#1 2009-10-27 04:02:43

It's 3:45am in the morning and South Coast is once again flying its Medivac helicopters low over densely populated neighborhoods.

Isn't it shameful enough the grasping bastards have chased all their primary care docs out of town in search of greater profit elsewhere, enough that their 'expanding foot print' is bulldozing more and more of our irreplaceable housing stock, enough that their insatiable greed is beggaring and bankrupting our neighbors? No, now they have to shatter our quiet nights and ruin our sleep. The hell, our doctors and hospital administrators don't care. They all live in more fashionable places.

When I wake up hung over tomorrow morning, I'm calling the FAA.

And I urge each and every one of you to vote YES tomorrow evening for the warrant article that will institute a demolition delay bylaw for the preservation of historic buildings.

G'night. Or what's left of it.

#2 2009-10-27 09:03:01

Why would you bitch about a medflight? its used to save someone's life and there is nothing you can do about it flying over your neighborhood. I'm sure its not fun, but if it was your loved one that needed to be flown out might be a different story!!

#3 2009-10-27 09:13:08

phantomPI wrote:

Why would you bitch about a medflight? its used to save someone's life and there is nothing you can do about it flying over your neighborhood. I'm sure its not fun, but if it was your loved one that needed to be flown out might be a different story!!

With due respect, please consult a map.

We live on the coast, surrounded by large bodies of water.

Flight paths to and from Tobey Hospital have recently changed.

There is no credible reason for the crap they've decided to inflict on this village. None.

#4 2009-10-27 18:07:22

phantomPI, I want to apologize for my rotten attitude. I have a boatload of excuses but none of them are worth much.

#5 2009-10-28 10:41:08

No problem Bill- I understand we all have bad days!

#6 2009-10-28 10:42:22

How can you not love BIll???? We may argue, but look at what he has given us????? Kudos to Bill.

#7 2009-10-28 11:01:24

Guess what I was driving at was we need regular conversation and face time - not lawyers and press office glad handing - with our corporate neighbors. With few exceptions, we're not getting it.

Happily, after last night, Wareham won't read stories like the squib below again.

"The house was on the market for quite a while," says Antonio Pacheco, Facilities Director at South Coast's Tobey Hospital. "We found out accidentally. Nobody told us. So we made an offer and it was accepted." The house had no kitchen and needed a lot of work, he says.

"We pulled the permits, just like any citizen would," Pacheco adds. "We have to notify the electric company, cable, water, sewer, and certify there are no material hazards like asbestos. Then we take that to town hall for the permit."

The house was leveled a couple weeks after permitting approval, Mr. Pacheco says, adding Tobey has no immediate plans for that property but, "The hospital is growing. We have to expand our foot print somewhere."

Barbara Bailey, president of the Wareham Historical Commission, argues there are no villains but Tobey Hospital is not really the town hospital anymore, not since its acquisition by South Coast. "They are less personally involved in Wareham," she says.

Bailey wants Wareham property owners offered incentives to keep old homes intact and on the town's tax rolls; restored or moved, rather than demolished.

There's no time to react without a demolition delay order, Bailey says, but she concedes Wareham Town Meeting voters have rejected that idea before.

"Yankees don't like anyone telling them what to do," Bailey says.

Three Wareham landmarks owned by South Coast risk demolition, she says.

The Tobey Homestead is a proposed helicopter pad.

The Kendrick House sits in the way of a  proposed new hospital driveway.

And the fate of the Tobey Library is uncertain.  South Coast hasn't maintained the building and apparently forgot its promise to return the old Library to the town.

Last updated: 2007-09-25 12:29 pm.

#8 2009-10-28 14:52:16

Bill, I live a few miles from you, but I can relate to the med-flight comment.  We live in an old farm house, similar in age to yours.  Med-flight flys at night by following the major highways.  As they approach the landing site they fly lower and our windows shake, remember, I said old house.  I am not anti med-flight and I know Bill isn't either, but sometimes I'm just falling asleep and the windows start to shake, so it can be annoying but it is very, neccessary. Hmmmm, similiar to selectmen's meeting.?

#9 2009-10-28 15:13:29

I spent 8 years living next to Rhein Main Air base in Germany. At first, it was very difficult to fall asleep or to remain asleep when the planes were coming in for a landing (C5-As are the worst!). After awhile, it became second nature. The funny part is after we moved back stateside, I actually couldn't sleep at first...my father told me it was because i was so used to the airplan noises that I missed them!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com