#1 2009-12-07 14:49:22

Plymouth County DA's office rules Wareham selectmen violated Open Meeting Law
December 07, 2009 2:36 PMWAREHAM — The Board of Selectmen violated the state's Open Meeting Law last spring when it met repeatedly in executive session to discuss the controversial “computer audit,” the Plymouth County district attorney's office has ruled.

The ruling, issued Friday, centered on a finding by Assistant District Attorney Mary Lee that the board discussed “matters that exceeded the scope of the stated purpose” of the closed meetings, which was to discuss criminal charges or the filing of criminal complaints.

Lee ordered the board to make public the minutes of the meetings of May 12, May 26 and June 2, with a narrow exception for one matter still pending.

The board must also acknowledge at an open meeting that it violated the Open Meeting Law with its improper executive sessions on May 26 and June 2.

Town Maintenance Director Mark Gifford, who together with Wastewater Treatment Plant operator David Simmons was called one of the “two biggest rats that work for the town” during the June 2 meeting, went to the district attorney for an investigation on the grounds he was not afforded his right to be present when his reputation is being discussed.

Lee ordered that Gifford and Simmons both be given the opportunity to put a letter of response in the official minutes of those meetings.

“This office does not accept the board's interpretation of the comments about Mr. Gifford. From the board's response to this investigation, it is apparent that the comments were made in the normal course of the discussion in executive session and represented one selectman's viewpoint during that discussion,” Lee wrote. “Therefore, that statement is not exempt from scrutiny under the Open Meeting Law simply because it was only voiced by the member.”

The comment, which came from Selectman John Cronan, was accidentally aired on local cable television and on the Web as part a nine-minute segment toward the end of the June 2 meeting, lifting the curtain on the conversation.

Complaints were filed with the district attorney soon after, and an investigation has been under way since.

Neither Gifford nor Simmons answered phone calls Monday.

Lee dismissed virtually all of the selectmen's claims about the computer audit as justifying a closed session.

“The executive session minutes of June 2 and two prior executive sessions purport to explain the reason and purpose of he computer audit,” Lee wrote. “On May 12, while allegedly discussing a person's reputation under purpose (1), the board decided that a computer audit was appropriate to deal with the problems raised.

“The problems went beyond the complaint that arguably raised a concern about possible criminal misconduct and addressed whether the town computers were more generally being used to criticize and denigrate people. The board planned a computer audit ‘to see who is fueling this negative blog ... and to determine the amount of time employees are wasting on personal Web sites.' This stated purpose is not related to a criminal investigation.
“As demonstrated in the May 26th and June 2nd executive session minutes, those private discussions had little if any content about criminal matters,” Lee ruled.

She also wrote that the May 26 meeting minutes reveal that only one of six reasons for the computer audit could even be construed as being a criminal matter, and that the board also talked about another litigation matter having nothing to do with criminal matters.

“Thus the discussion of the general computer audit, as recorded in these minutes, cannot be properly characterized as limited to a criminal investigation where it was undertaken primarily to address non-criminal matters,” Lee ruled.

The June 2 meeting was also unlawful because it strayed well beyond the legal grounds for executive sessions, she wrote.

“The June 2 executive session discussion about the computer audit apparently focused on the details and costs of that audit,” Lee wrote in her ruling, which was addressed to town counsel Kopelman & Paige. “The June 2 discussion also included the statements about Mr. Gifford, another individual and their department without any connection to criminal matters.

“Your letter of July 27 indicates that a criminal investigation was, at best, only part of the computer audit: ‘To the extent that the audit might result in evidence of use of town computers for illegal purposes, such information could have criminal implications.'

“It is not a sufficient justification for the generalized discussion of the computer audit under purpose (5) that evidence of a crime could hypothetically be uncovered while the board is conducting an investigation into non-criminal or other matters. The board must actually be discussing a criminal investigation in order to meet privately,” Lee wrote.

“Even assuming that the board was permitted to enter executive session to investigate the potential civil rights violation or criminal harassment of the individual who complains to the board, the ensuing discussions far exceeded the limited scope of the purpose of the executive sessions by discussing a computer audit into other matters,” she wrote.

Lee also admonished the board for failing to follow the legal method of convening an executive session.

“This office reminds the board of its obligations to begin every meeting in an open session, even when the board intends only to hold discussions in executive session, as it is required by law,” Lee wrote. “The publicly available open session minutes must also reflect the purpose for the executive session announced in the open and the vote of each member during the required roll call vote on whether to enter executive session.”

The district attorney continues to investigate a complaint filed by The Standard-Times this fall over the secretive method the board used to choose a new town administrator. Of particular concern was the seeming absence of public deliberation.

