#1 2010-09-11 07:30:19

Do the Right Thing Mr. Slager: Give the 123 names to the Inspector General

On November 4, 2009, in an article called “The Final Piece to Wareham’s Puzzle,” the citizens of Wareham learned from Robert Slager, owner and writer of The Wareham Observer, of the so-called Wareham Free Library three million dollar embezzlement and money laundering scheme. In January, 2010, he reported that the “cavalry” in the form of investigators from the Inspector General’s office had come to town to begin an investigation. It is now September and the investigation is still ongoing.

The library parties have done their civic duties by cooperating fully with this investigation. All financial records have been turned over to the investigators. Furthermore, the library parties have provided the investigators with information on who owned the copy machines in the library and the method by which library books are purchased with tax dollars. 

The last piece of the puzzle then, would be the list of the123 names of the people who allegedly wrote checks to the library, received most of the money back, and then declared the full donations on their tax forms. To truly “prove” that this scheme took place, the investigators need to have that list of names for further investigation.

In the same November article, Slager proved that he had a list of all 123 names when he provided specific, detailed information about the list. He wrote: “I know the names of all 123 people who were involved in this scheme. I have been advised not to release those names in print, as well as more specific details of the operation, until an investigation by law enforcement officials has been completed..... I fully understand the danger I now face for having written this. There will be some very scared and angry people in Wareham. But I want to assure them that I am not the only person in possession of the list of names. If something unfortunate should happen to me the names will be released by a third party on our web site and to every single e-mail address on our database. That individual resides in Florda [sic].” He went on to say, “The list of people involved included current and former town employees, current and former members of town boards, members of the media, Wareham police officers, school officials and employees and prominent members of the community.”

On December 17, 2009 in an article titled “Library Scheme Began Years Earlier Than Reported,” Slager claims: “Last month the Observer reported that an accounting ledger found at the library by a former member of the library board of trustees listed the names of 123 people who allegedly received kick-backs from donations they made to the library from 1995-2005. Most of the money returned to these donors allegedly came from revenue generated from public and private sales of books from the shelves of the Wareham Free Library. Revenue was also reportedly taken each month from the library copy machines instead of being turned over to the town.” He added, “Eleven of the individuals listed on the library ledger shown to the Observer last year have donated to the Plymouth County Republican Committee.”

In a January 18, 2010 piece in the Observer called “The Truth is a Matter of Time Now,” Slager states: “Yes, I have spoken to law enforcement officials as well. Despite the ridiculous claims of the haters in Wareham that I wouldn’t take that step, I felt my obligation as a citizen of the Commonwealth superseded my autonomy as a journalist. It wasn’t an easy decision. In fact it was the most difficult one I have faced in my career. But when it became apparent to me that the Plymouth County District Attorney’s office was more interested in covering up this scandal than investigating it, I did what I believed was the moral thing to do. In the end nothing is more important than the truth.”

He continued, “I did not, however, reveal the names of any of my sources. I will never break my vow to protect these brave people. All I ask in return is for these people to step forward now and do the right thing. The bad guys want to stretch the clock out as long as possible. If you think things are ugly now just wait to see what will happen over the next few months if the investigation moves more slowly than it should. There are a thousand reasons not to get more deeply involved. There is only one reason to step forward. That reason is the truth. It’s what separates the good guys from the bad ones. It’s what will finally set you, and this wonderful community, free.”

I am not asking Robert Slager to reveal his sources. But I am challenging him to do what he claims is the right and “brave” thing to do which is to “step forward.” As a law-abiding “citizen of the Commonwealth,” he must give this list of the names of the 123 people to the lead investigator on the case, Mr. James Lavin of the Inspector General’s office immediately. This final piece of the puzzle will put these allegations to rest once and for all.

