#1 2009-11-19 08:55:30

It's that time of the year when families and friends come together for Thanksgiving.I thought it might be fun to tell us about your annual traditions for the Holiday!!

Steve

#2 2009-11-19 10:07:50

When we lived in Europe, we had huge Thanksgiving celebrations. My parents would invite some of the young soliers (and their families) that worked with my father and it was not uncommon to have 20 people at our house. It was a giant spread with two turkeys, all the side dishes and 4 or 5 pies. We would always follow up dinner with a spirited game of touch (always turned into tackle football) game in the field across from the house. Germans obviously don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but the neighbors would bake something and come join the festivities.

Looking back, it was very important for the young men and their families to have a place to go. I am sure it can get lonely overseas away from their families. Because of the time difference and no ESPN in those days, we would get football games a week after they were played on Armed Forces TV. We would watch them like it was LIVE.

I have to say there is nothing like 20 people sitting around a giant table sharing food and conversation and forgetting about being thousands of miles from home.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com