#1 2010-10-01 09:28:46

This is really an embarrassing one folks.  Do we really need a rule to tell us we need to hire a new town administrator in a timely fashion?? Only in Wareham. Most good leaders would fill important positions immediately (think TA, Library Director, CEDA and Planning directors, Town accountant etc.). 

And why make it as long as 12 months??? Look what happened when our former BoS chose to wait more than a year to hire a new TA. Of course, we all know that by leaving Sanguinet in, they got to do all the day to day they wanted (remember he testified at a public hearing that he did whatever the selectmen told him to do!!!).  If anything it should say within three months. In this economy with people desperate to work, any posting should bring in enough applications to make a choice within a couple month time frame.

So here it is, another reason to wince:

ARTICLE 50 - CHARTER CHANGE TO REQUIRE ACTION BY BOARD OF SELECTMEN IN FILLING TOWN ADMINISTRATOR POSITION

To see if the Town will vote to require the action regarding appointments by the Town Administrator.

In Section 4-1 Appointment, Qualifications, Term of Office append the following words:
The Board of Selectmen shall fill a vacant Town Administrator position within 12 months.
Or to do or act in any manner relative thereto.

Inserted by the Board of Selectmen at the request of the Charter Review Committee

#2 2010-10-01 10:04:13

Section  7 - 8     Notice of vacancies

Whenever a vacancy occurs, or is about to occur, in any town office, including
membership on any multiple member body, or town employment, except for  positions covered under the state civil service law or otherwise provided for under a collective bargaining agreement, the appointing authority shall, forthwith, cause public notice of such vacancy, or impending vacancy, to be posted on the town bulletin board and shall give such further public notice as may be provided by by-law. Any person who desires to be considered for appointment to the said office or employment  may, within ten days following the date notice was posted, file with the appointing authority, a statement setting forth in clear and specific terms his qualifications for the office or the employment.  No permanent appointment to fill a vacancy in a town office or in town employment shall be effective until at least fourteen days have elapsed following such a posting, and until all persons who have filed statements shall have
been considered.

Note:   Section 7-8  was amended by town meeting vote at the Fall annual
town meeting held on October15, 2001 under Article 19 authorizing the posting of positions.   Approved by the Attorney General’s Office  on November 27, 2001.  Voted and approved at the Annual Town Election on April 2, 2002.

As taken straight from OUR Home Rule Charter...AGAIN the CRC has proven an inability to read and comprehend.  Does anyone know what "forthwith" means ?  As taken from my Webster's 21st Century :  adj, without delay.

There is nothing wrong with this section in the Charter.  It's AGAIN about accountability !

Now as I read MWF's "primary goals", Holding public officials accountable is on the list.  Where have they been for the past two three years ?  Collectively their "founding members" have endorsed the lack of accountability.
Talk about hypocrisy.

Last edited by bbrady (2010-10-01 10:04:37)

#3 2010-10-01 13:48:31

So I just want to make sure I have this correct:  Our CRC decided to come up with a warrant to say that the town will post the TA position (if vacant) within 12 months.   But we ALREADY have a warrant that states essentially the same thing?    Not only that but it already states, if we know that the current TA WILL be leaving than we can post the position prior to his departure?  Am I correct in my interpretation of all of this?  If this is correct than I would implore the CRC to resign immediately and stop wasting our time!

#4 2010-10-01 14:34:44

You are correct Bosoxx!! In fact, anyone who can read at a 10th grade level should be able to comprehend the above section of the current Home Rule Charter which currently governs our town.

I would have said 8th grade level but the "hard" vocabulary words-- forthwith, collective, impending, vacancy and qualifications--probably kick it up to the 10th grade.

Another tricky word for the CRC----REVIEW. See, their task was to REVIEW the charter and submit a report at the April town meeting. Failing to do what they were supposed to do, they are making an end run at the Fall town meeting (sorry for the football metaphor Bosoxx, I couldn't think of an appropriate baseball one.)

#5 2010-10-01 15:47:17

Nora -
Perhaps the baseball metaphor is:  STEALING a base while the pitcher (read PUBLIC) is looking elsewhere!!

#6 2010-10-01 16:10:13

Bosoxx wrote:

So I just want to make sure I have this correct:  Our CRC decided to come up with a warrant to say that the town will post the TA position (if vacant) within 12 months.   But we ALREADY have a warrant that states essentially the same thing?    Not only that but it already states, if we know that the current TA WILL be leaving than we can post the position prior to his departure?  Am I correct in my interpretation of all of this?  If this is correct than I would implore the CRC to resign immediately and stop wasting our time!

There is one minor word that makes ALL the difference and that is SHALL.  It's a mandate not an option.  The appointing authority in the case of the TA position is the BOS.  Sooo...for the entire duration of JS's "interim"
service (16-18 months), the former BOS members failed miserably to uphold their responsibility to post notice of the vacancy.  We know now that it was likely deliberate because they were then able to instruct JS to do their dirty work, ie; fire Bob Bliss and Don Bliss and don't re hire a planner, library director, police chief and so on.

Talk about accountability.

#7 2010-10-01 16:20:17

falcon wrote:

Nora -
Perhaps the baseball metaphor is:  STEALING a base while the pitcher (read PUBLIC) is looking elsewhere!!

falcon, Nora,
I'm going to suggest Extra Innings although there was no "tie" at the end of regulation (TM).  It was actually a resounding blow out BUT again our leaders wrongly assumed that they could over rule the HOME RULE CHARTER and give them approval for extended play.  I say it's time for a walk off GRAND SLAM and be done with this game!

#8 2010-10-01 19:00:15

I defer to the baseball metaphorists!!  A good chuckle to end the day. Thanks!!!

I'm going to give it a go....perhaps our "umpires" missed the play???  What should have been a shut out.....

I think that for this town meeting I'll take a monster seat!! I hear you can see every play from there.

#9 2010-10-01 20:00:03

WOW...a real Hall 'o' Famer (: )

#10 2010-10-02 09:33:05

For what reason would you need to wait 12 months to post a vacant TA position?  Why wouldn't you post it as soon as the ad can be put into the paper?

#11 2010-10-02 09:34:32

This is one of those things that most people with common sense understand but the Hypocrite Elite needs it spelled out for them. 

"Duhhhhh....when you don't have any TA you should hire one right away....huh, what that's too complicated I need a bylaw to spell it out for me."

#12 2010-10-02 09:39:52

See, some may think this is a proactive article - we did go through 4 years of having no TA under the rule of the former Hypocrite Elite dictatorship, so at least this gets the job posted in a year.

BUT - couldn't some future selectboard look at this bylaw and say "Hey, we can WAIT A WHOLE YEAR BEFORE WE POST THE JOB!  WOO HOO!  LET'S PUT A LACKEY IN AND RUN THE SHOW FOR A YEAR!"

Just use common sense - TA is a job that has to be filled so post the job as soon as the newspaper can print the ad.

#13 2010-10-02 10:38:50

The monster seats may be nice but please remember some people will not vote if they don't see other hands up. Sitting in the back you can't be seen.

#14 2010-10-02 16:42:20

It appears that maybe the CRC were not wearing their hats and/or sunglasses and had the sun in their eyes...I feel like I just got slapped in the face.  This is just irresponsible on so many levels.  If this one warrant does not show you how (what's another word for stupid?) then I don't know what will.  These people are treating us, the public, as little children who don't know better.  A grand slam would be these people resigning...maybe that would actually be more of like winning a world series!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com