#1 2010-01-27 12:02:36

After the open town department head meeting this morning, the president of the Friends and I stayed to speak with Mr. Andrews. One of our concerns was this concept of the town sanctioning us. He clearly said that because we meet at the library we fall under the town's "umbrella." I asked specifically does that mean that the town sanctions us? He said YES, of course. I said we were informed recently that we were NOT sanctioned by the town. He said, by whom? I said the local tabloid writer!

So, I guess that means that asking people to become fans of the library face book page so that a donor can give $1 for each new fan would fall under that "umbrella."  Remember, that money will go to purchase books and materials that the town's budget cannot support.

It looks like we will also be able to hold our February book sale as long as his policy is created and enacted in time. We should be getting a memo. I informed him that in fact, the library does have a meeting room policy that the town was aware of (Even poor Mr. McAuliffe got a copy of it from the library when he inquired about meeting use space.) I believe the charter says it is the purview of the TA to determine such things. (We know the BoS doesn't get involved in day to day!!) The Library Director in the past was allowed to use her best judgment as to who can use the rooms. The library policy was set by the library trustees and the Director adhered to it. She did not have to get permission from the TA for every group that wanted to meet. That's why you hire good department heads.

It looks like other groups will still be able to use meeting space with his express permission. But if Mr. Andrews wants to personally ok all meetings, use of the marquee, and yes, even the cork boards (!!), that is his choice. It just seems to me that he has so many more important things that he must have to do and now he has to "stamp" each flier that gets posted on the cork boards in all town buildings.

He talked about liability and was a bit surprised to learn that the Friends have our own liability insurance. I guess most non-profits don't.

We also discussed the importance of the book sales and how much the Friends have purchased for the library over the years.

I understand that we will no longer be able to hold the running book sale in the lobby because the staff collects the money. They have always been willing to do that since they know the proceeds go right back into the library. I understand the reasoning here. However, we make as much in the lobby book sale every month as we do at the monthly book sale. So our book sale revenue just decreased by half. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

He said they are looking at the applications for a new director but there were budget considerations. I explained that to be certified, you need an MLS running the show. He agreed that would be the right choice.

All in all, a productive meeting.

#2 2010-01-27 12:22:38

Nora,
Thank you very much for the update. As usual, the truth prevails. It is also good to see our uhmmm uhmm Selectmen staying out of day to day! :)

Again, What I see overall is the personnel choices made by the Selectmen and ITA were people that could not "manage". Perhaps that will be corrected under Mr. Andrews.

#3 2010-01-27 12:24:48

Wow, Andrews apparently is listening to reason.

In other words, Brenda will have a midnight firing declaration drafted for him by March.

#4 2010-01-27 13:58:14

Nora Bicki wrote:

I understand that we will no longer be able to hold the running book sale in the lobby because the staff collects the money. They have always been willing to do that since they know the proceeds go right back into the library. I understand the reasoning here.

He might have said no more running sales from the lobby because using public funds (staff collecting money) for fundraising is not allowed.  That is why volunteer group are started.

#5 2010-01-27 17:32:33

I find Mr. Andrew's denials interesting. I was NOT alone when he made those statements. The president of the Friends was with me. He told us BOTH we were sanctioned by the town and under its umbrella. I can't understand why he would deny saying something to both of us. I guess I know where Mr. Andrews stands on the library.

from the tacky tabloid:
"Andrews bristled when informed of comments made by Friends spokesperson Nora Bicki on a local web site Wednesday morning. Bicki wrote: “After the open town department head meeting this morning, the president of the Friends and I stayed to speak with Mr. Andrews. One of our concerns was this concept of the town sanctioning us. He clearly said that because we meet at the library we fall under the town's "umbrella." I asked specifically does that mean that the town sanctions us? He said YES, of course. I said we were informed recently that we were NOT sanctioned by the town. He said, by whom? I said the local tabloid writer!”
    Andrews denied making any such statement.
    “The town “sanctions” the Friends? I didn’t make that statement. I don’t even know what that means,” Andrews said. “I didn’t say the Friends group falls under the “umbrella” of the town. I said non-profit organizations that work of behalf of the town should fall under the umbrella of the town so we can work better with one another.”
    Selectman Brenda Eckstrom saw the Facebook page over the weekend. She said it was highly deceptive.
    “That’s why we have a new Board of Library Trustees,” she said. “Somebody needs to set policy regarding what the library can and cannot be used for.”

#6 2010-01-27 17:56:49

class act our elected BOS member.....

Selectman Brenda Eckstrom saw the Facebook page over the weekend. She said it was highly deceptive.
    “That’s why we have a new Board of Library Trustees,” she said. “Somebody needs to set policy regarding what the library can and cannot be used for.”

last nights comment "ppl need to grow up and get a life" at the BOS meeting was VERY VERY grown up and professional....

#7 2010-01-27 18:45:06

Who are the new Library Trustees?
What is their web site?
What is the Town's official web site for the library?
Duh....

#8 2010-01-27 19:35:19

On account of this Andrews must be sanctioned: http://volokh.com/posts/1238962087.shtml

#9 2010-01-27 20:52:42

Bobo wrote:

Andrews said...non-profit organizations that work of behalf of the town should fall under the umbrella of the town so we can work better with one another.”

What does that mean??

