#1 2010-03-06 00:25:17

New fleet of cruisers for Wareham's new police force

By Steve Decosta
sdecosta@s-t.com
March 06, 2010 12:00 AM

WAREHAM — Town officials showed off their eight brand-new police cruisers Friday, an improvement they said symbolizes changes in the Police Department.

Flanked by the flashing blue lights of the gleaming black-and-white Dodge Chargers, marred by not even a single smudge of road salt, Town Administrator Mark Andrews said: "It's more than just these shiny new vehicles" that are changing the force; "it's the spirit and intent of the chief of police to move this department forward."

Andrews engineered the lease-purchase of the eight cruisers and an SUV, using a $107,000 Justice Assistance Grant for the initial down payment and equipment costs. He said the town is on the hook for about $240,000 in the next three years.

The new cruisers replace the town's aging fleet in one fell swoop. Andrews said any cruisers that still have life in them will be offered to other town departments.

Richard Stanley, who became interim police chief seven months ago, said: "I promised the people that, come spring, they would see a very different Police Department. This cruiser fleet is symbolic of the hard effort every man and woman of the police force has put forth.

"We've had multiple layers of change," said Stanley, who offered that he's overhauled the detective division, improved training, championed community outreach and cracked down on drug dealers and related crimes, such as car thefts and house breaks.

"We've adopted the attitude that no drug dealer is too small to be taken down," he said.

"The officers lacked tremendously in training when I got here, through no fault of their own," Stanley said.

"When I took over, we had officers who hadn't fired a weapon in three years. Liability was wide open. We fixed all that."

The chief said his current goals include "a full-court press" toward state law enforcement accreditation and certification.

Selectmen Chairman Bruce Sauvageau said, "This department has changed tremendously and for the positive. I know the Wareham community is better served by the changes we have seen."

In response to a question, Stanley ventured that department morale, low when he arrived, had improved, although, he said, "You'd have to ask them," gesturing toward officers who were filing into the new cruisers to go on patrol.

Before they could be asked, they got behind the wheels and, accompanied by selectmen and some (but not this) reporter, took the new cruisers on their inaugural patrols.

#2 2010-03-06 06:30:08

New cruisers are great, but if I remember correctly Town Meeting voted down new cruisers in the Fall of 2008 to which Brenda and Jane cheered.
I hope they both enjoyed their rides in the new cruisers, the same cruisers they worked hard to make certain never got to the officers. They were willing to let politics get in the way. Now that their political adversary is gone apparently they will do anything to help the department now.
When I was young we called that a fair weathered friend.

#3 2010-03-06 09:07:22

zoo you are rite ,they  the selectman tryed everything in there power to screw chief joyce and the police with no equipment and charges of racism.

#4 2010-03-06 09:08:01

I WONDER IF SWEET BRUCEY HAD FLASHBACKS TO WHEN HE WAS IN THE BACKSEAT OF ONE.

#5 2010-03-06 11:23:03

TBL

Zoo, you hit the nail on the head. Police cruisers have about a 3 year life span because of the severe conditions they operate in, so most police departments buy several new cars a year so they can maintain a reliable fleet. Over the last couple years the selectmen prevented the police department from making those annual vehicle purchases and that meant unreliable cruisers were kept on the road. The selectmen did everything they could to screw with the former police chief and the rank and file officers paid the price.

Give the new chief some credit though. He is a doing a good job but he knows he needs the cooperation of the selectmen to be able to protect this town. That is okay, as long as he doesn't forget who he is really dealing with and what they did to his officers before he arrived in Wareham.

Last edited by TBL (2010-03-06 11:25:04)

#6 2010-03-06 12:12:39

SO AS I HERE IT ALL THE SELECTMAN RODE IN A CRUISER ,EVERYONE RODE UP FRONT BUT BRUCE WANTED TO RIDE IN THE BACK BECAUSE HE LIKES THE VIEW, BY THE WAY DID HE HAVE HAND CUFFS ON, MAYBE  WE CAN PAINT THE CELLS AND HE WOULD VOULENTEER TO SLEEP IN A CELL AT NITE.