#2 2010-09-11 07:47:33

I ALSO CHALENGE THIS LIAR TO REVEAL THE NAMES ,HE WONT BECAUSE HE FABRICATED THE STORY AND HE IS AFRAID IF HE MADE UP SOME NAMES HE WOULD BE SUED , THIS LIAR SKIRTS THE LAW ALL THE TIME , SLAGER NAME THE NAMES NOW OR FOR EVER BE BRANDED A LIAR.

#3 2010-09-11 08:12:51

We all know why he hasn't revealed 123 names - they don't exist.  There are no names.  He made it all up.  He's a liar and a fraud.  He invented a 123 person conspiracy, but the only person he accused by name is a person deceased and unable to fight back (just the kind of target a pathetic sniveling gutless coward likes).  That tells you all you need to know.

Forget even the 123 - he will not accuse even 1 person who is alive and able to hire a lawyer.  He's a liar and to use a Sweet Brucey phrase, "a gutless coward."

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-09-11 08:25:50)

#4 2010-09-11 08:23:35

The chance of him releasing these names are "slim" and "none", and "slim" just left Town!..As despicable a person as he is, his treatment of MJP and the library trustees are.. what I most want to see him buried for!..doing the right thing is only lip service from Slager..

#5 2010-09-11 08:40:05

Good article, Nora.  If a person wanted to prove himself to not be a liar, wouldn't the first thing he do be to rush to the IG and turn over a list of 123 names...oh right, not when it's all a lie and making up a list of names would get you sued 123 times.  I guess the safest thing for a gutless coward to do is to pick on a dead woman.

#6 2010-09-11 08:58:14

If he does not provide the 123 names, he may be sitting in a jail cell for a long time in contempt of the Court....
He can't hide behind his "journalist" persona in front of a competent Court. The Court will order him to turn over the info, he will refuse because of his journalistic right to protect his sources, and will be promptly told he is NOT a journalist, he is a tabloid editor, not a reporter... he owns a rag that is no better or worse that the Enquirer...he can't back up his words or actions...he is a fraud and a malcontent and a cancer in Wareham's society...let him rot in a cell for awhile with his "roomie" Bubba,,,he can tell him "Do you know who I used to be" as he is pulled from pillar to post by those great gentlemen that reside in his new home...goos luck, numb-nuts!

Last edited by danoconnell (2010-09-11 08:58:57)

#7 2010-09-11 09:35:10

Bobo will never turn over the names because he is a COWARD. Ham is right the only person he feels safe attacking in this made up conspiracy is a dead woman. If he ever published the names of someone who was alive not only would they sue his ass they might actually confront him in person a COWARD’S worst fear.

Dan idiot Bobo doesn’t have a journalistic right to protect his sources. Unfortunately he lives in Ma one of the few states that doesn’t have a “Shield Law” which protects journalist. Of course Bobo wouldn’t know this because he is an IDIOT. This means they can throw his ass in jail right away.

This may give his wife time to find a man who actually has a job and puts his family’s financial stability and well being first. Someone who doesn’t count on his wife or mother to support his family ya know a “MAN”. Even immigrants or what we use to call people from the “old country” knew this basic concept. They came to this country and took ANY job, sometimes two jobs at a time. They were raised to believe as “MEN” that the number one priority was to provide for their families. If someone had to depend on their wife or mother or others to support their families they were thought of as “BUMS” and “LOOSERS”

#8 2010-09-11 10:59:09

IF the day ever comes when this IG investigation is over, someone should investigate the IG’s Office.  SLOW does not even begin to describe their progress.

According to BOBO, there are multiple investigations of Municipal Maintenance -- some dating back two years.  The BIG investigation of “stolen dirt” in the Wareham Fire District took six months.   The library caper is now at 10 months and counting?  I’m an old lady, if they receive 123 names to investigate, we will not see the results in my lifetime

To add to the slowness, there is a state election coming up.  The governor faces a tough re-election. Changes at the top of agencies often result in chaos in day-to-day operations.  God forbid, this endless investigation drags on even longer because of politics.

