#1 2010-05-10 20:43:06

Current government stands, no Mayor for Wareham.....

Go home Bobo!

#2 2010-05-10 21:16:56

Breaking news everything bobo endorses gets voted down.

#3 2010-05-10 22:11:04

Two things...

The vote on Article 25 is a mandate to strengthen Town Meeting. How? by the ongoing presence of this group at every session, esp. including may 24, 2010. There is a need to avoid the "i-told-you-so" which will fly if the attendance is paltry on that date.

Second. the Halifax Town Meeting began tonite. No doubt your favorite BoBo was AWOL from the Wareham Town Meeting so he could vote on every article on the Halifax warrant. Look for a detailed report on the Halifax Town Meeting in the next edition of the "World According to BoBo". You will have to look long & hard.

#4 2010-05-10 22:22:11

BREAKING NEWS: The Ham of Peace offers the following expert commentary:

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!  BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HAH AH AH HAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA!

DEMOCRACY - 1, TIN HATS - 0

#5 2010-05-10 22:32:49

I find it very disturbing that the second in command of the Charter Review Committee abruptly exited the auditorium after article 25 was defeated two to one BY THE VOTING BODY.  I guess members of the Charter Review Committee feel that the other twenty five articles are meaningless.  The voters need to demand to our Board of Selectmen that the committee be disolved and regroup!  I cant wait to see what kind of charter will be proposed and how many holes will be in it if this grudge group is allowed to continue...

#6 2010-05-10 22:43:45

Thank you to the  235 town meeting voters (out of 372) who voted for keeping the present form of government.

The "Hate site" bloggers are always being accused of stacking the TM meeting with special interest voters.  Sitting in a side area of the auditorium, I witnessed the entire row in front of me, leave after this article was defeated.  Many others filed out at that time also, and a few looked to be elderly.

The entire row in front of me was NOT elderly and the entire row voted YES for article 25.  Hmmmmmmm...............!

#7 2010-05-10 22:44:34

I too have noticed that everything Bobo endorses loses.  Bobo spent his whole weekend lobbying everyone he could find on facebook to vote for abolishing town meeting and they still had a blowout defeat. 

Bobo, could you please endorse global warming?  If you do then we should have a pristine environment by the end of the week.

#8 2010-05-10 22:46:42

I agree! Time for new members who will examine the charter fairly and with commonsense. How about an open process this time, and no meetings at someone's house on a Saturday, which has been reported.  Maybe invite some of the previous applicants who didn't have a chance.

#9 2010-05-10 22:48:46

slager, bruce brenda ,jane cronan,mick and others have egg on there face people are wise to these clowns , westfield voted down mayor voted down , bruce , cronan, and curley thrown out of office , we the voters are clening up the mess these clowns brought to wareham , brenda and jane have yet to go and only then the night mare these clowns brought to wareham will be over,  you are all irrelvant go stick your head into the sand like .

#10 2010-05-10 22:55:05

The more bobo writes the more we win. Thanks bobo

#11 2010-05-10 22:55:50

People, have a heart.  Certain political hacks were banking on this.  Now they'll have to get jobs.  Most likely, jobs involving paper hats.

Bobo, maybe you can set up a rag in this town:

http://alllayedout.com/Images/Funny_Posters/graphics/welcome_to_loserville_-_population_you.jpg

#12 2010-05-10 22:57:44

That's right now Donahue might have to get an actual job now. Oh dear lord I can't bear the thought

#13 2010-05-10 22:58:48

By: 4dognite on 5/10/10
I'm really discouraged.....

You should move to Halifax and screw up that town for a few years. It's over people

#14 2010-05-10 23:06:16

Bobo, please endorse any team that plays against the Red Sox.  We'll win every World Series into infinity.

#15 2010-05-10 23:10:37

Bobo, please endorse the Iraq War.  Our boys will be home by the end of the month.

#16 2010-05-10 23:21:56

Bobo, I'm watching the weather forecast and he says its going to be rainy this week.  Could you please endorse rain?  Come on, Bobo we need the sun to come out.

