#1 2010-08-28 19:05:12

From the Town of Wareham's OFFICIAL website :

"A HUMAN case of (EEEV) has been Identified in Southeastern Massacusetts
Printer-Friendly Version

Town of Wareham
Board of Health

News Bulletin issued by the Department of Public Health via the Health and Homeland Alert Network (HHAN):

A HUMAN case of Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus (EEEV) has been Identified in Southeastern Massachusetts

If you have any questions please call 617-983-6800.

No cases of EEEV in mosquitos have been identified in Wareham at this time, but please continue to take precautions and apply repellents when in outdoor areas with mosquitoes."

Wareham Board of Health

Last edited by bbrady (2010-08-28 19:06:03)

#2 2010-08-29 08:23:29

Oh my gosh...You mean there isn't a severe outbreak in Wareham?
I read in a local rag that the Town was swarming with EEEV mosquito carriers..misunderstanding?

#3 2010-08-29 09:28:40

TOO BAD THERE ISNT A SEVERE OUTBREAK IN HALIFAX.

#4 2010-08-29 19:28:23

*NEWSFLASH*

Disease carrying, blood sucking parasite found in Wareham...reports indicate that the vile creature made it's way here from Halifax...If you see this hideous insect..Squash IMMEDIATELY!!

Click to Zoom

TBW
P-SPAN

#5 2010-08-29 19:40:29

P-Span...You are the MAN!

#6 2010-08-29 20:47:52

A little tune from a very talented man!

There's a skeeter on my peter, get it off!
There's another on my mother, get it off!
There's a dozen on my cousin, can't you hear the bastards buzzin!
There's a skeeter on my peter, get it off!

#7 2010-08-29 21:35:58

By: robertslager on 8/29/10
What a sick man he is. I don't care if he doesn't like me. Wishing a deadly disease on an entire community just because I happen to live there is proof that this man is mentally ill.

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A COMMUNITY? JUST ONE RESIDENT.

Last edited by IHATESLAGER (2010-08-31 07:47:40)

#9 2010-08-30 07:02:38

put his head on a cockroach and a rat ,that is what he is also.

#10 2010-08-31 10:39:52

What kind of person makes jokes about this? Absolutely sickening. I don't care what you think about Mr. Slager, have some compassion for the poor family. If this were happening to you I'm sure you wouldn't find it so amusing.

#11 2010-08-31 11:42:18

No one is downplaying this situation..we all hope this person recovers..Slager remains a douche..

#12 2010-08-31 12:26:08

Peaches9...if this was happening to me, I'd be laughing my ass off about it...Peaches

#13 2010-08-31 12:29:14

Nice, you're a class act Dan!

#14 2010-08-31 12:46:08

Thanks for dropping by, Peaches. I just finished reading all of your posts. You are a mole, but a nice one. So...I have no problem hearing from you and reading your insights into important issues.

No one is showing any lack of compassion for the family of the poor man that acquired EEE...in fact, if we knew who they were, this site has proven many times that we would extend a hand of friendship and help financially if they needed it.

What we are amused and somewhat repulsed by is the troll desperately trying to prove the man was bitten in WAREHAM, thereby creating a panic among the population. No-one in authority has said that the man was bitten in Wareham, and regardless of Paul Shooter's attempt to create a conspiracy between the State and local health authorities, as well as the Town Administrator, all of the members of the BOS and whomever else holds office in the Town, no one will EVER be able to prove where the man was bitten.

The irony is Peach that you have probably followed every single step of instructions that the troll gave you to save your life from the mosquito that carries EEE...

Take a chance on life, Peach....be like us...be happy...be positive...enjoy the beach and walks at sunset...just wear mosquito repellent!

Truly glad to hear from you again. 

By your writings, you are a different type of mole. You are very kind...I would take exception to anyone who said you were not, and you are reluctant to insult or attack. I believe you are probably a very nice lady that the troll occasionally asks a favor of..and you post his questions...but...as kind as you are...you don't post them quite the way he'd like.

