#1 2010-02-10 09:43:40

Enough is enough
By Larry McDonald
For the past year, I have witnessed and been part of the constant bickering that has gripped Wareham. There were times when I wondered why bother? After last night’s Selectmen meeting, I realize why I have stayed in the fight. I watched a good man who volunteered his time to help the town, OUR town, get shot down by the partisan politicians that control the town. This man, like many of us, wants nothing more than to see Wareham earn back some of its former luster. What better way than to volunteer your time? Unfortunately, the Selectmen saw it as a threat and not as a citizen trying to help their town. To add fuel to the fire, one of the Selectmen preached lowering the rhetoric and reaching across the divide to build consensus. I can now verify that actions speak louder than words. The vote of the Selectmen was 4-0 in approval of the other candidate, and ultimately 0-4 in showing a true effort in bringing this town together.

What really brings this gesture home is that several citizens are on the wrong side of the equation. These citizens have the talent and experience to assist Wareham through their volunteer work, but they are not given the opportunity. Why? Is it fear? Only the current administration can answer that. In the meantime, talent sits on the sideline, waiting for a change in leadership. We need fair minded elected officials that put the interest of the town ahead of their own political agenda. That is how you recover from the deep abyss that Wareham currently is mired in. Open meeting violations, partisan appointments, questionable personnel decisions, and astronomical legal expenses all point to the need for new leadership. Now you can add shunning talented volunteers.

In the same vein, the bickering with a non-resident and non-voter is worthless. His predictions and commentaries are continuously proven erroneous or false. He has no shame when it comes to his support of the current elected officials. Essentially, he is the mouthpiece for the partisan politics that squeeze the life out of Wareham. We feed his ego and our words give him the opportunity to proclaim “they are attacking me”. Enough is enough.

It’s time to focus. Our focus should be on the April 6th election. Let’s ignore the little man across the water and concentrate on getting the community to vote. Educate and provide facts to the citizens of Wareham and let them make an informed decision. The opposition will post comments made and exclaim them to be evil and vile, but we need to show the facts and record under the current slate of elected officials.

The future of Wareham is at stake. That is more important than the endless dialogue with a small group of citizens who support the partisan practices of the current elected officials.

Last edited by Larry McDonald (2010-02-10 11:24:14)

#2 2010-02-10 11:25:58

Had enough Wareham?

#3 2010-02-10 11:45:08

GWB

Yes I know I have. It did not go unoticed by me that even though the BOS read into the record the letters from the DA on the open meeting violations not one of them offered an apology for thier mistakes. Thier lack of remorse would indicate to me that they have no intention of trying to change. PATHETIC. Its time for a change and April will be a good start.

#4 2010-02-10 11:54:50

Open meeting violations, partisan appointments, questionable hiring decisions, no remorse for their actions, and lack of fiscal responsibility.....do I need to go on?

had enough Wareham?

#5 2010-02-10 12:08:16

To know the whole story is even more enlightening.  First, you all should know that I've had a volunteer application on file in the BOS office for more than a year now; listing all the various boards that I'd be willing to serve on to include Planning, CEDA, BOH, etc.  It started in Dec. of 2008 when the Planning Board had a vacancy and members of the Board asked if I'd be interested.  Less than a week after I submitted my volunteer application, an appointment was made for Alan Slavin.  The Planning Board wasn't even made aware of my application.  A couple months later I did get an interview before the CEDA Board and it was voted unanimously to recommend that the BOS appoint me.  Mr. Potter was chairman at the time and the recommendation was never even acknowledged.  The vacancy went unfilled for several more months.  This past fall I was interviewed by the BOH with two other applicants for an associate member's seat following Ralph Thompson's passing (RIP).  Weeks had passed when I was invited for a second interview (Jan. 6) of the newly organized Board.  It was then voted again, unanimously, to recommend to the BOS to appoint me as an associate member.  The response to that recommendation by the BOS (or individual members as there are no minutes addressing this recommendation) was to send an application to the Board of Health for Lisa Irish to be interviewed.  Having seen her application and witnessing her interview, it is evident that she knows very little about the BOH function.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Ms. Irish.  I commend anyone for wanting to serve their community.  This is all about listening to members of our current BOS, whether at TM's or weekly meetings, "begging" citizens to serve on the number of Boards, Committees or Commissions that have had and still have vacancies.  It's really more about selectively controlling appointments to any vacancies with citizens that fit THEIR agenda.  Now I know I'm not alone.  There are many others within OUR community that either have not been  reappointed for personal vendetta reasons or not considered for appointment because we don't fit THEIR controlling criteria.  Just look at the many applicants interviewed compared to the appointments made.  Start with the Charter Review Committee.  All the appointees selected have pressed forward with THEIR proposed change to the form of government. 
They still have not "reviewed" the Charter, which is their purpose.

