#1 2009-10-29 15:14:21

OK, I'm steamed. It's official.

those of you who have suffered thru my postings here know that I hold the Courier in low esteem. Not as low as a certain Pravda on the Pottie, but pretty low for a publication which claims to be a legit newspaper. Low.

So where are they?

All hell is breaking loose all around them. where are they?

is today's very well-written letter from a Town Meeting regular supposed to suffice? Don't they get what the writer was saying? where are they?

N.B., if I have jumped ahead of a work-in-progress from them, then I rescind my comments, sorta. The comments would then become: what's taking so long?

If they don't see that this is a watershed time for the Town, then they ought to give it up and just print good news about someone who won a crocheting competition, or whatever. Yawn!

Yeah, I'm talkin' to you, Tammy Bay Faker. and the rest.

And Steve U., where is the S-T? Good articles about the TM nites, for sure. But, there is a serious aftermath goin' on, doncha think?

to quote Mr. Dooley from the late 1800's: "the role of a newspaper is to comfort the afflicted, and to afflict the comfortable"

Afflict away, I say!

#2 2009-10-29 16:31:27

I have to agree, to a degree...

I think they are in "Molly" ignore mode when it comes to anything originating from Bobo. Is it because they are wise? Or is it because they are complicit, somehow, by letting him/them "get away" with things. It's tough, the whole "ignore him/them" and they'll go away. There's truth to it, but can't always be done. As journalist's they should be reporting on stories however, and more than voter turnout and election results is warranted. IMO

Obviously they have to consider things I/we don't, but at some point there's a responsibility to "tell it like it is". The risk incurred by taking a stance, might be met with respect and a greater appreciation of their publication(s). Letting us slug it out and reporting the casualties at the end, falls a little short of my hopes.

Disclaimer: From what I've seen from Steve Urbon, well, let's just say I hope he sticks around. Ruth Thompson's article on TBW2 was good I thought.

I don't have the long history and background knowledge some of you do, on the paper's and a number of other thing's. So I go on what I got. Keep fillin' in those gaps for me, I appreciate it.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-29 16:35:31)

#3 2009-10-29 20:30:15

Hey P, I wouldn't expect the ST and Courier to get their "news" from the rag, in the same way ragboy used to--perhaps still does but I wouldn't know--rip off stories from their articles. I believe someone joked on this site recently on how ragboy didn't "copy" the kidnapping article correctly from the ST and got some of the details wrong. When those details were pointed out on this site--voila, the rag had the correct info.

My point is that if the bos don't send out a press release, but only gives the info about the ballot bit coming in April to their personal ragboy, how would the real journalists know? Clearly ragboy had this story before the bos left the high school after town meeting.  Don't blame the real journalists for not being on the bos speed dial like their lackey.

And one thing I've come to learn about real journalists--they get the facts and they get quotes from both sides and that does take time.

Last edited by Molly (2009-10-29 20:31:02)

#4 2009-10-29 20:41:25

My hunch is that the S-T thinks this recent event is bigger than we think it is and are researching for a major article.  When I say "hunch", I mean it...I haven't been in touch with anybody...except of course, my pal in Las Vegas, Jimmy the Greek.

#5 2009-10-29 20:47:04

I'm dually offended that neither the Courier nor the Standard Times ever reported on the Boozeygate/TA scandal.  I don't think it was enough for them to have reported on it when the guy applied in Mattapoisett.  You can't expect Wareham residents to know about something that was reported several months ago in the Mattapoisett news.  Had it not been for this site, the public would never have learned about this.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-10-29 20:47:41)

#6 2009-10-30 12:57:15

Gang - great dialogue here.

But, I am still distressed at the tepid response by the two papers to the post TM shenanigans. Yes,  they should not get their news from the slimemeister; but wouldn't you want to verify and/or dig a little deeper?

Ex. assume that Brucie & BoBo were one-on-one (ignore that ugly image that leaps to mind), wouldn't you want to call Brucie and have him repeat and/or expand his comments. Of course, we know what his answer would be to Steve U. et al, but that is news all by itself, isn't it?

