#1 2009-10-26 22:41:19

BREAKING NEWS:  A new day for freedom and Democracy in Wareham!  The Hypocrite Elite handed a crushing defeat on every one of their pet articles.  Democracy has returned to Wareham!!!!

Town meeting voters vote indefinite postponement for Westfield, showing their rejection for this project for the third time.  The only question remaining is will the selectmen whip out their pocketbooks and personally reimburse the town for the thousands of dollars that were wasted bringing up an article a third time when it was voted further study twice before?  Will this incompetent board of arrogant buffoons finally look for other ways to provide for senior housing that will have bipartisan support, or will they try to ram it down our throats a fourth time since it isn't their money they're spending?

Town Meeting voters soundly defeating article 5 - the selectmen's plan to take control of the Wareham Police Department with an article that would allow the BOS to put their own lackey chief in place.  Wareham voters realizing that the term "De Facto Chief Brucey" is the scariest phrase in the universe and voting it down.  Voters showing a total lack of confidence in this Board and realizing that their control over the police chief would be a nightmare of epic proportions.  Thank God for the safety and stability of Wareham that this article was voted down.

Sweet Brucey spotted red faced, angry, head in his hands, a pissed off would-be King who can't believe his peasants would disobey him.  Brockton Brenda so angry she pulls a hissy fit, demanding that town meeting be dissolved, trying to nullify all votes taken and dissolving town meeting, an act that would have takenaway the residents' ability to take care of the other several articles away just because she and her BOS lackies did not get their way.  The selectmen would rather have all of the town's business thrown overboard if they don't get their way.  That pathetic maneuver was soundly defeated.

Ham grinning ear to ear Cheshire cat style tonight.  A new day for Wareham. 

October 26, 2009 - the day the Hypocrite Elite became irrelevant.  FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY HAVE RETURNED TO WAREHAM!!!!!!

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-10-26 22:56:16)

#2 2009-10-26 22:49:15

Ham, great recap, but I will offer one edit. The vote on Westfield was not further study it was indefinite postponement. The difference is that this time the study $hit is over.

#3 2009-10-26 22:50:25

Thank you rukidding...indefinite postponement!  I will edit above.

#4 2009-10-26 22:53:44

WOO HOO!!!

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#5 2009-10-26 22:56:07

the citizens have spoken..... a big thank you to bruce s for urging all residents to go to town meeting and excercise their vote....

DEMOCRACY!!!

#6 2009-10-26 22:56:24

I CANT TELL YOU ONE THING CRONIN AND BRUCEY IN APRIL THE CHANGE HAS BEGUN. YOU LOST ALL OF YOUR ARTICLES. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND WILL SPEAK IN APRIL.

A FEW FOOTNOTES:

ANDREA - THERE WAS NO CONFUSION IN THE VOTE, SORRY YOU DIDNT GET YOUR WAY

TOOTSIE RUSSELL - HOW DID YOU LET SOMEONE ELSE DO YOUR JOB AND LET THE MTG VOTERS KNOW IT WAS 10

BRENDA - THE PEOPLE SPOKE, DONT THROW A FIT AND TRY TO DISSOLVE TM

BRUCEY - YOU CAN PUT YOU HEAD IN YOUR HANDS ALL YOU WANT BUT THE NIGHT WILL NOT CHANGE

MODERATER - YOUR A DISGRACE, CANT WAIT TILL YOUR UP FOR REELECTION, NO SPEECHES DURING A RECOUNT!

BOBO - CANT WAIT FOR YOU SPIN, SPIN, SPIN

#7 2009-10-26 22:58:09

Official Artist's Rendering of What Sweet Brucey Looked Like after Tonight's Town Meeting:

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/yosemite_sam_stressed.jpg

#8 2009-10-26 23:01:05

congrats to all for a great job. Well Done. On to April.

