#1 2009-12-04 11:51:02

My sources have told me that the interim police chief is "leasing" six new cruisers and sending six officer to Florida to pick them up. They will be black and white, not blue and white.
Can anyone confirm? If so, where is the money coming from and didn't town meeting vote against new cruisers? I know, the vote at town meeting was to "buy", not "lease", so they are playing with semantics.  Wouldn't the leasing of six new vehicle also still have to be voted upon? Isn't it a capital expenditure? How is it that there is money for this new police chief to use, but not the previous one?

#2 2009-12-04 12:28:08

i heard leasing with grant $ for the first year..... town to pick up after that...

#3 2009-12-04 14:56:04

TBL

The Wareham Police and just about every police agency in Massachusetts get their cruisers from a place called MHQ in Marlborough. There is no way they would send officers all the way down to Florida just to pick up cruisers. Town meeting approved 4 new cars last year but the PD only managed to buy 2 new cars before the town took that money away. Many cruisers are in tough shape mechanically and should have been put out to pasture a couple years ago. Due to extreme wear and tear the average life span for a cruiser is only about 3 years. If kept in service beyond that they require very expensive repairs that are not cost effective. You can't have cruisers breaking down when someone needs help. I think the money for the lease is coming from grant money the PD got. As far as the color of the cars there is a very good chance that you will see black and white cruisers around town in a few weeks. Black and white cruisers are pretty much the standard for municipal police in Massachusetts these days.

#4 2009-12-04 15:56:26

It's about time our officers got some updated equipment to keep us and them safe! Dont forget that is what this is really about! Does it really matter anymore what the old chief did! Move past that and be glad this new guy is doing what he can to help our officers! Once again thanks WPD for all your dedication and hardwork to make our town safe!

#5 2009-12-04 16:22:40

This is not about the old chief. This is about the BOS who consciously put these officers at risk on their vindictive quest to get rid of the old chief. Remember the butt monkey telling the old chief that he had to lay off officers when the budget was tight. Remember the "gutless coward" comment. Remember the police union vote of "no confidence" in this board of selectmen. Now the butt monkey has let the funds flow. There is now money for cruisers. There is now money for training. There is now money for a new police station. This board of selectmen should be run out of town for putting these good officers at risk just to make the old chief look bad.
Enough already!
Take back Wareham
April 6, 2010

#6 2009-12-04 17:12:59

maturevoter - leasing is not a capital expenditure. It would  be an annual expense item, either in the the department's budget, or in a general account for, say, vehicle leasing.

thus, it will be voted on as part of a line item in the budget for FY2011 and forward, if I read correctly. For FY10, it sounds as though grant money covers the monthly payments.

rukidding - right on!

Had enough?
Take Back Wareham
April 6, 2010

#7 2009-12-04 21:57:10

rukidding wrote:

This is not about the old chief. This is about the BOS who consciously put these officers at risk on their vindictive quest to get rid of the old chief. Remember the butt monkey telling the old chief that he had to lay off officers when the budget was tight. Remember the "gutless coward" comment. Remember the police union vote of "no confidence" in this board of selectmen. Now the butt monkey has let the funds flow. There is now money for cruisers. There is now money for training. There is now money for a new police station. This board of selectmen should be run out of town for putting these good officers at risk just to make the old chief look bad.
Enough already!
Take back Wareham
April 6, 2010

I think this money is coming from specific grant money, that was to be used for only what the grant said.   TJ had money put aside for emergencies down the road, such as new cruisers and emergency situations (floods, blizzards, hurricanes, etc.)  I don't believe the money is coming from the selectmen, but is it legal to use specified grant money in any way you want, Chief? Their should always be $ to fall back on, will it soon be gone?

#8 2009-12-04 22:43:42

TBL

Keeping money in reserve and turning it back into the town at the end of the fiscal year got the former chief nothing but ridicule. Remember the negative rag article from a few years ago about the PD turning in about 100k at the end of the fiscal year? The new chief would be wise to blow through every penny the town throws his way. It still won't be enough.

#9 2009-12-06 01:58:54

But, the town or BoS are not giving the chief money to spend to improve the department.  The money he is using is from grant money rec'd by the police dept. for specific other things.  Is this legal?  I'm thinking, not.

This money was there through Chief Joyces tenure for emergencies.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-12-06 02:00:09)

#10 2009-12-06 02:57:52

AT THAT TIME CHIEF JOYCE TURNED BACK 100 K ALL DEPTS WERE ORDERED TO CUT BACK AND TURN MONEY BACK BY THE TA  THEY  THE DEPT HEADS HAD NO CHOICE  BUT TO FOLLOW ORDERS AND BORN IS RITE THIS IS CHIEF JOYCE GRANT MONEY WHOM HE GOT FOR OTHER THINGS  AND AFTER ONE YEAR WE WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM OUT OF BUDGET  , MONEY WE DONT HAVE BECAUSE OF THE FISCAL MISMANGMENT OF THE PRESENT SELECTMAN ,YET WE NEED THE CRUISERS ,  VOTE IN APRIL TO GET RID OF THE SELECTMAN AND ALSO THE PRESENT SELECTMAN TARGETED CHIEF JOYCE AND THE DEPT  WITH RACISM CHARGES BECAUSE THEY WANT THE POWER AND DONT WANT A STRONG CHIEF LAW  THEY WANT TOTAL CONTROL AND CHIEF JOYCE WOULD NOT GO ALONG WITH THESE CRAZY SELECTMAN  AND HE IS TO BE COMENDED FOR PUTTING UP A GOOD FIGHT AGAINST THESE NUTS,  SINCE TOWN MEETING VOTED AGAINST THE SELECTMAN AND VOTED FOR A CIVEL SERVICE CHIEF WHEN WILL THE SELECTMAN CALL FOR A CIVEL SERVICE CHIEF TEST , WE NEED A FULL TIME CHIEF , AND STANLEY COULD BE OUR MAN BUT WE NEED A FULL TIME CHIEF .

#11 2009-12-06 14:06:53

ihateliz wrote:

WHEN WILL THE SELECTMAN CALL FOR A CIVEL SERVICE CHIEF TEST , WE NEED A FULL TIME CHIEF.

Right. Does anyone know what the process is now to get that ball rolling? The BoS should be making moves to implement the decisions MADE at TM, instead they are ignoring them. Jane (during ADM discussion 12/1) mentioned she still hopes to see a senior development in the "BDOD" area (I believe)..Is this support for Brucey's comments to add Westfield and Civil Service to the ballot in April (and waste more time while actions should have begun already)?..Get the testing process underway..and start SERIOUSLY looking for alternatives to Westfield. It's been over a month since TM, and has ANYONE seen them make ANY moves to implement the decisions made at TM?

MISREPRESENTATION is what we have.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com