Last edited by bbrady (2010-02-10 14:45:52)

#6 2010-02-10 12:17:49

GWB wrote:

Yes I know I have. It did not go unoticed by me that even though the BOS read into the record the letters from the DA on the open meeting violations not one of them offered an apology for thier mistakes. Thier lack of remorse would indicate to me that they have no intention of trying to change. PATHETIC. Its time for a change and April will be a good start.

cronan thinks that just reading the letter is apology enough!!!!

#7 2010-02-10 12:21:36

Well said, Larry and Bob.
I agree...ignore the troll...he will be gone soon.
I know we all have made that promise, but we have been duped by his rhetoric and accusations, and we feel the need to respond.
I don't think so.
The only response to nonsense is: nothing.

#8 2010-02-10 13:11:03

I wish I had the money to pay for one page in the Standard-Times and the Courier.  I would have Mr. Brady's above blog printed at the top of the page and then Larry's below it. 

I am constantly amazed by the amount of people in Wareham that only know the "top layer" of Wareham's political problems.  I admit that I was one of them - to a point.  So many people would get Liz Pezzoli's paper and for the most part liked it in the beginning.  I think because she often spoke of the Old Wareham, back in the day, so to speak.  Then the badgering started.  One I remember was a particular contractor who didn't wear a shirt while driving around town.  Who cares?  Of course then it went to town departments.   When Slager came on board the paper took a turn and I for one could care less if I got one or didn't.  The senior citizens HAD to have one and read it from cover to cover.  They believe in it.  I have talked to so many seniors that had no idea what was actually going on.  I have sent them to this site and told them that they didn't have to blog, just read.  The ones without computers I talk to continuously about our "town leaders".  This is going on in only my little corner of Wareham.  People need to talk to their neighbors, co-workers (gently), family and friends to explain what is taking place. 

I do agree with Dan.  Don't reply to Slager.  Read if you want, but don't talk about it.  We all know he is unstable, along with some of his cohorts.  Don't give them anything to feed off and they will starve.  Take Back Wareham.

#9 2010-02-10 14:32:42

Thanks Bob for doing your best Paul Harvey, and telling "the rest of the story". It just reinforces my point that there are several citizens that could help bring this town some needed  knowledge and experience. Instead, we watch as people are appointed to committees and boards in an effort to further the agenda of a group of leaders who no longer want to be "unpaid volunteers". In the meantime, good citizens who want to volunteer and give back to the town are left shaking their heads.

Had enough Wareham?

#10 2010-02-10 15:14:07

I laugh everytime Bobo and the BOS say that the era before them was the "good ol boy era" and they are going to put an end to it.

HA!!!

Last edited by commonsense (2010-02-10 15:15:16)

#11 2010-02-10 16:04:16

Commonsense,
I now have a list of citizens who have either applied or actually been interviewed. Most of these citizens have vast knowledge of the charter, MGL, areas of expertise that would benefit the town, and just happen to disagree with the agenda of the "good ole boy" Selectmen. Want to guess how many have been appointed or allowed on boards or committees? ZERO.

Correct me if my memory is failing, but didn't the Selectmen beg for volunteers? Did they really mean volunteers who support their agenda of secrecy and changing the government?

Had enough Wareham?

#12 2010-02-10 16:13:56

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

#13 2010-02-10 16:24:44

I like that Had Enough Wareham? Larry.
When will the t-shirts be for sale?

#14 2010-02-10 16:35:23

Even if you don't follow Wareham politics, I have a perfect very public example that something just isn't right in this town.  Every time I head down Maple Springs Rd and see that 10 mph sign, I just chuckle.  That sign says alot about this town.  10 mph!!!  It makes absolutely no sense.  And in making no sense, it just screams "politically motivated" and "punishment".

And that 10 mph sign is quite visible by the hoards of citizens making the turn onto the Rte 25 north on-ramp.  I hope other citizens are like myself and are subconsciously thinking about the sign.  There needs to be a "Vote April 6th" sign placed under that ridiculous 10 mph sign.  Voters will make the connection.  Incumbent = ridiculous, politically motivated 10 mph sign.

#15 2010-02-10 17:14:02

I drive by that sign every single day 128. I witnessed lies coming out of a Selectmen's mouth. I saw a good man fight to keep his business going while the "good ole boy" network rolled out every possible roadblock. If you want to know how my eyes were opened, that is what made me realize there is something wrong with the leaders of this town.

