#1 2009-11-13 06:24:58

Isn't it common practice for good managers who want to rotate employees in a department to rotate one employee and when that employee gets up to speed then rotate another. This complete upheaval of the detective department seems very poor judgement in my opinion.

#3 2009-11-13 09:31:12

A good new manager, boss or chief in this case will make an observation of the existing structures, policies, procedures and personel and then decide what is working and what is not working.  I think you then weave in your own style and past experience and make any necessary changes.

It appears that is what he has done here.  Change is not always popular; especially when implemented by an "outsider" but good leaders make those changes anyway despite what may not be perceived as popular.

Politics aside, I think he has the toughest job in Wareham.  For a town the size of Wareham, the types of crimes, violent incidents, drugs and domestic disputes is off the charts.  Blend the politics and limited budget back into the mix and I think it is hard to disagree that this is the most demanding job in town.

#4 2009-11-13 10:08:59

IV, I agree with what you wrote. But, doesn't Wareham deserve a FT Chief..and one that doesn't live in North Andover and is already their FT Chief..and does the BoS bidding at our TM and "political rally's" sponsored by our dysfunctional leadership?

Offer him the FT position if he's so great..if he declines, find someone else asap.
My take.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-11-13 10:09:24)

#5 2009-11-13 11:43:07

Get a real Chief, Civil Service, street cop and put him to work 40 hours at least a week, probably 60.
Just imagine what a good man could do with that opportunity, and maybe even be from Wareham, or a Town or two away so they know how to get there without a GPS device.
After they are hired, MAKE then move into Wareham if they are nor residents now.
Now....that would be a great start!!

#6 2009-11-16 11:43:31

PShooter wrote:

IV, I agree with what you wrote. But, doesn't Wareham deserve a FT Chief..and one that doesn't live in North Andover and is already their FT Chief..and does the BoS bidding at our TM and "political rally's" sponsored by our dysfunctional leadership?

Offer him the FT position if he's so great..if he declines, find someone else asap.
My take.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Yes but maybe this is the best way to handle the situation considering the urgency with the police department; while taking the proper time to hire the eventual FT chief.  If he doesn't want the job...and who says he IS the right guy...then I hope a search for a FT chief is a high priority and is already underway.

#7 2009-11-16 13:20:49

If I understand it correctly, they have to test (Civil Service) first before anything else..and I believe I read April is the earliest for that (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Add to this that BS wants to put it on the ballot in April, the iChief telling the Eagle Tribune it's until next August (and we're the ugly sister-paraphrasing, ok??)..
He might be a great chief (as far as chiefing goes), but the whole thing sucks if you ask me, and it's another example of BoS mismanagement to the overall detriment of Wareham..y'know, us??

I'm not disagreeing with you IV..I'm just beyond the "glass is half full" point with these (insert colorful word here).

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-16 13:26:31)

#8 2009-11-16 18:42:20

If this iChief is thinking the current situation is going on until August, he must think this BOS will be in place after April. That is a bit presumptuous don't you think? Once this town gets a regime change the Butt Monkey and his iChief are gone. Remember

HAD ENOUGH YET?
TAKE BACK WAREHAM.
FOCUS!

#9 2009-11-16 19:02:21

Should Mr. Savageau put the question on the April ballot, assuming that the taxpayers vote to continue civil service, wouldn't this chief have to   take the exam for Wareham and have to be in the top highest three scorers?

Even if it does not go on the ballot, and a test for the police chief is called for wouldn't the interim chief  have to take the Wareham test and have to be in the top three?

Either way, what little I know, Stanley would have to take the Wareham test if this position was kept Civil Service, would he not?

I think we should be pressuring the Selectmen to call for a test.

#10 2009-11-16 19:10:02

rukidding wrote:

HAD ENOUGH YET?
TAKE BACK WAREHAM.
FOCUS!

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#11 2009-11-16 22:23:18

Maturevoter wrote:

I think we should be pressuring the Selectmen to call for a test.

I've heard that a test is to be called for as soon as an Interim is appointed.  Wasn't that back in the summer?

