#1 2009-11-13 09:03:12

One of the most sacred rights under the law is "innocent until proven guilty". Along with that right comes another simple fact, the burden of proof is on the accuser. During the past few weeks, a reporter has leveled serious charges against the trustees of the library between 1995-2005. Most importantly, this reporter has named only one trustee, Mary Jane Pillsbury in his scathing editorials and interview with a former trustee who has chosen to hide their identity. It is important to note that Mrs. Pillsbury is deceased and the reporter behind the editorial and interviews has a history of scathing editorials directed at the library trustees.  This same reporter is now calling on citizens of Wareham to force an investigation into the allegations without offering up one single piece of credible evidence. As a citizen and a taxpayer, I do not want to see my tax dollars spent investigating unfounded allegations. Our financial difficulties are well documented and it is simply not our place to pursue this on the local level.

Tax Fraud is a federal crime and should be investigated by the IRS criminal investigation division, not at the local level. These seasoned professionals are experts in their field. In order to proceed with an investigation, the IRS CID should be contacted by the accuser and all information should be turned over to this office. The fact that others may believe or choose not to believe the reporter behind the allegation is not relevant. It is encumbent on the accuser to present their evidence in a factual manner and have the witnesses interviewed by the authorites at the IRS CID. If these experts conclude there is enough evidence to proceed, then there will be an investigation. It is important to note that if the allegations are proven to be false, charges will be filed against the accuser. if the allegations are proven to be true, then charges will be filed against the trustees. It's as simple as that.

There have been statements by this reporter that do not make sense. He claims he fears for his life because of his editorial and accusations. If that is the case, why did he print this editorial on the front page of a local newspaper? In the interview, the informant also states that they fear for their life. Would it not have been more strategic to approach the proper authorities and allow them to protect your identities during the investigation? If your intent was to bring a dark secret to light in an effort to assist the fine citizens of Wareham, why would you publish a report and ask others to call for an investigation? We certainly do not have the evidence and informants you claim to have. For any citizen to come forward and request an investigation without evidence will result in absolutely nothing. The only person who holds the key to unlock the door to an investigation is this reporter and his informants.  To sit back and wait for the authorities to come to him shows a peculiar lack of duty or responsibility.

Whether this reporter is to be believed or ignored is not the issue. The issue here is responsibility. It is not the responsibility of the former trustees to defend themselves because there is no investigation or charges filed. It is not the repsonsibility of the citizens or the Selectmen to call for an investigation. It is the responsbility of the reporter that is in question. If you accuse others of a crime, you must be willing to stand up in front of the proper authorities and state your case. If you are not willing to do that, then why make the allegations in the first place?

I'm asking the citizens of Wareham and the Selectmen to encourage the reporter and his informants to go to the proper authorities, The IRS CID, and state these allegations in an effort to begin an investigation. I don't believe our local government should undertake an investigation we simply cannot afford (based on the current financial situation and lack of tangible proof) when the proper authority is at the federal level.

Last edited by Larry McDonald (2009-11-13 09:11:56)

#2 2009-11-13 10:10:08

Well said, Larry.

Might we add the State's Attorney General to the list for BoBo et al to contact? They would take such allegations seriously, at least until the so-called evidence falls apart.

It would also be a requirement for an organization doing charitable work to qualify as a tax-exempt organization at the State level (exempt from State & local taxes), through the AG's office. Has he accused any organizations that are not part of the Town goverment in this scheme?

both the IRS CID, and the State AG have the resouces and experienced personnel to conduct proper reviews and/or investigations. Or, there's always Brucie & Brenda, fresh off their Town-wide computer audit, right? OK, maybe not.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look as though some sort of outside investigation will be forthcoming. It is hard, after all, to prove a negative, without something solid.

It is called McCarthyism, after the Wisconsin Senator from the 1950's: "I have in my hand a list of 57 members of the Communist Party...working in the State Department." the number changed over time. But after years of Senate hearings, of McCarthy's speeches & accusations, it all came to damn little. Except headlines and divisiveness, and it gave us a term we all understand.

Robert Slager: you are being accused here and now of McCarthyism.

Don't stand behind the editorial shield, as the Senator stood behind the microphone over 50 years ago! Stand up and deliver the "proof" that you claim exists to the proper authorities, as illustrated herein.

Otherwise, it is just another sad case of McCarthyism.

