#1 2009-11-16 22:47:10

We all know that Larry, Liz and Steve have been working hard to collect food and clothes for those in need. There are so many wonderful charities in our beautiful community, all looking for help this time of year. There are two stories on wickedlocal.com, one for Kid Komfort Kits and the other for the Dick Melloni Toy Drive. As other good causes come about, or if someone is hosting an event, please post here so we keep them in one spot (sound good?)

For me, my heart aches for the children at Christmas, let's remember how many families are struggling this year. For many families who celebrate Christmas it is very difficult to explain to children why Santa didn't make it to their house when they have been good all year. This economy has left many with precious little, and there will be many children facing a slimmer Christmas this year (mine included!) But, it is one thing to have less under the tree (I told my daughter that Santa had to lay off some elves in the bad economy - she seemed fine with that explanation, lol) then to have nothing under the tree.

Here are the links:
Kid Komfort Kits
http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/town … ds-in-need
Dick Melloni Toy Drive Dinner/Dance
http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/fun/ … nner-Dance

#2 2009-11-16 23:18:51

Good idea Cara. Do you know where some kids might enjoy (possibly cases of, but my child may not be pleased)..well preserved toys. I'm sure I could coax a couple of boxes out of 'em that could easily be wrapped and any kid would be thrilled with (I would hope)..There's an island of misfit toys, let's get them together with kids who'll love them..If you know..let me know, please.

"I wanna be a dentist!"..."A DENTIST???"

P-SPAN
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by P-SPAN (2009-11-17 00:28:57)

#3 2009-11-17 02:00:01

Larry, Liz & Steve are the doers.  When they say let's do, they follow through.
I myself have three bags of good winter clothes to still deliver. Saturday was
not a day we could be there to drop them off.

Lee & Sally work hand in hand at Turning Point.  They have people that volunteer and spend their own money shopping for families and are able to spend a little more on specific items asked for by the children.  They do an awesome job all year long.

The "FIRE CHIEF DICK MELLONI TOY DRIVE" also works with Turning Point &
their Kid Komfort Kits.  Sometimes they can provide the clothes, and the Melloni Toy Drive will supply the toys.  Each circumstance is different.

We depend on donations of new toys and boxes are set up in businesses around town to drop off a new, unwrapped toy.  The annual Melloni Toy Drive dinner and the Melloni Youth Foundation's generous donations, make it possible to buy toys all year long.  Right after Christmas, our volunteers are out there shopping for all toys on sale.  Some businesses offer marked down toys to us.  They shop sales all year long.  Unfortunately, we can not afford dvd's, cd's or items along that line.  But, our toys are great!  We need to spread the word that any parent that needs toys for their children, to please call 508-295-0089 (Sassy Swirls) and apply for toys.  They only need give their name, address & phone # and give us a hint of what their children are interested in.  An alternate # to call is 508-295-1221, Mrs. Sybil Melloni.  In order to be successful, we ask that only the custodial parent, legal guardian, grandparent with legal custody or foster care parents apply.  We have a delivery date of Dec. 18th.  Wareham and Onset firemen donate their time and vehicles to deliver the gifts.  Call now, so our volunteers can shop, pack and deliver by the 18th.  By the way, last year we made Christmas for not 500 children, but over 700, the highest count ever.  It isn't easy taking these calls from parents.  Your heart just aches for them and many, many times I get off the phone and the parent and I are both in tears.  No child should think that Santa forgot them.

As for P-SPAN, I don't know of anyone that takes used toys except the Salvation Army.  I remember years ago, firemen would fix toys to almost brand new, while on duty & waiting for the fire whistle.  It would be nice if we had some crafty seniors that do repairs like that (or younger people) and at Christmas time they could set them out for anyone to buy for the cost of supplies or to be given for free.  Just a thought.

One more thing.  Toys for Tots has boxes around in the bigger department stores.  Please, anyone contributing to this organization needs to know that these toys are not distributed locally.  They are only for children from the Boston area.         Thank you.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com