#1 2010-10-05 07:29:39

I just read where Jane and Brenda made a stink over the use of some of the CPC funds in proposed articles on the town warrant. Steve piped in too on the Webster Hall project.

I could only remember as I was reading the article that we used one and one-half million dollars of CPC funds to pay for the LEGAL SETTLEMENT on Swift's Beach and both Jane and Brenda supported that vote.

Jane stood up at town meeting and said that the DOR said doing so was not legal. Remember the speech?? Even if we got caught the DOR had no way to punish us we were told. It was a controversial vote since many people in the audience did not feel comfortable voting for something that Jane told us was illegal. (Refer to PSpan archives to see the words actually coming out of her mouth!!! Don't just take my word for it.)

So now the BoS are bitching about renovating historical buildings and maintaining the roof on a school building that has a leak problem. I seem to remember voting CPC funds to repair the roof on town hall. What am I missing here??

#2 2010-10-05 15:17:18

It seems Mark Gifford went looking for money from the Onset Pier Parking Meter Fund, for line painting money, as usual.  He was told there was only $6,000+ in the account.  Did the town change bank accounts with the change in personnel from paid to volunteer status?  I was also told that all senior volunteers had to complete the 100 hours to get the $750 off of their taxes.  Anyone know the truth about this?  Supposedly if you only worked 30 hrs @ $7.50 per hr. they will not reduce your taxes by $225.00.  You lose out.  Doesn't sound right, doesn't sound fair if it is true.

#3 2010-10-05 15:56:37

Maybe the town has become bored with the lack of law suits.  I wonder what is in writing?  It seems that many of the elderly might start off with good intentions, but might not be able to complete the number of hours due to health problems or many other problems.  I don't think Wareham wants to be in a position of taking advantage of its most vunerable citizens.

#4 2010-10-05 16:49:55

Beach Plum & Mixie,

There is no requirement known to me that a senior complete a full 100 hours to earn the property tax abatement thru the Senior Work-off program. I have included a link to the Informational Guideline (IGR) issued by the DOR in regards to this program. You will NOT find the 100 hours as a minimum in this IGR; in fact, the verbiage addresses completion of fewer hours, although not directly. Please read it; it is blessedly brief ( odd for DOR, to be sure).

I have been and continue to be involved in this program in other towns & on a State-wide committee. My experience has ALWAYS been that the Senior earns the hours worked, up to 100 hours.

There is one possible exception: the Town sets the guidelines for the program, within the limits described in the IGR. Is it possible that Wareham has put such a requirement in place? this would be extremely inconsistent with the spirit of the program.

http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dls/publ/ … 02_210.pdf

Last edited by notalawyer (2010-10-05 16:53:02)

#5 2010-10-05 17:25:52

So...Nota...Do I read this correctly? I read it as saying that the seniors must work up to $750.00, or in some cases $500.00, based on minimum wage.

So, if minimum wage is ( rounded off) $7.50 per hour, then they must work 100 hours to receive $750.00, or a little over 66 hours to receive the $500.00. However, it also sets other minimum wage standards. It is a little confusing and, like so many edicts, convoluted and vague.

Am I close to being correct?

#6 2010-10-05 19:11:24

DanO, sorry if I posted this poorly so as to confuse rather than clarify.

1. The town has a choice between the Federal minimum wage and the State's minimum wage. That's where the $7.50 per hour (State) wage rate comes from. (The law has been updated to reflect the current minimum wage.)

2. It is NOT necessary for seniors to work the maximum allowed hours, i. e. 100 hours, to receive an abatement. Someone who works 50 hours, therefore, will receive one-half (50 %) of the MAXIMUM allowed abatement, or $375. (50 hours X $7.50/hour = $375). That is, according to State guidelines.

3.  the guidelines do have some flexibility, and various towns do things slightly differently. Take income/asset limitations. Some communities, via the BoS, implement such limitations; others do not.

4. The town can limit participation in the program by setting a maximum on the amount of abatement to be allowed.

5. Frequently, there are more seniors seeking entre to the program than the Town can provide. Unless, of course, town departments cooperate withthe program.

6. Examples.
a. The town of sudbury needed to have photographs taken of  houses in town for the Assessors. A retired professional photographer completed the job under this program.

b. I worked with a situation involving mapping. A retired banker, mortgage background, was designated thru this program to assist in addressing the issues, over several years.

This is a very solid program, which can assist many seniors, if managed correctly. Hope this is a bit clearer.

#7 2010-10-05 21:02:15

Thank you, Nota...I knew I could count on you...

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com