#1 2009-12-31 01:33:40

LAWRENCE — A behind-the-scenes deal that allowed Mark Andrews, former budget and finance director, to carry over 15 weeks sick time from his state job to City Hall is being questioned by Mayor-elect William Lantigua's administration.

"This is an outrage. It's crazy," Lantigua said. "I have never heard of a person being fired, unemployed and hired by a municipality and all of a sudden, the municipality is buying his sick time."

Andrews, who made $93,000 annually, left City Hall this month to become the town administrator in Wareham. He is now looking for a $41,096 final payout from the city, which includes; $9,021 in vacation time, $21,265 in sick time, $7,368 in furlough pay and $3,440 in retroactive pay.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/loca … 22516.html

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#2 2009-12-31 07:56:16

Welcome to Wareham, Mr. Andrews.

#3 2009-12-31 08:06:18

Another carpetbagger comes to Town with his bag full of money from the previous Town that hated him and couldn't wait to get rid of him. How interesting.
How long before he fights the BOS and is packing his bag with money while heading to his new position?
I think the Chairman of the BOS read the book, "How to win through intimidation" and took it literally.
What he didn't bother to read is how you had better be able to back up your intimidating ways. A big mouth isn't enough to overcome a little weak ass.
I see wholesale changes coming, and a lot of elected officials will be adding their positions to their resumes to impress their friends and families.

#4 2009-12-31 08:33:42

Another fine example of our bos's hiring capabilities--or obvious lack thereof. Get ready for another McAuliffe-type ride. Will this guy last 3 months? 6 months? I can hear Brenda--whereas, you didn't kiss our butts everyday; whereas, you tried to stop us from running the town day to day; whereas, you actually spoke to the hateblogger power elitists, whereas, whereas, whereas--you're fired.

For those of you who have just started getting interested in town politics, when the bos decided to fire McAuliffe at close to midnight at a weekly bos meeting, Brenda read this long list of reasons to fire him. Each reason began with a whereas.

So I say--Whereas, in the year 2010, the town of Wareham will see a major change in the elected town officials and local media, and therefore, in town government--all for the better.

Whereas, Bruce and Cronie, if they choose to run for re-election will be defeated.

Whereas, Mary Ann Silva, if she chooses to run for re-election will be defeated.

Whereas, John Donahue, if he chooses to run for re-election will be defeated.

Whereas, if Brenda and/or Jane are recalled, they will be removed from office.

Whereas, no one will read the rag and ragboy will be out of yet another journalistic job and Wareham will be free from the lies and hatred that it has had to endure for too long.

Whereas, the CRC will fail at its attempt to overthrow our current form of government that has worked well until this current regime took over.

Whereas, the attempts to shove a faulty Westfield project, flawed nitrogen removal requirements, and the removal of civil service from our police chief, will all fail.

Whereas, Swift's Beach, the Don Bliss case, the Bob Bliss case, the library case, the health fund, the steelworker's union department head 6.5% case, the Maple Springs Road issue, the Coleman case, the crazy computer audit, the, well, all the legal cases this bos has gotten us into, are all resolved so that justice is served and the taxpayers are not screwed out of more money.

Whereas, Kopelman and Paige are informed that they have not served its clients, the citizens of Wareham, well and are hereby terminated.

Whereas, it will be a Happy New Year in Wareham--2010.

Feel free to add your own "whereas's" to the list. There are so many, I ran out of time.

#5 2009-12-31 11:42:42

Wow - ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the Wareham Board of Selectmen, the worst employee hiring body on the face of the planet.  True incompetents who couldn't pick a good employee if the fate of the free world depended on it. 

Did the selectmen not know about this latest revelation (and are thus incompetent) or did they know about it (and just not care about the town)?  Either way, it is getting tiresome that the people of Wareham have to hear about things like this through newspapers and blogs and not from the mouths of the selectmen themselves.  Nope, they just want to keep secrets and sweep it all under the rug.

Four years this town has suffered through these incompetent clowns tossing one TA after another overboard because they didn't kiss Brucey's butt with enough enthusiasm...four years Wareham has had no permanent TA and this is who they picked.

I don't bear any ill-will against the guy.  I know everyone has to make a living, I just think it was a mistake for our incompetent do-nothing, know-nothing board of select-clowns to invite him here to do it.  This latest revelation really takes the cake.

I hope that the voters are paying attention to this crap and will send this board a message by voting out the gruesome twosome - aka the tax cheat and the dirt thief.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-12-31 11:47:23)

#6 2009-12-31 11:50:16

Oh BTW - File this under "Bobo Scooped Again!"

#7 2009-12-31 15:41:12

Let us not forget some of the special deals that were made by our previous boards, some of who got their heir's jobs or gave Department Heads large pay raises based upon who took care of them and   the needs of their friends,  Let us not be that closed minded to think what is going on is something new. Some of you just selectively forget. I have seen enough of Wareham Political Scene in my previous life in Wareham. Let us all start the new year telling the truth.  Happy New Year and may God watch over you all.