#7 2010-03-06 13:30:19

I really liked the way Interim Chief Stanley said, "the town is on the hook for about $240,000 in the next three years", referring to the new cruisers from a lease/purchase agreement.  Of course the officers are happy.  Anyone getting a new car is happy and the Charger seems to be the car of choice for police departments because of the speed and how it handles.  Did we need new cruisers?  Yes.  My knowledge about cruisers is that as TBL stated, they have a 3 year life span, so in three years these cars SHOULD be replaced.  Apparently the Chief felt that we needed 9 vehicles, now, and probably got them at a bargain price.  I love bargains.  But, instead of replacing three or four a year - or less - we will be needing 9 new vehicles in 3 yrs.

I just feel that his words, such as - "I promised the people that by spring they would see a very different police department" are only for show.  Shiney new cruisers do not show me a different PD.  Gun training, yes!  Extra police training, yes!  We have always shuffled around officers in the detective unit, but what does overhauling mean.  Sounds the same to me.  Championed  Community outreach?  Just what does that mean?

I am glad the moral is up at WPD.  Is Chief Stanley leaving?  Will he take over as permanent chief?  How much is his salary?  What type of package was he given when he joined the PD last summer?

Go back to my first sentence of this blog.  Why do I feel like he has just thrown us the middle finger?

#8 2010-03-06 14:46:56

WELL I HEARD FROM MANY PEOPLE THAT HE GOT THESE CARS FROM APPLYING FOR A GRANTAND WE DID NOT  PAY FOR THEM, WELL WHAT IS IT A GRANT PAYED FOR THEM OR ARE WE BUYING THEM ON TIME , I THINK THE TRUTH  IS WE GET THE CARS  NOW AND WE PAT LATER.  WE BUY THEM ON A CREDIT CARD, MY MY HOW BAD THINGS HAVE GOT IN WAREHAM.

#9 2010-03-06 15:24:53

TBL

bornofwareham wrote:

I just feel that his words, such as - "I promised the people that by spring they would see a very different police department" are only for show.  Shiney new cruisers do not show me a different PD.  Gun training, yes!  Extra police training, yes!  We have always shuffled around officers in the detective unit, but what does overhauling mean.  Sounds the same to me.  Championed  Community outreach?  Just what does that mean?

bornof, The chief has made many changes to the police department. Most of them have been for the better. What the chief obviously meant when he said people would see a very different police department is that Wareham would have better trained and equipped officers. That helps to improve morale and motivates officers to work hard because they feel supported. Although, I think some of the cop haters in town and some of the selectmen were hoping it would mean that he would get rid of whoever they did not like on the police force.

At the end of the day the police force is still made up of the same hard working police officers as before. The two big differences between then and now is that the police have a chief that is willing to fight tooth and nail to get his officers what they need. The other big difference is the selectmen like this chief so they are much more willing to work with him to accomplish his goals.

#10 2010-03-06 15:57:42

TBL wrote:

What the chief obviously meant when he said people would see a very different police department is that Wareham would have better trained and equipped officers. That helps to improve morale and motivates officers to work hard because they feel supported.

We might now genuflect to Mayor Sweet Brucie if Wareham's cops hadn't placed the interests of the town, and the laws they are sworn to uphold, ahead of their own comfort and well being. No one else had the balls.

Mind explaining why you think training and equipment purchases lagged in recent years?

Last edited by billw (2010-03-06 15:57:59)

#11 2010-03-06 16:38:41

It is very easy to understand. The BOS did everything they could to destroy the old Chief. Cut the Budget, reduced his manpower, gave his no summer officers, no cruisers, equipment and continually medaled in the day to day operation making it impossible to succeed. They have handed over the keys to the town to the new chief, he has received everything he wants and therefor able to do all the things the PD needed. This is another attempt by the board to make themselves look great and kick the old Chief in the face a few more times.    I am really disheartened by the officers that have been sucked in by this situation with the new chief. Have they sold their soles that fast to be chumming up to the selectman and taking them for rides like they are all one big happy family. Do these officers have any memory or loyalty to even each other. The thing this BOS  has done to the PD and many of it's individual officers over the last three years is horrible, evil, and vindictive. Have all the members of the police department forgotten what went on. If so that is really said. What do you think your brother oficers like Pillbury, Mike, Smith, Simmons, and so many others feel about you driving Brucie around like he is there pal.  I do feel Chief Stanley is doing a good job, but we need a chief full time. I also understand that the town needs to move forward and get past the horrible things that have been done in the last two years. The answer is new leadership not deciding to be friends and support this BOS. Because they will turn on them so fast the first time they dont agree or do not do what they command. And if any of them think that wont happen with this BOS they are out of there minds.  I just hope Chief Stanley's obvious close relationships with the board especially the Donahue's is only to better the department and he does sell out his own officers when it comes time to defend them.