Had enough Wareham?

#16 2010-02-11 08:50:28

BUMP !

bbrady wrote:

To know the whole story is even more enlightening.  First, you all should know that I've had a volunteer application on file in the BOS office for more than a year now; listing all the various boards that I'd be willing to serve on to include Planning, CEDA, BOH, etc.  It started in Dec. of 2008 when the Planning Board had a vacancy and members of the Board asked if I'd be interested.  Less than a week after I submitted my volunteer application, an appointment was made for Alan Slavin.  The Planning Board wasn't even made aware of my application.  A couple months later I did get an interview before the CEDA Board and it was voted unanimously to recommend that the BOS appoint me.  Mr. Potter was chairman at the time and the recommendation was never even acknowledged.  The vacancy went unfilled for several more months.  This past fall I was interviewed by the BOH with two other applicants for an associate member's seat following Ralph Thompson's passing (RIP).  Weeks had passed when I was invited for a second interview (Jan. 6) of the newly organized Board.  It was then voted again, unanimously, to recommend to the BOS to appoint me as an associate member.  The response to that recommendation by the BOS (or individual members as there are no minutes addressing this recommendation) was to send an application to the Board of Health for Lisa Irish to be interviewed.  Having seen her application and witnessing her interview, it is evident that she knows very little about the BOH function.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Ms. Irish.  I commend anyone for wanting to serve their community.  This is all about listening to members of our current BOS, whether at TM's or weekly meetings, "begging" citizens to serve on the number of Boards, Committees or Commissions that have had and still have vacancies.  It's really more about selectively controlling appointments to any vacancies with citizens that fit THEIR agenda.  Now I know I'm not alone.  There are many others within OUR community that either have not been  reappointed for personal vendetta reasons or not considered for appointment because we don't fit THEIR controlling criteria.  Just look at the many applicants interviewed compared to the appointments made.  Start with the Charter Review Committee.  All the appointees selected have pressed forward with THEIR proposed change to the form of government. 
They still have not "reviewed" the Charter, which is their purpose.

AND, for the record, it should also be noted that "acting" Chairman Cronan failed to include reading into the record that the BOH voted and wrote a letter of unanimous recommendation for my appointment, as did the CEDA Board.

I would like to encourage all the good citizens of Wareham to stand by until the leadership changes in April when then some reasonable minded leaders will see the real value of OUR desire to serve.

VoteApril6,2010

#17 2010-02-16 12:55:53

The Mission Statement of the Wareham Board of Health is "dedicated to the prevention of disease, prolonging life, and promoting health through organized community efforts and the promulgation and enforcement of local and state regulations. Our mission and purpose is to promote and protect public health by providing disease awareness and prevention, instituting programs and providing services to improve the general health, physical, mental, and the social well-being of the citizens in the Town of Wareham."

My application and resume state that I have committed the past 10 years of employment, service and my education toward public health and the higher education of health professionals (locally and internationally).  I am a transplant to Wareham where I chose to move and raise a family and commute four hours a day in order to do so.  What in my resume leads one to believe that I am unable to be a useful member to the BOH?  I am volunteering because I feel that Wareham can be more and should be a home to people who may only know of Wareham as a town they pass on their way to the Cape. 

Mr. Brady stated that he left public service in order to preserve his private life.  I am left wondering why he would question my application publically (in this blog) but not at the BOS where I would have readily defended myself and my application. I do hope to serve the town of Wareham without prejudice and with an open mind...as I did the day I moved to Wareham.  I just hope the excitement I felt a week ago when I was appointed returns.  Reading this blog really made me rethink my decision to serve - or should I just go back to being just a person who pays their taxes and commutes to Boston everyday so those blogging about the 'ol boy networks have something to blog about.

#18 2010-02-16 13:19:45

Ms. Irish,
I will be first to apologize if I offended you in any way. I commend you for your desire to volunteer and wish you the best. I also understand the commute as I endure it daily.

#19 2010-02-16 13:33:58

Thank you!  I guess that is what I get for "googling" myself:)  I just wanted to send something regarding my appointment to those I work with and to note an additional service component I had taken on to the College leadership and this commentary was the first thing that popped up, to my surprise.  The commute is well worth it when I pull in the drive way and feel the ocean breeze during our short summer months.

