#1 2010-08-21 11:33:00

This is embarrassing.

The Board of Selectmen haven't met in a month, so how's our esteemed Town Administrator spent his time?

7. TOWN ADMINISTRATORÆS REPORT

I. 1st Annual National Night Out.
II. Cranberry Commons Task Force Update.
IV. Wareham Skin Cancer Screening Day.
VI. Massachusetts Cultural Council û Adams Arts Program Grant opportunity.
VII. Take Pride in Wareham.
IX. Municipal Law Seminar.
X. Memorial Benches.
XII. Board of Health Emergency Plan.
XIII. [The Mark Andrews] Safe Summer 2010 Update.
XIV. Civil Service Ceremony.
XVII. Wareham District Court.
XVIII. Vessel Safety Day.

Here's the horror show you have to watch:

V. Personnel Update.

Who quit this week?

VIII. Municipal Early Retirement Incentive Program.

Who's quitting next week?

XI. Leadership Team Update.

Who's left?

XVI. Onset Pier Renovations.

Even money says they erect a Mark Andrews Memorial Bench in its wreckage.

III. Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act office consultation and site visit (MEPA) EEA#14634 Wal-Mart Proposal EOEA.

It's a done deal and we're screwed.

Last edited by billw (2010-08-21 13:57:16)

#2 2010-08-21 13:53:22

billw wrote:

III. Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act office consultation and site visit (MEPA) EEA#14634 Wal-Mart Proposal EOEA.

It's a done deal and we're screwed.

No we'll be fine.  Wareham's CEDA director will be out there in no time, promoting Wareham and trying to convince other retailers to open up an anchor store in East Wareham to replace Wal-Mart, so that shoppers will continue to flow into town from the Cape and East Wareham will be prevented from becoming a ghost town.

Wait, what, we don't have someone to do all that?  Our CEDA director quit under the weight of Brenda and Janey's backseat driving and nit-pickery? 

Ok then yes, yes we are screwed.  Look out for tumbleweeds blowing through East Wareham.

#3 2010-08-21 14:40:22

Folks,
I've been saying this for a long time. I came from a small town in Tennessee that experienced the Wal-Mart way. They abandoned a thriving strip mall area to put in a SUPER Walmart. They made promises to help the effort to find new tenants for the old shopping plaza. Hmmm, guess what? Three years later, all the small stores that were anchored were gone and the grocery stores that were within 1 mile of the old store went out of business.

The old Wal-Mart ended up being a giant indoor flea market....whooooopeee

Walmart is a business and they are in the business of helping themselves. I love shopping at Wal-mart because they have low prices but they have low prices for a reason. They don't care about the mess they leave behind.

Enough said....

#4 2010-08-21 17:39:48

seeems to me that since the new walmart will be some what on industrial zoned land and that town meeting voted  no commericialenterpries on industrial land  then it should not be be built on indudtrial land and only on commerical land or not at all.

#5 2010-08-21 19:13:54

Bill, you know what I love about you? You are always so succinct.

Yes, our esteemed TA has been a busy boy, busy being a salesman. What his report should say is: Things I should be doing but don't know how so they get left undone.

1. Negotiate the union contracts. Does the general public know that the police contract was filed at the Joint Labor Management Committee (aka JLMC), remember the who multi million dollar award the Boston Firefighters got that made the headlines a month or two ago? Yup, same people. Only Police and Fire have a right to this little priviledge but it is a dangerous one. The JLMC can award anything it wants and the BOS is REQUIRED to support it at Town Meeting. So, let's see, the contract is out about 4 years, anyone want to figure 12% on the salaries of the officers. That would probably mean no Wonderful Winter 2010.

2. Replace lost workers so we can get some work done. Despite the glorified life guards and the not so reliable volunteers at the pier, we have an understaffed MM, every office in Town Hall is short staffed, the library positions have never been replaced, we are down roughly 10 police officers, and I won't even get into the number of ddepartment heads that are "interim".

3. Deal with the sewer treatment plant. We all know DEP is on his ass about this and what does he do? He blames Mark Gifford, why? Well, for those of you who are new Mark Gifford's lovely wife Susan beat John Donahue for State Representative. The Donahue's never forget these things and Mr. Andrews works for Jane.

4. Figure out what he is going to tell the public when our million dollar CEDA grant is llost thanks to his mismanagement of the day to day operations which the BOS should have never given him to begin with.

Hey Jane, where is his evaluation, youall let his probationary period slip by, now let's assess the damage shall we?

#6 2010-08-22 15:47:00

billlw, from the above BOS agenda:

What exactly is this?  Anyone know?

#7 2010-08-22 16:42:47

townie wrote:

What exactly is this?  Anyone know?

Shoot. If you'd asked me about XVII. Wareham District Court., I'd have answered definitively, the John Donahue Employment Act (JDEA).

Instead, I'm just as worried about that one myself.

#8 2010-08-22 17:19:01

It could be a performance recognition ceremony for a civil service employee.  Another meaning of “Civil Service Ceremony” is a service for a couple who specifically do not want a religious, faith, or spiritually based wedding service. It is secular in nature. It is similar to what a “Justice of the Peace” would offer. No reference to God, religion, or faith.

#9 2010-08-22 18:54:07

It is most likely the ceremony Mark held for the newly promoted officers and their families.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com