#66 2009-10-24 19:29:27

Well put, bornof...

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#67 2009-10-24 20:31:19

Breaking news......(que the music Hamm)

This reporter has just received a tip from a very reliable source. My source informs me that the administration of town government has circulated a flyer on the town email system sponsporing a coat collection in cooperation with Old Nay. For every old coat you turn in, you will get a 10% coupon to the store. This memo came out shortly after the discussion on this thread began. It appears the powers that run this town find the best ideas on this site! Given that they haven't had an original thought on their own, we are to be commended for offering our services.

The good news is that all those who need winter coats will benefit from this effort. The very sad news is that they had to resort to reading this site because they are not capable of an original thought.

It is too bad they won't take our suggestion to resign!

Rip Dinkle........Bad form!

#68 2009-10-24 20:37:06

If anyone knows of someone who is in financial trouble they should know they can call the COA and if they meet the financial requirements they can get help with their heating bills. They can call the COA and make an appointment to sign up for fuel assistance. I read in one of the papers that most communities are expecting twice as many people this year. This program is not just for seniors.  You do have to call for an appointment and they will tell you all the paperwork you have to bring. I think they have the list of what you need to bring on the town web site. The program starts Nov 1.

I don’t play golf but maybe next spring someone could set up a golf tournament for one of the charities people have mentioned. I’m sure Bay Pointe would be happy to help

Last edited by marny (2009-10-24 20:37:35)

#69 2009-10-24 20:40:39

We are talking about giving the needy clothing for free. A retail store is offering essentially a discount on clothing. The people we are talking about don't have ANY MONEY for clothing.
That is why we are DONATING the items to them.
Why don't you just say that a restaurant is giving a 20% discount on soup?
So what...they can't afford ANYTHING.
God almighty, what the hell has happened in Wareham?

#70 2009-10-24 20:59:53

Dan,
The way I read Rip's report is that anyone that turns in an old coat gets a coupon for 10%. The old coats will be given to those in need.

It looks like they come here for information and ideas.

#71 2009-10-24 21:16:19

Hey Rip! Why don't we all resign our positions, turn ourselves in to the proper authorites (if necessary), confess our sins and plead mercy for our very souls. Gee, I hope the hypocrite elite aren't going to read this and copy the idea. Noooo, we wouldn't want that would we?

Oh yeah, we should quit drinking and pay our taxes, too..

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-25 00:31:09)

#72 2009-10-24 21:22:47

I love you all!
Lord, I wish I was there Monday night!

#73 2009-10-24 21:26:49

It's okay Biff.  We know you will be there in spirit.  Thanks for all your inspiration, too.

Don't stop.

#74 2009-10-24 21:58:20

Rip, are you serious?  Do you have a copy of that email?  If true that's.....interesting.  Odd, very odd, but interesting nonetheless.

#75 2009-10-25 00:23:19

Bornof...you know that you are one of my favorite people...kissy, kissy...

#76 2009-10-25 00:59:35

Old Nayy is saying that if we who have what we need want to give up our old clothing (winter coats or such) we get a 10 per sent discount on what we want to purchace new. not a bad deal. we all get something in return. it is a give give situation not something to look at as bad everyone wins. go for it.

#77 2009-10-25 01:02:40

some of the people who need the help are sitting next to you in church tomorrow morning  and don't want to tell you.  look around. we are all in need of some kind of help. some more than others.

#78 2009-10-29 21:57:07

I promised to put this information up on Tuesday, but after town meeting I just wanted to sit and not think.  These charities and the phone numbers are all from one year ago.  I believe they are still current.

CRN (Community Resource Network)    508-295-0080  They help with fuel, food and Thanksgiving food baskets.  There is a cutoff date for the baskets, but I do not have the date.  The baskets last year were picked up at the Congregational Church Hall on Gibbs Avenue on the date they give you when you sign up.  I am most certain that they will accept food, but please call first.

Emmanuel Church of the Nazarene, Rogers Ave. (off Sandwich Road) in East Wareham.  They offer free clothing.  They also accept clothing. 
508-295-9268

Last year, the Salvation Army gave food vouchers.  They were distributed from the Four Square Church, in Onset.  508-291-1595.  I do not have the phone number of the Salvation Army in Wareham.

Turning Point, 6 Rogers Ave. at  the Emmanuel Church of the Nazarene.  Ask for Lee at 508-291-0535.  Turning Point helps the near homeless and the homeless.  The best time to reach them is Monday thru Friday, between
9:00am and 12:00 noon.

Bourne Food Pantry - 508-759-3351.   Anne Marie Riley

Sisters of Charity, New Bedford     508-997-7347

United Way - two ways to contact them.  1-800-231-4377 or just dial 211

Catholic Charities Basic Needs - they consider homeless as a basic need.
     covering: Wareham, Dartmouth, Fall River 1-508-997-7337
     covering:  Hyannis  1-508-771-6771
     covering:  Fall River  1-508-674-4681

COA - Council on Aging  Deb Ramos      508-291-3100 ext.6534/3130
     You may also ask for Gert, who is very knowledgable on senior affairs.