#9 2010-09-11 13:21:49

Here is some interesting reading for the troll and whomever:

Experts say court ruling on online comments sets precedent
Case addresses free-speech rights of people who post comments on website

By DUANE MARSTELLER - dmarsteller@bradenton.com
Buzz up!

Manatee— A judge has quashed an attempt to force the Bradenton Herald to reveal the identities of several people who posted comments on the newspaper’s website.
Media lawyers say the Aug. 30 decision is ground-breaking, calling it one of the first in Florida to address the free-speech rights of anonymous online posters.
In his ruling, Manatee County Circuit Judge Ed Nicholas quashed a subpoena that attorneys for the Albertsons grocery store chain issued to the Herald earlier this year.
Judge's order to quash
Hearing transcript

The subpoena sought the names, addresses and other identifying information of eight people who commented on stories posted Feb. 4 and 5, 2009, on the newspaper’s website, www.Bradenton.com. The article was about a lawsuit that accused Albertsons of selling alcohol to a minor who subsequently drove off the Anna Maria Island bridge, killing him and leaving a passenger severely brain-damaged.
Albertsons’ attorneys argued that the online posters — who went by screen names such as “Firefly” and “Bluebird” — were potential witnesses who could have additional information material to the legal case. The attorneys, who did not return messages left with their firm this week, also sought copies of comments that had been deleted from the website.

The Herald fought the subpoena, saying in court papers that it was a violation of the First Amendment and “an effort to use the news media as an investigative tool for litigants.”

Nicholas agreed, saying Albertsons failed to show a compelling need for the posters’ identities and that their information was relevant and not available elsewhere.
“Defendants, therefore, have not made a sufficient showing to overcome the protections that apply to the requested information,” he wrote in his three-page decision.

Jim Lake, an attorney representing the Herald, said Nicholas’ ruling “is one of the early cases in Florida that addresses this question of anonymous online speech.” But he cautioned the ruling is limited and “doesn’t guarantee secrecy” to anonymous online posters.

Clay Calvert, a University of Florida mass communications professor and director of its Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project, agreed.

But in the absence of state or federal Supreme Court rulings, he noted, other judges will look to Nicholas’ decision and similar ones across the country as they wrestle with how to apply centuries-old Constitutional protections to modern-day online speech.

“As journalism migrates to the Internet and as newspapers allow more paExperts say court ruling on online comments sets precedent
Case addresses free-speech rights of people who post comments on website

By DUANE MARSTELLER - dmarsteller@bradenton.com

#10 2010-09-11 13:35:46

Maybe members of the tin foil hat club could ask Bobo why he won’t publish the list or give it to the IG. Mike Flaherty seems to be the only one who questions Bobo maybe he could ask why Bobo hasn’t published the list. After all Bobo says he wants to expose all the corruption in town. If you believe what Bobo says the people on the list are guilty of “FRAUD” their names should be published so everyone knows who they are. Their names should be given to the IG and the IRS. I wonder if Mike has the balls to question Bobo on why he won’t publish the list or at least turn it over to the IG. Does Bobo even have the list of names?

#11 2010-09-11 14:05:35

SLAGER SHOW US THE LIST OF THE 123 PEOPLE,OR FOREVER BE BRANDED THE LIAR WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE, AND DO NOT GIVE US THE ANSWER YOU ARE TRYING TO PROTECT A SOURCE , YOUR SO FULL OF SHIT.

#12 2010-09-11 14:54:45

Careful here, DanO. This one might cut both ways.

If the Bagel-bitin', weinermiester, buffet boy were to be REQUIRED reveal the 123 (mythical, in my opinion  -  I still believe the number just happens to coincide with the first three digits in our numerical sequence), then what is to stop him from getting info on me and other bloggers?

