#1 2009-12-05 17:33:59

I was quite "stunned" to see the comments made by one of our own selectmen regarding the former trustees' non-profit status in a local tabloid where it was "revealed" that the former trustees "illegally protected its status as a non-profit" by falsifying its IRS reports. To make such comments based on a tabloid reporter's words is totally unprofessional and shows a lack of understanding of holding elected office.  An elected official should FIRST and foremost be sure of the facts before making public statements, especially when they are derogatory.

According to the tacky tabloid, "Selectmen (sic) Brenda Eckstrom, after reviewing the data during an interview with the Observer, said she was stunned by the revelation. "How could the former board of library trustees list the actual library budget as public support for their own board?" Eckstrom asked. "That doesn't make any sense, especially when they claimed in court they are actually a private board."

On November 10, 1999, the former trustees' tax preparer spoke with Mr. Triebell from the IRS who agreed that the library's budget monies were "qualifying donations" that should be reported in Schedule A. On December 3, 2009, Ms. Turner from the IRS also agreed in a conversation with our tax preparer that the "expenses were includable on Schedule A."  As a result of these two conversations with IRS employees/experts, our tax preparer concluded that the trustees have "met the Public Charity requirements" and our IRS filings are in order. She also stated that, "there was no attempt by anyone involved in the preparation of said returns to intentionally mislead the public or any Federal or State reporting authorities." The reason the trustees annually paid a tax preparer to prepare our filings and had a CPA audit our books was to make sure that everything was done legally.

Form 990, page 3 of Schedule A, is a support schedule which the IRS utilizes to determine whether or not a Non-Profit is a Public Charity or a Private Foundation. The former trustees have always claimed to be a public charity since its inception.  There has been no wrong doing, and a simple phone call by the selectman would have clarified the issue and she would therefore have had no "revelation" to be "stunned" about. Clearly, Ms. Eckstrom has never heard of the phrase "no comment." Many a politician has been undone by making public statements without all the facts. 

(My own crystal ball predicts that in 2010, words, in fact, WILL come back to haunt the elected officials of Wareham!!!!) But I digress.

Making a false public statement impugning a local non-profit group that over the past years spent more than $500,000 from income on its invested principal on the public library, is simply wrong.

I would certainly support a recall of Ms. Eckstrom in April if she does not resign before then.

#2 2009-12-05 17:42:17

I heartily encourage Ms. Eckstrom to resign so she can be replaced at the April election.

#3 2009-12-05 18:24:20

Nora Bicki wrote:

I would certainly support a recall of Ms. Eckstrom in April if she does not resign before then.

Amen, Nora..

Missed you today. Thanks for all you and the Friends have done for Wareham. Brenda's grasping at straws. I hope they all go down on the same sinking ship, and they all will have earned their ruined reputations. Maybe they'll move to Halifax (but I'ld hate to wish that on any community in the Commonwealth)..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#4 2009-12-05 19:07:38

Brockton Brenda is a good puppet and will say whatever they need her to say.  If Bobo writes an article called "How the Trustees Made the Earth Go Flat," she'd give a quote saying "Damn those trustees for making the Earth go flat."

#5 2009-12-05 19:19:56

It's a shame Nora that you have to waste your time responding to this nut. But thank you

#6 2009-12-05 19:36:07

BROCTON BRENDA  IS DUMBER THAN A LUMP OF DOG CRAP,DID   SHE GET HER GED FROM BROCTON OR CHELSEA MA, SHE IS THE SAME IDIOT TO HAVE PROCLAIMED THAT IN THE  NINETEEN  THIRTES THAT WAREHAM  ABOLISHED THE STRONG CHIEFS LAW  ONLY TO BE PROVED WRONG , SHE  HAS NO SHAME TO RESIGN,  AND RECALL IS THE ONLY WAY. THE PEOPLE OF WAREHAM BY LEAVING HER IN POWER  WILL REGRET IT .

Last edited by ihateliz (2009-12-05 20:02:49)

#7 2009-12-05 20:05:20

THANKS NORA FOR TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT  THE LIBRARY  I APPRECIATE THE TRUTH .

#8 2009-12-05 20:23:02

Nora Bicki wrote:

To make such comments based on a tabloid reporter's words is totally unprofessional and shows a lack of understanding of holding elected office.  An elected official should FIRST and foremost be sure of the facts before making public statements, especially when they are derogatory.

Nora, You have identified precisely the most significant problem (IMO) with our community;  members on the BOS without an ounce of integrity who have been severely misled by a tabloid writer who also hasn't done his homework.

According to the tacky tabloid, "Selectmen (sic) Brenda Eckstrom, after reviewing the data during an interview with the Observer, said she was stunned by the revelation. "How could the former board of library trustees list the actual library budget as public support for their own board?"

Here again, spouting off without learning the least bit about what she says !