St. Patrick's Church, High Street, Wareham.  Call 508-295-2411 and ask for
     Judy.  I believe on Wednesday and Friday they have a free food pantry.
     She will have the times and they also have a free lunch of soup and sand-
     which on Wednesday's at noon, but please confirm with Judy.

The Church of the Good Shephard on High St. in Wareham. I believe they
     have a food pantry once a month, on a Tuesday.  To confirm, call 508-
     295-2840.

S.H.I.N.E.    This has something to do with Senior's in need.  The COA office 
     can give you information on this.  The SHINE councillor is Jean and is at 
     the COA on Friday's by appointment.  508-291-3100 ext.3130

Social Security   They come to Wareham at the Multi-Service Center on the
     3rd Wednesday of the month. Hours are 9-noon & 1-4pm. Call the COA
     to confirm day and time.

W.W.W. - Women's Aid, Inc. of Wareham  -  I know they have collected 
     wrapping paper for the Melloni Toy Drive, but I will have to find out who
     the contact person is this year.

Damien's Pantry - St Vincent de Paul Society.  I know they have moved and I
     do not have the new location.  They did have their days on Tuesday,
     Thursday and Saturday.  Hours were from 10-12noon.  I am positive
     someone on this sight has better information on this than I do.  Damien's
     Pantry does require proof of residence and your food stamp card.

THE DICK MELLONI MEMORIAL TOY DRIVE:  phone applications to Sassy
     Swirls at 508-295-0089, Linda or Sandi will take your application. You may
     also call Mr. Melloni's widow, Sybil at 508-295-1221.  Questions are asked
     of all applicants. Only custodial parents or grandparents my apply.  They
     do help legal foster parents.  Sometimes special circumstances occur and
     they will help.  They try not to turn any child away and even if an applicant
     is denied, they try to get toys to the children for Christmas.  On a set
     delivery date, the Onset & Wareham Firemen donate their time and vehicles
     to deliver the toys to different areas of town.  This toy drive started for
     the Christmas of 1993 and last Christmas (2008) they hit their all time
     high of 720 children receiving multiple toys.  Teenagers must be enrolled
     in school to be considered for gifts, unless there are special circumstances.
     New, unwrapped gifts are donated, boxes are left in many businesses in
     town for drop offs.  Fund raisers are held all year long to buy toys when
     they are on sale.

TOYS FOR TOTS - advertised by the Marine Corp.  The DO NOT give toys to   
     Wareham children.  Those toys collected in town for this org. only go to
     children in Boston.

THE UNITED WAY - they also do not give toys to area children.

Is that enough information to help you get started?  Don't forget - call the schools to see if they can let you know the size of a student that might need a coat.

#79 2009-10-29 22:01:51

born I will check my list in the mornign but I think you hit them all. I have one other but have to check to make sure it is ok to post here.

#80 2009-10-29 22:12:48

Brian Boru wrote:

born I will check my list in the mornign but I think you hit them all. I have one other but have to check to make sure it is ok to post here.

Great - I hope everyone reads this.  We were in such good spirits this week
end and I know my spirits are down.  Maybe you should open a new site to tell them to look at this old site.  Boy, am I sleepy.

#81 2009-10-29 22:25:39

it does not matter what happended at TM We all talked about helping the community after TM regadless of the outcome. Lets move forward sorry not to take it from the other orginisation but helping the needy of warehan is more important than anything and the observer will never report on any group doing that because it does not move papers since he cant sell them. they move from the rack to the trash with out being looked at. kill somemore trees will you. at least burn in a community fireplace to help keepsome people warm this winter, we need to get the charity that we talked about a few days ago going. It's getting cold out there.

#82 2009-10-30 08:40:49

Born… Deb Ramos not longer does outreach. She is now the social day center coordinator. There are some staff at the COA who can help people fill out forms, but we no longer have an outreach case worker that goes out into the community to visit and help seniors. The ITA and Marcia who claim to care so much about seniors decided we didn’t need an outreach person for our seniors. The town makes money with the social day center they don’t make any money with an outreach person.

#83 2009-10-30 09:43:59

bbrady wrote:

I agree.  Great ideas.  As soon as TM is over with, we could promote a coat drive through Christmas and give them to the many that truly need them for warmth this winter.  I'll work on the advertising and welcome help from anyone.  I know I've got at least 6 or 8 coats I haven't worn in years.
Sorry, no barracudas.
Well done Cas.  I've got photos too.

I have had a generously sized lady's "trench coat" lined and with hood I have not used in 10 yrs from which I hate to part, but will gladly donate and add whatever I find in the local (Florida) Good Will - Silly Northerners sometimes don't trust the weather patterns and drag their winter stuff 1300 miles.  What the GW doesn't sell here gets sent to China or elsewhere  - by the lb.

Put me on your list for donations!

#84 2009-11-10 07:38:45

I am posting this information in two separate threads as it is pertinent to both (see also Annual Coat Drive).
This is another venue folks may want to consider supporting--Kid Komfort Kits--a local partnership of Turning Point & MA Children's Relief
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … 015/TOWN14

#85 2009-11-10 07:55:22

here is another way we all can help wareham and its families and citizens...

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc … 015/TOWN14

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com