#9 2009-10-26 23:01:31

Bobo no doubt penning a column as we speak about how we are all vile power elite senior haters...if he and his cronies weren't shown to be completely and totally IRRELEVANT tonight, I'd probably care.  Yes, the monkey turning the gears in Bobo's brain are working overtime as he tries to spin this.  Tough noogies, the people have spoken!  The Hypocrite Elite Irrelevant!  Washed up!  Finished!  Kaput! 

THE HYPOCRITE ELITE IS IRRELEVANT!  DEMOCRACY HAS RETURNED TO WAREHAM!

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-10-26 23:02:03)

#10 2009-10-26 23:05:21

No Confidence. The town let the "leader's" know what's up. As great as it was to have all our efforts and research pay off, watching the way everyone treated "them" was pure sweetness. They worked hard to earn our incivility. Sorry gang, the Town spoke. We're sick of your crap. Sweet, sweet music. This is our Town!

Thank you all. Now one more night, charity drives, and on to April. 

Celebrate

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-26 23:13:28)

#11 2009-10-26 23:09:33

Ham,
It doesn't matter what Slager says, that was proven tonight. All the "pre-game" prep that was done by Selectmen/MWF ended up backfiring! People are now interested in getting responsible, respectful, and competent leadership.

Brenda really showed her true colors tonight. For that, she should resign or be recalled. SHe spit in the face of a majority of voters by wanting to dissolve the meeting. We expect more from our citizens.

#12 2009-10-26 23:11:01

andrea smith... nice try but NO THANKS....

#13 2009-10-26 23:16:51

As I was leaving I heard more than one person talk about how much money had been spent on Westfield $75,000 + more - and now lost. One selectman said it was the saddest night she had seen in her life.

The town is hurting for funds so who authorized those expenditures? I'm not against Senior Housing at all but single digit numbers for affordable units and double digit numbers for $1000 and up? If you look at the typical numbers seniors receive in social security you know that's not affordable.

That $75000 could have hired a librarian, added hours, added an extra policeman or even done some actual rehab of existing senior housing stock.

#14 2009-10-26 23:20:34

And another thing....
If you want to see why we should keep Town Meeting. Tonight was a great example. Great turnout. Spirited "discussions." Again, the problem is the "leadership." Brenda, you are such an ASS! Dissolve TM? We can't get you SelectBozo's outta here fast enough. Your a (bad) joke. Janey, Brucey, Mr. Moderator, all of you. "How you like me now?"

You won't wipe this smile from my face for awhile...My Town Rocks!

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#15 2009-10-26 23:20:56

WE THE PEASANTS WILL MARCH ON THE SELESTMAN AND THROW THEM THE HELL OUT OF OFFICE , WE ARE SICK OF THERE SHIT , WE WANT  THEM OUT OF OFFICE AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT I HOPE THEY ALL MOVE TO HALIFAX.

#16 2009-10-26 23:43:27

Let's celebrate, people, but also let's not be complacent.  Everyone please be there tommorrow night front and center.  They will no doubt try to pull out a trick or two to try and nullify their defeat tonight.  Be there to vote their tricks down.

We won this round, but the battle isn't over yet.

#17 2009-10-27 00:55:24

Listen to the wisdom of  Hamatron !   "BOS" and "desperate"   are the same word. Beware of desperate  people.. You all saw Brenda's assassination plot fizzle...But what sneaky John 'n Jane combo are they going to throw at us tomorrow night ?   I'm mixing my metaphors, but please don't leave this game at the bottom of the eighth.

#18 2009-10-27 01:04:04

Tonight was a referendum of sorts: we the citizens will no longer tolerate the incompetence of our current BOS!!..I guesss Jane was right when she told someone at citizen's participation that Town Meeting attendeees usually vote opposite of the Selectscum..how prophetic!!!

#19 2009-10-27 07:20:36

I too am happy that the votes went the way they did. But I did not vote against the bos's Westfield project or the Civil Service article because I wanted simply to thwart the selectmen. Perhaps some of you don't mean it that way, but some of the posts sound like the votes went the way they did as some sort of vendetta against the bos. I know you voted on the merits of the articles and not, in the way of our bos---as retribution for their past deeds.