Clearly, Ms. Eckstrom has never heard of the phrase "no comment." Many a politician has been undone by making public statements without all the facts.

The only reason she has "no comment" is because she knows everything about everything and everyone else is wrong and corrupt.  It's her and Co.'s "mandate" to straighten our town OUR town.  Look at the marvelous job they've done so far.

(My own crystal ball predicts that in 2010, words, in fact, WILL come back to haunt the elected officials of Wareham!!!!) But I digress.

Making a false public statement impugning a local non-profit group that over the past years spent more than $500,000 from income on its invested principal on the public library, is simply wrong.

I would certainly support a recall of Ms. Eckstrom in April if she does not resign before then..

AND, if she won't resign, I too support removing and replacing her with ANYONE with compassion, committment and integrity who won't continue to embarrass OUR beautiful Wareham.
It's her derogatory snide comments every Tuesday that are unacceptable.
I can only assume she's like that in every forum.  That's not the representation I want.  NO THANK YOU.

Last edited by bbrady (2009-12-05 20:40:40)

#9 2009-12-05 23:13:15

I agree.  I hope Brenda Eckstrom will resign.

#10 2009-12-06 01:47:15

Thank you, Nora - again.   You may feel you are wasting your time answering the lies of Brenda and Mr. Slager.  Please don't feel that way.  You have opened our eyes to the workings of the library and the trustees.  A lot of things that we didn't know, especially in such detail.  Again, thank you.

The selectmen need to keep their noses out of the library.

#11 2009-12-06 08:15:52

Both Nora and Bob B have spent a great deal of time exposing abuse of power, whether newspaper or elected position.  I thank them.  I wish more people read this site and took time to think for themselves.

#12 2009-12-06 17:25:07

Recalling the Brockton Drunk AND Mrs. Moderator would be a positive step towards Taking Back Wareham..when the New Year begins, candidates will surface and our  all-important election day will draw nearer..Let's not forget that the Moderator and the Town Clerk also should go!!

#13 2009-12-06 18:02:27

I am looking forward to new officials in April.  Open the windows and air the place out . It will be like New Year's all over again.

#14 2009-12-06 19:53:10

Since Brenda was not acting on behalf of the BOS,  but speaking for her self, why can't she be sued personally?  That way she can incur the costs of her actions rather than using town funds to pay for her viciousness.

#15 2009-12-06 20:08:43

There's a thought....

#16 2009-12-07 09:07:15

Well, Ms. Eckstrom may claim to know all about non-profit IRS filings, but she certainly doesn't know what the library trustees are supposed to do!!

From her deposition 3/31/09. Again Q = Attorney and A = Eckstrom

Q: What is your understanding of the duties of the library trustees?
A: They're to set policy within the library as far as what books will be purchased, what--yeah, what books will be purchased, what--I don't know. If there's something that the--if there's something that the library needs that the trustees can help facilitate, that type of thing.

Oh my head, so to speak!!!  The trustees do NOT get involved in what books will be purchased!! Professional library staff have a set of guidelines that are used to determine which books are needed and which will be purchased. This is part of library best management practices. A real library director would know that as well!!

The Library Director ANSWERS to the trustees. The Board of Trustees is basically the boss of the director and oversees all functions and aspects of the library but not day to day business such as what books to purchase!!! The director must give a monthly report to the trustees (MJP's were always typewritten and each trustee got a copy.)

I see some of the tin foil hat crowd don't think that's true, but again, simply call trustees from neighboring towns and ask THEM what their responsibilities are!!  In many towns, trustees visit the library daily or weekly to see how the library is functioning. To my knowledge, our new board of trustees haven't even met and WE HAVE A LIBRARY IN CRISIS!! They need to meet to vote on officers, establish their by laws, help to get a new director hired asap, increase the skeleton crew staff that are overworked and have no direction. What's the delay?

We have a BoS member that can't even articulate what the role and function of a library board of trustees are. And I'm willing to bet the other selectmen wouldn't do much better explaining the role of the trustees. Yet they just appointed a full board to do...what??  (decide what books to order? oh my head!)

Does the new board know what they are supposed to be doing? If we had a library director, he or she could provide guidance. The library is a ship without a captain and has a new crew that has never been to sea before. (Ok, so I like metaphors!!)

But hey, what do I know. I only served 12 years as a trustee when the library was at its best and was considered a "jewel" by many in town.  Under MJP's direction, our library piloted many programs for the MBLC and regional library groups that were then instituted state-wide. We got many grants over the years to improve library service. Well, I could go on about how great the library USED to be. Let's give these new trustees a chance to bring it back to its former glory.

BUT FIRST, WE NEED A BOS WHO KNOWS WHAT ITS TOWN BOARDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING!!!

#17 2009-12-07 13:50:54

Nora...well...you know :)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com