No insults, derogatory statements about anyone directly...

That's why we enjoy your posts...but...unfortunately, you are too nice to be one of us...all of us have a wry side,we like dark, cerebral humor, are totally politically incorrect, focused on a future that you can't envision, and basically we think your friend is a TaTa...

#16 2010-08-31 15:27:25

The incubation period (the amount of time before symptoms appear) is between 5-15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito. This is from the NY state health dept web site.

The Ma health dept web site says 3-10 days.

Another site said 4-15 days...

Another said the age and health of the person infected and influence how soon the symptoms begin to show.

There seems to be some disagreement as to the incubation period for EEE.

#17 2010-08-31 17:30:37

Well, thank you, Marny. You actually INVESTIGATED the issue.
What a concept!

#18 2010-08-31 17:39:24

What if there isn't any incubation period? What if it is immediate?
Oh, my...so many questions...

#19 2010-08-31 18:32:52

I'm told that Bobo has a "source"who was not only there when the alleged-suspect EEE bite happened (It was on Wicket's Island) but has a photo taken as the mosquito was doing what mosquitoes do to visitors from Middleboro.  But the "kicker" is that he is claiming that the photo proves that the mosquito was a local one because under magnification you can see that the little bugger is wearing a "Vote April 6" button.

When asked to reveal the photographic proof, however, he declined, stating  that his source's fear of retribution makes that impossible ." They are a  barbaric mob of  vicious animals who are easy to recognize because they all have the initials TBW tattooed on their foreheads. In the time-honored tradition of journalism I will refuse to reveal my source even if  I am threatened with a firing squad."

#20 2010-08-31 18:40:19

Keep in mind that there were 363 traffic fatalities in Massachusetts in 2008.

#21 2010-08-31 19:20:10

Dan,
     I am not a mole. I am the victims sister so don't act as if you know more about the situation than I do. The doctors have said that based on my brothers age an physical stature that he was bitten 5-7 days before he developed symptons.  He was in Wareham during that time period.

The "irony" if you will is that I am taking every precaution becuase I have watched my family suffer tremendously for nine days praying every day for him to get better.

I find it horrifying that people are downplaying this disease. As I said maybe if it were you or one of your loved ones you might put a different spin on your comments.

For the record, I don't know Mr. Slager. I contacted him regarding the EEE threat. I initiated the contact not him.

#22 2010-08-31 19:21:40

Peaches: Bullshit.

#23 2010-08-31 19:24:48

I wish it was. I would never lie about something like this :(
Whether you believe me or not is of no consequence to me.

#24 2010-08-31 19:28:08

Peaches..I know that I (for one) hope the best for your brother, and your family. The EEE threat is something I take very seriously..as my wife and son could attest..I'm constantly reminding them to take precautions and alerting them to any reports/updates I hear about the situation..Also, I used to live in Middleboro, and though I didn't know the young boy who passed away a few years ago from this..I felt very saddened by that terrible tragedy. Again..I hope the best in your brother's recovery..God bless..

TBW
P-SPAN

#25 2010-08-31 19:31:00

Thank you P-SPAN , it means a great deal to me and my family to hear the well wishes from our community.

#26 2010-08-31 19:37:01

Still think it's BS Dan? You can always contact me directly if you think  I'm lying.

#27 2010-08-31 19:38:20

No thanks Peaches...I'll have P-Span contact you...

#28 2010-08-31 19:39:09

Not sure of the relevance, Mr. O.  Are those EEE related traffic fatalities ?

#29 2010-08-31 19:40:29

Not sure, Mr. B...

#30 2010-08-31 19:41:00

I didn't think so Dan.

#31 2010-08-31 19:45:05

Out of respect to you and your family, I will ask P-Span to contact you, Peaches... 

I still say it is all bullshit.

If P-Span sets me straight, I will apologize to you on this site...profusely...

I don't believe in coincidence...

