#1 2009-11-13 18:59:34

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/2006-10-12-Thu-3-52-22-pm_Russell_Baker.jpg

Russell Baker, the last Wareham Gibbs occupying the same home for 270 years, died recently at the age of 84. We were distant cousins, friends and neighbors. I don't know what'll become of his house. 

http://buzzardsbay.net/discuss/gibbs_gallery/image/11-gibbsave-com.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

Last edited by billw (2009-11-14 00:01:06)

#2 2009-11-13 19:16:13

Buddha Boo!!!

#3 2009-11-13 19:22:42

I drive by that house all the time but can't figure out where it is, guess I still need to catch up on some sleep!

#4 2009-11-13 20:39:51

Looks like a historical site to me!!

#5 2009-11-13 20:50:56

I believe Russell had contacted the Historical Society a while ago.

#6 2009-11-13 23:13:54

MsLilly wrote:

Buddha Boo!!!

miss lilly are you forming a negative aspest to those of us who find Buddha as our i dont want to  say god as Buddha never clamed to be a god. buy you just brought religion into the descussion . You cant stay out of troubble can you. stayout of my religion. that is one freedom you can not clam to be a town problem.

#7 2009-11-13 23:25:15

kinsailman wrote:

MsLilly wrote:

Buddha Boo!!!

miss lilly are you forming a negative aspest to those of us who find Buddha as our i dont want to  say god as Buddha never clamed to be a god. buy you just brought religion into the descussion . You cant stay out of troubble can you. stayout of my religion. that is one freedom you can not clam to be a town problem.

Russell Baker was a personal friend of my family's since before I was born...his nickname was "boo da boo"...I was trying to spell it phonetically...

Go ahead, accuse me of racism now...

Pathetic...

#8 2009-11-13 23:33:05

I am sorry but "Buddha Boo!!!" is not "Boo da Boo" pay attention to what you want to say so you do not hurt the feelings of others . You are just like sleger just put it out there dont care how it looks think befor you speak or type. you are the one who made the big mistake not me.

#9 2009-11-13 23:47:20

kinsailman wrote:

I am sorry but "Buddha Boo!!!" is not "Boo da Boo" pay attention to what you want to say so you do not hurt the feelings of others . You are just like sleger just put it out there dont care how it looks think befor you speak or type. you are the one who made the big mistake not me.

The only mistake I made was replying to your nonsense...shalom...

#10 2009-11-14 00:00:58

I am sorry are you Jewish now. Lets get it right you dont know where you belong. My belife in Buddha is not nonsense. and your insult is not what i expected from you. What I commented on was not nonsense.

#11 2009-11-14 00:31:56

Russell was adamantly gay and endured lots worse from this small town than comparisons to a god worshipped by millions. I lost count of the insults kids my age called him behind his back. To his face, they'd have had a fight they'd lose. Anyway, Russell was a good friend and I'll miss him.

#12 2009-11-14 01:00:41

Bill, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend/family...and thanks for bringing a little perspective.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#13 2009-11-14 16:24:54

BillW...I knew your cousin.
I didn't know about his sexuality, nor did I ever care, because he was one of the funniest SOB's I have ever known
Sorry for your loss.
Let me know how much they want for the house.

#14 2009-11-14 21:10:11

Bill sorry for your loss. I have precious few left from our history. When all is said and done....we do have a great many memories.

Steve

#15 2009-11-15 04:24:40

Bill, that was a very nice tribute to a very nice and funny man.  I was close to the Sempos family and he would always be at the old Town & Country Cleaners on Main St., working at whatever they needed to have done.  He was a bit of a comic, had a great smile and treated us well.  He was very close to an aunt of ours and Mrs. Cooney took good care of him.

We had a yard sale one day and this aunt brought Russell out to go yard saleing with her.  We agreed that she made the best sugar cookies ever.  He told me that he had so much "stuff" in his house from family members, but he couldn't resist a yard sale.  I suggested he have a yard sale of his own and he said if he ever did and anyone tried to buy anything, he would tell them no because he couldn't part with anything.  We chuckled.  I never saw him after that, and when our aunt passed away his yard sale partner was gone forever.

We all knew he was gay, even as children, but I never remember any one calling him names.  Maybe because I hung with the nicer kids, but it saddens me to find out now what he went through.  He will be missed.

I would walk home from school some days and always pass his house.  I always loved it's style.

#16 2009-11-15 18:05:03

BillW,
I always heard Russell referred to as "Birdbath"...any insight to the origin of the name??

#17 2009-11-15 18:20:54

slagisDB wrote:

BillW,
I always heard Russell referred to as "Birdbath"...any insight to the origin of the name??

No, I wasn't joking when I said I lost track of all the nicknames Russell acquired. Truth is, I knew Cecil Baker, Russell's dad, better. Cecil had diabetes, was skinny as a rail and once he retired, walked all over town every day to keep it in check. The Baker's were agreeable, socialable folks, and everyone seemed to know them.

#18 2009-11-16 11:36:37

I also knew Russell and "bird bath" and "boo da boo" bring back a lot of memories.  He was a very generous and kind man.  I don't know the origin of either of these names but I know he would always call our dog and any dog "boo da boo" when greeting the dogs.

He was a story teller, a comedian and lived a full life.  I think he held off painting his house for all these years because he was afraid it would improve the property value -- thus require him to pay more taxes!! Typical Russell.

#19 2009-11-20 12:19:21

Always a shame when someone close passes away.  My sympathies.

I pass by that house all the time.  I didn't know anyone lived there.  Sad to find out this way.

I noticed in another thread that Ms. Lilly was banned from this website.  I think her last post is in this thread.  However I can no longer find the thread that mentions banning her.  Ms. Lilly offered some of the most substantive conversations to this site.  So what happened?  I heard something about there being complaints from 3 unnamed emailers.

I hope it had nothing to do with what she posted on this thread.  All seems pretty harmless to me especially compared to what else is found here.

#20 2009-11-20 12:25:16

Onsetdolt..go "F" yourself, I think..

At least it's free here, so when your banned, whatever the reason..the administrator doesn't happily walk off with your cash..it's not moderated (or manipulated) by said administrator either.

Go bow to your demi-God.. "Hail to Bobo, Hail to Bobo"

Oh, did I mention you should go "F" yourself? Cuz you should. Twice.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#21 2009-11-20 12:35:30

P-SPAN,

Thank you for making my point.

I was under the misguided notion from ACO that this is a place where folks can express themselves in an unsensored manner.  I guess that shoe only fits if the views expressed are in line with what the Take Back Wareham crowd deems is allowed.

I wonder, did Ms Lilly's final posts approach the incivility that yours do?

Oh Well.

#22 2009-11-20 12:39:36

To quote myself toward the recently, reasonably quiet "CoachTP"...You are a "Zombie Follower" and you should "Eat Me"..apologies to the faint of heart..
You wanted trouble, right? I'm your Huckleberry, dingleberry.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-20 12:47:47)

#23 2009-11-20 12:44:30

Nope.  I just want the truth.  Is that not welcome here P-SPAN / Co-Webmaster?

#24 2009-11-20 12:45:59

"You can't handle the truth!" - no vid needed this time.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#25 2009-11-20 12:51:48

About what I expected.

#26 2009-11-20 13:43:30

Please, guys. Let it go. There wasn't and isn't a Wareham resident less interested than Russell in local squabbles.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com