Without backchecking, I recall a few months ago reading an article in the Boston Globe where Howie Carr of the Herald was pursuing a blogger who used the name "Howie Carr" to attack Howie Carr. Quite nastily, as I recall. Howie Carr (the real one) was using the courts to try to ferret out the blogger. I will try to update.

This is cutting-edge stuff, with no real resolution that I have seen to date.

Last edited by notalawyer (2010-09-11 15:04:35)

#13 2010-09-11 15:16:12

Nora,

Keep it up, please.

You are the counterweight to the unreal fantasies that emanate from the few remaining functioning brain cells between the ears of BoBo the (nearly) brainless. And those cells are diminishing rapidly.

It is necessary, in my opinion, to complete the eradication of this pernicious influence. You are in a unique position to hasten that much longed-for conclusion. We need you. the town of Wareham needs you. Put the pedal to the metal.

and...thank you.

#14 2010-09-11 15:29:37

Dido

#15 2010-09-11 16:11:57

Nora Bicki for Selectman!!

Nota...I agree with you, Stewie...it is a double edged sword.

I believe, from what I have researched, that anonymity on the web is protected up to a certain point, as in society, i.e., yelling "fire" in a theater, etc.

Using someone's REAL name and not being that person is an interesting proposition, but, I would suspect that eventually the Court will decide that it is unlawful...

Anonymity is protected thus far for blogs like this site, and I suspect that will not change.

This, contrary to what the troll says, is not a "hate" site. If it was, the Government of the U.S. would be looking at us very closely.

Not happening.

IMO, I don't give a crap about who pays for Stanley's retirement...what matters is if he is appointed arbitrarily by a BOS that should know better. Give the men and women of the WPD, who have dedicated their lives to the Town of Wareham, the choice to seek, and have the opportunity, to be the Chief of Police.

It is an insult to hire a "carpet-bagger" without a proper search for a permanent Chief.

If they (the BOS) do not act in a manner that is to be expected of THIS new BOS, then they should go. Quickly, forcefully, and with extreme prejudice.

The removal of the entire BOS in the early 1980's has already established a precedent. One I am not happy about, but in the case above, one that justifies such a radical action.

#16 2010-09-11 16:24:59

hear! hear!

#17 2010-09-12 10:59:46

nobody is asking slager to give up his sources. if he already gave the list of embezzlers to the investigators why not say so? the library people already said they gave their financial stuff to them. what's the big secret? don't you think his fans would want to know if their big hero did good and gave up the evidence? if he didn't give the list that is evidence of a crime then why not?

just answer the question bobo. did you give the list to the ig or not?

#18 2010-09-12 11:05:48

SLAGER GIVE US THE 123 NAMES AND COPIES OF THE CANCELLED CHECKS, YOU BIG FAT LIAR.

#19 2010-09-12 13:38:57

i'm beginning to think he never gave that list to the ig. why not just say so? what a hypocrite to say he is all for doing the right thing and truth is so important. he's the only one who accused mary jane and the friends. put up or shut up.

#20 2010-09-12 18:02:57

I believe, from reliable sources, that he NEVER gave the list to the IG.
Prove us wrong, asswipe.

#21 2010-09-12 20:26:11

There is no list..Maybe this is how he came up with the "magic number".

TBW
P-SPAN

#22 2010-09-12 20:34:56

P-Span:
I always thought it was because he couldn't count higher then 3.

#23 2010-09-12 21:11:47

I always thought this was how he came up with the number "123":

#24 2010-09-12 21:31:35

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it. Amen."

"One, Two, Five".."Three, Sir".."Three!!"

TBW
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-09-12 21:32:04)

#25 2010-09-12 22:05:15

LMAO!!
P-Span...still the man!

#28 2010-09-13 10:29:41

"By: robertslager on 9/11/10
I'm going to post the following comments on this thread as well as blog wild. This thread seems to be the most active right now.

After spending a long day in Wareham, I returned to several e-mails alerted me to comments Nora Bicki posted on the hate site today.