Let's be clear about it--the articles were flawed and/or simply wrong for our town. Unfortunately, our town has been split into factions and it is making Wareham a difficult place to live. This has to stop.

When this site started the TAKE BACK WAREHAM campaign, I thought---great---this is the way to do it. But simply voting on articles a certain way at town meeting is not enough. We need to get a new board of selectmen in this town who do not operate by vendettas and retribution.  Hard work ahead of us but we can do it.

Be forewarned, it will get even more ugly out there folks. You have upset the grand wizard and his motley crew.

#20 2009-10-27 08:44:13

I agree with Molly that our outrage cannot be the only thing that drives our votes.  I am only sorry that Selectman Savaugeau rushed through the reading of something on the screen that did not resemble the budget explanation, and we fell for it before we knew what was happening (one of his favorite strategies in concert with the Moderator). A budget that absorbed an additional $599,000 cut deserved a lot of discussion.  How could this not affect services, as we were told?  Leaving positions empty definitely affects us.  Police, library, school, planner, etc. Of course, some people, I understand, are getting stipends above their regular salary?  WOW.   

Our tax dollars were spent on excessive legal fees for various firms, consultants, audits, stipends for a COA interim library director, and other wasteful items, given our lack of services, personnel, funds to maintain our roads and town buildings, and much more.  The budget got no discussion.  Who knows what we just allowed to continue because we couldn't/didn't ask a question.  And, we know that betwen Town Meetings, they do exactly as they please with the budget.  To whomever they please.

Don't give the Fin Com chair a pass on this one. No real discussion on the budget, for the most part. He contributed in large part to wreaking financial havoc on the library.  Is he an expert on housing or library service, police?  Our finances?  It was the school dept who investigated the health insurance trust fund and brought it to light.  And, just because he opposed Westfield and you agree, beware of who you believe going forward.  Has our Fin Com been marginalized?  Why would that be?   Some of the members are looking into legal bills, and that has been great work. Don't let it stop there.  Momma bear and poppa bear.  That's how you address the voters? Give me a break.

#21 2009-10-27 08:58:01

Molly wrote:

When this site started the TAKE BACK WAREHAM campaign, I thought---great---this is the way to do it. But simply voting on articles a certain way at town meeting is not enough.

Thank you, Molly. You may have noticed the indiscriminate attacks here all but drove me out of this discussion in August. There's nothing at all productive about tearing people apart without offering constructive and feasible alternatives in their place. We are faced with the monumental task of rebuilding an entire municipal government.

Until last night, I was ready to pull the plug on this site.

#22 2009-10-27 09:02:42

voter wrote:

It was the school dept who investigated the health insurance trust fund and brought it to light.

This particular fantasy needs correcting. I will not out the local hero who first detected this crime but Geoff Swett and the school department had absolutely nothing to do with it.

#23 2009-10-27 09:05:51

Molly wrote:

Let's be clear about it--the articles were flawed and/or simply wrong for our town. Unfortunately, our town has been split into factions and it is making Wareham a difficult place to live. This has to stop.

Molly, I couldn't agree more. We all went in as prepared as we could. We spent alot of time "discussing" the relative "pros" and "cons" of the Articles. More so here than anywhere. I think a sense that our Town has come together and spoken resoundingly as one, even including our opposition, is a healthy sign that the citizenry is willing and able to "play their part", a vital one in our government. We'll see it through, and the Town is/will be better for it. I know for me, I've never felt more a part of our community. I thank you all for that.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#24 2009-10-27 09:11:00

I have to disagree with your Bill. There have been several constructive and feasible alternatives offered. To discount that any of us are not aware of what needs to happen next is as bad as the Selectmen considering us as an afterthought. We may not agree on everything, but many of us aren't in this to spite the Selectmen. I want a bright future for Wareham in the hopes that our children will have something to look forward to instead of mounds of debt and dysfunction. I know I have been in contact with several on this site as well as others who are in this for the right reason and that is to build on this momentum and carry it through to the next level.