#32 2010-08-31 19:52:14

peaches9 wrote:

For the record, I don't know Mr. Slager. I contacted him regarding the EEE threat. I initiated the contact not him.

p9,  I'm sympathetic to what you and your family are having to endure and wish (pray) only for full recovery for your brother.

I am curious, though.  How is it that with an issue as significant as EEE and the alleged contraction being from Wareham, that you did not contact the Wareham Courier, Wareham Week and the NB Standard Times as legitimate media sources in Wareham; especially if you "don't know [him]" ?  And by doing so, was your intent to notify the citizens of Wareham ?  Again, just curious.

God Bless your brother.

#33 2010-08-31 20:14:45

Thank you Mr Brady for your compassion.

I contacted Mr. Slager through his facebook page. I was at Mass General in the Neuro ICU late Friday when I contacted him. 
Mr. Slager is in my list of facebook contacts. I have never met or been introduced to him.

Since that time all of the other papers have reported on the story.  I want to reiterate that I do not personally know him. I thought that it was important for people to know as there is a chance he was infected here.  I would have been more than happy to talk to the other papers if they had not been informed, but by Friday night it was all over every news station.

My only concern is protecting others. He may have been bitten here in town and so no other family has to go what I have gone through people need to take this very seriously. 

Again, thank you for your prayers, he needs each and every one.

#34 2010-08-31 20:42:46

Meanwhile, the Wareham CPC has a plan to build a new marsh on the ED land at Swifts Beach.  In May 2010 the Municipal Maintenance Dept workers spent three weeks rebuilding the pipes that drain the three marsh areas North of Beach Street so that the area could be sprayed before the hatching season.  In the early fifties the palyground was developed on land that had been solid marsh.  The people of that area and era had more sense than to cultivate areas that produce mossquitos the source of EEEV virus - salt marshes.

Last edited by mama bear (2010-09-01 08:55:57)

#35 2010-08-31 20:47:21

Very true mama bear! Marshes and cranberry bogs are what the doctors told us are breeding grounds.

#36 2010-08-31 22:24:28

Peaches IX....  There's no one on this site who doesn't have compassion for the victim of a rare illness delivered by an insect that doesn't know one town from another.  What "ticked us off" was the way Mr.Slager  jumped to unsupportable conclusions and played  "small town politics" with a potentially tragic situation.  Go back and read his stuff. There's nothing in it except a perverse desire  to create a scandal out the unfortunate and extremely rare thing that happened to your brother. His only goal was/is to create as much turmoil and disruption as possible.

Another point: Although your brother's doctors were of the opinion that the incubation period for him was 5-7 days, the EEEV  on-line site says that the incubation period of the disease could be as long as 15 days. That possibility, plus the VERY likely possibility that your brother brought Middleboro mosquitoes with him to East Wareham,contributes to our disdain for Mr.Slager for his unconscionable attempt to create scandal and panic based on flimsy evidence. I need to add that this not a new behavior on his part. In fact, this site was born out of this man's despicable behavior.

Let's come back to your brother: He's "going through hell" right now, but I believe with every ounce of me that he is going to pull through, and as soon as he can take visitors I'll be there. I also live in the Eastern part of Wareham: give me a call: 508 291 1319.

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2010-08-31 23:22:51)

#37 2010-09-01 06:48:35

Thanks Mr. Wheeler for your offer to visit. At this time we are only allowing family as he is still in ICU. I do very much appreciate your concern though. Just pray for him to wake up!

#38 2010-09-01 08:30:22

What I find the most interesting is that you state :

The doctors have said that based on my brothers age an physical stature that he was bitten 5-7 days before he developed symptons.  He was in Wareham during that time period

and then you state:

I thought that it was important for people to know as there is a chance he was infected here

Therein lies the rub. When the king of tabloid turmoil states emphatically that your brother contracted EEE in Wareham, it creates the illusion that our own Public Health and TA lied. As  you stated, there is a chance it happened in Wareham but there is not conclusive proof.

Word twisting aside, I will include your brother in my prayers and my sincere best wishes for your family.

