#1 2010-07-25 00:09:54

Wareham officials share 'vision' at waterfront groundbreaking

By Steve Decosta
sdecosta@s-t.com
July 24, 2010 12:00 AM

WAREHAM — State and town officials broke ground Friday on a project they hope will make the Wareham Village waterfront a busier and more dynamic place.

Beginning in September, crews from Grove Construction of Hopedale will replace the deteriorating Besse Park seawall, hopefully making the riverfront site just down the hill from Tobey Hospital more hospitable.

While the project will not change the look of the small park popular with fishermen, town officials hope the repair will provide economic development opportunities in the area.

"I have a vision of the hustle and bustle of seaport activities on the most beautiful waterfront I've ever seen," Town Administrator Mark Andrews told the assembled dignitaries at Friday's groundbreaking.

Selectman Stephen Holmes concurred. "I have a vision of a future parade of boats here every day in the summer to enjoy this beautiful waterfront."

"They have the vision; they see this community blossoming," said Louis Elisa, executive director of the state Seaport Advisory Council, which is providing $575,000 for the project. "It's our job to help them get it done."

The town is contributing $145,000 for the work.

Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray, who chairs the advisory council, lauded the project as a source of economic development and jobs.

"People often ask, 'Where do my tax dollars go?'" Murray said. "In this case, they go to projects like this, where there's a limited strategic investment in infrastructure that leverages private investment and creates jobs."

Work is scheduled to begin in September with town workers beginning to demolish the current structure. Starting Oct. 1, about 10 workers from Grove Construction will build the new bulkhead, with completion scheduled for December.

The project was designed by GAF Engineering of Wareham.

#2 2010-07-25 00:16:40

There is a time capsule buried in Besse Park that we placed during the 1976 Bi-Centennial celebration. I wonder if there is still any reminder of it, and if anyone knows when it was supposed to be retrieved.

#3 2010-07-25 01:26:25

Here's another Besse time capsule question for you. The next two photos appear in one of my family photo albums. I think they date to the 1860s but really haven't a clue. Anyone know?

http://buzzardsbay.net/dykes/thumb/045.Mrs.Alden.Besse_Wareham.jpg  http://buzzardsbay.net/dykes/thumb/046.Capt.Alden.Besse_Wareham.jpg
Capt & Mrs Alden Besse, Wareham. Click to enlarge.

#4 2010-07-25 08:11:02

Last time I was in the park, the time capsule was still there. It is located in the center island of the parking lot and there is a rock marking its location with stanchions and heavy chain surrounding it.  If I remember properly, it is supposed to be opened in 2076, a hundred years.

#5 2010-07-25 08:29:35

Too bad...I think I put a funny cartoon in it...don't know how funny it will be in 2076!!
Bill...there is no doubt who Alden Besse was....one of the founding fathers of Wareham and a visionary that has been well written about and his vociferous warnings of the over development of Wareham and the diminishing of resources long before the environment was important to most folks.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com