#8 2009-12-31 20:25:24

What are the terms of Mark Andrews' contract with Wareham? 

The news article, see P-Span's message, states:

Mr. Mark Andrews was the former Budget and Finance Director for the City of Lawrence.    This city faces a $17 million budget deficit.

How much more can happen to us?  I guess we need to keep him on his toes and question everything, if he will speak to us.

#9 2010-01-01 12:30:00

capt c wrote:

Some of you just selectively forget. I have seen enough of Wareham Political Scene in my previous life in Wareham. Let us all start the new year telling the truth.

Will the ghosts of your previous lives haunt you if you remind the knowledgeable and enlighten the ign'rant of these truths?

Sweet Brucie is cute as a shithouse rat but he didn't invent original sin and we've never had a score card before.

As always, Cap'n, spill it or not, I admire your candor.

Last edited by billw (2010-01-01 12:30:27)

#10 2010-01-01 13:39:27

Capt C....like what?   Those are serious accusations.  I've been around a while and I don't know about this.

#11 2010-01-01 19:10:33

Voter: give me a call, I will be happy to fill you in and how about within the 20 years before I left in Feb.2002.
           and we will talk about the control the prior boards had with the Town Administrator and the running
           of the day to day operations. ( THE LIBRARY BEiING BUILT,NEW HIGH SCHOOL AND SEWERAGE 
           going forward without an override all at the same time with out an override.

#12 2010-01-01 19:41:50

/

Last edited by voter (2010-01-01 20:12:57)

#13 2010-01-01 20:12:37

I remember those times too.  Wasn't it about determining new growth so we would know what the town could afford to build? Didn't people have to work with John D. to understand the numbers and projections?  Who was on the Board and School Committee then?  Arthur B., Bob?  Manny?  I would be interested in knowing what you think but would have to give up my anonymity to find out.  Big decision on the first day of the new year!  All the best to you, Paul.

#14 2010-01-01 22:27:45

Capt C,  let me quote you.  "Let us all start the new year telling the truth."
I am not questioning your honesty because I know all too well that you tell it as it is, or you used too.      Don't shut us out.  You told Voter to call you and you would fill him in.    Fill us all in.     You can do it in just a few paragraphs on each subject.  We don't want to take up all your time, but you could enlighten us every few days with a new topic.  Sometimes our old brain needs a kickstart to remember.  Maybe if we hear things from your past years in Wareham, we won't make the same mistake twice.   

I agree, we need to start this new year telling the truth.  Have a happy and healthy new year, Paul.

#15 2010-01-02 15:18:57

Capt. C, do you honestly and truly believe that this BOS are any different?

Look at all the recent appointments and follow the paper trail back to how many of them donated to the campaigns of the BOS; and, look at the Democratic Town Committee to find out how many serve on that committee with Mr. & Mrs. Donahue who have been appointed to town committees.

There have been numerous people applying for positions and yet the BOS have chosen a select few to serve on more than one committee, all people who attend the DTC or who are connected to the Donahues.

Look at the Wareham Fire District. Mr.Donahue's sister is the Clerk. Her brother (and John's brother) is employed by the Water dept. The Clerk signs his pay check. The Clerk hired her neice ( John D's neice as well) to work in the office.

The Town Clerk has a nephew who was hired to work in the sewer dept. I believe that although he is her nephew, she raised him.

Read the depositions for Lt. Bliss, they are public record. The one and only witness, when asked how she got involved, said under oath, that it was a result of conversation she had while drinking with MS Ekstrom at Ms. Ektrom's house. And that she had also been for drinks at Mr. Cronin's house. So how did Maple Springs Road get the BOS attention? Connection by being drinking buddies.

You've been away a while, and if you thought their were problems before, they were nothing compared to now.

Last edited by Maturevoter (2010-01-02 15:20:20)

#16 2010-01-02 16:02:05

well lets see mark andrews a  17 million budget defcit under his watch as budget director seams like he had to leave town fast  and he lands in warehams lap boy are we luckey ,has he been to brendas for a drink yet ,ya know 2 acholics. by by lawrence mass , hello wareham. boy are we screwed.

#17 2010-01-02 16:53:30

I hate defending Mr Andrews, but we should be fair in our criticisms.  Mayor Sullivan (of Lawrence) was prohibited from seeking office again, due to term limits.  Mark Andrews knew that a new administration would not rehire the Sullivan appointments, and he would be out of a job.  He said that during his interview.  In fact, the newly elected Lawrence mayor seems highly critical of the entire Sullivan administration.  My take is that Mayor Sullivan hired Andrews to try to salvage a city that is nearly bankrupt.  I don't know enough about Lawrence's finances to be able to say whether Andrews helped or hindered, but he left Lawrence due to the change in administration.

#18 2010-01-02 17:04:41

It took them a little while to iron out his contract here. I guess I was actually thinking they might not hire him because of his "history", and potential backlash..But now I think there may have been discussions to include this "payout"..and "roll" the benefit into his contract with Wareham. Maybe they were able to deny this to him in the contract, and use his "troubled past" as leverage. Lawrence was left on the hook, and they don't sound too pleased. Maybe he can donate some of the proceeds to MADD.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#19 2010-01-02 17:25:47

Capt C,  is a very smart man    He once helped me with a problem, he was honest, fair and knew what he was talking about.

