#1 2009-12-01 18:36:50

I heard earlier today that Mr. Tucy's bank called in his loan and forclosed on Maple Park, a significant icon of Wareham for decades. Had Mr. Tucy been allowed to haul sand, operate his business without interference, and wasn't forced to spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary legal expenses, he may have been able to make his payments.
I understand that ADM made an offer to the bank and the bank declined it. Looks like there will be an auction and looks as if there are several developers looking to buy a large tract of land at bargain sale rate.
We all know who we can blame when a thousand or more homes get built and our schools and services are impacted even more than we deal with now.

Last edited by Maturevoter (2009-12-01 18:37:35)

#2 2009-12-01 19:33:19

Mature, what terrible news, perhaps that is the land the BOS are discussing in yet another illegal executive session.

The land that Maple Park sits on has been on the Tucy family for over a century. Maple Park will (hopefully) celebrate its 50th anniversay next year. Many families who camp there are on the third generation of camping.  As a campground there is minimal impact on services, and in fact, Maple Park attracts tourists. More so in the last many years since it became a Yogi Bear park. Hundreds of families are there each week from May to October, many spend their money right in Wareham either at Tedeschi's, ordering from a local take out restaurant, or going to Water Wizz or the bumper car place.

Since I live on the other side of the park I will say my worst nightmare is a 40B developer getting their hands on the 600+ acres that Mr. Tucy owns, but it all comes down to this (in)famous quote: "You get the government you deserve". This is what the good people of Wareham want, or at least, this is what those who vote want. We will all pay for it in one way or another.

If there is one thing I am certain of, the ladies from Maple Springs Road will be quite unhappy if they start building 40B!

#3 2009-12-01 20:49:33

I wrote a letter many moons ago to the Chairman James Potter. In that letter, I stated that if the ladies continued their efforts, Maple Park would end up being sold out to a developer who would put 40B housing and the same ladies will be standing their in front of the board complaining about the traffic. In the process, we would lose a beautiful park that serves so many and is iconic. All these ladies had to do was allow Mr. Tucy to use the road to move the sand out and it would be over with. Instead, thanks to the Selectmen, the hauling was delayed and cost large amounts of money to defend.

I know that this will be another feather in the hats of the Selectmen and I can't wait until April, where they will have to own up to all the damage they have caused to this town and the fine people who work so hard to make it attractive to tourists. We'll bring the tar to go with those feathers.

#4 2009-12-01 23:54:45

Cara Winslow wrote:

"You get the government you deserve". This is what the good people of Wareham want, or at least, this is what those who vote want. We will all pay for it in one way or another.

I was just saying that today. Pretty sad.
April 6, 2010 (Hope springs eternal)

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
April 6, 2010

#5 2009-12-02 00:09:57

Cara Winslow wrote:

Mature, what terrible news, perhaps that is the land the BOS are discussing in yet another illegal executive session.

The land that Maple Park sits on has been in the Tucy family for over a century. Maple Park will (hopefully) celebrate its 50th anniversay next year. Many families who camp there are on the third generation of camping.  As a campground there is minimal impact on services, and in fact, Maple Park attracts tourists. More so in the last many years since it became a Yogi Bear park. Hundreds of families are there each week from May to October, many spend their money right in Wareham either at Tedeschi's, ordering from a local take out restaurant, or going to Water Wizz or the bumper car place.

Since I live on the other side of the park I will say my worst nightmare is a 40B developer getting their hands on the 600+ acres that Mr. Tucy owns, but it all comes down to this (in)famous quote: "You get the government you deserve". This is what the good people of Wareham want, or at least, this is what those who vote want. We will all pay for it in one way or another.

If there is one thing I am certain of, the ladies from Maple Springs Road will be quite unhappy if they start building 40B!

So very sad.  A man and his family that have worked long, hard hours for many years to better this area for everyone.  Some people need to mind their own business.  Look into the mirror, you know who you are.  Can you sleep tonight?  Of course you can.  You feel that you won.  You have cost a man his family business, his lively hood.  You are nothing but evil.  Please, remember that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  I don't have a crystal ball, but your future in Wareham is not wanted.  I think it would be nice, even though it is late, if you left our lovely town.  Cranberry bogs and whatever needs to be done on that property is none of your business.

#6 2009-12-02 00:11:15

Maturevoter wrote:

I heard earlier today that Mr. Tucy's bank called in his loan and forclosed on Maple Park, a significant icon of Wareham for decades. Had Mr. Tucy been allowed to haul sand, operate his business without interference, and wasn't forced to spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary legal expenses, he may have been able to make his payments.
I understand that ADM made an offer to the bank and the bank declined it. Looks like there will be an auction and looks as if there are several developers looking to buy a large tract of land at bargain sale rate.
We all know who we can blame when a thousand or more homes get built and our schools and services are impacted even more than we deal with now.