#20 2010-02-16 14:11:32

I hope Ms. Irish (lovely name, by the way), understands that Bob Brady did not direct an attack against her.
Quite the contrary, I am sure that we all agree that your appointment was an exception, not a rule.
Bob's message lists many, many positions open that he could have filled, but was denied. The one you were appointed to was just one of many.
I am sure that everyone in Wareham wishes you the best of luck and thanks you for your service.
Now that you have seen this site....why not come back a few times...or more.
You may be surprised by how eclectic yet completely sane it is.
Best wishes, Ms. Irish.

#21 2010-02-16 17:54:57

GWB

I also congratulate you on your appointment. Mr. Irish.

However you need to understand your old boy network comment is offensive and out of line. It would make me think that you have spent far to much time reading and believing the writing of a man who  does not reside here and  seems hell bent on keeping this town at war. Perhaps before you pass judgement on people you should get to know them first.Have you ever sat with Mr. Brady or Mr. Mcdonald and listened to thier side of the story? I can't speak for them but I am quite sure that If you ever chose to reach out and ask to sit down for a cup of coffee and chat they would be more than happy to do so.

Many of those that you refer to are citizens that were born and raised here and had dedicated many hours of service to this community through both volunteer work and on boards and committees. Many have been paid disrespect and have had thier reputations called into question by This so called journalist and this current BOS. Many of the accusations only backed by hearsay and no real proof. Thier only crime being that they had done thier service under the previous Board and not this one. And regaurdless of the opinions of the current cast of characters in charge these people care very deeply for the community they live in.

So while I have to admit you do sound like you may be more qualified for the position on the BOH. You must also appreciate why Mr.Brady is upset. The message that this BOS seems to send over and over again is that regaurdless of whether or not you are a resident of Wareham. Regaurdless of wether or not you are a registered voter and taxpayer here, If you openly oppose thier agenda or you do not support them YOU WILL NOT BE APPOINTED TO A BOARD OR COMMITEE PERIOD.

I watched the meeting last Tuesday when you were appointed.It also did not go unoticed by me that the BOH had made a recommendation for a 2nd associate postion on the Board. A postion that I am sure Mr. Brady would have accepted. The BOS, Mrs. Donahue in particular chose instead to refuse to appoint Mr. Brady to that position, and at the same time deny the request of the BOH. How can that action be taken any other way but politically motivated. You refer to an old boy network, But would this not make this board the new boy network?

You openly admit that you have moved here recently. Welcome to Wareham it is a wonderful town. If the only picture of Wareham's political past that you have is one that has been painted by this current board or the opinionated writings of a local news paper writer. Then I would respectfully ask that you speak with some people that you may consider to be part of that past. After they tell you thier veiw of the past Your view of it may change a bit. I was always raised to believe that there is  two sides to every story and it is not until you have heard both sides that you can find the truth.

#22 2010-02-16 19:19:07

Dear Ms. Irish, 
I'm a bit intrigued by your response to my comments above.  And it should be noted that, contrary to GWB's comment, I'm not the least bit "upset".  In fact, if you go back into the minutes of my interviews and listen to the recordings, the members of the Board of Health and I shared the conversation that it is not likely that I would get the appointment having been through the process a couple times now with the same result.

Lisa wrote:

What in my resume leads one to believe that I am unable to be a useful member to the BOH?

If something I said (or wrote) leads you to believe this, then you have clearly miscomprehended my comments or someone else has suggested this to you otherwise.  Kindly re-read my post and share with me how anywhere in my post that I have suggested that you are "unable to be useful".  It is exactly that sort of distortion that takes statements made and changes the context.

As I stated above, I commend AND encourage ALL Wareham residents to serve.  I wish you nothing but the best.

sincerely,

PS. If ever you care to share that cup of coffee, I'm easily reachable.

#23 2010-02-16 20:06:27

Unfortunately, I am easy to reach as well. I do share the commute that Ms. Irish shares, so that limits my time.

Again, congratulations on your appointment.

#24 2010-02-16 22:36:39

GWB

Mr. Brady I am sorry I mis-understood you. I was under the impression by some of your postings that it bothered/upset you that even though you repeatedly have tried to serve on recent boards and commissions. That this current board continues to pass you over for these appointments. I can only look at it through my eyes I guess. Which is if it were me wanting to serve my community and were passed over not because I was not qualified to serve but what appears to be strictly political reason It would bother me.

But what I will restate is the tone of the comments by her towards you imply that she may have bought into the negative press about you with out actually talking to you to hear your side of the story. I would sincerly hope that she would try to chat with you at some point.

Mrs. Irish  definately has something to offer. and will bring something positve to the BOH through her stated experience in the health field. For that I commend her for being willing to serve.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com