#18 2010-05-10 23:27:35

Mick Jones and his wife, along with lots of others who SUPPORTED article 25 filed out immediately following its defeat, one individual reported that his wife saluted Jane, wtf?
I suppose they should move somewhere there is a Mayor and he should run for city council.

#19 2010-05-10 23:29:30

BREAKING NEWS:  Sox beat Blue Jays 7-6.  Bobo, the people of Boston thank you for endorsing Toronto.

#20 2010-05-11 00:43:21

Very nice, Pride...Is that tin foil I see on that guy's glasses?..for better reception I'ld guess.

No gloating on this one for me. The voter's made their choice, and I think they did the right thing. Donna Bronk hit the nail on the head right away, and it was great to hear everyone speaking with passion about "our" Town Meeting.

I'ld like to see some things happen in town, and at future Town Meeting's. I think there should ALWAYS be a room available were TM voter's can have someone watch their children while "Mom & Dad" participate at Town Meeting. It's a valid "beef"...and one I think "we" could do something about. I hope Claire Smith and Barry Rabinovitch are listening...also (as I wrote previously) I "think" there must be some way to "give" registered voter's who can't come to Town Meeting the ability to watch from home and cast their votes remotely. I'm sure voter participation would increase dramatically. This ain't rocket science..I'm sure there were plenty of people who felt ATM cards would never be secure enough..or banking online...but look at how widespread those "practices" are today. We CAN improve on the "system".

Nice to see everyone at Town Meeting..I look forward to seeing you at many more.

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#21 2010-05-11 01:06:12

Steve Decosta wrote:

May 11, 2010 12:00 AM

WAREHAM — Town Meeting has spoken and, in this case, that means Town Meeting will continue to speak.

By a surprisingly large margin of 235 to 137, voters Monday rejected the Charter Review Committee's proposal to overhaul the town's government and replace Town Meeting and the Board of Selectmen with an elected mayor and an 11-member legislative town council...

ST: Wareham sticks with town meeting format

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#22 2010-05-11 01:34:19

http://wareham-ma.villagesoup.com/news/ … mayor/1684

"After the vote, Chairman Slavin reiterated his commitment to review the existing Charter. Leaving the auditorium after the meeting, he said that the committee would meet Thursday to decide their next steps.

"We gave it our best shot," he said. But he warned that if people were upset with the path they took for Special Acts legislation with this proposal, they would probably complain again when the committee made its next set of recommendations at next Town Meeting.

"We think we have to change the job descriptions of some town employees," Slavin said, mentioning the possibility that the Town Administrator be elected, for example, among other ideas that the committee has discussed. "We can't do that as committee, so to get it done in time for Town Meeting, we'll have to use the Special Acts again."

This is exactly why they need to disolve this committee immediately!  These clowns will never produce a standard charter without some snag in it! 

DISOLVE THE CRC!!!!!!! REGROUP!!!!!!!

#23 2010-05-11 02:09:15

Cyrus Moulton wrote:

Wareham voters soundly rejected replacing Town Meeting with a mayor and town council form of government, voting 137 - 235 against the proposal on Monday evening....

WW: Town Meeting says no to mayor

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#24 2010-05-11 02:25:36

Wareham sticks with town meeting format
By Steve Decosta
sdecosta@s-t.com
May 11, 2010 12:00 AM

WAREHAM — Town Meeting has spoken and, in this case, that means Town Meeting will continue to speak.

By a surprisingly large margin of 235 to 137, voters Monday rejected the Charter Review Committee's proposal to overhaul the town's government and replace Town Meeting and the Board of Selectmen with an elected mayor and an 11-member legislative town council.

Proponents argued that the voters only would be agreeing to send a proposed new charter to the state Legislature and then to the general Wareham electorate for approval, and Moderator Claire Smith asked voters to limit debate to those issues, but voters nonetheless made passionate arguments about keeping their voice in the legislative process.

Linda Rinta said she "appreciated being able to participate in this debate."

