#1 2010-04-13 03:10:30

he  works about 22 hours a week  and makes about 2200 dollars  a week  or about 115 k  a year working part time  eack week  or 2 days a week  and gets a police car and gas allowance.     the police cars were put on credit we are paying interest on the police cars of about 225 k over the life time of  the car lease and about double for the cars , the lease is for 3  years.

#2 2010-04-13 14:09:14

IHL - I don't know where you got the info about the Chief's pay but I, and others, have been asking this question since he was hired.  How on earth did they come up with this figure for a P.T. chief?  He is not worth $100.oo per hour.  This shows just how bad our TA and BOS are.  We are in a financial crunch, letting people go, mandatory furlough days, cuts in budgets, HUGE ATTORNEY FEES and their ridiculous audit costs and these were BEFORE TOMMY JOYCE LEFT.   Knowing how bad our finances are in Wareham - WAY before hiring Stanley and they offer him $100 an hour, starting when he leaves N. Andover?  Hello - of course he took the job!  Add that to his pay as chief in North Andover and  he must be living the high life.

The cars - ? - I don't even want to talk about them anymore.

#3 2010-04-14 13:22:33

TBL

ihateliz, I'm not sure about his pay but your numbers for the new cars seems to be way off. 225k for interest? That can't be. Those cars actually are a little less expensive than the Fords and they are a more modern design. One thing that has not been talked about is that they save gas and taxpayer money by shutting down to only four cyclinders while idiling, such as at a car accident scenes and during low speed patrollng through neighborhoods.

#4 2010-04-14 13:37:02

I'd heard he makes $78/hr..also, good point on the cars TBL (thanks for the info)..

I think it was two weeks ago, during a power point presentation by Sanguinet/Andrews..there was a slide that showed the cost of the (8) new cruiser's (and SUV)..I think the total cost was (approx) 350K...with a grant (this year) "paying" about 90 or 100K...there's an article in the upcoming warrant "asking" for about 90K? to pay toward them..looks like taxpayer's will be on the hook in the next two year's for the difference (approx 250K total to "us")

TBW
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-14 13:37:50)

#5 2010-04-14 15:13:39

TBL wrote:

ihateliz, I'm not sure about his pay but your numbers for the new cars seems to be way off. 225k for interest? That can't be. Those cars actually are a little less expensive than the Fords and they are a more modern design. One thing that has not been talked about is that they save gas and taxpayer money by shutting down to only four cyclinders while idiling, such as at a car accident scenes and during low speed patrollng through neighborhoods.

Ford puts out a vehicle that also shuts down to 4 cylinders while idling that is made for use as a police cruiser.  I don't know the cost, but I was told it was for less money than we paid. I didn't research this info.

#6 2010-04-14 15:47:31

Follow the money.
Where were the cruisers purchased?

#7 2010-04-14 16:06:59

danoconnell wrote:

Follow the money.
Where were the cruisers purchased?

Dan, when I first heard of this deal, we were told Florida, but actually it's a lease company that leases or sells to municipalities. I think it's in the area around Boston - pick a town.   I just don't like the fact that Tommy Joyce had to go before town meeting and was voted down getting new cars but this yo-yo can skip town meeting and purchase/lease 9 vehicles, whenever!  That's our money.

#8 2010-04-14 19:52:51

TBL

Almost every city and town in the state gets their cruisers from MHQ in Marlboro. They specialize in fleet sales to municipal and state government.

#9 2010-04-14 22:52:54

TBL wrote:

Almost every city and town in the state gets their cruisers from MHQ in Marlboro. They specialize in fleet sales to municipal and state government.

Yes, I think that's the town.  Dan - are you reading this?  Thanks, TBL.

#10 2010-04-15 08:07:28

The dealership will not release any information to the public regarding the sale. Someone has to request a copy of the sale and agreement(lease and agreement), the residual value, limits on mileage, closed or open end lease, etc.,etc.,etc.
This is coming up at Town Meeting. It is well worth the knowledge for all to have before attending.
A public records request should work, however, one would hope that at least the Fin. Comm. has the figures and contracts.
If not, I am sure they will have them prior to Town Meeting or it would be difficult at best to offer an opinion to the public.

