#1 2010-02-15 21:37:06

The BOS posted a scheduled meeting for tomorrow night, and once again failed to post its agenda in a timely manner. Laws and due process, as you all must know, no longer matter to our elected officials.

Here's what you get when you visit the town's website:

Selectmen's Meeting

Tuesday, February 16 at 7:00 PM
48 Marion Road, Room 320
Printer-Friendly Version

Click on that, and you get nothing more than:

Selectmen's Meeting
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM
48 Marion Road, Room 320

Does our DA give a shit?

Last edited by billw (2010-02-16 09:30:14)

#2 2010-02-16 01:10:36

Apparently not.  I am sure they are sick of the word WAREHAM buy now.

#3 2010-02-16 08:05:13

The DA is feeling impotent. He needs to go to the Judge, explain how the Court has been insulted and ignored, ask for a contempt of court action against all of the members of the BOS and put someone's ass in jail for a few days so they can understand that the law is bigger than them.
Maybe then someone will get the idea and start respecting the laws that they have sworn to uphold.
Dishonorable is too kind a word for these clowns.

#4 2010-02-16 08:31:59

bornofwareham wrote:

Yeah, well, buy now, Mr. Cruz. Pay later at the polls.

#5 2010-02-16 11:03:45

I agree with the recent Standard Times editorial, and the DA needs to hold these select-clowns accountable.  Fourteen open meeting law violations (plus additional previous violations), and they were legally obligated to publicly apologize for these violations and they do not. 

They are letting their egos get in the way of the good of the town.  They're running the risk that hefty fines will be assessed against the town for failure to comply with the open meeting law.  That's something that this town can ill-afford, but they don't care because it's not their money.  Brucey doesn't care about what happens to tax dollars because he's not even a tax payer.

The DA is in a rare position - from what I have heard, town officials everywhere, throughout MA,  have always complied with the DA's demands when found to be in violation of the open meeting law. 

From what I have heard, the Plymouth County DA's office has not actually had to dole out legal punishment for not complying with the open meeting law since the 1970's - that's how rare it is for a town to have a group of clowns this bad in office.

Fourteen open meeting law violations is bad enough - not apologizing for it is just a big middle finger to the voters of this town who actually care about the open meeting law.

Hopefully the DA will be tough and hold these clowns accountable.  If fines are assessed against the town because of their actions, then the people should demand they pay them personally out of pocket.  Wareham can't afford to waste tax dollars on bruised egos.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2010-02-16 11:04:50)

#6 2010-02-16 13:46:21

It is my understanding of the open meeting law that a meeting must be posted 48 hours in advance. this excludes holidays & weekends, according to the Town clerks I have dealt with in other Towns. thus, a meeting for Tuesday evening, 2-16-10, would have to be posted by 5:00 PM on Thursday, February 11, 2010. Was it?

Now, you  all realize that the rules change on July 1, right? The DA exits the picture, to be replaced by the State's AG office. At first, my take on the change was positive. But, further reading tells me that the first step in the complaint process when one suspects violations of the open meeting law is to complain to.........THE BOARD WHICH COMMITTED THE VIOLATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. And, from there, it is a long road to the AG.

Not only that, but the fourteen county DAs will be replaced by one small group in the AG's office to supervise all 352 cities & towns (I included the soon-to-be new Town of Devens). Will this be better? worse? who knows?

It is hard to picture the local DA's office -any DA's office, for that matter-giving high priority to the open meeting law when they know they are out of the picture in a little over 4 months. Clearly, this BoS has figured out something along these lines, and couldn't give a rat's ass about the DA. Perhaps they gleaned their knowledge & drew their conclusions after a little presentation that the Town's favorite law firm is making around the State regarding the changes. Love those expensive PowerPoint workshops, don't you?

All of which makes Tuesday, April 6, 2010, soooooooo important. Throw da bums out!

FOCUS  -  FOCUS-  FOCUS

VOTE4CHANGE

APRIL 6, 2010

TAKE BACK WAREHAM

#7 2010-02-16 13:56:43

This just in...

FEBRUARY 16, 2010
TOWN of WAREHAM
Board of Selectmen/Sewer Commissioners
MEETING AGENDA
7:00 PM – Room #320 Multi-Service Center, 48 Marion Road, Wareham Massachusetts

1. CALL TO ORDER BY CHAIRMAN
2. ROLL CALL
3. ANNOUNCEMENT
4. CITIZENS PARTICIPATION
5. CONSENT AGENDA
a. Authorization to sign bills and documents, etc.
b. Approval of the board’s regular session minutes of 1/26/10 & 2/9/10
6. LICENSES & PERMITS
None.
7. TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
8. TOWN BUSINESS
a. Meeting with the Charter Review Committee to place a non-binding referendum on
the April 6 ballot.
b. Update on 361 Main Street.
c. Any town business.
9. SEWER BUSINESS
a. Any sewer business.
10. LIAISON REPORTS
11. ADJOURNMENT
12. SIGNING OF DOCUMENTS APPROVED BY THE BOARD

#8 2010-02-16 14:14:45

How interesting...a non binding referendum...seems they must be worried it won't pass.

#9 2010-02-16 14:41:18

danoconnell wrote:

How interesting...a non binding referendum...seems they must be worried it won't pass.

I don't know. That is interesting. The Charter states:

Section  7 - 1    Charter Changes

(b)    Periodic Review - The board of selectmen shall, in every year
        which ends in nine, appoint a committee to review the charter,
        said committee shall submit a report, with recommendations, to
        the first annual town meeting that ends in zero, concerning any
        proposed amendments or revisions to the charter which it 
        believes to be necessary or desirable.

I don't see anything about "non-binding referendum's" there. So, what's that three, including Westfield and the Police Chief/Civil Service Articles that were voted down in October?? Do they make up the rules as they go along?

TAKEBACKWAREHAM
VOTE4CHANGE
April 6, 2010
P-SPAN

#10 2010-02-16 16:03:25

billw wrote:

bornofwareham wrote:

Yeah, well, buy now, Mr. Cruz. Pay later at the polls.

Bill, I saw my error "buy" and you were the only one to make use of it.  You don't miss a thing.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com