#12 2010-03-06 18:38:36

I am glad the police got their new police cars. I am sure they are happy even happy enough to give Brucey a ride. However, when they get to the polls I doubt that they will forget all the nasty things Brucey has said about them over the past few years.

#13 2010-03-06 19:46:17

I AGREE   WHOLE  HARDLEY WITH TESNO 754, BUT REMBER THAT 3 POLICE OFFICERS HAVE RETIRED AND ANOTHER IN JUNE WILL RETIRE , BUT THERE ARE NO REPLACMENTS AT THE POLICE ACADEMY , AND ACCORDING TO RIP DINGLE THE CHIEF WAS REPORTED AT THE HOUSE OF A POLICTIAN , AND HE DID THE SELECTMAN BIDDING ON THE STRONG CHIEF LAW, THAT BEING SAID HE HAS DONE A GOOD JOB AND WILL DO AS LONG AS HE DOES THE SELECTMAN BIDDING, REMEMBER THERE ARE THOSE WHO WENT AGAINST THE SELECTMAN AND THEY WENT AGAINST THEM WITH A FURY OF HELL .  AS LONG AS YOU SUCK UP TO THE SELECTMAN AND DO THERE BIDDING YOU WIL BE OKAY , CROSS THEM LIKE PAULSEN DID RECENTLY AND THEY WILL BE ALL OVER YOU, GET RID OF THESE BAD SELECTMAN AND PEOPLE LIKE CHIEF STANLEY MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE TO DO GOOD BY THE TOWN , AND REMEMBER WHAT TESNO 754 SAIS  HE IS EXACTLY RIGHT.

#14 2010-03-06 19:51:14

I AGREE  WITH BILL CHIEF JOYCE HAS THE BALLS AND WENT AGAINST THE SELECTMAN BECAUSE THEY WERE WRONG AND HE BACKED HIS POLICEMAN,  IF  THE POLICEMAN HAVE A LITLLE COMFORT  WITH THE NEW CARS GOOD FOR THEM BUT REMAMBER WHAT PRICKS THESE SELECTMAN HAVE BEEN , AND REMEMBER YOUR FELLOW TOWN EMPLOYEES LIKE THOSE AT THE LABRARY AND MINCIPl maintence who are still getting screwed to the wall by these selectman. genuflect in front of them thats great. kiss there ass thats great , but try to do the rite thing and they will screw  with your mind.

Last edited by ihateliz (2010-03-06 19:53:47)

#15 2010-03-06 22:43:16

I heard through the rumor mill that Steven Cooper purchased these vehicles for the town.  Do you think there is any truth to that?

#16 2010-03-07 02:53:16

A Justice Assistance Grant of $107,000 was awarded for the down payment of a lease/purchase agreement to purchase 9 vehicles for the WPD.  Stanley, and I quote said:  The town is on the hook for the $240,000 over the next three years.  It sounds to me that he could care less where we get the money to pay off these cruisers, which will be ready for replacement in three years.  Sorry, but I see Brucie's middle finger pointed straight at us.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2010-03-07 11:21:06)

#17 2010-03-07 10:37:32

BOW, Just a correction the town manager made the statement.  I would assume the money would have to be requested at town meeting?  I think its wonderful that the officers have some upgraded equipment but I dont think the fleet would have been in such dire straits if the selectmen had allowed the original purchase back when they fought Chief Joyce at town meeting when he wanted to replace multiple cars.  I thought the town was in a deep financial hole and Im sure the financial situation is much worse than when Joyce made his request?  I have a funny feeling that this is going to be balanced on the backs of town workers like the computer fiasco and legal overruns.  Which selectman made the statement that The town should paint some of the detective cars white or rebuild existing cars?

