#1 2010-03-23 18:26:02

The Ham has heard some interesting gossip going around town. 

Can anyone confirm....

1) Can anyone confirm talk about town that selectmen have offered/are offering the full time police chief position to Stanley and that the salary in the discussion is as high as $150,000, a $60,000 raise over what was paid to Joyce?

2) Can anyone confirm talk about town that there will be major consolidation in town government...speculation that the Harbormaster and EMS departments will be brought under the control of the police department, a possible explanation of the speculated $60,000 raise?

3) Not to criticize anyone, but can any one man run three departments?

4)  Would this surprise anyone, since many believe the Harbormaster and EMS director are on the infamous BOS "hit list?"

I'm not confirming anything people.  I'm just asking questions based on talk about town that I've heard.  If anyone can answer these questions, please do.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-03-23 18:26:36)

#2 2010-03-23 18:38:45

I have heard the same thing about the EMS department but cannot confirm that.  With the amount of work it requires this would be a complete mistake.

#3 2010-03-23 18:57:39

I HAVE HEARD THE SAME THING, BUT IT IS NOT RUMOR , THE SELECTMAN ARE IN  TALKS WITH  STANLEY FOR THE CHIEFS JOB , THERE WILL BE A REORGINIZATION WITH EMS AND THE HABOR MASTERS DEPT COMING UNDER  THE POLICE DEPT ., MIKE PEROLA AND MR EVANS WILL BE LET GO, THE CHIEF WANTS 150K , CHIEF JOYCE WAS GETTING ABOUT 90 K ,  THE TA GETS ABOUT 110 K , HE WILL WANTA RAISE TO , THEREFORE  NO SAVINGS  TO THE TOWN BECAUSE OF  THE HIGHER SALERYS, THIS ABOUT POWER , THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THIS DONE BEFORE  THE ELECTION .   REMBER THAT EVANS AND MR PEROLA ARE WORKING DEPT HEADS.

#4 2010-03-23 19:05:17

How did Marcia G get left out?

#5 2010-03-23 20:11:04

Not to rain on their parade but as per the Home Rule Charter :

Charter wrote:

ARTICLE 6
    ADMINISTRATIVE ORGANIZATION

Section  6 - 1    Creation of Departments, Divisions, Agencies, offices, etc.

The organization of the town into operating agencies for the provision of services and
the administration of the government may be accomplished through either of the methods
provided in this article.

Section  6 - 2    By-Laws

Subject only to express prohibition in a general law, or this charter, the town meeting may, by by-law, reorganize, consolidate, abolish, create, merge, divide, alter the term of office, the manner of selection, or, if a multiple member body, the number of members, of any town agency, in whole or in part; establish such new town agencies as it deems necessary or advisable, and may prescribe the functions, powers, duties and responsibilities of any such
town agency, but excluding from this section any town agency described in article 2 or 3 of the charter.

Section  6 - 3     Administrative Code

The town administrator, after consultation with the board of selectmen, may from time to time prepare and submit to the  town meeting plans of organization or re-organization, which establish town agencies for the orderly or convenient conduct of the business of the town.
    Whenever the town administrator prepares such a plan he shall, in conjunction with the board of selectmen, hold one or more public hearings on the proposal, giving notice by publication in a local newspaper, not less than seven nor  more than fourteen days before the date the hearing is scheduled, which notice shall describe the scope of the proposal and the
time and place of the public hearing.
    A re-organization proposal may be amended or altered  prior to its submission, by warrant article, to the next town meeting held following the public hearing.  The town meeting at which the re-organization plan is submitted may vote only to approve or to disapprove of it, and may  not vote to amend or to alter it in any way.  A re- organization plan shall  become effective at the expiration of  sixty  days following the date of the town meeting at which it is submitted unless the town meeting has, within that period, voted to disapprove of it.
    Subject only to express prohibition in a general law, or this charter, a re-organization proposal submitted under this provision may re-organize, consolidate, abolish, create, merge, divide, alter the term of office or the manner of selection of officers, and, if a multiple member body, the number of members thereof, of any town agency, in whole or in part; establish new town  agencies and may prescribe the functions, powers, duties and responsibilities of any town agency, but excluding from this section any town agency described in article 2 or 3 of the charter.

Section  6 - 4    Personnel Organization Plan

The town administrator shall prepare, maintain and keep current a plan establishing the
personnel staffing requirements of each town agency, except those under the jurisdiction of the school committee.

Now last I knew, the warrant was closed and I know of NO public hearings of any re-organizational plan.
If there is such a plan, it will have to wait until fall TM.

#6 2010-03-23 20:24:44

bbrady -- like that would stop them!

#7 2010-03-23 20:42:59

spideratc wrote:

bbrady -- like that would stop them!

I know.  I thought about that as I was typing.  They rarely acknowledge the governing document so you're probably right on.

#8 2010-03-23 20:47:03

Sweet Brucey apparently did say something during OPL Candidate's night that they would soon be announcing the hire of a full time chief.