I will say this in no uncertain terms: There is no way that Nora Bicki has the first clue about any aspect of any conversation I've had with the Inspector General's office. Those conversations are completely confidential. I have not told anyone about the content of any conversation I've had with the IG's office. The IG's office would never discuss any aspect of any active investigation outside its office because that could taint the investigation itself. The fact that Nora Bicki even claims to know anything discussed between the IG and me is completely absurd. The fact that she doesn't cite the source of her claims should be very telling.

Nora Bicki has no knowledge whatsoever about any conversation I've had with the IG's office. This is nothing more than a shameless fishing expedition and the typical smear tactic I should come to expect by now from certain people in the community.

As I have said many times, I will not interfere in any way with the IG's investigation, and that includes confirming or denying any claim about the case made by anyone. Bicki and her friends can keep trying to fish, but they will never get a bite from me.

By: robertslager on 9/11/10
I'm note sure I can make this any more clear, but I'll try. I will never discuss private conversations in public, no matter whom that conversation involves. As I previously noted in an e-mail to you, the contents of any conversation I may have had with Mr. Maxim is none of your business.

And I will not discuss any aspect of the IG investigation with anyone. There is an active investigation. That is all I will say about it until the investigation is complete."

The above is self explanatory. Did I ever say anything about PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS??? Talk about twisting my words!!!! 

Reread my original post above. I just quoted a few gems that the TTW wrote and then challenged him to give the list to the IG. If he already gave the list--good for him for being an upstanding and law abiding citizen and practicing what he preaches.

Simply stating that you turned a list over is not discussing "private conversations"!!!  Wonder why he won't reveal if he gave the list or not. What's the big secret??

#29 2010-09-13 10:33:29

Oh yeah, and did I mention that before I posted the original comment on this thread that I sent a copy of it to the investigators at the IG's office?  That's right. The investigators know that I have publicly challenged the TTW to turn over the list of 123 names of the alleged embezzlers of Wareham.

So, I'm thinking, if the TTW hasn't turned over the list before this, he certainly will now!!!!  Do the right thing. Turn over the names to the IG's office.

#30 2010-09-13 19:53:04

Who's the person in Florida he gave the other copy of "the ledger" to, Micky Mouse?

#31 2010-09-14 10:15:18

A few people have asked me for an update on the investigation:

The investigators have completed their forensic audits of the financial records from 1991 to the present for the Friends and the former Trustees. They have also completed an audit of the Library Foundation records even though they were not in existence until 2007 or two years after the alleged embezzlement.  All the library parties then, have done their civic duties. Records have been returned to the parties above.

On July 21, at the request of the investigator, I sent him a list of every Library Trustee from 1995 to 2005.  I did not mention this to those trustees, but since that time, I have had several former trustees contact me to tell me they had been personally interviewed by the IG investigators.

That got me to thinking. If the investigators had the 123 list (what else could have been the hardest thing the TTW has ever done?? "I felt my obligation as a citizen of the Commonwealth superseded my autonomy as a journalist. It wasn’t an easy decision. In fact it was the most difficult one I have faced in my career.") then surely, they would be interviewing the people on that list which would be the "conclusive" evidence they would need to arrest and punish the "bad guys."

No one has mentioned to me that they were interviewed as part of the 123 list. No one was asked if they wrote checks, got most of the money back, and then filed the complete amount of the donation on their tax forms. No one has mentioned to me that the IG has asked for copies of their tax forms from 1995-2005.  SURELY I KNOW AT LEAST ONE OF THE 123!!!! (I was a library trustee for 12 years and have been a Friend for 18. I was also a friend of MJP's during that time. How could I NOT know at least one person on the list??)

I know MJP's other good friends during that time. I know "current and former town employees, current and former members of town boards, members of the media, Wareham police officers, school officials and employees and prominent members of the community" and I definitely know at least eleven Republicans from that time period!!! 