#39 2010-09-01 09:00:59

Isn't a chance good enough to cause conern? I assure you that if you have seen what I have in the last 10 days it would be for you. I do however thank you for your concern.

#40 2010-09-01 09:27:36

No doubt it causes concern. I agree with you and understand you and your family have been through a very difficult time. As many on here have said, if there is anything we can do, let us know.

The issue is not with you or your family, the issue is with the ability of a certain fiction writer to make the leap from possible to proof positive. If you review the coverage in the other local papers and town/state departments, you will see words that encourage people to take precautions. If you read what Bobo writes, you will see accusations and stating possibilities as facts. That is the issue.

Again, we will include you and your family in our prayers.

#41 2010-09-01 09:31:08

Thank you Mr. McDonald, I appreicate your prayers. My brother needs all he can get right now.

#42 2010-09-01 10:04:08

peaches9 - our hopes and good wishes go out to your brother as we wish for his full recovery.

#43 2010-09-01 10:54:02

Thanks Mr. Onset :)

#44 2010-09-01 10:54:54

I'm waiting for my apology, but not holding my breath for it.

danoconnell wrote:

Out of respect to you and your family, I will ask P-Span to contact you, Peaches... 

I still say it is all bullshit.

If P-Span sets me straight, I will apologize to you on this site...profusely...

I don't believe in coincidence...

#45 2010-09-01 11:39:45

Haven't heard from P-Span, Peach...

#46 2010-09-01 15:38:31

Peaches, I just heard from P-Span.

Please accept my sincere apology for doubting that the person infected with EEE was your brother.

You can believe me when I say that everyone on this site will help you and your family if the need be...we all, I know, will pray for his quick recovery, and I hope that you and your family can ease the pain you are feeling soon knowing that your brother will recover.

There are many on this site that have, over the past year, lost loved ones to disease, have had loved ones diagnosed with diseases, have been injured and sick themselves. We always rally around them, and we will do the same for you if you need help.

I meant no disrespect to you, your brother or your family. I just am one person here who doesn't believe anything, for the most part, that is written by your new friend. He is not a friend of anyone here, so I am always suspicious until I can confirm something.

Again, please accept my apologies, and thank you to Dick Wheeler and P-Span for the help.

#47 2010-09-01 15:57:39

My issue with this whole thing is that the family of the victim just wanted people to be aware that EEE is out there, they don't want anyone to suffer their pain.

But, the sensational press had to take it one step further and attempt to insite public panic.

The BOS said last night that everyone should be taking precautions (I know I do!) and that the state designates the risk level of a community. Fair enough.

Peaches, my family has been pryaing for your family since I heard this story on the news, we do hope that your brother makes a full recovery.

#48 2010-09-01 16:21:29

Thanks to both Dan and Zoo. We are hoping for him to wake up and trying to be patient. Nothing yet, but we aren't giving up.

#49 2010-09-01 17:31:13

mosquitos....and BIRDS!

first, let me add to the words of DanO and others to wish Peaches, her Brother, and her family the best possible outcome in their time of anguish. My wife & I hope for the best.

The culprit(s) in this unfortunate scenario are our little feathered friends....birds. I had vaguely recalled learning about viruses being transmittal from one host through a second to the final host (that would be us...and the horses). So, I looked it up.

The EEE virus is prevalant in birds. It is transmitted from bird to bird by a mosquito Culiseta Melanura, but only bird-to-bird. The bad dude is Coquillettidia perturbans, who feeds on both birds & mammals (that's us). Here's a few facts about Coq Per.

-midJune to mid august
-vicious biter
-readily enters homes
-larvae attach to submerged roots  -  impervious to control using certain pesticides
-suspected in transmission of EEE from birds to humans

So. Those cute little feathered creatures in the yard, at the feeders, singin' their songs are the real bad dudes. Along with their mosquito pal. I wondered about the distances involved in ranges on EEE virus, given that it seemed that mosquitos don't have a big range. but birds sure do.

Now, why couldn't a certain birdbrain have researched that? Probably didn't want to rat out his feathered cousins.