#11 2010-04-15 08:21:37

I just had a question asked of me from the baglady on Wareham Week.
I am tired of answering anyone on that site. This is my site...I feel more comfortable being associated with the people on this site than anyone else in Town.
She asked why I care about what is happening in Wareham. The benefit of being on this site is that everyone who knows me understands that I love Onset and Wareham and always will.
It is because of this technology that people like me are able to express our opinions. I don't expect anyone to take my opinions to heart unless they feel I have something to offer.
I am born, raised, educated and served the Town of Wareham for 34 years. I paid my dues.
Why do I not want Stanley as full time Chief?
I don't think the Town of Wareham needs someone recycled through the system that is retiring from another community.
Wareham needs a young Chief that is a street cop and an administrator. Wareham should call for a Civil Service exam for Chief, whittle the candidates down to the final three(hopefully one of the Wareham cops are on the list) and hire a qualified Chief that is willing to move into the Town within a year, get the department up and running with long term plans, and be young enough to serve the Town for the next twenty years.
I think the problem with a lot of people on the "other side" is that they don't have a long term vision for the Town. They think about next month and not 20 or 30 years down the road.
I don't believe you should be hiring retirees for a job that requires unlimited energy, foresight, knowledge and commitment.
I don't see that with the P.T. Chief.
I also know how many people feel abut him in Onset and it isn't a good situation to have tension in any part of the community.
You just had an election that the voters demanded a fresh start. Hiring Stanley is not a fresh start.
I will never again apologize for writing on this site or giving my "two cents worth".
The only time I will stop writing is when the good folks of this site ask me to, or Bill sends me a PM and tells me to get lost.
(Which he is liable to do. He's still mad at me about some green apples).
I hope I have sufficiently explained my self to all of you...I don't care about "them"
Hope to see you soon...

#12 2010-04-15 09:21:25

This is a copy of a post I made on Wareham Week (under the thread Dan refers to..above).

PSPAN wrote:

Ellen (and other's) give it a break...Dan has every right to voice his opinions, and he's done much more in, and for, Wareham, than any of you. No problem (for you) being led around by the nose by Mr. Slager, who lives in Halifax, has no office in Wareham, and probably never heard of Wareham before..hmmm, I don't know..let's say 1999..Since you have no problem jumping to conclusion's based on "un-named sources" from the "Halifax Hack"..let me share something I received from someone "in the know":

"Just to let everyone know. 11 officers voted against the chief and the others that voted for him where in a room all together and pressured to vote yes.  If they would have had a private ballot box he would not have even got half the men.  The ones that showed up at town hall all are either on the promotional list or have been given special assignments, dogs, or promised positions in the future.  The union president who spoke who happens to have his captains license has already been asked to take over as harbor master.  This is the same officer who was fired and received a 6 month suspension from civil service on appeal for stealing and setting up another officer of the crime a few years back."

Believe it, don't believe it..who cares? You've shown a pattern of not being willing to accept the truth, and only "seeing what you want to see"

...See ya at TM (I will post a copy of this post on the "REAL" Observer website).

Edit..to add...I DO NOT have first hand knowledge to substantiate the claims made in the quote above..but reason to believe the source is "reliable"..I make NO judgement of the officer's who attended last Tuesday's BoS Mtg. in support of iChief Stanley..if they support him, that's their choice..I only wish to show that (contrary to "reports") not everyone in town is ready to name ALL of Wareham's "recent" hires as the "second coming"..PS

April 26, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-15 09:51:20)

#13 2010-04-15 09:39:28

Thanks P-Span....says it all!!

#14 2010-04-15 09:49:37

danoconnell wrote:

I am born, raised, educated and served the Town of Wareham for 34 years. I paid my dues.
Why do I not want Stanley as full time Chief?
I don't think the Town of Wareham needs someone recycled through the system that is retiring from another community.

