#1 2010-04-30 13:57:44

I have sworn off reading the rag but someone sent me Sweet Brucey’s latest rant on why Town Meeting should vote for Westfield. I always thought Brucey was a jerk I really didn’t think he was stupid. Maybe as a prerequisite for writing a column for Bobo you have to have all of your brains and common sense sucked out. According to Brucey;

“Maintaining those homes is proving to be a substantial challenge to our seniors, 3,100 of which are over age 65 and living below the poverty level of $14,500 per year.”

I know you are probably tired of me posting the correct statistics but one more time for the peanut gallery

16.2 percent of the population (3,290) in the community was 65 years and over, compared to 12.40% nationally

13.5% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.

According to Brucey almost our entire population of seniors are living below the poverty level. I hope he repeats these numbers at town meeting so that everyone at town meeting and watching on TV can  see how stupid he is, now that all of his brains have been sucked out.

#2 2010-04-30 14:15:09

just assuming that Bruce's numbers are correct that would be 444 people. Not all live alone so how many households is that. Of that how many are already living in public housing and how many are in nursing homes. That information would show the real need. This site has never said there was not a need for affordable housing just not where he wants it. All the need in the world does not make Westfield work.

#3 2010-04-30 14:18:46

Beyond that, I found his concern that there are few apartments available for less than $500 per month to be silly.

Wareham may not be Weston...but it's not Appalachia either.

#4 2010-04-30 19:46:24

Kinsailman the 16% is my stat. You are correct it is about 444. Brucey's quote is the 3100 seniors living in poverty. Sorry I should have put his quote in bold so people wouldn't get confused. I'm not sure but I think some of those seniors are living with relatives and their only income ( the seniors) is social security. They may only show social security as their income but they are being supported by their families. You make a good point about the nursing homes. Say the number is really half, 222 is a number that can be helped if someone would concentrate on them. Make sure they are receiving food stamps help with fuel etc. You know the things the COA should be helping them with so they can survive. Maybe the COA and Ceda could look for grants that would help people fix up their houses so they could stay in their homes. Oh that's right Marcia has no clue how to write a grant.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com