#50 2010-09-01 17:48:31

notalawyer wrote:

Now, why couldn't a certain birdbrain have researched that? Probably didn't want to rat out his feathered cousins.

lmao.  Thanx notal.

#51 2010-09-01 18:33:01

Notalawyer, the crazy part is the have a vaccine for HORSES!! Not humans, I guess not enough people have died.
All of you bird loving people, feed your birds in the fall after the first frost until March. After that stop, they can find thier own food and you will be adding another layer of protection for your family.

#52 2010-09-01 19:38:21

Let us know if you need anything, peaches...

#53 2010-09-01 21:16:12

Peaches, you are quite correct, there is a vaccine for horses.

But, what works in an animal does not always translate to those humanoids. Case in Point: DiMethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). works wonders for horse joints. Been tested on humans for decades, never approved. did my own test by spilling a good amount of DMSO on me in a lab. The joints were fine. It was that other DMSO property that was a problem. It makes your breathe stink like you have been chewing garlic. Nobody came near me for a week.

Really hope that all goes well for your brother.

#54 2010-09-01 21:41:16

Thank you, he is strong. He can do this I know he can. People can talk all they want about survival rates and such but they don't know who is laying under that blanket!

#55 2010-09-04 18:40:07

Has anyone heard from peaches?
Does she need any help?

#56 2010-09-04 19:16:12

Thanks Dan for asking. Just got home from the hospital. It's so hard knowing that I can't help him. I'm so emontionally drained. I just want this horrible nightmare to be over.

#57 2010-09-04 20:26:30

Peaches...as I said before, many of us on this site have been through the breath-taking pain you are experiencing....We are all praying for you and your family. Please tell us if there is ANYTHING you or your family needs.

Be strong and have faith....you have more friends than you know.

#58 2010-09-04 20:31:38

Thank you, I need all I can get. I will never give up hope until he wakes up and walks out the door holding the hands of his family who love him so very much.

#59 2010-09-05 08:40:17

Peaches...what is your brother's prognosis?
I am unfamiliar with the disease and how it affects people....is he in an induced coma?
Does he have a family that needs help?
We'll keep hoping and praying for you...hang tough.

#60 2010-09-05 09:02:08

Since this virus is so rare, there is no protocol as far as what to expect. We just have to wait, and wait, and wait. Aweful!

#61 2010-09-05 11:03:33

From the CDC website....I am passing this on to all so we can understand this incredibly rare disease.. I have another to follow...

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Eastern Equine encephalitis?
How do people get infected with EEE?
Where and when have most cases of EEE disease occurred?
Who is at risk for infection with EEE?
How soon do people get sick after getting bitten by an infected mosquito?
What are the symptoms of EEE disease?
How is EEE disease diagnosed?
What is the treatment for EEE disease?
How can people reduce the chance of getting infected with EEE?
What should I do if I think a family member might have EEE encephalitis?
What is Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE)?
EEE is a rare disease that is caused by a virus spread by infected mosquitoes. EEE virus (EEEV) is one of a group of mosquito-transmitted viruses that can cause inflammation of the brain (encephalitis). In the United States, approximately 5-10 EEE cases are reported annually.

How do people get infected with EEEV?
EEEV is transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito. Disease transmission does not occur directly from person to person.

Where and when have most cases of EEE occurred?
Most cases of EEE have been reported from Atlantic and Gulf Coast states. Cases have also been reported from the Great Lakes region. EEE cases occur primarily from late spring through early fall, but in subtropical endemic areas (e.g., the Gulf States), rare cases can occur in winter.

Who is at risk for infection with EEEV?
Anyone in an area where the virus is circulating can get infected with EEEV. The risk is highest for people who live in or visit woodland habitats, and people who work outside or participate in outdoor recreational activities, because of greater exposure to potentially infected mosquitoes.

How soon do people get sick after getting bitten by an infected mosquito?
It takes 4 to 10 days after the bite of an infected mosquito to develop symptoms of EEE.

