#2 2010-04-22 17:25:34

That's just ducky.

Anyone else wonder what kind of state level suction Jane Donahue expects in return for these basket case hires?

Last edited by billw (2010-04-22 17:33:07)

#4 2010-04-22 23:20:14

acasualobserver wrote:

Looks like the position was listed on hotjobs: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … clnk&gl=us

Wareham seeks Director of Inspectional Services. Salary $51,491.
Administrative, supervisory, & inspection work related to enforcement & interpretation of state bldg code, local zoning ordinance, ADA & other applicable regulations and related work, & departmental operations (building, electrical, plumbing, gas, weights and measures, zoning enforcement). HS graduate supplemented by related vocational training, plus 5 yrs exp. in the supervision of building construction or design; Bachelor's in related field & valid unrestricted construction supervisor's license desirable, or any equivalent combination of education & experience. Must have or obtain w/in 18 mos Certification as an Inspector of Buildings/Building Commissioner.
Must be willing to automate permitting process. For full job description email: administration@wareham.ma.us. Mail (Email acceptable) letter of interest and resume by 4:00 PM 03/26/2010 to Town Administrator, Memorial Town Hall,
54 Marion Road, Wareham, MA 02571. EEO/AA

Eagle-Tribune wrote:

In Wareham, Burke will earn $75,000.

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-23 02:35:40)

#5 2010-04-23 08:20:09

this guy is makeimg more than  our outgoing building inspector ,starting out on the top, and yet  he does not  have the proper licences, boy is wareham stupid , paying top dollar and yet does not have the proper licences.

#6 2010-04-23 23:25:34

I am curious to know how long he held the same position in Lawrence, and have sent inquiries there to find out.  I will report back when I learn more.

#7 2010-04-24 07:12:45

Let's face it.  What we have here is one former Lawrence city employee taking care of another who was also "relieved of his duties" with their change of the guard. 
The disservice that our new town administrator caused to our community is that he advertised the position with a salary of just under $52,K.  If the ad had offered the salary that was actually negotiated (mid to upper $70's), then we certainly would have had more than 9 applicants and most of them would have had the needed certifications.  It's the worst sample of bait'n switch because you want to control the outcome.
This administration should be ashamed.  If the position is worth $75,K+ then that's what should have been advertised or do as the local building inspector ad did and offer a salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is how actions get labeled as "an inside job".

#8 2010-04-24 07:44:38

I THOUGHT WE HAD A  PERSOONAL PLAN , IT WAS NOT FOLLOWED , WILL ALL OTHER DEPT HEADS GET A 25 K RAISE ,  THE NEW T A HAS TO BE SHOWN THE DOOR , HE DOES NOT HAVE WAREHAMS BEST INTEREST IN MIND.

#9 2010-04-24 08:25:46

IHL: I tend to agree that the new TA, while smart and most likely capable seems to have been led down the wrong path. My own son-in-law applied for that job, fully licensed, even at the low salary because he is out of work and would have happily performed the duties in this economic climate.
I hope the new BOS admonishes the new TA for appointments such as this. Perhaps when we have a new Charter Review Committee they can review situations like this. There should be a true checks and balances system in place! No appointments on election night!

#10 2010-04-24 10:00:34

PTM, this Eagle Tribune article was posted March 18, 2007, 

"Burke, who attended most council sessions, became ACTING inspectional services commissioner when Caroline Ganley resigned late last year." 

I believe it was BBrady in another post pointed as to why the required licenses were not obtained while performing these duties in Lawrence, I have to ask the same question and was he knowingly making unqualified decisions in Lawrence?

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1876 … ontroversy

Very shady that certified applicants applied for the position however the position gets filled by a former political partner.  Zoo, I hope your son-in-law looks into the situation, he was obviously stepped over to help a buddy out that is less qualified.   I also dont like the idea of our towns building inspector living in Lawrence, I would question his ability to respond reasonably to emergencies such as house fires when inspectors are requested by the Fire Departments and god knows our town has been pretty busy in that department.  We seem to be stuck with a town manager that wants to play mayor.

Last edited by wareham pride (2010-04-24 15:16:47)

#11 2010-04-24 12:14:31

Linked are two pages.  One has the last approved grades and steps, and the other has the positions that correlate to the grades.

grade 10 is Burke and his highest step within the grades is supposed to max at $70,445, yet he was hired at $75,000

grade 12 is CEDA director which is supposed to max out at $82,167, and Chris Reilly started at $85,000

grade 14 is police chief whose base is supposed to max at $95,840, yet we hear Stanley will be at $150,000

All this in financially tough times?