That said, we should all be there tonight to finish this town meeting on a high note. It's not about one and done, let's follow it through.

#25 2009-10-27 09:11:34

Bill,
Thank you for correcting me.  I don't want to perpetuate any "fantasy" about who first began to look into the misuse of the health care trust fund.

#26 2009-10-27 09:27:38

Bill W..glad you didn't pull the plug!
I enjoy screwing with you too much!! So does everyone else!
How do you feel this morning!

#27 2009-10-27 09:38:13

voter wrote:

I agree with Molly that our outrage cannot be the only thing that drives our votes.  I am only sorry that Selectman Savaugeau rushed through the reading of something on the screen that did not resemble the budget explanation, and we fell for it before we knew what was happening (one of his favorite strategies in concert with the Moderator). A budget that absorbed an additional $599,000 cut deserved a lot of discussion.  How could this not affect services, as we were told?  Leaving positions empty definitely affects us.  Police, library, school, planner, etc. Of course, some people, I understand, are getting stipends above their regular salary?  WOW.

Voter, thank you for bringing up this topic. I too was shocked at the budget article. During a recent BoS meeting, the chair asked what it would cost for a special town meeting because with the close to $600,000 cut coming and new numbers from the state due out later, we would need to postpone discussion of the budget. Yet last night, I blinked and the budget was passed.

What about the Town Administrator's budget eating the extra Heaton bill to the tune of something like $24,000? The fact that more than $30,000 was spent illegally from the Housing trust (only 10% should be spent on consultants) and with the extra money "slipped" into the ITA's line item, we were hoodwinked. I've never seen a budget passed so quickly at town meeting.

In addition, this proves to me that they have been not filling town positions so they can have extra cash to move around (take a look at the "explanations" on the budget page). There was no mention of the huge legal bills that continue to mount. And I did not see an increase in that line item on the flimsy budget we got at TM but I'm sure K and P are being paid.  I don't appreciated being tricked or thought a fool. I agree with others on this site that recall is the way to go in April. We need an administration we can trust and one that will not try to dissolve town meeting when it doesn't get its way.

#28 2009-10-27 10:34:26

I have been voting in Wareham for 30 years now, which when i was first old enough to vote.  I paid no attention at all to what was going on in Wareham until now, BECAUSE THERE IS NO CHOICE, EVERY ONE OF US HAS TO PAY ATTENTION NOW!

BILLW, thanks for this site and all of you folks out there, thanks for you passion because this is the only way I finally got involved, by word of mouth.

Last night was my first TM, which led to my screen name because all i kept saying to the poeple beside me was WHAAAAT!!!!  I sitll cannot get over the actions and comments that came off that stage last night.  it feels great to be part of a solution to the embrassment Wareham has become due to the BOS.

I am eagerly looking forward to attending tonights TM and hopefully can drag a few more people along so they can witness for themselves what a side show this BOS really are.

#29 2009-10-27 10:37:21

Larry McDonald wrote:

I want a bright future for Wareham in the hopes that our children will have something to look forward to instead of mounds of debt and dysfunction.

My extended family growing up was everywhere I looked, a family that helped settle this town. They are all gone now, scattered to the four corners of Centre Cemetery and beyond.

There was no opportunity here for anyone with education and/or ambition and guess what? There still isn't. Our kids are our only export, unless you count cranberries. One cranberry, two cranberries, three cranberries...

This is a resort town. Ask Dan O'Connell what happens to resort economies when they run out of real estate to flip and land to develop. I'm guessing he'll tell you they begin to feed on each other. Sound familiar?

Screw our select clowns. We have to stop bitching and start doing something.

