#1 2010-05-08 17:02:00

Based on what Bobo wrote and the official election results, here is some interesting math:
Steve Holmes was the top vote getter with 2,056 votes, he took in $9,097.00 and spent $8,960.85 meaning each vote "cost" $4.36.
Cara Winslow was the next top vote getter with 1,802 votes, she took in $3,796.00 and spent $3,728.53 meaning each vote "cost" $2.07.
John Cronan placed third with 1,337 votes, he took in $2,750.00 and spent $2,803.00 meaning each vote "cost" $2.09.
Sweet Brucey placed fourth with 1,174 votes, he did not accept campaign contributions but spent $2,403.00 meaning each vote "cost" $2.05.
DeFelice placed last with 978 votes and reported no contributions and no expenses.

What can be gleaned by this information is that, aside from Holmes who was a "nobody" going into the election, the candidates each spent a little over $2.00 for each vote they received with the average at $2.07. Holmes faced a different battle, he did not sit on tv every Tuesday and he had not run a race in previous years. This meant he was up against four people who all had name recognition, which was something he lacked. Overall he did a good job of getting his name out there, he did get the most votes. It would be expected, up against for challengers who all had that "name recognition", that he would spend far more money then the others.

What is the point of my rambling you ask? Well, just proving that elections cannot be bought, if it weren't for the unique circumstances surrounding this race for Holmes it is more fair to say that for the MAJORITY of the candidates they averaged roughly the same seperated only by pennies.

We do not have exact numbers for the moderator race but I did some rough math and it looks like Smith spent about $1.00 more per vote she earned, however, Smith also has never run for public office and had to invest in all those signs (yes, all those signs)! Again, not a significant difference. Because we do not have actual dollars published for Donahue the "cost" per vote could actually be higher for him. They aren't that far apart.

In conclusion, Slager (as usual) is a lying piece of conspiracy theory crap! Elections aren't bought in Wareham assclown.

#2 2010-05-09 06:51:53

Jeb

iliveinazoo wrote:

Based on what Bobo wrote and the official election results, here is some interesting math:
    Snip.............................................

In conclusion, Slager (as usual) is a lying piece of conspiracy theory crap! Elections aren't bought in Wareham assclown.

Your math may be OK but your logic tends to justifies Mr Slagers argument of 'bought votes' even more. You just nailed down what each vote cost.
Happy Mothers day

#3 2010-05-09 08:26:28

Jeb, with all the active voters your incumbent redcoats went out of their way to villify, a dead man would have beat them in the last election.

They spent no money because they had no money or support, confident of their plans to install themselves with a new charter in city hall.

Happy now? Wait'll the indictments fly.

#4 2010-05-09 08:30:46

I agree with Jeb that there is a direct mathematical correlation between money spent and total votes received.  However, one cannot conclude that the amount of money spent was the cause of the vote total.  Top vote getter Steve Holmes not only spent a lot of money, he did other things that attracted voters.  There are many factors in an election, and I don't think anyone fully understands all the reasons people vote for a candidate.  I remember someone telling me they voted for George Bush because if he lost, she would feel bad for his mother!

#5 2010-05-09 08:44:58

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

To say that an "election was bought" is to also say that the residents of this town are morons and dupes.  If the tin hat squad wants to say that, then please by all means.  It'll help them lose the next election that much more.

The Hypocrite Elite had a foolish strategy.  They believed they could attack, defame, lie, and destroy anyone who disagreed with them and their lackey reporter would always be able to smooth things over for them.

They pissed too many people off with their hateful ways.  With every year, the number of pissed off people grew exponentially, and in 2010, it finally caught up to them.

The challengers received support, in financial donations and in volunteers, because people knew the alternative - three more years of Hypocrite Elite rule, would leave this town destroyed.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-05-09 08:48:16)

#6 2010-05-09 08:48:53

Actually what the math shows is that elections do cost money, there are ads, mailings, robocalls, and events to pay for. Holmes had an up-hill battle so of course he invested more. That paid off. But it isn't "buying" an election.

If you look at the others they all spent roughly the same per vote yet there are hundreds of votes between them, that is all that extra stuff like standing in front of post offices and food stores. I never saw Sweet Brucey in public, he assumed he would be re-elected because he is arrogant.

Buying elections is just the kind of sensational news Slager likes but it doesn't add up, pardon the pun. When you look at the money spent, the vote count and the individual challenges the candidates faced it is easy to see why the challengers prevailed.

I agree Mr. Onset that no one knows why people vote. After 40 years in public employment having watched countless local politicians win, lose and sometimes tie I have concluded that voting is a personal matter.

#7 2010-05-09 10:06:10

Who cares what the troll says?
He should have been gone a long time ago. Let's hope this week's Town Meeting sends him packing somewhere else. He can take his love muffin Bruce with him.

#8 2010-05-09 10:30:36

The challengers had people lining up to volunteer.  They were out holding signs way back in the beginning of March.  People were fed up with bad leadership and were willing to put in the time to volunteer to help bring about change. 

Nobody was lining up to help Sweet Brucey.  The tin hats could have, but they apparently felt their time was better spent sitting in the tin hat chat telling each other how great they are.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-05-09 10:39:26)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com