Personnel Plan

May 3, 2010
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
P-SPAN

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-04-24 18:41:21)

#12 2010-04-24 14:16:56

THOSE IN OUR PAST GOV. DONT BELEAVE IN THE RULE OF LAW , THEY DONT FOLLOW THE PERSONAL PLAN , BUY POLICE CARS WITH OUT TOWN MEETING APPROVAL,HAVE SECRET MEETINGS , THOSEWHO HAVE BEEN HIRED IN THE ELECTION NITE SCANDEL AND DONT HAVE THE PROPPER QUALIFATIONS NEED TO GO  AND SO DOES  THE TOWN TA ,VOTE DOWN THE MAYOR FORM OF GOV. , THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE HAVE A MAYOR FORM OF GOV.

#13 2010-04-24 15:36:27

IHL, at the last BOS meeting Ellen Begley questioned the funds used to purchase the two new school busses and wanted the investigate that account.  Why isn't she questioning the process used to purchase the police cars?   Ive been to many town meetings where vehicles and other large purchases needed town meeting approval prior to purchase.  I would think if another department in town made such a large purchase like this, without town approved funds the department manager would be fired on the spot.

#14 2010-04-24 23:34:32

Thanks, Wareham Pride.  The following is especially interesting:

"Burke, who attended most council sessions, became ACTING inspectional services commissioner when Caroline Ganley resigned late last year."

"Acting" sounds similar to "conditional" to me.  But in any event, it sounds like late 2006 is the operative date for him becoming a building official in Lawrence, regardless of weasel words like "Acting." 

It appears that if he served as a building official - whether "Acting" or not - in Lawrence for three years without obtaining the proper certification or obtaining extensions from the state Dept. of Public Safety, then a) he lingered in that post for about a year and a half after he should have been removed, and b) under state law and the Massachusetts Building Code, he should not have been hired to do the job here and his hiring could potentially be overturned by the state.

That said, we still don't have all the facts about him, and so at this point I'm just speculating.

#15 2010-04-25 08:05:57

I SAY THE NEW MEMBERS OF THE BOARD  OF SELECTMAN SHOULD CALL FOR A PRIVATE INVESTIGATION INTO THE CONDITIONS OF HIS HIREING AND IN 90 DAYS TOSS THE GUY AND READVERTISE FOR THE JOB.

#16 2010-04-25 08:12:33

SO HE WAS AN ACTING BUILDING INSPECTOR IN HIS LAST  JOB  AND DID NOT GET HIS LICENCES IN 3 YEARS  AND HE WAS FIRED IN HIS LAST JOB , YET WE HIRE HIM  FOR ABOUT 25 K MORE THAN WE ADVERTISE THE JOB FOR, AND WE PASS UP APPLICANTS  WHYO HAVE THE LICENCES, SEEMS LIKE WE WERE TAKENTO THE CLEANERS  ,GET RID OF HIM WITHIN THE 90 DAYS  AND GET RID OF THE TA ALSO WITHIN THE 90 DAYS ,

#17 2010-04-25 08:36:35

I agree with you.  There are hard working and dedicated employees who are being penalized FOR doing their jobs (and that of others) who are getting shot down the shitter with threats of every direction, yet they can magically pull these dollars out of someone's ass for their "personal choice" employees!  It is quite wrong!

#18 2010-04-25 09:06:56

Here's my Sunday morning question: Where is all this money coming from?

We have not replaced the FIVE members of municipal maintenance dept. The current workers are doing the work of those five in addition to their own. A little logic will tell you that some things have to slide and others are done on the fly. (On Friday, one MM guy had three buildings to cover alone!!)  MM maintains our buildings, roads, parks etc. They can't do it as well with five fewer workers but unless these things are maintained, they will deteriorate and cost more to repair/replace. It's common sense.

The library is still down by FIVE employees (one laid off, one resigned, one retired, two part timers let go completely) and one worker reduced to part time has not had her hours returned to her full time status.  Yes we have volunteers to help out, but they are not trained in library best practices and can NOT replace trained and experienced staff. Also, we always had at least 25 and sometimes 50 volunteers so this is nothing new and different (I know since I always sent the annual appreciation party invites to these people and helped plan the party the Trustees and Friends gave for them!!!)

We need our regular workers replaced so our departments can function properly.

But we have enough money to offer more in salary to some of our new employees than the jobs are advertised for, or restricted by the personnel plan? And some of these employees lack the qualifications needed?

Where is the fiscal responsibility we have heard touted???  Where is the transparency??  Where is the demand for qualified, certified, licensed employees?  When will our departments get their staffing back to normal? 

Go to town meeting when we vote the budget. You have the right to say how your tax dollars are being spent.

Go to the BoS meeting and make your concerns heard. Citizen's participation is your time to speak out.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com