#1 2010-05-02 11:42:34

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … Report.pdf

If you have not read the minority report to the proposed charter, please do so before town meeting.  This represents the opposing view to the proposed Charter that will come before us at our town meeting this week.

The author makes many excellent points in my opinion, specifically regarding special interests, voter apathy, town meeting votes, and the addition of personnel procedures.

I also think some of the writer's alternatives have merit.  It is our duty to become as educated as we possibly can about what is happening in our town so that we can make informed decisions at town meeting. 

Changing the form of town government or retaining our current form is perhaps the single most important decision we will make as taxpayers and citizens of this town. Please be sure you understand everything about this issue before you vote on Article 25 at town meeting. See you there!!

#2 2010-05-02 15:44:35

Good afternoon,

having given the minority report a quick (and I mean quick) read, here are some comments on the four recommendations at the end of the report.

Numbers 2 thru 4 make sense. In particular, i would point to the the fourth item. Decades ago, I worked in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Fairfax County. An intern assigned to me described the requirements for high school graduation in Virginia. In addition to one year of US history, students were required to take a one year course in the history & government of Virginia. Virginia, of course, has a rich history, of which every Virginian should have keen awareness. Their local government is at the County level, for the most part, with exceptions such as Alexandria, Arlington, Richmond, etc. It puzzles me to this day that we in massachusetts do not have a similar educational requirement, both in terms of our incredible history, as well as the nature of our local government.

On the other hand, Item Number 1 is a bummer. It is a throwback to a time of smaller Towns and different needs. Many have complained, and rightly so, about the BoS "micromanaging" the Town. The proposal for a 3-member, full-time BoS will not work as we go into the second decade of the 21st century. Forget micromanaging, do you really want the BoS (or any individual member thereof) deciding who does or does not get a building permit? who has to pay a fine for parking in the handicapped zone? and so on....

And, among the three blind mice, who has what power and what responsibility? Who decides? Not only that, but wouldn't the fact that it is a "full-time" position severely limit the potential applicant pool?

The existing charter calls for a BoS to set policy, standards and goals, as it were. And further, it calls for an educated, experienced PROFESSIONAL (i.e. the Town Administrator) to implement same. Problems with the town administrators are a result of the TAs trying to work within this construct, while some BoS members drive towards the micromanagement thing. Ergo, conflict.

Again, it seems that a serious look at creating a representative Town Meeting set-up may be in order. Quorums? -should be history. Special interests  or "packing"? - mostly contained. Expensive elections (of TM reps)? shouldn't be an issue.

One concept in the minority report is easy to connect with: Perfection does NOT exist.

Weigh in here. This is a topic that needs debate.

Last edited by notalawyer (2010-05-02 15:54:41)

#3 2010-05-02 16:42:37

And another thing....

Cost. three full-time elected individuals in place of one full-time professional.

Price it low, perhaps. A fellow for whom I worked in the formative years was fond of the following mantra: "ya pay peanuts, ya get monkeys!". No further comment needed.

Price it high? Then, you dispense with the professional person hired to implement the BoS's policies, and pay the amateurs well in excess of their true worth.

Instead of one retirement/health benefit situation, there is now a three-spot. Do not think that you can get people to work "full-time" without those. Right Mr. Gay? Still got that 99/1 deal going on in the Onset Fire district?

this idea is a loser. period.

#4 2010-05-02 16:53:55

when wareham had a 3 member board shangla got devlope with cess pools in the road , it did not work and thats why we went to a 5 man bard of selectman and a strong ta we did not trust the 3 man board.

#5 2010-05-03 07:03:46

THIS IS THE ONLY THING ROBERT CAN CONCENTRATE ON, ACTUAL POST FROM CHAT:

By: robertslager on 5/2/10
Oh, and Bruce, I wanted to dedicate this to you:

My love,
There's only you in my life
The only thing that's bright

My first love,
You're every breath that I take
You're every step I make

And I
(I-I-I-I-I)
I want to share
All my love with you
No one else will do...

And your eyes
Your eyes, your eyes
They tell me how much you care
Ooh yes, you will always be
My endless love

Two hearts,
Two hearts that beat as one
Our lives have just begun

Forever
(Ohhhhhh)
I'll hold you close in my arms
I can't resist your charms

And love
Oh, love
I'll be a fool
For you,
I'm sure
You know I don't mind
Oh, you know I don't mind

'Cause you,
You mean the world to me
Oh
I know
I know
I've found in you
My endless love

Oooh-woow
Boom, boom
Boom, boom, boom, boom, booom
Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom

Oooh, and love
Oh, love
I'll be that fool
For you,
I'm sure
You know I don't mind
Oh you know-
I don't mind

And, YES
You'll be the only one
'Cause NO one can deny
This love I have inside
And I'll give it all to you
My love
My love, my love
My endless love

By: rsauvageau on 5/2/10

Oh great Robert. Now my wife won't let me blogg here any more. (but I feel the same way).

#6 2010-05-03 08:08:54

What a dandy!

#7 2010-05-03 08:52:02

They'll try and tell us that the costs will be the same (or less) for a Mayoral government..don't believe it..they have to say that..and once they get what they want..we'll have to deal with it..Also, talking about alternatives to what they're proposing is useless (at this time)..there may be a number of good alternatives..they were never interested in hearing any of them, or making any "adjustments" to our current Charter..This CRC have wasted an opportunity that comes once a decade..We all should be pissed off about that...Vote NO on 25.

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#8 2010-05-03 09:14:28

IHATESLAGER wrote:

THIS IS THE ONLY THING ROBERT CAN CONCENTRATE ON, ACTUAL POST FROM CHAT:

By: robertslager on 5/2/10
Oh, and Bruce, I wanted to dedicate this to you:

By: rsauvageau on 5/2/10

Oh great Robert. Now my wife won't let me blogg here any more. (but I feel the same way).

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-05-03 09:15:24)

#9 2010-05-03 10:51:53

You can resolve this issue very easily. Put a BINDING question on the next election ballot that reads, "Do you want to change the form of government  of Wareham from a Selectmen/ Open Town Meeting to a Mayor/ City Council?" Yes or no...real simple...should end it.
The votes to change the form of government will be less that the former Chairman received in votes last election.
Put up or shut up!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com