I hadn't set foot in the Lobster Pot in 40 years, until last week. It was kid-glutton heaven, back in the day, the rare treat of a neighborly waitress and whole belly clams. Now look at it; surly staff, plastic booths, a take out menu instead of table service and the worst crime, sand in the steamers. Ain't the same place at all, Biff.

One thing about this place hasn't changed is its need for a police chief who understands the place and its residents. Wareham should have a top cop who rose through the ranks, who can get from point A to point B without a map, and without a Donahue bed & breakfast sleep over. This is a resort, not a Lawrence suburb.

#15 2010-04-15 09:58:14

I don't know if the sleep over has been verified, but I do know it would be an ethics violation.  Just saying.

#16 2010-04-15 10:25:53

Thanks Bill.

#17 2010-04-15 11:10:53

Ellen, how do you not know any of this? I thought you were in the loop?

#18 2010-04-15 15:42:05

P-SPAN,   I don't know where you got your information but I think the amount of votes for or against the chief could be very close.  I was telling someone yesterday (affilliated with the WPD) that I was told if we vote no at TM for the cruisers the amount for the annual payment would have to come out of the budget and if that happens, some officers would probably be let go.  The reply was that no one could be cut because you let go the least experienced or last hired, however they worded it.  But, Joey Cardoza (a fine young man) will be handling a dog, and possibly the other last hiree, the same.  With this being said, the two men above would already have been assigned to this and cannot be cut.  Apparently the union will not allow the next man at the bottom of the seniority line to be cut unless the other two go with him.  Sounds like Mario knew what he was doing.  What a game player.

About Steve Kearny,  I don't think too much needs to be said about the golf clubs that were found on patrol.  There proved to be another officer who was involved and tried to set up Kearny.  That is over, the other officer retired recently.  When Kearny came back to work only a few officers would speak to him and now they are playing him again by voting him in as union president.  I like Steve. 

I can't see Kearny as the Harbormaster because he has his own personal boat and he can't put it in the water.  His doctor told him that after his neck surgery, the plate and pins could work loose and paralyze him if he goes out on the water and gets bounced around.  I guess the chief hasn't seen how the harbormaster's boat hits those waves when they are going out of the harbor on an emergency.

#19 2010-04-15 16:13:02

The Town Charter at Article 6-1 through 6-5 clearly states that Town departments may only be reorganized, consolidated, abolished, created, merged or divided with the approval of Town Meeting:

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … HARTER.htm

The Harbormaster and EMS departments are listed by the Town on the Town website as Town departments:

http://www.wareham.ma.us/Public_Documen … epartments

Accordingly, any attempt by the selectmen or the Town Administrator to eliminate these departments or to reorganize them under the auspices of a "super" Public Safety Department without the approval of Town Meeting would plainly violate the Town Charter, and could be challenged in court by either ten taxpayers of the Town or the department heads whose jobs were eliminated.

Last edited by Petethemeat (2010-04-15 16:13:49)

#20 2010-04-15 16:22:29

We need to start looking at town government essentially the same way as we do the federal government.  We may not have our own town judicial branch to play referee in disputes between the executive and legislative branches (the state courts serve that function), but Town Meeting is our "Congress" and the Selectmen/Town Administrator jointly fulfill the job of Chief Executive.

Just as Obama could not abolish the EPA or the Department of State on his own without the approval of Congress, neither can the Selectmen/Town Adminstrator usurp Town Meeting's authority to create, modify or eliminate Town departments.  Those who would attempt to pull such a stunt on their own need to be confronted with the clear separation of powers delineated in our Town Charter until they stop thinking they can pull such nonsense without Town Meeting's consent and get away with it.

Last edited by Petethemeat (2010-04-15 16:24:02)

#21 2010-04-15 17:54:17

Very well said, Pete....

#22 2010-04-15 18:36:01

Thanks, Pete - informative and calmed me down a lot!

