a paucity of qualified applicants for the accountant's position after Bob Bliss, resulting in a marginally qualified (at best) candidate getting the job. Given the growing reputation that the Town has for poor relations with employees at the department head level, do you think that the 'best' qualified candidates are going to trip all over themselves to apply to Wareham as the Director of Assessment?

Probably not. Look for more candidates of the 'schlub-a-dub' variety. And, look for those subpar candidates to be characterized by the the t/a's blather as representing a transition from "good to great". More like a continued race to the bottom.

Meanwhile, keep a fixation of April 5, 2011.

Last edited by stewie (2011-02-12 14:22:35)

#6 2011-02-12 14:30:41

stewie wrote:

Now, I thought that it was incredible that the Town of Wareham had a one-day wonder, who worked here ONE WHOLE day, figured out which way the wind was blowin', and made tracks out of Town. But here, we have a NEVER-WAS; who blew town before the slug-a-beds who claim to manage the Town could even confirm her appointment.

Remember the "5 Month Search, 3 Day Tenure"?

Posted by Standard-Times
https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/short-spacer.gifhttps://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/emperorsnewclothes.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#7 2011-02-12 14:36:34

stewie wrote:

Yes, DanO, you got that one right.

but, there are a couple of interesting OVERQUALIFICATIONS described in the job posting. Hmmmm. Does that mean that the applicant pool will shrink down to the one candidate that the T/A has already annoited? From Essex County, just to pick one at random; perhaps in the Lawrence/North Andover vicinity?

See, it's a job opening. It's Wareham. check the track record over the past several years. Not good.

That's good insight there Stewie. I "sorta" felt like he may have done a similiar "creative writing" job when "designing" the job posting for Director of Inspectional Services..which he "awarded" to his former Lawrence "playmate" Myles Burke. Only in that one he "allegedly" met with Burke and Interim Part-Time Police Chief Stanley up in Lawrence (or Andover) prior to the hiring...also, the language in that posting made it possible to allow time in order to actually be qualified for the position, and get the "desired" certifications..and so offer the position at a lower rate (and limit the field). Then, once he got his buddy in the door..he changed the duties of the job..and bumped his pay about 30K. In other words, I think he makes an effort to appear that he's "playing by the rules" while playing by his own set of rules..because, after all..he knows better than any of us how things "really" get done in Massachusetts "politics". Slippery, slimy..snakelike. Don't question what the method is...just be prepared to praise the results (PAY him/Stanley)...and coverup and spin when necessary. No real problem (for them) if it all comes tumbling down..they create themselves a parachute along the way. They can then tell themselves they did their best..and it was pretty good (no lawsuits at least, whew)...where's my bankbook? Us on the other hand...the damage will be done.

Last edited by DDPTRO (2011-02-12 14:43:39)

#8 2011-02-12 14:49:07

DDPTRO wrote:

In other words, I think he makes an effort to appear that he's "playing by the rules" while playing by his own set of rules..because, after all..he knows better than any of us how things "really" get done in Massachusetts "politics". Slippery, slimy..snakelike. Don't question what the method is...just be prepared to praise the results (PAY him/Stanley)...and coverup and spin when necessary

Here's a question, Dave. What do you suppose Mark Andrews paid Steve Holmes to play his servile support for this horror show?

#9 2011-02-12 14:55:34

billw wrote:

Here's a question, Dave. What do you suppose Mark Andrews paid Steve Holmes to play his servile support for this horror show?

I don't know that Steve's been paid a dime. I do think he's "on board" with Andrews. But give him a ring..he might take your call..and maybe even answer that question. Every time Steve drives you crazy..ask yourself if you'ld have preferred Sauvageau..works for me every time.

#10 2011-02-12 15:18:36

Thank you, Dave, I had omitted the other "never-was", the lawyer-turned-librarian from Brooklyn.

So, is the scorecard 2 for the 'Never-was' team, versus 1 for the 'one-day wonder' team?

and full agreement on the option of S. Holmes v. Sweet Brucie. There is a need to carry that forward philosophy into April. Anybody is to be preferred to the Brenduh-Jane-Begley-Schneider crowd. It can only happen if you:

VOTE

VOTE FOR CHANGE

APRIL 5, 2011.

#11 2011-02-13 09:59:17

I'm surprised I'm the first to ask this question: Could Curly be in the mix?.would the TA have been talking to him about the position when the two of them met in his office last week?..as outrageous as the thought of this is, in this Town you never know!

#12 2011-02-13 18:55:40

Actually, I had a long conversation with someone about that very dismal possibility on Saturday, but didn't post on it because it seemed so remote.

Your reporting of a meeting is most disheartening; I wish that I had known about it prior to my conversation.

there is only one thing to say: YIKES !!!!

Remember that cara Wislow brought up the requirement under the Town Charter that the Bd. of Assessors be part of an appointment to the Director position. There are several people on the BoA who have long memories of the "Donahue era"; hopefully, they would do the right thing and thwart any such attempt to install his curliness in that position.

but you are so correct: in this Town you never know!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com