#1 2009-11-30 01:01:45

WAREHAM — The annual holiday book sale will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday in the Wareham Free Library meeting room.

The Friends' new cookbook will be for sale for $10. Hundreds of gently used books for adults and children will be for sale, as will audiobooks, videos and DVDs.

The sale also features home-baked cookies, gift baskets and other items, and a new holiday gift raffle with prizes for adults and children.

Each participant will receive holiday candy and a prize.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … /911300319

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#2 2009-11-30 09:51:28

I also understand that they are having a cookie sale as well. If you are willing to bake, please help them out and bake some cookies for them to sell. If you aren't the baking type, then please stop by and buy some. Money raised goes to the Friends of the Library. In a time when this organization is getting "bad press" and non support from Marcia Griswald, who takes down the flyers posted at the libary announcing their fund raising events, we need to stand behind them one hundred percent and offer our support.
If you're not a member, please make an effort to join their oranaization as that will also help them out.

#3 2009-11-30 10:09:13

wow Mature, someone is taking down the fliers. How long has this been going on?

#4 2009-11-30 10:23:44

i'll be there to pick up my cookbook!!! and my daughter cant wait to get books.. she is such a bookworm..

#5 2009-12-05 02:54:45

bump..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#6 2009-12-05 04:13:34

MARCIA GRIS WALD  SHAME ON YOU FOR TAKEING DOWN THE FREINDS FLYERS ANOUNCING THE BOOK SALE ARE YOU SOME KIND OF NUT,

#7 2009-12-05 08:34:50

Marcia hates the friends and she will tell anyone who will listen to her how much she hates the friends.

#8 2009-12-05 11:37:22

So....does that mean she won't be there?

#9 2009-12-05 11:48:45

danoconnell wrote:

So....does that mean she won't be there?

she was there i just left and she was chit chatting..

#10 2009-12-05 14:20:50

I want to thank the Friends for the book sale. I walked out with a big bag o' books (and a couple of videos)..all for $13!!! Thanks alot..keep us posted on the next one please..

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#11 2009-12-05 14:38:46

There were a lot of people at the sale I’m sure they did well. Marcia has a lot of nerve showing up after taking down the fliers for the sale.

The cookbook is great!!! It would make a terrific gift, stocking stuffer, or hostess gift. If you have to buy a lot of small gifts for gift exchanges the cookbook would be a great idea. Instead of giving teachers  a Christmas mug or Christman pin the cookbook would make a nice alternative.

#12 2009-12-05 15:00:53

The cookbooks are great gifts! Awesome collection of recipes! Sorry i couldn't attend, but Liz went and did our shopping! More than anything, I appreciate the amount of support the Friends provide the Library despite the ongoing attacks by the same people who benefit from all their hard work!

#13 2009-12-05 16:49:39

To be fair, the signs that were taken down were for the Scoops for Spinney sale at Salerno's/ Nana's Ice Cream shop at the end of the summer.  The signs for this sale were not removed.  Ironically, any non-profit can hang their signs in the library for fund raisers, but ours were taken down because of the anti-Spinney attitudes of the BoS and acting director (in spite of the valid legal contract signed by the Bos and the Friends!!! Forget that the BoS never READ the contract!)

The cook books will continue to be on sale at the Circulation Desk during library hours so you have plenty of time to get them for Christmas gifts!!! Used books are always on sale in the main lobby. The Friends make almost as much during the month on those lobby books as they do on the monthly big sales. And as always, ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT THE WAREHAM FREE LIBRARY!!

Since our new fiscal year began in May, we have spent well over $20,000 on books and materials for the library (and that does not include what we spent from Jan-May).  That is extraordinary for any Friends groups. Just call some local libraries, speak to their directors to find out how much the average Friends of the Library group raises and spends on their library. Our group stepped up when the library was decertified last year with $20,000 for salaries and $45,000 for books and materials.

My understanding is that since the Friends stopped buying the library's books in October, only back/standing ordered books have been paid for with tax payer dollars.  A good library director would know the importance of a good collection, and of course, would be aware of the library's collection policy.  This is just one reason why the library needs a qualified library director ASAP.

From January to October this year, the friends purchased all the office supplies used by the library. Again, that is way beyond what any normal Friends organization does. Most library Friends group pay only for programming, literacy programs, children's summer reading programs, author, health or financial series (which we also do). They NEVER pay salaries and certainly do not pay for the entire book budget and office supply for two years.

One of the newly appointed trustees on another blog, did not speak very highly of the Friends group and intimated that since M. Griswold controls who can meet in the library that things might change in the future.  That would be truly a sad day since the trustees are supposed to make sure that the library has as much support as possible. Bad mouthing the Friends before the trustees have their first meeting is tacky at best. And I have been told by more than one person that the acting library director has nothing good to say about the Friends although she has never said that to my face.  (I see that Marny above also says this, although I don't know her sources). That is so unprofessional for an acting director, in my opinion.

I can think of a few cliches here: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

The Friends began at the old Tobey library and have continued on since the new library opened, supporting the library and providing volunteers. When the town is facing further budget cuts, you would think the new trustees and the acting director would want to reach out to such a hard working group of people rather than alienating them. If they think it is easy to raise money for any organization, they will be surprised. The $50,000 they get from the former trustees won't last very long if the Friends are tossed out.  Buy hey, that's just my opinion.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO BAKED AND BOUGHT COOKIES, BOOKS, GIFTS AND OUR COOKBOOKS TODAY AT OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY FAIR!! We appreciate YOUR support!!!

#14 2009-12-05 20:42:18

Get government out of the Library business....

#15 2009-12-05 21:54:48

Nora,
I had to work today but my husband and daughter stopped by to pick up a few things. I understand she was having so much fun she threw a fit when they had to leave. I guess I have created a library lobbyist, is that possible at 4 years old?

On another note, the cookbook is great, can't wait to get back from vacation to spend a day in the kitchen (okay, I can wait to get back but you know what I mean!)

#16 2009-12-06 09:02:27

Nora… Marcia has said she is trying to find a legal way to get the friends thrown out of the building. I don’t know if she means the friends of the library or the friends of the elderly who meet at the COA.

#17 2009-12-06 09:25:26

That's crazy.  How does she expect the Friends to help her (the library) with funds?  This is so dysfunctional and childish.  Someone needs to be adult and step up and heal this mess.  We need a real library director immediately.  BOS: please look at the other finalists and choose one.   We have to get the library going in a new direction fast.

#18 2009-12-06 20:18:52

SO MARCIA GRISWALD WANTS TO THROW THE FRENIDS OF THE LIBRARY OUT ON THEIR EARS , SHE SURE IS A SICK PUPPEY.

#19 2009-12-06 20:22:04

I WOULD RATHER WATE TILL WE THROW THE SELECTMAN OUT IN APRIL ,I DONT LIKE THE PEOPLE THIS BOARD IS HIREING,NOR THE TRUSTEES THEY PUT IN ,  WATE FOR NEW SELECTMAN BEFORE WE HIRE A NEW LIBRIAN.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com