#66 2010-01-09 00:20:50

So, how exactly does an IRS and Commenwealth of Massachusetts recognized 501-c-3 charitable organization move from a position of receiving voluntary donations intended to foster better community relations to a position of handing out parking tickets (a form of mandatory contributions??) and/or other traffic citations while driving around in cruisers looking so much like law enforcement instead of community volunteers????????????

Even Red Cross vehicles are NOT authorized to use lights and sirens while moving on streets and highways to conduct their charitable work (Red Cross vehicle lights and/or sirens are only authorized to be used at the emergency scene or when specifically authorized by State or local law enforcement!

If Onset Community Crime Watch smells like rotten fish and looks like rotten fish and acts like rotten fish, then just maybe it could be rotten fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I do not reside in Warehame/Onset, I may not be the best person to bring this to attention of appropriate authorities, but it sure does seem like some state level entity should be made aware of this and if not already under investigation one should be initiated ASAP!

**edited to correct to 501-c-3**

Last edited by falcon (2010-01-09 00:28:10)

#67 2010-01-09 00:22:27

Mr. Onset wrote:

bornofwareham wrote:

Mr. Onset.  Please, go to the TA and ask for copies of all the paperwork to do with Crime Watch.  I'm not being a smart ass, either.  They will ignore you.  They will tell you that they don't have any.  They will tell you to come back another day.  They will tell you anything to get you to leave.  If you don't, they will call the police.

If we could get our hands on anything from the BOS or TA about crimewatch, believe me, it would have been posted for everyone to see.  Please, seriously, go to the town hall and try to get this information.  If you are able to, you will be a hero.   Even the minutes aren't clear.

I can't figure out how to ask for this information and post it without compromising my blog identity.  That is more important to me than being viewed as a hero.  However, we don't have to depend upon the town providing information about the waiver signed by Crime Watch volunteers.  All we need is one volunteer to post the waiver they signed (deleting their signature if they like).

I don't think anyone wants to be a hero here.  So many of us, for many reasons are not comfortable revealing our identity at the present time.

I found the Articles of Organization papers on file with the Secretary of the Commonwealth, Corporation Division, for ONSET COMMUNITY CRIME WATCH, INC..  Capt C was correct when he said he believed they were under Section 501- (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.  This means Crime Watch is a non profit organization.  They applied 9-16-04, with Pres.-George Coleman, Treas. -Willard Outhouse, Sect. -Philip Rooney, V.P. -George Funnell, Director -Barbara Coleman and Director - William Delaney.  All officers terms were to expire on 12-31-06, except Sgt. Delaney, expiring 12-31-04.  The original application states:  "The purpose of the corporation is to engage in the following business activities:  Neighborhood Crime Watch, working together for a safer community including but not limited to vandalism prevention, larceny prevention, safety tips for seniors and working together with local police departments, provide the means for citizens to recognize potential crime and implement prevention strategies, furnish residents with the opportunity to become better aquainted with one another and the routine activities of the neighborhood and improve the quality of life within a neighborhood and increase community participation."

They have filed an annual report each year.  In Sept., 2005, each officers term was for two years.  Again, Pres. and Treas. - George Coleman, Clerk - Barbara Coleman, directors were: Sarah OKeefe Philip Rooney, John Ouellette, Lori Avila, Bruce Porter, George Funnell, Don D'Augusta and Winna Dean.

On 6-08-06 an Article of Ammendment was filed and signed by George Coleman, President and his wife, Barbara.  It added to the above original application as follows:  Said organization is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational and scientific purposes, including for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 50l (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.

Their last annual meeting was on 10-20-09, with an address of 4 Union St., Onset, but also including a P.O. Box #.  The Pres.-George Coleman, Treas.-Barbara Coleman and Clerk-Cheryl Callahan. The Board of Directors were:
George and Barbara Coleman, Don D'Augusta, Winna Dean, Cheryl Callahan, Howard Kaplan, Al Cardoza, Midge Costa and Ted Porada (whose address is listed as Somerset, MA.- probably a summer resident).  All terms to expire on 9-15-10.  Sorry this is so long.  I can't find anything on an agreement with the Town of Wareham.  Still looking.

#68 2010-01-09 00:56:34

I just noticed that I failed to mention that at the top of the article of amendment for Crime Watch, was the address - 86 Church St., Mattapoisett, Ma.    This address is for the Law Office of Donald Fleming and Margaret Ishihara.  Sound familiar?

#69 2010-01-09 08:26:49

With all this great research, it confirms Crime Watch is a private not for profit organization, organized for charitable purposes. So if all that is true, where do they come off as the parking enforcement arm of Wareham? More importantly, why are the tax payers picking up the tab for Coleman's "alleged" criminal defense?

#70 2010-01-09 08:38:59

Even ore than that: where is the money?
Who collected the money, how much money was collected, how much was given to this so called charity, who was paid from the charity, what are the parking ticket writers paid, where are the annual reports of expenses and receipts, etc.,etc.,etc.
Someone has made some money...let's find out who.

#71 2010-01-09 10:13:32

danoconnell wrote:

Even ore than that: where is the money?
Who collected the money, how much money was collected, how much was given to this so called charity, who was paid from the charity, what are the parking ticket writers paid, where are the annual reports of expenses and receipts, etc.,etc.,etc.
Someone has made some money...let's find out who.

donations i found there are others....

Susan Williams-Giffard presents George Coleman, Area Leader of the Onset Community Crime Watch, with a check for $4,000 from drug dealers' forfeited funds. Susan served as a member of Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz's forfeited funds review committee. Also pictured with Susan are D.A. Cruz, Wareham Police Chief Tom Joyce and Sgt. Delaney.

Onset Community Crime Watch Helmet Safety for Children  $1,740 from united wasy new bedford..