#23 2010-04-15 18:49:51

Hello

#24 2010-04-15 19:39:40

Okay, Paul - give us your views.    On the cars, not being approved at TM, about the Vote of Confidence from the police union towards the chief, about the proposed Combined Safety Office or whatever they are calling it.  About his unconfirmed sleep-overs at the Donahues.  Our P.T. Chief's salary now and proposed for his full time chief's job.

Now, remember - you may get blasted like Dan because you don't live in town or vote in town and according to "some" people they may wonder why you are concerned about what takes place in Wareham.

#25 2010-04-16 18:37:15

I think that you all feel that because Stanley got along with the BOS he is not his own man. Nothing is further from the truth. As far as the other issues I think you should stop listening to the cry babies and talk to the Chief. You maybe shocked that he is his own man and his managerial skills are top notch.  And if you believe the rumor about his demeanor at  the Motel one has to consider the pill popper it came from.

#26 2010-04-16 21:55:03

I asked for your opinion and I got it.  Stanley got along with the board of selectmen because THEY wanted him, anyone but Joyce or Wallace.  They welcomed him with open arms and gave him our police department.  He didn't have to try to get along with the BOS - they were open to him and anything he wanted.  I hear now that he isn't happy with the budget constraints coming down the pike from the BOS and TA.  Is any department?

He may be his own man and by listening to him - quite a bit arrogant.  I'm not sure what managerial skills he has really shown.  A few changes.  Bringing some of the not so great cops tight to his waist isn't a wise move.

I heard about the motel from two cops.  Two good cops.

#27 2010-04-17 11:43:22

I' m am sure over the years you have formulated an opinion of who is good and who you feel is not.
I am sure you are not bias based upon your  working relationship. We all hope to be elevated to a different rank. but this should be shown by our past actions.  Oh by the way, the woman from the Motel along with officers there at the scene had a different view, in my opinion your two good cops are full of crap. Quote from me " when cops take sides and get involve  in the political culture, payback is a bitch."

#28 2010-04-18 01:53:37

Paul, of course I've formed my own opinion on just about anything going on in the world, haven't you, hasn't nearly everyone?  As far as who is good or not good is based on how I am treated by someone and facts known by me to be true from witnessing something myself or from only extremely reliable sources.  I may listen to the rumor mill along with others, but I need truthful information before I repeat anything. There are some people that treat me with respect but for some reason, that I can't explain (intuition maybe), I can't warm up to them or maybe even trust them.  You, I believe, are referring to police officers.  I might have one or two favorites that I have known on a personal level from many years ago, before they were police officers.  The rest of the officers are good, in my opinion, with the exception of two.  I have seen them in action as private citizens and as police officers.  They are not good people - period!  You can always find a rotten apple in the bunch.

I'm not sure what you mean about my "working relationship".  I assume you are meaning police officers being promoted, etc.  I have no problem with what I have heard about the new detectives or training officers.  I think they have earned these positions.  I think you are referring to the two cops that I said "the chief has brought tight to his waist".  I don't believe they have been promoted or reassigned in any way, but I'm not positive of that.  They are two rotten apples though, and I know that for a FACT.

By the way, those two cops that spoke to me separately are very good cops and not full of "crap".  I didn't approach them for this information either.  It really bothered them and I believe them.  These officers were not taking sides and in no way want to be involved in this dirt.  They never even mentioned any officer's names.  There won't be any payback for them.  However, the smell of those rotten apples is permeating through town.

#29 2010-04-22 20:39:30

Maybe someone could answer this question, I just read the civil service process and some of the communities have a residencial preference and wareham is one of those communities.  Is this a requirement for all town positions that would be selected through this process?

#30 2010-04-22 23:57:32

What, besides police are under civil service.  When I was in high school, oh - about a hundred years ago - you could take the civil service test to get a job in town hall.  I am assuming clerical, but I don't know for sure, but I am sure that you had to take that test to work there.