#9 2010-03-23 21:14:04

These selectmen might worry they'll run afoul of a lameduck firing freeze after they've lost at the polls but before they've oaficially vacated office. Or, the fuck knows, maybe this action is pure arrogance and they've already counted the bogus ballots they'll hand Mary Ann Silva on election day.

#10 2010-03-23 22:18:14

Mr. Brady:
In the new unapproved charter which will be shoved down the throats of every Wareham Citizen there are NO departments, only "functions". Just sayin'.

#11 2010-03-24 01:00:35

Ham, many of us have heard the rumors.  The chief had mentioned at one point that he promised the town a "new and better" police department by May.  He is very close with the Donahues and Brenda.

There was talk last summer of a Mass. Dept taking over the water ways and Mike Parola's office.  Let's see how they patrol 54 miles of coastline and boating accidents, etc.  One person can not handle three jobs at one time and give the town 100%, which we are owed.

Everything you stated I have hear rumor of except the chief's pay.  That was new to me.

April can't come soon enough.  God help Wareham.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2010-03-24 15:48:58)

#12 2010-03-24 07:28:41

WILL STANLEY GET IN A BOAT AND PATROL ARE WATERWAYS , WILL HE MONITER SHELL FISH  LICENCES ,  DOES HE KNOW HOW TO RUN A DEFIBULATOR, IF HE IS AT THE DONAHUE PARTYS ALL THE TIME HOW WILL HE HAVE THE TIME TO SAVE A DROWNING VICTEM.

#13 2010-03-24 07:37:25

WILL SOMEONE TELL 4DOGNITE (ELLEN BEGLEY) TO STOP BEING SO HATEFUL. ANYONE THAT READS HER RANTS ON THE HATESITE (WWW.THEWAREHAMOBSERVER.COM) KNOWS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. WHAT A SAD PATHETIC WOMAN.

#14 2010-03-24 07:37:43

Mr Moderator did say he worked for the Town as a Shellfish Warden, and is obviously looking for a job (see previous thread)..Could the Chief/Harbormaster/EMS Director take care of his lackey??

#15 2010-03-24 07:46:17

HE PROBALY WILL , IF HE DOES NOT GET HIS FIRST JOB THAT HE WANTS  MAYOR CURLEY,   THE PROBLEM WITH SHELL FISH WARDEN CURLEY IS THAT WHEN HE WAS AN ASSESOR HE SPENT MOST OF HIS TIME ON THE GOLF LINKS AND A 100 WATT   LITE BULB SPENT MOST OF HIS TIME BURNING BRITE IN HIS OFFICE AT NITE ON A TIMER  HARD AT  WORK.

#16 2010-03-24 07:49:07

ISNT ELLEN BEGLT THE WOMEN WHO ALONG WITH MR SCHINDER WANTED A GOOD NON HATEFUL DIALOUE IN WAREHAM , OR IS SHE A BALD FACED LIAR, SHE CAN SHOOT OFF HER MOUTH  BUT ALL OTHERS ARE TO KEEP THERES SHUT., EXCEPT ELLEN BEGLEY.

#17 2010-03-24 08:08:32

I thought her name was Baglady...I'm sorry.

#18 2010-03-24 09:08:10

If PT Chief Stanley is our new chief and he will be in charge of EMS and Harbormaster he will definately need a new Police Services Station.  The Post Office behind Wareham Crossing?  It has been talked about!

I urge everyone out there to speak to the Director of EMS and the The Harbormaster.  Ask them for a description of their job and exactly what it entails.  Each of those departments must be run by a Director for only that department and not be answerable to the Chief of Police, aka the BOS.  The Harbormaster patrols 54 miles of shoreline, ponds, lakes, brooks and the herring runs.  The state agency that the BOS wanted to take it over, would only drop through Wareham if there was a problem.  Mooring permits and water safety are paramount to the Harbormaster's office.  Will the new chief put an officer on a boat just because he knows how to operate one?  Will the police officer that operates EMS services be there because he knows how to put on a band-aid?  I can run a portable defib. - it tells you across the screen whether to use the paddles or not.

#19 2010-03-24 12:22:50

TBL

The police department taking over EMS, even if just for supervision purposes, would be a bad idea. The police only have very basic medical training and know nothing about running an ambulance service. Most people in town don't realize that only one ambulance is on duty at a time. Anyone with a police scanner knows that the ambulance is often busy on a call when another ambulance is needed for a seperate EMS call. The EMS director often responds from home at all hours of the day and night to help staff another ambulance when it is needed and this occurs very often. It would be slap in the face to demote or terminate such an experienced and dedicated medical professional.

#20 2010-03-24 15:33:12

YOU KNOW WHATS TACKY? CRITICIZING PEOPLE WHO ATTENDED A CANDIDATE RECEPTION THAT WAS PROMOTED IN THE NEWSPAPERS AS WELCOME TO ALL OF THE PUBLIC, EVERYONE IS INVITED. BOBO IS TACKY

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com