#1 2009-09-04 09:45:47

The Standard Times wrote this about the police department that Bobo and the BOS are doing everything in their power to try and trick you into thinking they are a bunch of racists:

"When violent hate showed its abhorrent face in Wareham on Tuesday, the town's police officers did their community proud. They risked their lives to apprehend an apparent neo-Nazi who threw a loaded shotgun from a vehicle as police gave chase."

The police saw him toss out a shotgun (an obvious sign they were dealing with a violent psychopath) and they pursued him anyway.  All of you pro-BOS wack jobs who bitch and moan about how easy a cop's job is, try to remember that in any traffic stop, they could be pulling over a psycho with a shotgun.

Turns out he had more weapons in his car:

Inside the car, officers found a double-edged knife, shotgun shells, a large hammer, and what they described as a so-called "ethnic cleansing" CD, according to the police report. (Incidentally, that soft-pedaling term should never have seeped into common usage.)

Here's what the officers were dealing with, according to an earlier S-T story:

Verhaegen said in his police report that, as he exited his cruiser, Watkins charged toward him and shouted: "What's the problem? What did I do?" Watkins refused to obey Verhaegen's command to get on the ground, prompting another officer to deploy his Taser. Once on the ground, Watkins refused to put his hands behind his back and was subdued with the Taser a second time, Verhaegen said in his report.

Now, keep in mind that Sweet Brucey tried to smear the police department as if they were abusing the tazers or something.  He even called up the Howie Carr show as "Bruce the Republican from Wareham" to complain about it.

But here's a guy who apparently was so strong, possibly on drugs, to the point where he had to be tazed TWICE.  Let me repeat that - he had to be zapped with electricity TWICE before he was subdued.

TWICE.

If Sweet Brucey had his way, the police would not have had tazers to use on this guy.  How then would they have taken down a guy that can take one tazing and still need another one?

Two newspapers, the Courier and (obviously for appearances' sake), the Rag, called for Sweet Brucey to recuse himself from any police matter decisions, stating his personal biases towards the department ran too deep.  They have not renewed that demand as he continues to run roughshod over the department. 

If Sweet Brucey had his way, and been able to remove tazers from the department...then an officer could have been seriously hurt, possibly killed by a Neo-Nazi.

Luckily, Sweet Brucey didn't get his way.  Why?  Because our town charter currently allows for a strong chief - i.e. let the police work decisions be made by a person who has spent his life in police work.

Rewrite the charter like the selectmen want, put in a lackey chief and put the Selectmen in charge of the police department - and you'll get decisions that will be made based on pure politics. 

Give Sweet Brucey the power to take away the police's tazers - sure, and what happens the next time a violent thug that is nearly tazer resistant comes along?

The S-T praised the department.  I have seen no praise from the Selectmen.  I have seen no praise from Bobo.

Sadly, the only praise they'll get is from the S-T and this web site.  Praise from the BOS and Bobo would just interfere with their agenda of trying to make you all think the police department is racist so they can rewrite the chief law.

The next time they try to make you think the police are racist - remember how they put themselves in harm's way to stop a Neo-Nazi.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-09-04 09:48:32)

#2 2009-09-04 10:35:37

The neo-Nazi was lucky that this wasn't 1969-1973.
We didn't have tasers in those days. We had billy clubs, steel flashlights, mace, some guys carried the "claw", blackjacks,thumb screws, etc.
Sounds bad now, but that was the only options we had then.
If this had happened in 1969, the neo-Nazi would be lying in the street with several bullet holes in him, the Chief and Medical Examiner and Photographer would have been called and on the scene.
It would have casued headlines, the cops would have been critcized by some and supported by others...but...each one of the cops would be alive.
Combat is combat as anyone in uniform will tell you.
The officers acted with a great deal of restraint, in my opinion, and the neo-Nazi should be happy he is still breathing the fresh air that we all deserve and he is wasting.
Please...support your Police Department.