#31 2010-04-23 00:26:32

wareham pride wrote:

Maybe someone could answer this question, I just read the civil service process and some of the communities have a residencial preference and wareham is one of those communities.  Is this a requirement for all town positions that would be selected through this process?

Someone told me if he's hired he'd have to live within 15 miles, under civil service.

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#32 2010-04-23 01:40:23

Brian Messenger wrote:

Stanley, 54, has agreed, in principle, with Wareham Town Administrator and former Lawrence Finance Director Mark Andrews to become Wareham's full-time police chief.

But with annual town meetings in Wareham and North Andover just weeks away, Stanley said both he and Andrews have been too busy to begin in-depth contract negotiations.

"I'm sure once we get through these important (events) that I'll be able to sit down and speak with the town administrator," said Stanley when he was asked about contract talks.

"We're in the negotiation stages," said Andrews. "I feel confident we'll be able to come to some general agreement and hopefully secure his services."

...North Andover selectmen must approve Stanley's transfer to Wareham.

Eagle-Tribune: Wareham police endorse Stanley for chief job

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-23 01:41:23)

#33 2010-04-23 02:20:31

I don't like the "transfer to Wareham" part.  It should be resigned or retired from Andover and taking a new position in Wareham.  We are getting stuck with his retirement pay and benifits.

#34 2010-04-23 07:04:05

What about his alleged racist comment, that was witnessed by more than one person, of the chief calling a suspect the "N" word??  Witnesses also claim they saw the woman paraded naked.

Is this being investigated or is it being swept under the rug (called town meeting??!!).  Until that issue is resolved, why are we in "negotiations"???

Remember, the BoS rescinded the job to the lawyer/library director for having his law license suspended years ago.  The motel incident with the chief just occurred.(Never mind his past incidents that occurred--see newspaper articles) Hopefully, a full investigation is ongoing and we will learn the results BEFORE an offer is made for a full time position in Wareham.

He may have brought some good changes to the department, but a racist is a racist. Wareham is a diverse town with a significant minority population. If the chief is already biased against this population, it won't be good. If I was a member of the minority population in town, I'd be even more upset.

Again, until the truth is revealed about the incident (transparency??), offers should not be made, in my opinion.

Last edited by Nora Bicki (2010-04-23 07:08:54)

#35 2010-04-23 16:03:55

TBL

Nora, I think you are giving too much credability to that accusation. Consider the criminal element that preys on this town. They are not looking for justice, they are looking for a pay day. The chief is not a racist. Any false allegation of racism can be very damaging to a police officer's career, even when it is unfounded. Don't believe it for a second.

#36 2010-04-24 02:20:55

Bottom line, needs to be an investigated fully to be fair to all involved. I hear the witness is demanding he and the Chief each take a lie detector test. That would probably solve it real fast.  Also people who have been disciplined for racial comments should probably not be giving out advise and opinions on the subject.

#37 2010-04-24 07:42:53

Really? An allegation without any "tangible" evidence? Why not call in the Inspector General? Not one whit of evidence against the library embezzlement/money laundering..... and yet a full investigation is ongoing.  People should be screaming about this potential racist remark. How is it any different--oh right, in this case at least two witnesses have come forward. In the library case, the supposed witnesses won't come forward and the supposed "evidence" is missing. Yet the investigation was demanded by the BoS and you know who.

All I'm saying is that more than one witness has claimed they heard the remark. Before we offer the person the job, the allegations need to be fully investigated. Tesno is right.

Fair is fair. All I'm saying is that if we give "credibility" to one "accusation" in town, we need to give credibility to them all. Investigate, find evidence and proof, and go from there.

Also, I agree with TBL about false allegations of racism being "very damaging to a police officer's career."  Brucie's "false allegation of racism" against one of our own officers which has led to litigation is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Our previous BoS were so concerned about the possibility of having racism in our police department ("your first mistake is that you are black") that when the acting chief is accused of the very same thing, you would think there would be a hue and cry to investigate. If the BoS don't want any racist officers, they certainly shouldn't want a racist chief.

