#1 2010-05-11 10:32:12

If it has not become abundantly clear, Wareham is now holding leadership accountable. Citizens are stepping up to take ownership of our precious town. Attempts to side-step the will of the voters will no longer be tolerated. We want to be part of the process and not apathetic bystanders who will just accept what you tell us as gospel.  This is a good thing!
The problem now is how to proceed and continue to make progress? A good example is affordable senior housing. Instead of putting all our eggs in one basket (Westfield), we should consider all the options. Put together a committee that will attack the problem using any and all land and assets available. Consider a comprehensive plan that recognizes the issue, the constraints, and the possible road blocks. Develop solutions and alternatives that can be implemented in a timely fashion.  We have wasted so much time concentrating on Westfield as the ONLY alternative. It is time for solutions.
I have no doubt the Charter Review Committee spent a great deal of time developing a charter, and they are to be commended for their efforts. The unfortunate part is that it excluded the voters from the process and ignored the direction sought by a majority of citizens. We all recognize that Town meeting has challenges to overcome and they should be addressed, but it is democracy in the purest form. Instead of wasting time trying to eliminate our form of government, you could have tried to improve it by reviewing the charter. Now you are left with limited time to perform the duties that should have been first and foremost on your mind. Perhaps the task should be assigned to a more representative group of citizens?
The point is simple; we need to stop forcing citizens of Wareham to accept decisions that do not reflect the will of the voters. It wastes time and stymies progress. The two examples above prove that we, as a town, are wasting time and little is accomplished. Involve the citizens and let them express their views. Then the leadership can incorporate the views into an action plan that benefits the citizens. If you want the voters to support your ideas then listen to our voices before you make decisions. That will keep Wareham on the track to prosperity. 
Melodye Conway said it best during OPL candidate’s night. If you aren’t part of the solution, you are part of the problem!  It is time to ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

#2 2010-05-11 23:37:48

We had, after much work and study, a Wareham Housing Partnership. It had good representation and gave Wareham added cache at the state level toward the Commonwealth Capital process. It was abolished by the former Board of Selectmen. Why?  Many cities and towns have such a housing partnership and it works.  This group would review housing proposals and bring recommendations to the Board of Selectmen and eventually to Town Meeting.  Another example of how we went backward, but if we could build toward this again, we could go forward. Thanks, Bruce.

#3 2010-05-12 10:12:24

The Housing Partnership was "sunset" because "Brucey" and the rest of the board did not like their recommendations and over-site of the Towns Housing Plan which held them responsible for housing in the Town. They also HATED Marilyn Whalley. Unfortunately, according to them, she could do nothing right and squabbled over who had control over her position. It is uncertain now, in my opinion, whether we have a   certified housing plan. I also question if anyone is reviewing it anymore.

#4 2010-05-12 11:42:37

I don't think anyone has ever expressed the "Where are we?", " How did we get here?", and, "What must be done?" issues better than Larry has.

The present spokesperson for the CRC, Alan Slavin, strikes me as a guy who has the humility to start afresh , but there are some others on the original committee  who are  unrepentant zealots for a mayoral form of government and will probably impede attempts by the fair minded members of the committee to be more responsive and inclusive in the second go-around. 

Perhaps some will admit that their minds are made up and therefore do the right thing and resign, but I'm not going to bet on it.  The CRC will, at the very least , have to be closely monitored by a cohesive, dedicated,"shadow committee" that releases  reviews  to the rest of us through  WCCTV and the legitimate press.

#5 2010-05-12 15:43:32

Mr. Slavin was being introduced to someone and he referred to himself as the "Mayor of Wareham".    Of course, this was just before town meeting.  I don't hold him as trustable.

Any meetings held by the CRC should be held in a public building, not a private home, at any time, under any conditions.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com