My point is, why hasn't at least one person mentioned to me he/she was interviewed by the IG??? I can only conclude that the IG does NOT have the 123 list.

Logic would say maybe those people don't want me to know they were interviewed. Sure, that's a possibility. But keep a secret in this town!!!! Please!!!  Oh right. 123 people kept that secret for15 years now!!!! Preposterous!!! Or as someone said to me---it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, if anyone hears of someone who is/was interviewed as part of the 123 list, please let me know. I don't need to know the person's name, or what the conversation was. I would just like to know for sure if the 123 list was given to the IG.

The "bad guys" (TTW's words) want the truth. Let's get this investigation over with. The key to the case, in my opinion, is the 123 list.

#32 2010-09-14 12:28:07

I seem to recall that not long before Halifax Man came up with what he still refers to as The Library Scandal, that there was an article in the NY Times about a rabbi in NY or NJ  who was nabbed, along with 123 temple members, for a donor kick back scheme .  Bobo must have read it while he was smoking those funny cigarettes of his and substituted Mary Jane for the rabbi but kept the 123 perps.  He was desperately looking for a "real" scandal, but because there wasn't one he stole somebody else's scandal and tried to transplant it at WFL. When people  on this site challenged his goofy arithmetic....not to worry... he robbed another news item involving people  who had been milking their office copy machine !  He's a piece of work !  He's not your everyday liar : What we have is a guy who TRULY believes his fabrications.  He can "build a house of cards"...and move right in ! When the IG slam dunks the "scandal" he will rail that their investigation was sloppy, and he will whine that "the bad guys" made off with  The Brown Ledger.

#33 2010-09-14 12:34:34

I am the guy in Florida with the "list". Mine only has five or six names on it, though...Dick and Sandy Wheeler, Nora and a couple of others...oh wait...that's not THAT list...that's a partial list of friends I have in Wareham... never mind!

#34 2010-09-14 14:28:11

Hey, even I should be on the 123 list--former board member, friend of MJP!!! As many times as I have spoken to the investigators, they have NEVER asked me if I made donations by check to the library via MJP and gotten money back. They have not requested my tax returns for those years to see if I claimed those full donations on my tax returns. And I have, as a law abiding citizen, given them everything they have asked for during this investigation. Surely they know I would cooperate to the fullest.

In January, the two investigators spent three hours at my dining room table where I had tons of "evidence" spread out to give them to disprove the allegations. They left with copies of all the tabloid articles, names and phone numbers of the copy machine company, emails from the MBLC declaring in no uncertain terms that the Friends never filed an application for a grant from Spinney and thereby committing fraud as claimed in one of the articles, contact numbers for the Spinney Inc. people so they could verify that they never gave $150,000 cash to the Friends as claimed in a TT article, the mediation agreement from the library/bos litigation, the donation agreement for Spinney signed by not read by Bruce and Brenda, and on and on.  They wrote down just about every word I said. A few weeks later, he read his typed narrative from the meeting over the phone to ask me to verify the accuracy of the typed conversation.

In the interim, I have given them every comment made by the TTW in relation to the alleged embezzlement, or anything about the library/Friends in general including the fact that for a full month, the tabloid online claimed that the Friends lost $200,000 in the stock market. See, the IG had ALL the Friends records and could easily tell that we had no investments and could therefore, not lose any. I also sent the "correction" where the TTW said it was the former trustees who lost the $200,000 in donations in the stock market. The IG had the exact amounts of the original donations that were invested including the original investment forms (something the tacky tabloid writer could not have known), and the IG could see that while some shares were sold and the income was spent on the library over the years, the former trustees never touched the principle so no donations were EVER lost!!!  So many lies to expose ......

I have spoken on the phone to the lead investigator at least 10 times since our January meeting.  Surely, if my name was on the 123 list, he would have asked me about my "role" in the embezzlement scheme. Hmmmm.