#30 2009-10-27 10:43:09

I do agree with that BillW. While it is a resort town, there is land and opportunity to bring industry to this town. In order to bring in industry and opportunity, you must first make the town viable to this. How do we this? Exactly how we are doing it. The bitching will turn into action once we are in a position to make that happen. Just for the record, several people seem to be making a good living out of cranberries, so I consider that an area of opportunity as well.

#31 2009-10-27 11:21:23

WHAAAAT!!!! wrote:

Last night was my first TM, which led to my screen name because all i kept saying to the poeple beside me was WHAAAAT!!!!  I sitll cannot get over the actions and comments that came off that stage last night.  it feels great to be part of a solution to the embrassment Wareham has become due to the BOS.

I am eagerly looking forward to attending tonights TM and hopefully can drag a few more people along so they can witness for themselves what a side show this BOS really are.

Nice...Welcome!! Bring 'em along. Ask them to read through some of these threads if they can. They'll learn alot, even in a short time. Democracy in action. TM's new to me also, and it was "exciting" to be a part of it. Highs and lows will happen, but the "process" is all AMERICAN!

http://www.liberalquicksand.com/wp-content/themes/thesis/rotator/american-flag.jpg

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#32 2009-10-27 11:25:48

I know what Bill W means. He and I know that Wareham is a sanctuary. A tourist Town. A Town that is an escape from the big cities and the opportunity to visit a place that is pristine and pure. Concentrate on improving THAT image, concentrate on developing more tourist friendly attractions, resorts, golf courses(privately owned, PLEASE), and other thing for people to do on vacation.
Plenty of opportunities will open up for young people if the Town is planned and developed properly.
Bill W knows what happens down here in Florida when the greedy carpetbaggers come in, buy up land cheap to flip, run into economic and financing problems and eventually fall on their asses, leaving the Cities and Counties in ruins because they have raped the available sources of income by overdevelopment.
Wareham...a sanctuary.
Bill... you sound like you are feeling OK after your little binder. Too bad I wasn't with you last night to pour down a few.
Thanks for you, Bill.
Thanks for this site, and thanks for being who you are. I know your family history, and I know, like me, your heart breaks everytime you see idiots destroy what your family built.

#33 2009-10-27 23:11:04

Ah, yes...............bump.
Can we party yet?

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#34 2009-10-27 23:12:17

alittle but hold out until April

#35 2009-10-27 23:17:42

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#36 2009-10-28 00:16:55

No parties yet. We have plenty of work to do.

#37 2009-10-28 00:24:42

Pleeease just this once, can I stay up late Poppa Bear : )

PS Pats Rule!

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#38 2009-10-28 01:17:43

Yes, Bill..........we need to bring some life back to Wareham.  When I was a child growing up here, Friday nights and Saturday mornings you didn't leave your house if you lived on Rte. 28.  Sunday was another day of the same.  We had no Rte 25, 495 or 195.  There were two ways to get to the cape, thru Wareham to the Bourne Bride or thru Rte 3a to the Sagamore Bridge.  Every store front was occupied.  In Onset at night, they walked 3 & 4 abreast on the sidewalks.  Wareham Center had Newman's two stores, one for men and one for women, a bowling alley, a movie theatre, two grocery markets, three shoe stores, a millinery store, a five and dime store, the N.B Gas & Electric co. where you cold pay your bill or buy appliances two florist shops, Cornwell's Dept. Store, a jewelry store, two card shops, two beauty salons. restaurants, 2 banks only, a produce store, a general goods store,   a Western Auto store (where you could buy the makings of a kite) and much more.  The building owners of empty stores need to bring in some clothing stores, for adults, for teens and babies.  A shoe store, maybe - but keep the rent down.  Wareham has more parking space downtown, but we are like a ghost town.  Onset is worse.  Property owners need to know that a store that attracts the summer crowd, can not pay high rent in the off season.  This is why our gift shops on the highway shut down in the winter.  The weeds along the street need to be weeded or sprayed.  We need to be responsible for the areas around us.

#39 2009-10-28 08:23:45

Bornof...you must be an old coot!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com