Another Pine Hills of Plymouth.

#7 2009-12-02 00:12:20

Wasn't this executive session about the Post Office building on Tobey Road?

#8 2009-12-02 11:05:28

If so, I've been told that they want to use the Postal Service building as a police station and also for EMS. Can you even imagine a police cruiser or ambulance trying to get up Tobey Road and onto Cranberry Highway, in the middle of all that traffic. Look to the future when ADM puts up their medical park and hotel. Can you picture that intersection with lots of traffic?

Can't go out the other end towards Decas school when the buses are coming and going. Poorest of all locations, ever, ever, ever.

Secondly, they can't specify a building for any particular purpose. They would have to go out to bid and give anyone else who might have a bulding the opportunity to offer thiers. Of course, they can write the bid with all the specific identities of the postal building, which would cut everyone else out, but they still need to go out to bid, or they violate the public bidding laws.

If they were to lease it from the feds, it may need to go before town meeting. Hopefuly and then we can tell them what fools they are.

#9 2009-12-02 18:49:41

Ideally, it would have more than enough room to house the police dept., with room to grow, if they leave EMS where it is.   I can't tell you how many fender benders there have been at the mall exit, so the police could respond faster.

Only kidding.  I agree, trying to get out of that area for an emergency, will be ridiculous, unless they intend to build a bridge over the mall, to rte. 28.  I shouldn't have said that - the selectmen will probably think that's a great idea.

Actually, why don't they purchase a parcel of Tucy's property.  Talk about speeding vehicles on that street - and it would be 24/7.  Don't forget the sirens and lights.  I lived thru it, you get used to it.

#10 2009-12-02 19:39:18

It is very sad that the Hypocrite Elite is filled with such hatred, they have no idea how to create, only how to destroy.

#11 2009-12-02 20:44:38

I don't think that location would be bad at all for a police station.  First, most of the cruisers are scattered throughout town and on the road when called for an emergency.  Second, emergency services now have the ability to control the lights in order to get through and to control traffic when neccesary.  (Didn't the developer of Wareham Crossing have to pay for that technology not only in Wareham but down route 6 in Marion?)

The police definately need a better facility but considering the finanical situation this is not a bad alternative if it can be pulled off.

#12 2009-12-03 00:06:09

IndependentVoice wrote:

I don't think that location would be bad at all for a police station.  First, most of the cruisers are scattered throughout town and on the road when called for an emergency.  Second, emergency services now have the ability to control the lights in order to get through and to control traffic when neccesary.  (Didn't the developer of Wareham Crossing have to pay for that technology not only in Wareham but down route 6 in Marion?)

The police definately need a better facility but considering the finanical situation this is not a bad alternative if it can be pulled off.

You hear a lot of calls on the scanner - "car # leaving the station now." If other cars are tied up, it's easier to get onto 28 from the station, with lights and sirens going.  Understand, it isn't the fast cruiser I'm concerned about, these folks have been trained.  But, try to get around  the cars at the end of Tobey at 28 when they have a red light.  The controls won't help them there.  If they have to go via Main St. in either direction, the roads are not condusive to citizens pulling over safely in some spots.  Yes, they do use these same roads a lot going to emergencies, but I'm wondering how much longer to get to a call and it won't just be the occasional rescue call going by these homes, it will be all day and night.  EMS will have to stop on Lincoln Hill's 3 way stop sign, etc.  Yes, the space is there and plenty of it and I don't want to sound negative, but I think the answers will come from the police officers and the EMTs themselves in the end.  When Bruce wants to go into executive session about this, I just don't have a good feeling about it.

#13 2009-12-03 03:15:35

TBL

The post office building would be great for a police station with plenty of room for expansion. With respect to those that mentioned concerns about cruisers responding to calls from the police station. Like someone else already pointed out, cruisers are scattered around town. Police departments do not operate like fire departments. The police don't sit in the station waiting for a call, they are already out on the road. Sure sometimes the police respond from the station at the begining of the shift or if they are doing a report in the station. But other than those exceptions they are not in the station. I do think it would be a bad idea to put EMS on Tobey Road unless a much needed second ambulance is going to be manned. The EMS station on Sandwich Road is centrally located and provides the best coverage for a town that staffs only one full time ambulance. I would not want to have to wait for an ambulance to respond from Tobey Road if I lived in Shangri la.

Last edited by TBL (2009-12-03 03:17:32)

#14 2009-12-04 16:42:59

Last edited by Bryanne Tucy (2009-12-04 16:59:46)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com