#20 2010-01-02 22:04:52

No one is questioning his character or his memory.  We are all interested in hearing. Maybe I should call him.

#21 2010-01-03 00:15:32

voter wrote:

No one is questioning his character or his memory.  We are all interested in hearing. Maybe I should call him.

If you call him, ask him to tell us all on this site about his memories.  It should be very interesting reading.

#22 2010-01-03 08:46:04

Voter....you can call Paul. He will maintain your identity and tell you what he knows. He can be trusted and has no hidden agendas. I think he harbors bad feelings for what took place on the WPD, but that is driven by his love of Wareham. He dedicated himself to 30 years service. He is honest and forthright and truthful. You may not like what he has to say, but so what?
He will answer your questions honestly.
I also hopes he includes us in his memories revealed...

#23 2010-01-03 13:36:11

Hey Voter: Why did the PD change it policy on hiring Permanent Intermittent several years ago in order to reach a selectman's son who would not have been hired . Joe Murphy had the right idea, the town did not hire relatives of Departmernt Heads . Why did I make this statement. Some people should shut their mouths on this site, for the do live inm glass houses.

#24 2010-01-03 13:59:46

Capt C:  Thanks for being blunt, but I wasn't challenging you or trying to be cute.  I was honestly thinking of calling to see what you wanted to say.   I am not related to anyone who worked for the town or who served. I think those of us who know of your experience, respect your opinion.

#25 2010-01-03 15:12:35

Thank God this election is about the future of Wareham. I don't know how the discussion of past boards has any impact on the election. Unless you are talking about the soon to be past board that is in place at the moment. Remember to keep you eyes on the prize. Remember the future!!!

Focus on April 6, 2010

#26 2010-01-03 15:40:42

rukidding wrote:

Thank God this election is about the future of Wareham. I don't know how the discussion of past boards has any impact on the election. Unless you are talking about the soon to be past board that is in place at the moment. Remember to keep you eyes on the prize. Remember the future!!!

Focus on April 6, 2010

Excellent point, RUK..I was thinking that too. No matter what the situation was in the past, it's "forward thinking" and fixing whatever is "wrong" currently (no small feat) that is the focus. I appreciate hearing history from those in the know, and they're probably a great resource to help clear the mine fields. Accepting the failings of the current administration because things may have occurred in the past, isn't an option. Probably one of my biggest problems with "them" is the fact that they're not "open"..and it is behind the scenes where most of there flawed schemes are hatched, and fester. Sure, if they really have to, they'll do the "public thing", but even then, they've proven to be "less than forthcoming" (probably the biggest reason I post the meetings, so it's there, for all to see..even if it's a small blurb, spoken at the end of a meeting..when hardly anyone would notice)

Getting Sweet Brucey OUT OF OFFICE is imperative...Cronie is important too, but he's a follower (thank God for that..could you imagine if he was the Leader??)..The Moderator must also be replaced..if people don't understand why I'ld write that..they need to do their homework..and the Town Clerk..let me just add that it's high time for a change there..additional resignations by Jane and BB are too much to hope for. But, elections and Town Meetings will happen, and the Town is taking increased interest in their actions. In a democracy, that spells trouble for them. Bobo won't stop it. None of them will. The times they are a changin'.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2010-01-03 17:31:48)

#27 2010-01-08 13:23:55

Courier: Contract addresses new Wareham town administrator's past

WAREHAM - Although the Board of Selectmen never publicly addressed new Town Administrator Mark Andrew’s two previous arrests for drunk driving, language in his contract shows they were certainly aware of the issue.

Andrews, was passed over for the position of town administrator in Mattapoisett this past summer. During that time, Andrews’ two drunk-driving arrests in 2006-2007 were brought to light. Andrews was not convicted on either charge.

During public interviews for the Wareham job, neither Andrews nor the board raised the issue. His three-year contract, however, contains a provision that Andrews will be immediately terminated from his position should he be found responsible for “any motor vehicle infraction involving alcohol use in any civil or criminal proceeding.”

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#28 2010-01-08 13:37:32

Jane Donahue states this in the article: "She said thorough background checks were conducted on all the people interviewed for the job."

I guess they forgot to do that with the Library Director they hired and then fired when this site brought to light the fact that he had his license to practice law suspended for a year in his "background."  I hope they do a background check on the next round of applicants for Library Director.  If not a formal one, at least GOOGLE the person!!! Like we did.

And one more comment: if they DID do a background check, then why not ASK the guy about it in the interviews??? Wouldn't it have been important to hear the guy's response?  Adding a clause to a contract to let everyone know they are aware of the two DUIs seems like an odd way to go about it. Could this be another example of the lack of good communication skills we see in our BoS? Another example of their inability to properly screen and interview good candidates for important positions in town departments/government???

You decide on April 6.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com