#18 2010-03-07 11:34:53

Thank you wareham pride.  I was wrong.  I must have been thinking Andrew Stanley spoke of the quote about the town being on the hook for the balance due for the cruisers, when in fact it was Mark Andrew's statement.  But to be honest, I still feel like Brucie is pointing his middle finger at us.  Joyce couldn't get the cruisers he needed - period.  No come back and see us 6 mo. from now, it was a flat out no.  Now, we have thousands and thousands of legal bills and lawsuits  so there has to be even less funding available for ANYTHING WE NEED at this point, but we get 9 vehicles for the WPD at one sweep.  I BELIEVE WE DID NEED TO UPDATE OUR CRUISERS.

#19 2010-03-07 11:50:48

If I weren't a Ham of Peace, I'd ask what the heck is Mr. Moderator doing in the photo ops with his track jacket?  What the heck does he have to do with it?

But of course, I am a Ham of Peace.

Peace on, everyone, peace on.

Ham of Peace

#20 2010-03-07 11:59:39

TBL

tesno, I doubt anyone on the force has forgotten about the selectmen attacks on the police department and them encouraging every dirtbag in town to come forward and complain about the police. It seems that the officers at the cruiser unveiling were just being the professionals that they are by being cordial to a board of selectmen that have done nothing but attack them.

#21 2010-03-07 13:30:39

Hamatron5000 wrote:

If I weren't a Ham of Peace, I'd ask what the heck is Mr. Moderator doing in the photo ops with his track jacket?  What the heck does he have to do with it?

But of course, I am a Ham of Peace.

Peace on, everyone, peace on.

Ham of Peace

I believe it s called a "photo op", something made famous by Curly's good friend John Kerry!!..The Joe Kennedy wanna -be may have been cycling or windsurfing  like our now senior Senator..

#22 2010-03-07 17:51:12

ARE THE PHOTO OP WITH THE SELECTMAN OF THE CRUISERS AND THATB WE  WILL HAVE LIFE GUARDS AT THE BEACHS THIS SUMMER BY THE TA  THINGS TO PROMOTE THE  CANDIACY OF SWEET BRUCEY. THE TA POSITION IS TIED TO SWEET BRUCEY.   THE CARS WERE PAID ON A CREDIT CARD AND WERE DID THE MONEY COME FROM , WAS IT FROM ONLY HAVING  5 MUNCIPAL WORKERS , DONT BE FOOLED BY THESE SELECTMAN ,VOTE THEM OUT IN APRIL.

#23 2010-03-07 19:02:36

Attention all peace bloggers,

As a Ham of Peace, I will make no jokes about the photo on the rag website and how it is rare for Sweet Brucey to be riding in the FRONT seat of a police cruiser for a change.

Yes, it will be a great sacrifice to pass up such a joke opportunity, but I am nothing if not a Ham of Peace.

Peace.

#24 2010-03-07 21:27:47

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Attention all peace bloggers,

As a Ham of Peace, I will make no jokes about the photo on the rag website and how it is rare for Sweet Brucey to be riding in the FRONT seat of a police cruiser for a change.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/sweetbruciechallenge.png

Bobo The Brainless wrote:

LIVE CHAT!

Help drive the hate bloggers crazy!

Please join us for LIVE CHAT tonight beginning at 7 p.m. There's a lot to talk about as election season rages in Wareham! Please share your thought!
Cheers!

Sounds like a challenge.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by billw (2010-03-07 22:11:49)

#25 2010-03-07 21:43:31

How could this Chief ask his officers to do this, knowing dam well what has gone on. What a slap in the face to every wareham police officer.

#26 2010-03-07 21:46:41

billw wrote:

Sounds like a challenge.

It will take all of my peace powers to resist.

#27 2010-03-07 21:50:37

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/bchallenge.png

#28 2010-03-08 01:18:01

VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#29 2010-03-08 08:15:45

THATS WHERE THE THUG SHOULD HAVE BEEN

#30 2010-03-08 09:11:54

Bill, is that a cartoon of a zombie walking around looking for brains, he sees a guy with a shirt that says "Bobo is right!", the zombie stops, reads it, then moves on to look elsewhere for brains?