Last edited by LIZdaGNOME (2010-01-09 10:23:52)

#72 2010-01-09 12:09:32

Did anyone who ever recieved one of these tickets ever appeal it? What is the due process available on the tickets issued by this group? Is it the same as a ticket issued by a police officer or even the harbor master?

It would be interesting to find out they were never limited commisioned (sworn in to enforce those sections of the MGL) and those who paid the tickets came back asking for a refund....... Class Action??

Can the income on these tickets be found on the revenue books of the town as tickets or does the money go to the county?

#73 2010-01-09 14:22:31

I was going to say that Crime Watch doesn't wear uniforms, but if the bike cops wear shirts with WPD or Police on the back instead of a regular uniform, that's just what Crime Watch wears, except they are flourescent yellow, with Crime Watch on the back.

I haven't seen light's or sirens on their cars and I know the state has a stiff law on the use of sirens.  Police, fire and Emergency vehicles.  That eliminates that question.

I have lived in Wareham my entire life and the only person I know on the crime watch volunteers is Winna Dean.  I looked for the Somerset man on "GOOGLE" (BOS should try this site) and found Ted Porada as an alumni of Somerset High School, class of 1964.  The same address listed with Crime Watch is also shown as his home address.  I did find a posting on Southcoast Today from 10-25-09.

It reads as follows:     Thank you for pulling together!

We would like to extend our sincere thanks to the Wareham Board of Selectmen, the Interim Town Administrator, Interim Police Chief Stanley, the Charter Review Committee, John Donahue as well as the town employees who pulled together with the residents and friends of the Town of Wareham at the Oct. 17th Community Meeting.  Special thanks to Larry Gaines and David Smith for their hard work in getting the meeting filmed.

Most of all, we would like to thank the citizens and friends of Wareham who participated or helped spread the message of positive rather than negative involvement in our community. Although we can't say that everything went perfect, we can certainly say that we believe that the October 17th meeting was a successfull first effort.

signed:     Ellen Begley, Ted Porada, Mike Schneider.

I believe the parking ticket money goes to Plymouth County with a small percentage returned to the Town of Wareham.  I am not positive on that.

#74 2010-01-09 15:04:25

Follow the money!!

#75 2010-01-09 15:10:03

Ted Porada is the famous Coach TP for those who don't know. I can show you posts from Sunday night chat on another site that is full of his type of positive behavior. I have also witnessed it in person. We also have pages filled with some of the positive comments of Michael Schneider.

I know we are discussing crime watch, so I will leave it at that.

#76 2010-01-09 15:17:13

Start a new post and inform us, won't you Francis?
Thank you...ta ta and cheerio!

#77 2010-01-09 15:44:55

dan
that was a little to British for a man named O'Connell.

#78 2010-01-09 15:54:38

Dan,
Too much going on to start a new post at this time, but it will happen. The great folks that brought us MWF (BOS, Bobo, and all their cronies) also preach positive dialogue. I guess they forget about that on Sunday night? Doesn't matter, more important things to focus on at this point.

#79 2010-01-09 17:32:55

Larry McDonald wrote:

Ted Porada is the famous Coach TP for those who don't know. I can show you posts from Sunday night chat on another site that is full of his type of positive behavior. I have also witnessed it in person. We also have pages filled with some of the positive comments of Michael Schneider.

I know we are discussing crime watch, so I will leave it at that.

And I thought it stood for toilet paper.  Is he a real coach and if so,where?

#80 2010-01-09 17:50:52

I believe he is retired. He was a coach and scout and some point. He is not a resident and does not vote in Wareham.

#81 2010-01-10 21:09:30

By: robertslager on 1/10/10
I have also always been highly suspicious of these allegations. I have to qualify this by saying I wasn't there. But I am at a loss to understand how he could be charged with assault and battery with a deadly weapon when the woman wasn't injured. The fact that the victim is married to a town employee and one of the key witnesses is married to somebody who was kicked off the Crime Watch board also makes me question the ligitimacy of all this. We will, of course, see how this is all resolved in court.

Wow bobo you know shit about the law huh?

#82 2010-01-10 21:22:57

The "ligitimacy" ?  Bobo...You should've "stood" in the sixth grade for a third year," on account of you're not too good of" a speller.

#83 2010-01-10 22:55:16

Hooked on Phonics, Bobo.  You need to get the box set.

#84 2010-01-10 22:59:35

BoBo figger out how to spel.  Git your wurds rite and thays won't be afunnin you.

#85 2010-01-10 23:05:36

Bobo, is that why you hate the library so much?  They wouldn't accept you into the adult literacy program?

#86 2010-01-10 23:13:30

Oh, "youse" guys made me laugh.

#87 2010-01-10 23:14:17

Hey P-Span - I do not remember the thread where Crime Watch vehicles were pictured, prominently displaying their flashing light bars, but I am sure you can locate those pix to jog bornofwareham's memory . . . yes Crime Watch vehicles did have emergency light bars installed sometime in the past year - while I did not personally see the vehicles, I do remember the pix appearing on this site . . .

The pix I am remembering had a young adult in front passenger seat (w/o any seat belt, btw) and a middle-aged driver

Thanx in advance P-Span . . . you have come through for the group so many times already!

#88 2010-01-10 23:34:38

falcon wrote:

Hey P-Span - I do not remember the thread where Crime Watch vehicles were pictured, prominently displaying their flashing light bars, but I am sure you can locate those pix to jog bornofwareham's memory . . .

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the urneighbor photos that first attracted the WSJ to this story.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/profile.php?id=615

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#89 2010-01-11 01:01:07

photos by urneighbor..(at least most of them are, as far as I know)

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-11 01:02:35)

#90 2010-01-11 08:35:21

Yeah..they don't look like police vehicles or anything.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com