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-27 20:53:22)

#10 2010-01-27 21:04:34

GWB

I would hope it just means what it means/ Work together. Unfortunately I fear he may be Implying the current BOS interpretation of that stament which would be non-profits that work on behalf of the town should be controlled by the town. Because as we all know with this current BOS it is all about control.

#11 2010-01-28 10:47:21

Just a word of caution - remember Slager's history of fictionalized and dramatic writing.  Slager has misquoted and twisted the words of many people I like and respect. I do not know the new town administration, but I would not be so quick to call Mr. Andrews a liar if the Observer is the only source of what he said.

#12 2010-01-28 11:04:46

If Mr. Andrews doesn't request a retraction or an apologize, I think that covers the answer. So far....

#13 2010-01-28 11:15:45

Did the story appear in the print version of the Observer or just online?  Because, honestly, if the new TA is sitting around reading Slager's website we have bigger problems that his truthfulness or lack thereof. Mr. Andrews is not an elected official.  He is a professional with a very challenging job ahead of him.  As citizens we can demand professionalism and respect from him, but we can't do much about him. Unlike the BOS who we CAN vote out of office!

#14 2010-01-28 11:55:04

While I totally agree that the tabloid is a work of fiction, only a total moron would so heavily "misquote" the town administrator of the only town you are totally obsessed with. If the TA gets mad because of a "fictionalized" version of something he said, I would imagine he wouldn't even spit on the tabloid writer never mind give him another quote. Of course, this is all my opinion since I don't know if this is indeed another work of fiction, some semblance of the truth, or (egads!!) the truth.

#15 2010-01-28 12:19:12

Nora, maybe you should print the tabloid and bring it to the TA. Maybe both you and the President should go. Actually confront the guy. If the tabloid made it up, you can report that here. If the TA lied you can also report that here. I know this would add another thing for you to do, and you have already done so much for this site and the town, but I think only you and the president can do this. I also think we really need to know.

#16 2010-01-28 12:34:01

HERE'S THE LIARS RESPONSE:

By: robertslager on 1/28/10
Ms. Bicki is forgetting another possibility in her "dispute" with Mr. Andrews - she is lying through her teeth about what he said to her. Just pointing that out.

#17 2010-01-28 12:46:35

I guess he is calling Kathy Gleason a liar too since she was with me and heard what I heard. 

When Brenda said "get a life" at the last BoS meeting, I think she must have been talking about the tacky tabloid writer. What does he sit in his toilet waiting for one of us to post something on here so he can immediately blog to his tin foil hat followers? I'd say someone should get a job and support his family instead of spending the day in his office/bathroom, but that's just me, a person with a work ethic who would never expect my spouse to be the sole supporter of our family.

#18 2010-01-28 12:57:23

rukidding wrote:

Nora, maybe you should print the tabloid and bring it to the TA. Maybe both you and the President should go. Actually confront the guy. If the tabloid made it up, you can report that here. If the TA lied you can also report that here. I know this would add another thing for you to do, and you have already done so much for this site and the town, but I think only you and the president can do this. I also think we really need to know.

Good idea. In fact we are considering doing so. I already know of one person who confronted him with a blatant lie he told. I've sent that person an email asking for details.  Two other people involved in the incident have already spoken with me. I hope I don't detect a pattern. Addictive behavior = addicted to telling lies too?? That would not be good. I'll get back to you on this.

#19 2010-01-28 14:48:45

Great idea to confront him Nora. You and the President of the Friends. Make sure you audio tape it.

"Uh...what I meant to say to you was that I think that all volunteer groups should be covered under the umbrella of protection."

"So, you meant, and did say, that the Friends were covered under the umbrella by the Town because we are a volunteer organization?"

"Yes and no. Yes I may have said it, but, I didn't mean to say it that way. I meant to say that all volunteer organizations of the Town should fall under the umbrella of the Town and it's liability."

"So...is Mr. Slager lying about what you said?"

"Oh, NO!!! NO!!! No, Mr. Slager would never lie. I think he may have misquoted me a little bit, he was trying to type on is computer while we spoke, I could hear him tap-tap-tapping on his keyboard...and I could hear a flushing sound in the background...anyway...No ! No! No! Mr Slager would never lie, he just misunderstood a few things, that's all."

"So...we misunderstood and Mr. Slager misunderstood...correct?"

"Basically yes, that is correct."

"May we quote you on that?"

"Certainly feel free to say that I do believe that all volunteer organizations should fall under the liability umbrella of the Town. That is my opinion, and of course, the Board of Selectmen can over-ride me."

"Would you honestly tell the Board of Selectmen how you feel?"

"Of course... they will read this after all."

"If they tell you they don't agree with you, what will you do?"

"I will follow their wishes. They are my bosses."

I'm just saying....

This guy will dance faster than an Irish dancer. You know what an Irish dancer is? A dancer that moves his or her feet so fast you can't see them.
He's an Irish dancer.
I don't want to stick him with such a wonderful image as real Irish dancers, so maybe we can call him, instead of "little butt-monkey", or "butt-monkey #2", or "Kiss ass." we should just refer to him as "dancer".
Name fits, and the Irish will still be happy.
You need every vote you can get by April 6, 2010!!
So...no offense to the Irish!

#20 2010-01-28 15:39:56

He brought a mug of coffee into the Dept. Head meeting that said "Top Banana."  Just saying.

Last edited by Nora Bicki (2010-01-28 15:40:27)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com