A cartoon like that I would normally find to be a hysterical kneeslapper but...well, of course as you all know, I am a Ham of Peace.

#31 2010-03-08 10:03:01

Ham of Peace you must be ecstatic (in the most loving and peaceful way of course) that Bobo is actually enlisting his followers to help him stir up the peaceniks. This could be looked at as something negative but if you look at it from a peaceful prospective it is indeed very positive. It means that Bobo is going crazy because we are no longer commenting on what HE says, so now he is trying to get his followers to incite a negative response.

There are certain cancer drugs that work by cutting off the blood supply to a tumor. If tumor doesn’t get fed and it dies. Once in awhile the tumor will have smaller cells break off from it but these drugs also kill the smaller cells by not feeding the smaller tumors. Our negative comments FEED Bobo and his cult. If we don’t acknowledge him he like the tumor will fade away.

Thank you Ham of Peace for showing us the way. I know I am more peaceful for no longer reading the rag or his web site. Ham of Peace as you can tell I am still having trouble letting go of the term BOBO. It gives me great pleasure and brings a smile to my face. Do I have to let go of this term to become a full fledged peacenik?

I can't believe Brucey showed up at the police station after all the negative things he has said about our policemen. I think Brucey should have been in the passenger seat when the photo was taken. The story was supposed to be about our policeman and their new cars, not Brucey sucking up for a “photo op” before election.

#32 2010-03-08 10:42:16

My peace-loving brothers and sisters...

Now that the BOS have bestowed upon the police shiney new cruisers (in an election year), perhaps now will continue their generosity by...

Settling their contract (three years expired)
Calling for Chief Civil Service test (which should have been done after TM)

We can only hope their hearts are true and not black, nor trying to use this generosity for political gain.

Peace be with you.

#33 2010-03-08 10:45:30

Marny says it all.
The look on the cop in the car's face with the Chairman says it all.
I agree...don't feed the cancer. It is obvious that without feeding it, it will go away.
Discussions are relegated to the Academy Awards.
PEACE!!!

#34 2010-03-08 10:51:59

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/boboisright.png

#35 2010-03-08 13:12:23

Peace on, my peaceful pals riding with me on the peace ship, peace on...

http://panachecyclewear.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/hand-peace-2.jpg

Ham of Peace

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-03-08 13:13:00)

#36 2010-03-08 13:31:46

Ham of Peace I think you must be thinking of the Cat Stevens song  “Peace Train” There may also be a  peace ship but I am only aware of the “Peace Train” Does your “Peace Ship go to the Bahamas? Is there gambling on board?

#37 2010-03-08 13:57:28

There's gambling Marny..but instead of money we use flower's and butterflies (live ones, of course : )
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/images/wv/030410_peaceboat.jpg
VOTE4CHANGE
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#38 2010-03-08 14:29:48

Marny, there are many means of transportation to travel with upon the journey to peace.  There are peace trains, peace planes, peace automobiles, peace taxis, peace bicycles, peace pogo sticks, or you can just take a peace walk. 

I like the peace ship myself, because it allows us to get into high stakes games of Texas Hold 'Em where everyone has to anty up all of their butterflies and flowers.  (Don't worry, if you lose, we just give you more butterflies and flowers).

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-03-08 14:30:23)

#39 2010-03-08 14:36:24

That Brucey is one stingy dude ! Whenever he gives me the "Vee" sign he uses only one finger...the middle one....But I won't complain....It's the thought that counts.

#40 2010-03-08 20:23:19

I’m sorry Ham of Peace I am not quite as evolved as you. I would rather play for money. Maybe we could attach poker chips to the butterfly wings. No that won’t work, maybe we could attach the poker chips to the flowers.

Dick have you heard anymore about the meeting with the Trustees, the Friends, Marcia and the TA? Has anyone said when it will be held? I wonder if that meeting will be a love fest?

#41 2010-03-08 20:35:03

Marny:  I think the answer is an echo of  a line from the 60's and 70's: "Suppose they had a war and nobody came?".

I'll check and get back to you through our secret Krypton Code.....

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com