What are the symptoms of EEEV disease?
Severe cases of EEEV infection (EEE, involving encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain) begin with the sudden onset of headache, high fever, chills, and vomiting. The illness may then progress into disorientation, seizures, and coma. Approximately a third of patients who develop EEE die, and many of those who survive have mild to severe brain damage.

How is EEE diagnosed?
Diagnosis is based on tests of blood or spinal fluid. These tests typically look for antibodies that the body makes against the viral infection.

What is the treatment for EEE?
There is no specific treatment for EEE. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses, and no effective anti-viral drugs have been discovered. Severe illnesses are treated by supportive therapy which may include hospitalization, respiratory support, IV fluids, and prevention of other infections.

How can people reduce the chance of getting infected with EEEV?
Prevent mosquito bites. There is no vaccine or preventive drug.

#62 2010-09-05 11:08:14

Another part of the CDC website

Symptoms
The incubation period for Eastern equine encephalitis virus (EEEV) disease (the time from infected mosquito bite to onset of illness) ranges from 4 to 10 days. EEEV infection can result in one of two types of illness, systemic or encephalitic (involving swelling of the brain, referred to below as EEE). The type of illness will depend on the age of the person and other host factors. It is possible that some people who become infected with EEEV may be asymptomatic (will not develop any symptoms).

Systemic infection has an abrupt onset and is characterized by chills, fever, malaise, arthralgia, and myalgia. The illness lasts 1 to 2 weeks, and recovery is complete when there is no central nervous system involvement. In infants, the encephalitic form is characterized by abrupt onset; in older children and adults, encephalitis is manifested after a few days of systemic illness. Signs and symptoms in encephalitic patients are fever, headache, irritability, restlessness, drowsiness, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, cyanosis, convulsions, and coma.

Approximately a third of all people with EEE die from the disease. Death usually occurs 2 to 10 days after onset of symptoms but can occur much later. Of those who recover, many are left with disabling and progressive mental and physical sequelae, which include can range from minimal brain dysfunction to severe intellectual impairment, personality disorders, seizures, paralysis, and cranial nerve dysfunction. Many patients with severe sequelae die within a few years.

Treatment
No human vaccine against EEEV infection or specific antiviral treatment for clinical EEEV infections is available. Patients with suspected EEE should be evaluated by a healthcare provider, appropriate serologic and other diagnostic tests ordered, and supportive treatment provided.

Clinical Evaluation (for Health Care Providers)
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) findings include neutrophil-predominant pleocytosis and elevated protein lClinical Evaluation (for Health Care Providers)
Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) findings include neutrophil-predominant pleocytosis and elevated protein levels; glucose levels are normal. Brain lesions are typical of encephalomyelitis and include neuronal destruction and vasculitis, which is perivascular and parenchymous at the cortex, midbrain, and brain stem. There is minimal involvement of the spinal cord.

EEEV is difficult to isolate from clinical samples; almost all isolates (and positive PCR results) have come from brain tissue or CSF. Serologic testing remains the primary method for diagnosing EEEV infection. Combined with a consistent clinical presentation in an endemic area, a rapid and accurate diagnosis of acute neuroinvasive EEEV disease can be made by the detection of EEEV-specific IgM antibody in serum or CSF. EEEV IgM tests are available commercially, in some state health department laboratories, and at CDC. A positive EEEV IgM test result should be confirmed by neutralizing antibody testing of acute- and convalescent-phase serum specimens at a state public health laboratory or CDC. To submit specimens for testing at CDC, please contact your state health department.

All EEEV disease cases should be reported to local public health authorities. Reporting can assist local, state and national authorities to recognize outbreaks of this rare disease and to institute control measures to limit future infections.