Steve Urbon is senior correspondent of The Standard-Times.

undefined

#2 2009-12-07 15:02:59

Thanks Phantom

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … /912079996

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/_images/ … eeting.pdf

..and thanks ST/Urbon. All the BoS yapping about wasted $$$ and their clean record at the "Workshop/BoS" BS session, they should feel grateful for all the crap they've gotten away with..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#3 2009-12-07 15:18:51

WILL  THE RAG CARRY THE ABOVE STORY.

#4 2009-12-07 15:21:41

What do you say to that Bobo? Not about the computer audit huh? Not about the bloggers huh? I guess the truth does come out. So which are you Bobo... The lying mouthpiece or the dupe?!

#5 2009-12-07 15:25:31

Oooops....you have to love that breaking news. Another STRIKE against the BOS and their approach to leadership and management. People, they don't care about us, only their own agenda. Wake up! Take Back Wareham!

#6 2009-12-07 15:43:48

I'm just wondering, will the BoS still be "meeting" with the editorial board of the ST as it voted in a recent meeting?

This site has been saying all along that their "pre-open meeting" executive sessions were not being done properly. I guess DA's office agrees.

Will Mr. Sanguinet eat his words from the last meeting where he gave kudos to the BoS for being good doobies about open meeting laws??

My question: DO WE WANT THESE FOLKS RUNNING THE TOWN??  Let's work together to elect candidates that will follow the law and represent the entire population of Wareham. Take Back Wareham.

#7 2009-12-07 15:49:24

We do NOT want these bozos running our town. The have an agenda that has nothing to do with good management, fiscal responsiblity, or the best interest of Wareham. Now they mouth off and get busted again. Let's end this charade in April. They have systematically destroyed this town. I would have fired every one of them many mistakes before now.

Maybe they will have another illegal executive session to discuss the admonishment they just received?

I can't wait for Bobo the Fabricator to spin this. Get out your whuppin stick Nora!

#8 2009-12-07 15:55:17

I have to beat P-SPAN to the punch:

Two Questions

1) How many open meeting law violations is this now?  Three by my count.  (McAulliffe hiring, Swifts Beach minutes, now this.)

2) Will Bobo keep ignoring his pledge that "if they violate the open meeting law again we will be all over them!"?  Yes yes he will.  Thats what good lackies do. 

This is hilarious.  Bobo the Bastion of Open Government goes on a 500 page tirade about how awful it is that a new newspaper is coming to town and completely ignores the BOS' third open meeting violation.

3 open meeting law violations in 3 years.  They rack 1 up per year.  Clowns!!!

#9 2009-12-07 16:08:04

Did I read this right and is the only result of this a "slap on the wrist"?  They have to admit their mistake in public at an upcoming meeting?  Really?  One time...OK...but three vilations of open meeting law in three years and this is all the can be done? 

Sure, perhaps it is up to the citizens to recognize this as a major issue and the real punishment is on election day but the way I see it, the open meeting laws can be violated 3 times per week and all that happens is a slap on the wrist each time.

I am missing something??

Regardless of what is discussed and how important it is in the grand scheme of things, ANY violation of the open meeting law is against the fundamental workings of a democratic form of government.

#10 2009-12-07 16:22:14

Oh I love it.  Bobo's response to the BOS' third open meeting law violation in three years is "Sauvageau rips the DA."  BRUCEY BITCH!  BRUCEY BITCH!

Brucey says he wants to fight the ruling before a judge and won't do as the DA orders - on the taxpayer's dime no less!

Bobo who pledged to "be all over them" if they violate open meeting law again ignores his pledge and kisses the Brucey butt.

What's the word of the day?  RECALL?!  Did somebody say RECALL?  Pull out the papers, where do I sign?

#11 2009-12-07 16:25:07

I hope you show up at the next BOS meeting to demand that they acknowledge their mistakes NOW!
Clowns are not just in Ringling Brothers.

#12 2009-12-07 17:26:53

One of the most important revelations to come out of the DA's letter is that the computer audit was really all about who was blogging here!! The DA determined that calling people bad names is not nice, but not criminal!

So, all this money wasted, K and P going through the discs with a fine toothed comb (ha ha, I still can't stop laughing about that Bobo boo boo), and it all turns out that the town clerk was simply insulted.

Well, now I think we need to find a good candidate to run for town clerk!  This one has got to go!! Get insulted? Call the FBI!!! Too pathetic.  Don't forget, she also took all the town's records from the library and has violated the Town Charter by not returning those copies. She also was part of the recent "safe cracking" episode with the safe at the library. And don't get me started on her inability to keep time at town meeting!!  Totally incompetent in my opinion.