I'm going to say that in my opinion, the instigator of this bogus library caper has not given the IG the 123 list because there never was a list. Now I'm wondering what was so darn hard that that it was the most "difficult" thing he has done in his whole career.

#35 2010-09-14 23:55:45

Do any of you "young-uns" remember Rodney Dangerfield...the comedian who showed up many times on The Johnny Carson Show ?  I didn't relate to him then , but I do now.

I have confessed, on this site, to all of Bobo's alleged crimes, but no one from the IG office has paid me any heed. Disgraceful !  I  told you how we got the coins from the copy machine  out of here in a plane loaned  to us by Bernie Madoff, and i was "up front" about how we got "The Brown Ledger" though New Zealand Customs so that its  shredded remains could be scattered on the slopes of Mt. Cook. But do the authorities that Bobo has hoodwinked into doing an investigation pay any attention to me? ! ?

It's classic Rodney Dangerfield: Those IG guys, "Ain't got any respect..ain't got any respect at all."

#36 2010-09-15 09:33:47

who pays for the investigation? just because it is state level doesn't mean that we aren't paying. what a waste of my taxes.

can bobo be charged with filing false statements? Lying to a state authority? wasting our money?

my wife and I have lived here a long time and know many of the people on boards or police and school committee people during those years. we are republicans who donated to the party this year. so maybe we are on the list too. i've asked around and no one that I think might be on the list of 123 criminals have been contacted. that's very strange. these investigators are supposed to be the best. they must know how to investigate a simple list of names.

bobo is full of it. I don't believe a word he says. I think he is doing this to get back at the library like his buddies jane, brenda and bruce probably told him to.

#37 2010-09-15 09:35:45

I think the only 123 names that the troll has are bagel shops within 200 miles of Wareham.

#38 2010-09-15 10:03:21

This was sent to me. If the TTW has no problem leaking the list of names of the Baum petitioners, why not LEAK the 123 list??  Or better yet, why not give it to the investigators from the IG's office???

By: fogcutter on 9/13/10
============================
Robert Slager wrote:

I cannot speak to what Wareham Week does or does not have in its possession. The story said they were provided the list of targets by one of the petitioners.
============================

I'm sorry Rob, but I fail to see in the story where WW said they were "provided the list of targets". Could you elaborate please.

Are you referring to this excerpt..

===========================
Wareham Week wrote:

A group of citizens has submitted articles for consideration by Town Meeting that seek to censure five town officials for making "false and/or misleading statements" at various Town Meetings and public meetings.
===========================

If so, then WW only mentions a "group of citizens has submitted articles for consideration". No mention of knowing who that group of folks are other than Baume. Since a petition requires at least 10 signatures, it is obviously saffe to say a "group of citizens" submitted an article even if they have no idea who the names of said group are.

Or did I miss something?

That said, I know you are not at liberty to divulge your source, but it is clear by your own admission that "nothing in the article, including the names of the petitioners, has been officially released as public information".

Sooooooo.

The bottom line is that it was leaked to you. It could have been leaked by someone in town government or by one of the petitioners themselves. There is no way at the moment to prove either - which is why a lawsuit by anyone will go no where at this point.

Nonetheless it was you who first published the leaked names. At this point, it is what it is, and as you said you are comfortable with it. I just find it interesting that you had no problem leaking these names that were not available to the taxpaying voters, but you had a problem showing us the full text of the petition that didn't even contain them.

I thank Wareham Week for making the full text of the petition available, and in a weird way I thank you Rob for pointing me in their direction.

#39 2010-09-17 07:53:25

FYI: I've sent the info about this leaked list to the investigator from the IG's office.

The TTW leaked names from a list that was not public and he did not reveal his source.

Therefore, there is no reason for the TTW to NOT release the 123 list to the IG and still be able to protect his source.

Simple, really. Give the list to the IG so they can complete the investigation of the alleged library embezzlement/money laundering/copy machine/used book sale scam.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com