#63 2010-09-05 11:13:00

More info:
From CDC

Epidemiology & Geographic Distribution
Eastern equine encephalitis virus (EEEV) is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito. Human EEEV cases occur relatively infrequently, largely because the primary transmission cycle takes place in and around swampy areas where human populations tend to be limited. All residents of and visitors to areas where EEEV activity has been identified are at risk of infection. People who engage in outdoor work and recreational activities in endemic areas are at increased risk of infection. Persons over age 50 and under age 15 seem to be at greatest risk for developing severe disease when infected with EEEV. Overall, only about 4-5% of human EEEV infections result in EEE. EEEV infection is thought to confer life-long immunity against re-infection. It does not confer significant cross-immunity against other alphaviruses (e.g., western equine encephalitis virus), and it confers no cross-immunity against flaviviruses (e.g., West Nile virus) or bunyaviruses (e.g., La Crosse virus)

In the United States, an average of 6 human cases of EEE are reported annually. To ensure standardization of reporting across the country, CDC recommends that the national surveillance case definition be consistently applied by all state health departments.

Most cases of EEE have been reported from Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. EEEV transmission is most common in and around freshwater hardwood swamps in the Atlantic and Gulf Coast states and the Great Lakes region.

Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus Neuroinvasive Disease Cases Reported by Year, 1964-2008

PDF version (28kb / 1 page) [requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]

Data Table: In the United States, approximately 5-7 Eastern equine encephalitis virus neuroinvasive disease cases are reported annually. This graph demonstrates how the number of cases can vary markedly from year to year.

Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus Neuroinvasive Disease Cases Reported by State, 1964-2008

PDF version (148 kb / 1 page) [requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]

Data table: From 1964 through 2008, human EEE cases have been reported in Alabama (7), Delaware (3), Florida (66), Georgia (28), Indiana (3), Louisiana (16), Maryland (4), Massachusetts (35), Michigan (13), Mississippi (6), New Hampshire (11), New Jersey (20), New York (2), North Carolina (16), Pennsylvania (2), Rhode Island (5), South Carolina (13), Texas (2), Virginia (4), and Wisconsin (1).

Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus Neuroinvasive Disease Average Annual Incidence by County, 1996-2008

PDF version (64 kb / 1 page) [requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]

Data Table: This map shows the distribution of Eastern equine encephalitis virus neuroinvasive disease (encephalitis and/or meningitis) average annual incidence from 1996 through 2008. Counties are shaded according to incidences ranging from less than 0.05, 05 to 0.19, and greater than 0.2 per 100,000 population. Shaded counties are distributed along the Gulf Coast, Eastern seaboard, and the Great Lakes. Most of the highest incidence counties are in Florida, southeastern Georgia, southern Alabama, and the Carolinas.

#64 2010-09-05 11:15:38

This is the last but most interesting I think: 

From the CDC website:

Arboviral Diagnostic Testing
Preliminary diagnosis is often based on the patient's clinical features, places and dates of travel (if patient is from a non-endemic country or area), activities, and epidemiologic history of the location where infection occurred.

Laboratory diagnosis of arboviral infections is generally accomplished by testing of serum or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) to detect virus-specific IgM and neutralizing antibodies.

In fatal cases, nucleic acid amplification, histopathology with immunohistochemistry and virus culture of autopsy tissues can also be useful. Only a few state laboratories or other specialized laboratories, including those at CDC, are capable of doing this specialized testing.

Instructions for sending diagnostic specimens to the DVBID Arbovirus Diagnostic Laboratory can be found at the following site: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/misc/ar … pping.htm.

Test results are normally available 4 to 14 days after specimen receipt. Reporting times for test results may be longer during summer months when arbovirus activity increases. Receipt of a hard copy of the results will take at least 2 weeks after testing is completed. Initial serological testing will be performed using IgM capture ELISA, MIA (Microsphere-Based Immunoassay) and IgG ELISA. If the initial results are positive, further confirmatory testing may delay the reporting of final results. ALL RESULTS WILL BE SENT TO THE APPROPRIATE STATE HEALTH DEPARTMENT. Notify your state health department of any submissions to CDC.

#65 2010-09-05 12:11:07

After reading this, I'm sure you will all have a better picture. It's just unimagineable. Someone get me a magic wand!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com