This computer audit has cost the TAXPAYERS way too much. And this letter from the DA about open meeting law violation proves it.  Steve Urbon's willingness to go to the DA is a fine example of what a REAL investigative journalist does! Thanks Steve.

Take Back Wareham!!!

#13 2009-12-07 17:51:49

Let's see, Bruce wants to spend MORE tax payers dollars to defend his unprofessional behavior (and the same type of behavior from other Selectmen) and he REFUSES to apologize for violating open meeting law. Enough is enough.

Why don't Bruce and Bobo just quit and go to Disney world? I'm sure Mama Slager will pay for it.

Had Enough?

Take Back Wareham!

#14 2009-12-07 18:14:38

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/town … eeting-Law

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-07 18:39:22)

#15 2009-12-07 19:27:29

I say, in politics, as in baseball....THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT!!!

#16 2009-12-07 22:22:47

Now bobo is blasting the da. How's this toe to toe going so far bobo?

#17 2009-12-07 22:29:17

Bobo come on, you say everything is the single greatest abuse of power in your 25 years as a journalist.

"Dum de dumm I'm Bobo and I'll just go through this Dunkin Donuts drive through....what?  They're all out of chive cream cheese?!  This is the single greatest abuse of power in my 25 years as a journalist!!!"

Hey Bobo, you know what's funnier?  In your 25 years as a journalist, you haven't learned how to write.

#18 2009-12-07 23:21:11

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Sweet Brucey and Friends - Episode 3 - You Dirty Rat, See?

Sweet Brucey's pals, Lil' Janey and Lil' Cronie try to rehabilitate the BOS' image by re-recording the "infamous six minutes."

DISCLAIMER: No, I'm not actually saying they did try to re-record the infamous six minutes.  Come on, it's just a parody cartoon, see?

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#19 2009-12-07 23:53:45

I am missing something here.  Didn't I just watch a video of a selectmen's meeting in which the ITA read a sweet letter during the meeting, from the D.A.'s office?   Didn't I hear them say everything was OK and that it was about time they heard some positive news?  I believe I heard in a very soft voice that there were other executive sessions still to be looked into.

Now, according to this letter.  Everything is coming out about the audit and their executive sessions were in violation of the Open Meeting Law. for those particular dates.

Was that first letter by our legal council or the D.A.?  I think Mr. Gifford deserves more than what he is being allowed.  Actually, I think the citizens of Wareham deserve to see some form of punishment for the Board of Selectmen.    And, now Bruce wants to spend more money to fight this?  Is this true or is it just sarcasm.   I need a vacation.

#20 2009-12-08 01:30:32

bornofwareham wrote:

I am missing something here.  Didn't I just watch a video of a selectmen's meeting in which the ITA read a sweet letter during the meeting, from the D.A.'s office?   Didn't I hear them say everything was OK and that it was about time they heard some positive news?  I believe I heard in a very soft voice that there were other executive sessions still to be looked into.

Now, according to this letter.  Everything is coming out about the audit and their executive sessions were in violation of the Open Meeting Law. for those particular dates.

Was that first letter by our legal council or the D.A.?  I think Mr. Gifford deserves more than what he is being allowed.  Actually, I think the citizens of Wareham deserve to see some form of punishment for the Board of Selectmen.    And, now Bruce wants to spend more money to fight this?  Is this true or is it just sarcasm.   I need a vacation.

Ok, whether you've seen this or not (thanks for bringing it up, bornof)..it's worth a look, in light of recent events. Remember, this was a "workshop" which DID NOT air originally, and just listen to what these (edit) have to say..All of them (except Mr. Cruz who sits this one out)

...Jane's motion to meet with the ST editorial board (because they were apparently able to silence commenting on the ST before when commenters were "raunchy to certain individuals") is interesting..Silence your critics, is that always your answer Mrs. Moderator? I love that the weasels continue to show their "weaseliness". Instead of taking responsibility, they dig themselves deeper (and unfortunately that has cost Wareham, BIG TIME)..
R-E-S-I-G-N!!!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-12-08 02:52:54)

#21 2009-12-08 07:35:40

P-Span: They've all been great but this is the greatest. I think I'll make up a huge batch of pop corn and keep warching it all day!

#22 2009-12-08 07:55:55

"What's up?  What's up? 1930's Gangster Cronie in the house you all...who knew my 1930's Gangster Cronie talk would land us with our third DA violation in three years...oh and we almost made it past Christmas this time, ohhh you dirty rat, see?   Why youse mugs..."

#23 2009-12-08 08:04:17

If the rest of the town doesn't get it, then this has been entertaining, but now what? We have learned a great deal in addition to having had a place to vent.  But now, start telling NEW folks what you know and ask them to help by staying informed, asking questions, and voting.  Make it real in each and every case.  Let's do it!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com