I stand by my statement. Unless we know the truth about the "accusation" we should not be offering a job to anyone.

I am one of those people who demand proof and evidence before I make a judgment.

#38 2010-04-24 11:53:10

Cyrus Moulton wrote:

In 2003, Brett Godette, a black student at Merrimack College, accused two North Andover detectives, a lieutenant, and Stanley of racial discrimination after the Police Department arrested him for a bank robbery.  A car at the robbery scene was traced to the college, and a Merrimack College Police Services Officer informed police that Godette was wearing clothes similar to those worn by the robber.  Once his alibi was verified, Godette was released. The discrimination charges were dismissed by a federal judge.

Stanley is also one of 36 defendants in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed on Jan. 26 by the family of a Worcester man who was allegedly beaten to death at a routine sobriety checkpoint on Nov. 25, 2009, in North Andover.  An investigation is ongoing by the District Attorney.

WW: Chief Stanley has had brushes with the law in North Andover

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

#39 2010-04-24 14:21:18

THE PERSONEL PLAN SAYS THE TOP  STEP FOR THE POLICE CHIEF IS 95 K  ,WE CANT PAY HIM ANY MORE THAN THAT UNLESS THE PESONELL PLAN IS RESTUDIED AND CHANGED ,  AS IT STANDS NOW STANLEY SHOULD NOT GET MORE THAN 95K

#40 2010-04-24 14:53:59

TBL…. suppose Stanley didn’t use the “n” word. Are you at all concerned about the accusation that this woman was paraded nude in front of everyone. Does the police station have surveillance cameras outside or camera’s inside? If they have cameras it would be easy to find out if this woman was allowed to put on some clothes before they arrested her.

Good point about the personel plan liz. I think we should all make of copy of ihateliz's post and email it to ALL the selectman and the TA.

#41 2010-04-24 21:41:55

THE POLICE CARS SHOULD BE ONLY VOTED  FOR AT TOWN MEETING IF THERE IS AN OFF SET, AND I SUGGEST THAT OFF SET BE THE ELIMATION OF SANGUINETS JOB,   SANGUINETS  JOB FOR THE POLICE CAR PAYMENTS. WE HAVE NEVER HAD AN ASST TA . AND HIS SALERY WOULD PAY FOR THE POLICE CARS .

#42 2010-04-25 00:53:03

I agree, ihl.  Sanguinet's job should have ended the day Andrews started working for the town.  I don't have a problem with him staying on for two weeks as a consultant, at a lower rate of pay to make a smooth transition for the new TA.  But - his contracted or appointed job is over.  Leave already!!!

#43 2010-04-25 01:15:51

TBL

Nora, is there a double standard as to what the ragman and the veteran memebers and the recently ousted members of the BOS will make a stink about? YES!!! Do I believe the accusations? NO!!!

#44 2010-04-25 08:22:37

THEN WHY ARE THERE POLICEMAN PRESENT  AT THE ARREST THAT SAID IT DID HAPPEN AND WHY IS THAT  THERE ARE ALLEGATIONS THAT THE NEW  T A TRIED TO COVER THIS  UP 3 TIMES ,IF THESE ALLEGATIONS ARE TRUE THAT THE T A  TRIED TO COVER UP THESE ALLEGATIONS THEN WE NEED  TO GET RID OF THE T A   WIYHIN HIS 90 DAY TRIAL PERIOD ,

#45 2010-04-25 08:34:29

Hey, IHATELIZ..... missed you!!

#46 2010-04-25 11:59:27

TBL Where is the transparency. Serious accusations have been made about Stanley to the TA. He has been told in person, he has been told by phone, and people have emailed him. Everyone in Onset is talking about it. The least the TA could do, the very least he could do is at the next selectman’s meeting say publically that he is aware of the accusations and he is investigating or has already investigated. These are serious accusations that should be addressed publically not hidden behind closed doors.

Last edited by marny (2010-04-25 13:13:22)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com