#1 2010-10-13 18:15:45

Will any stores be left??? Friendlys just closed shop today.

#2 2010-10-13 19:46:31

well thats what we get  when we elect people like jane and brenda.

#3 2010-10-14 07:53:57

Regardless of anyone's opinion of our current officials, please do not let yourself think that who we elect to serve as Selectmen will have a direct impact to large scale retail development that is owned and operated by a private corporation.  ihateliz--your argument on this issue is a non-starter.  If it were only so simple to vote at a local election, half of America would be rid of defunct shopping centers that dot the landscape.

#4 2010-10-14 08:01:06

I'm not so sure about that.  The previous board of dictators allowed the town to go several years without a town planner, only to end up sharing one with Rochester.  The previous board of dictators forced out a CEDA director, and two of the remaining dictators forced out the replacement CEDA director.  Now we have no CEDA director and who knows how long it will take to have another one.

The previous board of dictators kept this town from having a permanent TA for nearly 4 years.  One need only look to the DOR report to see the disastrous effects on the town that had.

The previous board of dictators attempted to increase property taxes for commercial properties.  I'm sure the fear they may try that again has caused many a business to re-think the decision to locate here.

The previous board of dictators has created a very hostile anti-business environment.  Wareham's economy won't be pulled out of the toilet until Janey and Brenda are thrown out of office.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-10-14 08:03:45)

#5 2010-10-14 08:32:35

Ham--no doubt, we would be in better shape had previous boards not dessimated planning, community development, and administration; IMO, our leadership team has been dysfunctional for years because of all the turmoil and turnover--as it would be in any organization, public or private.  My point relative to large scale retail development is that it is driven by the private sector.  Yes, public sector can play a role, but it barely makes the Supporting Actor category.  The decision maker for Cranberry Plaza, is not our Town Administrator, nor is it any member of the Board of Selectmen.  It is an individual or a board of a corporation that holds property like this all over the country.  Is it reasonable to think that this individual or board is going to base their decision on how to manage their property based on who is serving a 3 year term?  Personally, I do not think so.

#6 2010-10-14 09:38:56

Anthoula....you have a very apt name. Your posting are informative, educational and well written. Thank you.

#7 2010-10-14 19:36:31

I just spoke to one of their employees - they showed up for work and found the restaurant closed.  No one even told her!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com