Ex. Brenda's TM ploy on Monday, and her characterization of her opponents as a-holes. Wouldn't you want to verify what she said, and inquire as to her thinking in offering an illegal motion? And, if she blows you off, isn't that news by itself?

BTW, I have spoken to several people from other Towns, relating the events of this week. My question to them: Have you ever seen or heard of members of a BoS talking and acting the way these two have? No one can recall anything remotely similar. It was fun to watch their jaws drop as they heard the story.

And how about some detail on the BoS revealing their intent to do an end run around TM on some key issues. That isn't news? regardless of the source?

If Ms. Conway's excellent letter to the Courier failed to alert them to get in the game, then what will? In the S-T this morning, Steve U. gave us a real yawner, with just a hint of the aftermath. Maybe the S-T is developing a larger story; it would be nice if it appeared in this millenium.

Are we seeing the Wareham version of the Roman emperor Nero, the (real) press fiddlin' while the Town burns?

BTW, I am not seeking for either of the two publications to take sides. Just report the damn news!

#7 2009-10-30 13:24:07

notalawyer wrote:

Are we seeing the Wareham version of the Roman emperor Nero, the (real) press fiddlin' while the Town burns?

No, more like Hans Christian Andersen.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/sidepic/emperorsnewclothes.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#8 2009-10-30 13:25:39

Or maybe there is nothing to report? :)

#9 2009-10-30 13:54:48

BillW - nicely done, deftly placed, and on target. As always

Larry - thanks for the direction on the EllenB comments - I had looked at those when there a scant few, but never went back. Unfortunately, there he was: the Sultan of Slime, the fabricator of facts, the Harlot of Halifax; just had to elbow his way in where common sense says he doesn't belong. I repeat my strong objection to the Courier allowing a 'competitor' to pollute its blog.

But, there on the Courier website, there was another letter, this time by Geoff Swett. Mr. Swett must have channeled BillW's thoughts. Wannabe Emporers, Kings, etc. Who can it be, now?

Hey Courier! That's two letters from reasonable, rational, responsible citizens/voters/taxpayers.  How many does it take to get off your ass and report the news? Investigate the drama that is playing out? inform your readership? DO  -  YOUR  -  STINKIN'  -  JOB!

That's my opinion. It's free, and many regard it as wildly overpriced, at that.

Meanwhile, guess who has a clear field for their dissemination of disinformation and  distortions ?

#10 2009-10-30 14:05:07

Perhaps someone should open the door to communication and call Steve Urbon. If several people call him and explain why they feel that the democratic process is under attack, it will give him substance for his article.

#11 2009-10-30 14:26:08

Maturevoter wrote:

Perhaps someone should open the door to communication and call Steve Urbon. If several people call him and explain why they feel that the democratic process is under attack, it will give him substance for his article.

I don't recommend it. Urbon has seen what we saw. Giving the BOS fantasy any more ink is wasted breath.

It's put up or shut up time; not for the BOS but for us. The alternative is to shovel the same worthless shit from now until April.

Last edited by billw (2009-10-30 14:27:01)

#12 2009-10-30 16:12:20

billw - you are so on target it is annoying! only kidding.

You are definitely correct, any opportunity for the two legit newpapers to focus attention on the miscreants on the BoS and the antics of this week is fading faster than afternoon daylight in the fall. And, for it to be meaningful, as it will be too little, too late. the Bozos and their BoBo have been given too big a head start.

time to focus, as you point out, on April.

starting new thread.....

#13 2009-10-30 16:39:36

Molly wrote:

My point is that if the bos don't send out a press release, but only gives the info about the ballot bit coming in April to their personal ragboy, how would the real journalists know? Clearly ragboy had this story before the bos left the high school after town meeting.  Don't blame the real journalists for not being on the bos speed dial like their lackey.

And one thing I've come to learn about real journalists--they get the facts and they get quotes from both sides and that does take time.

Molly I agree that real journalists will do an in depth investigation.  I'll suspect that this more recent action is not that of the entire board and instead is Sweet Brucey going of half cocked on his own with lackey Bobo.  We'll know soon enough by the minutes of their meetings if in fact they voted and how, if so.  I smell another violation !