"We all have access. Anybody can come before this meeting. That's a beautiful thing."

Mel Lazarus, a high school teacher, argued, "It is inconceivable to me that we would vote ourselves out of a job, and that's what we would be doing: voting ourselves out of the process."

Dave Walton, who said he has been part of the town for 60 years, said: "In this town, if you show up all the time, you are frowned upon as being part of a special interest group or the power elite. You get accused of things that are absurd when you really mean well. Don't give it up."

"Town Meeting may be cumbersome," newly elected Selectman Cara Winslow argued, "but it is our opportunity to speak our minds. Debate is healthy."

Colleague Stephen Holmes, also newly elected, looked over the collected assembly and said, "This is citizens' participation right here, and I think most of the time Town Meeting gets it right."

Many speakers questioned the process by which the Charter Review Committee reached its conclusion, opting to present an entire new charter as opposed to reviewing the original document, as provided for in the charter.

"The reason this should not go forward is the process that was used," School Committee Chairman Cliff Sylvia said. "The process was to review the charter, not to present a new form of government. This should not go forward."

And many of the speakers told of growing up in cities, where citizens had little or no involvement in local government. "This is a breath of fresh air because everybody gets to participate," Sylvia said.

Finance Committee member Daniel Cheever argued that Town Meeting "is not really pure democracy."

"A legislative body of this size can't really debate and grasp the significance of complicated issues."

Proponents kept saying all approval would do is advance the process and allow the entire electorate to consider the issue.

"All we are doing is moving the process along, giving all voters of Wareham the right to make a decision" Michael Schneider said. "If we fail, it basically proves that Town Meeting does not work."

Former Selectman Bruce Sauvageau said, "Three hundred people tonight shouldn't decide for 15,000 registered voters. We are simply allowing the greater electorate to have a voice."

In a Powerpoint presentation to voters, the Charter Review Committee said its proposal would provide "a government that hears you, that is helpful, economical, accountable and responsible. Things happen faster with a single individual, a mayor, responsible. The buck stops in the mayor's office."

And while "citizens can expect greater services with an expanded body of elected officials, 12 in all, to hear them," the committee said its plan "keeps both the executive and legislative branches accountable with the appropriate checks and balances."

In the wake of the vote, Chairman Alan Slavin said the Charter Review Committee would "continue to work on the existing charter and make modifications to it." The committee will present any recommendations for change at an upcoming Town Meeting.

#25 2010-05-11 07:37:50

Thank you, Wareham!!

#26 2010-05-11 08:10:06

How do we appeal to the Board of Selectmen to retire this committee and allow new members to apply?  I am sure a better representation of our community would result.

#27 2010-05-11 08:19:00

tmvoter wrote:

How do we appeal to the Board of Selectmen to retire this committee and allow new members to apply?  I am sure a better representation of our community would result.

Simple. Contact each of the three selectmen who voted against the Charter Review proposal.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#28 2010-05-11 08:26:29

Good for the newly elected Selectmen!! Steve Holmes was perfect when he said, "I ran for and won Selectman in Wareham. Keep our government"
Cara was concise and to the point and very well spoken.
Mr. Cruz voted his conscious and although he is the "quiet" one, he now is the control vote on the BOS.
Wareham is in a much better place now after the last election and these recent Town Meetings.
The future looks bright for those who know that this is only the beginning. Lots of work ahead, but it all looks positive.

#29 2010-05-11 09:28:15

Bobo, Bob Kraft called.  He wants to know if you'll endorse the throwing arm of anyone who goes up against Tom Brady.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-05-11 09:30:14)

#30 2010-05-11 09:52:19

Bobo, Pepsi called will you support Coca Cola?
Bobo, the Pope called...will you support the theory of evolution?
Bobo, night time called..will you support the sunlight?
Bobo, commonsense called..will you support senselessness? (Oh, wait..you already do that one..)

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#31 2010-05-11 10:15:41

P-SPAN THE MAN!

Bobo, the UN called.  They want to know if you'll endorse "war" so that world peace will instantly break out.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com