#3 2009-09-04 13:26:16

danoconnell wrote:

The neo-Nazi was lucky that this wasn't 1969-1973.
We didn't have tasers in those days. We had billy clubs, steel flashlights, mace, some guys carried the "claw", blackjacks,thumb screws, etc.
Sounds bad now, but that was the only options we had then.
If this had happened in 1969, the neo-Nazi would be lying in the street with several bullet holes in him, the Chief and Medical Examiner and Photographer would have been called and on the scene.
It would have casued headlines, the cops would have been critcized by some and supported by others...but...each one of the cops would be alive.
Combat is combat as anyone in uniform will tell you.
The officers acted with a great deal of restraint, in my opinion, and the neo-Nazi should be happy he is still breathing the fresh air that we all deserve and he is wasting.
Please...support your Police Department.

You have no idea how much I agree with you.

#4 2009-09-04 14:05:20

Ham & Dan, Great points, couldn't agree more.

Wareham Police, It's comforting to know that you have our backs. We have yours.
At least most of us do. Thanks for a tough job, well done.

PShooter

#5 2009-09-04 14:25:05

You have no idea how much those Police Officers that serve you in Wareham appreciate what you just said, PShooter.
I know that you have their backs. You proven that to me many times.

#6 2009-09-04 14:39:11

Let's not forget that every traffic stop, every domestic disturbance call, even accidents and medical calls can result in someone attacking a police officer. This scumbag made the statewide news because of the shotgun and that he's a neo-Nazi but the police have to deal with violent and potentially violent people all the time.

Think of this: their workplace is populated with people who want to do them and others harm and they aren't always wearing signs that say "danger, handle with caution".

It's not a casual decision to taser someone either.

#7 2009-09-04 15:19:33

I was taught a long time ago, in fact the first night I was on duty as a Police Officer in Wareham, working the "Onset" beat, that the uniform and that, as Dave Smarowski ( a Marine) said, "nice pretty little badge of yours, boot." is nothing but a target.
I was called "boot" by "Sam" because that's what recruits in Parris Island were called in those days.
I was always "boot" to Dave, even after I was elected as a Selectman.
He, and a lot of great Police Officers taught me valuable lessons in Police work and how to keep from getting killed.
I appreciated it then, and still do to this day.
A Police Officer has to make a decision in less than a second many times that will be discussed and argued for years in a court of law.
The Police Officer doesn't have that luxury of long periods of time to dissect what happened and what could or could not have been done.
Decisions are instantaneous, and hopefully right every time.
Death is also instantaneous.
Cops don't get paid to get killed.

#8 2009-09-04 15:23:57

By the way, I am a cop.
Once a cop...always a cop.
I am also Hamatron5000.

#9 2009-09-04 15:29:46

There are too many stories like this Brockton gunman opens fire next to unmarked police cruiser to post them but because it just happened and is the topic of this thread, so take a look.

These troopers had every reason to be wary of the speeding car they were chasing, but what happened when they found it was totally unexpected.

#10 2009-09-04 21:22:49

I agree totally with Dan about the methods used to detain criminals..Mr Moderator and Sweet Brucey can continue complaining about the use of tazers all they want, all these perps have deserved what they've gotten!!..Imagine not following the orders of an officer who pulls you over..you approach the cruiser and are continually warned to get back in your vehicle..you become disorderly, and are then "pepper sprayed"..Your Selectman tells you your first mistake was being Cape Verdean, all I could think was YOU'RE LUCKY YOU WEREN'T SHOT!!..Our Police have their work cut out for them, please support them (and don't believe the Donahues that they are racists!)

#11 2009-09-05 01:45:40

TBL

Thank god adequate back up was available and right behind the first officer. It often is a few minutes away.

#12 2009-09-05 07:25:37

JUST REMEMBER WHEN THE SELECTMAN WANT TO TAKE THE CHIEFS POSITION OUT OF CIVIL SERVICE AND THE BOS TELL THE CHIEF WHAT TO DO. REMEMBER BRUCE WANTED TO TAKE TASERS AWAY FROM THE WAREHAM POLICE.

#13 2010-09-13 11:36:55

Police jobs for me is not easy. There life is also endangered.

leather billys

#14 2010-09-13 19:22:24

Because of this State's Liberal stance our fine officers must be kinder, gentler and by all means POLITICALLY CORRECT. If Gordon Lopes , Jimmy Frost or Sam were out there, by all means there would be one less non tax paying asshole. Great Job WPD

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com