#12 2009-11-17 02:20:15

IndependentVoice wrote:

PShooter wrote:

My take.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Yes but maybe this is the best way to handle the situation considering the urgency with the police department; while taking the proper time to hire the eventual FT chief.  If he doesn't want the job...and who says he IS the right guy...then I hope a search for a FT chief is a high priority and is already underway.

The BOS already know who they want as chief.  You have a more than qualified Lt. who could have take over for a year.  If the selectmen weren't happy with what he produced, then they could look elsewhere.  The only problem of not being the RIGHT guy is because he's being painted with the same brush as Tommy Joyce was and that is NOT fair.  They only have a PT chief until they win the battle of NO CIVIL SERVICE FOR ANY CHIEF.  Once they win that, you will see a new chief.  Probably another Bozo, like the librarian and ITM applicants.

#13 2009-11-17 02:35:53

Eagle-Tribune: Our view: Town's OK with 4-day chief

Stanley said last week that Wareham likely won't hire a new chief until next August, which will give him a year on that job. The arrangement will sweeten Stanley's pension when he retires — likely next year.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-17 09:01:40)

#14 2009-11-17 10:09:10

Since the position falls under the jurisdiction of Civil Service perhaps we've all been barking up the wrong tree. Maybe we should be barking at the Civil Service Commissioner and asking him/her to take the appropriate action to either sanction the town for not following procedure or to pressure them to enforce the civil service requirements.  A vote by the town's legislative body has spoken. To wait until April for a ballot vote and then to bring it back in the fall is too long a time to act in good faith to follow civil service law. I'm sure Civil Servie will view this as a political agenda and take an appropriate stance against the town.

Can a Chief hold two civil service positions at he same time?  A good question to ask Civil Service. If this has never happened before and if this will set a precedent, then perhaps they will come down on Stanley and force him to choose one full time position or one part time position. I don't think they would want every civil service employee to be able to hold two positions at the same time.

Perhaps many calls to Boston will instigate the Commissioner to act?

#15 2009-11-17 14:36:59

You always have very good and smart things to say, Mature.
You should think about running for office.

#16 2009-11-17 16:02:34

Here is my 2 cents on the detective shifting bit which I haven't even seen mentioned on this site, I don't think, unless I missed it.

Look who the detectives were who were "not demoted" but were pushed back to patrol duty.  See any former bos members there who just might have considered Mary Jane P a friend? See anyone who might have supported the current board's opponents in their elections?  See anyone who has been in the department for a long time particularly since this bos has had so many "problems" with the PD--being the "racists" and "gutless cowards" and "cheating husbands" that they are? --That's according to the bos, not my opinion. 

See a bos who get way involved in day to day? If they couldn't screw over the PD with the computer audit--to catch all those crazy ebay buyers and don't say it---evil bloggers--then get them this way.  Hard feelings, disappointments, people not enjoying their work, can really affect morale.

Of course, this is just my opinion and just speculation on my part. This bos knows how to wear you down so you no longer want to work for this town. Then they either replace you with totally unqualified people, or don't replace you at all. So far, it has been working beautifully---for the bos. Let's not let them decimate our police department too. I think this just might be the beginning. If the part time chief is looking to come to the big bad W. full time or wanting the big bucks in additional pay as long as possible, then what better way than to do the bidding of the bos? Again, just my opinion as I have no hard evidence to prove this.

#17 2009-11-17 16:34:22

One thing that gets me is the people in North Andover are pissed off he's "only" there four days but....He's here for what?? 2 or 3 days a week, and nobody says "Boo". What's he getting paid? What benefits? Cruiser, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle...It started as a bad move (IMO), and will end up that way too..If they needed a civil service test to move forward why wasn't it done asap??

Not only do people get so fed up that they don't want to work for the Town, it's easy to get so fed up with the mismanagement that you want to "just quit" too..We can't, that's what they're hoping. Don't give them what want. Do they give "you" what you want? Not me.

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#18 2009-11-17 18:09:03

P-Span is the MAN!
I am HAMATRON5000.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com