#3 2009-11-13 10:30:07

Nota,
I believe Federal trumps State in this case. If the CID of the IRS chooses not to investigate, then they could approach the AG. In either case, it is the responsibility of the accuser to provide the evidence. If the Selectmen decide to proceed with their own investigation, they stand the risk of further alienating the citizens of this town by taking jurisdiction over an investigation that is clearly not within their scope.

I have my beliefs and opinions, but they really don't matter in this case. It's a simple as my wife says, "put up or shut up". He can hide but if the citizens of this town (and the Selectmen) stand up and say :
"whether we believe you or not, you have to take the lead on this as you are the accuser"

Then Bobo better be ready to back up his opinions with facts.

#4 2009-11-13 10:44:00

Larry, you've said it best. I suggest you send that to all three newspapers, inculding Mr. Slager's as a Letter to the Editor.  The reason I say to send it to Mr. Slager's paper is that his readers deserve to hear this as well. If he prints it, it will prove he wants what is best for Wareham. If he chooses not to, it will prove that he is only trying to compete with the National Enquirer.

#5 2009-11-13 10:46:22

As you wish Mature. I have also emailed a copy to our Selectmen! :)

#6 2009-11-13 13:16:50

At this point, I am absolutely sick of the BS that has taken over Wareham. We have sky high legal bills and the Selectmen continue to make personnel choices and mistakes that do nothing sink this town further into despare.

I hope the Selectmen recognize the latest controversy for what it is, an attempt to discredit a good organization.

I'm going to bow out for awhile and concentrate some important issues that affect my life. I will keep up with what's going on, but posting here is going to take a backseat for awhile.

Keep up the fight!

#7 2009-11-13 13:23:21

Larry, very well put. I certainly agree with the comment about charges being filed. As a town we should be ready to file charges against the party who is wrong here. For any alleged reporter to run with a story such as this with only an alleged single source is irresponsible. I also think that if Slager refuses to go to the proper authorities and tell all by Tuesday's meeting, the selectmen should immediately stop all advertising in his alleged paper. For any one alleged reporter to make such allegations, without being held accountable for his words would be irresponsible on the town's part.

#8 2009-11-13 13:54:55

IF SLAGER HAD ONE OUNCE OF EVIDENCE A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY WILL TAKE THIS CASE WITH NO COST TO THE TOWN. NONE.

#9 2009-11-13 15:48:56

Larry.

please hurry back. I'll miss ya......

#10 2009-11-13 23:34:07

Sometimes you can get so close to something that you can't see it, and I think that has happened to  a lot of us who  regularly "belly-up to the bar" here at Bill W's Pub.

I think there are people who really believe there is a whistle blower  ex- trustee.

I believe that it's possible that there's an ex trustee out there who disliked MJP  enough to blow  a  whistle IF there was something to justify blowing a  whistle, and that she's the one Slager transformed and pretended to interview this past week. I would bet my best kayak that Slager was interviewing Slager.  I think that the Slager I've been studying for the past three years has fictionalized a real person. The "real"  one was lacking in incriminating evidence, so....not to worry.....he made up the story of  The Ledger From Hell. Perfect. His demeaning view of women makes him confident that  the other trustees will gossip and fingerpoint, thereby strengthening his fabrication.  He has a long history of making us believe that yanking out his fingernails one by one would not make him reveal his source,  but his real "safety" rests in two facts: The ledger never existed, and the person who could prove that it never existed is dead. Now all he has to do is  make us believe that a document that never existed has been stolen. Aha!! The "fact" that  something that never was there ,isn't there ,makes his lie come true !

How is an "investigation" going to go anywhere?     What is there to investigate that hasn't already been investigated? .......Ah!..... The Ledger That Never Was will become Exhibit A.

It makes you realize how  "nice" people... like the ones who believe a ledger existed.... can send innocent people to jail.

Last edited by Dick Wheeler (2009-11-13 23:42:06)

#11 2009-11-13 23:45:56

to day is friday the 13th and mr slager ( i am being polite) an Ms Lilly are pushing there postes to the limit. They may find that Friday the 13 will be the worst day in there lifes more than the Templers that caused this day to be call a bad day. Yes Mr. Slager you now have to look that one up also. and I am sure you  will get  it wrong or twist it more than mr. brown has done. go for it at leat it would get you off of wareham may be the flat earth job will keep you out of town also. so long good by.

#12 2009-11-14 07:23:36

/

Last edited by ihateliz (2009-11-14 07:25:28)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com