#14 2009-10-30 16:41:41

notalawyer wrote:

the Bozos and their BoBo have been given too big a head start.

Their losing Plan B was publicly predicted in almost every detail a month ago and it hasn't a prayer. We can and should safely ignore it.

One, maybe workable idea; target staffing shortages in every town dept and figure out how to keep the wheels from falling off for the forseeable future.

Another idea; conduct our own town wide audit and see exactly how broke we are. Yes we can.

#15 2009-10-30 18:43:23

Good point Bill.
First question: how much is in the Town's Reserve fund?
What is the Town's bond rating?
How much has been leveraged against the Reserve Fund?

Last edited by danoconnell (2009-10-30 19:37:54)

#16 2009-10-30 20:02:13

notalawyer wrote:

But, I am still distressed at the tepid response by the two papers to the post TM shenanigans. Yes,  they should not get their news from the slimemeister; but wouldn't you want to verify and/or dig a little deeper?

Ex. assume that Brucie & BoBo were one-on-one (ignore that ugly image that leaps to mind), wouldn't you want to call Brucie and have him repeat and/or expand his comments. Of course, we know what his answer would be to Steve U. et al, but that is news all by itself, isn't it?

Ex. Brenda's TM ploy on Monday, and her characterization of her opponents as a-holes. Wouldn't you want to verify what she said, and inquire as to her thinking in offering an illegal motion? And, if she blows you off, isn't that news by itself?

BTW, I have spoken to several people from other Towns, relating the events of this week. My question to them: Have you ever seen or heard of members of a BoS talking and acting the way these two have? No one can recall anything remotely similar. It was fun to watch their jaws drop as they heard the story.

And how about some detail on the BoS revealing their intent to do an end run around TM on some key issues. That isn't news? regardless of the source?

If Ms. Conway's excellent letter to the Courier failed to alert them to get in the game, then what will? In the S-T this morning, Steve U. gave us a real yawner, with just a hint of the aftermath. Maybe the S-T is developing a larger story; it would be nice if it appeared in this millenium.

BTW, I am not seeking for either of the two publications to take sides. Just report the damn news!

I was there when Brenda was whining about the voters not passing (Westfield & civil service) their articles when she said " it's because of those assholes that only come out every five years".  She was in the little "foyer" area between the auditorium and the lobby.  Standing at the wall as she said it and plunking herself in the last chair set up for extras.  When told by the gentleman that he is one of those assholes that comes out every 5 years and he didn't appreciate her comment, she lunged at him and was screaming at him.  I guess I'm a witness.  It is true.

I have felt from the start that Steve Urban is being cautious on either a legal stance or gathering info for an exploding story showing us quotes from Mass. laws and bringing officials in to expose our Town "Leaders".  Wouldn't that be nice?!

#17 2009-10-30 20:09:48

I see Bobo is going nutso over on the Courier blog again tonight, spanking his monkey over Facebook these days.

"Oh God oh God what are those evil power elitists saying on Facebook?! Oh God, are they talking about my Sweet Brucey on facebook?!!!!"  :::spank spank spank:::

#18 2009-10-30 23:14:04

bornofwareham wrote:

notalawyer wrote:

I was there when Brenda was whining about the voters not passing (Westfield & civil service) their articles when she said " it's because of those assholes that only come out every five years".  She was in the little "foyer" area between the auditorium and the lobby.  Standing at the wall as she said it and plunking herself in the last chair set up for extras.  When told by the gentleman that he is one of those assholes that comes out every 5 years and he didn't appreciate her comment, she lunged at him and was screaming at him.  I guess I'm a witness.  It is true.

I have felt from the start that Steve Urban is being cautious on either a legal stance or gathering info for an exploding story showing us quotes from Mass. laws and bringing officials in to expose our Town "Leaders".  Wouldn't that be nice?!

There are TWO BOMBS almost ready to be dropped. Stay tuned!

Last edited by waterview (2009-10-30 23:15:30)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com