#1 2009-10-15 10:47:27

Folks,
I have given this much thought and it is very unlikely I will attend Saturday's Selectmen love fest. I wanted to give these people a chance, but the information overload has finally caught up. I'll see if I can summarize this without sounding too cynical.

On the Courier website, you have 4 of the posters from the Rag-a-Muffin website touting this meeting. Ellen Begley, Michael Scneider, Coach TP, and MsPetunia(or Lilly). They all seem to be in the know about this, as does the head RagMuffin. I tried to have an open and honest discussion with a few of the followers, but their candor is a bit lacking. To make matters worse, CoachTP finally showed his debate skills when he pouted like a little girl. It's clearly MY point of view, but several signs are pointing to the obvious conclusion, it's just not for me.

RagMuffin King called someone an a**hole in email and has showed other signs of non-respectful debating skills. Paul Shooter still needs anger management classes, and I haven't even addressed the biggest point, the people Moderating the meeting are both blind followers of RagMuffin King. Ellen, who seems very meek and genuine, has heeded the call of the BOSS each time he has asked. The OVM debacle, and Ellen writes a letter about violating her 1st amendment rights (which was off the mark). The Susan Gifford issue, and Ellen writes one of the 3 letters chastising Mrs Gifford. I saw pictures of the the silent debate team, and I am assuming she was part of the 3 or 4 people standing there. Don't hold me to the last one, it was a blurry picture. So, to state she just wants everyone to work together might be stretching it a bit.

Let's also include that before the infamous introduction of Ellen and Michael during the Selectmen's meeting, they had already met with a Selectmen.

Look, I just don't believe they are being honest and open. Call me a poopy-head, spoil sport, or whatever you like, but I see several more reasons to Take Back Wareham than I do to move this town forward with the current group of elected officials. We have astronomical legal bills and they continue to grow. Our administration is substandard at best. The committees are filled with "friends" and supporters instead of a cross section of the town. A wealth of knowledge resides in Wareham. There are people who have vast experience and impressive backgrounds that routinely are ignored when committees are appointed. I won't even begin to address the HC Trust issues or the employee morale. I'm just not convinced Wareham can move forward until we Take Back Wareham.

And just for the record...Move Boston Forward was started BEFORE Move Wareham Forward. Coincidence? I think not.....enough said

Everyone has to do what is best for them, but for me....I'm going to concentrate on righting the ship before we set sail....

#2 2009-10-15 12:17:30

Good man, Larry.
Concentrate on Town Meeting not on a group of numb nuts.

#3 2009-10-15 12:33:35

I tried not to be cynical and negative, but after reading through all the information and various other items, I just didn't see the point of attending on Saturday. I wanted to make sure I stated this was MY view, not anyone else's.

I hope the good people of Wareham show up in force at the town meeting, this should be interesting.

#4 2009-10-15 12:41:50

I am no more in the "know" than anyone else concerning the community meeting. 

It is unfortunate that your cynicism will not allow you to attend.  I am sure that the more knowledge and viewpoints brought to the table the better, but if you find no merit in participating, then you have obviously made the correct decision to not attend.

#5 2009-10-15 12:49:08

MsPetunia,MsLilly, Pink, Coach, AngelJoe, etc.,etc.,etc.,
Put them all in a paper bag and shake it up. Empty it out....only one emerges.

#6 2009-10-15 12:51:18

it may be a record here...I have two names on ignore, but only one person.....someone check the record books

#7 2009-10-15 14:12:12

PLEASE NOTE: I have been informed that the information Slager posted on his blogs was first reported on the Courier blogs.  I had not seen that information when I posted this. My commentary about the sharing of the information is incorrect, but I have left it here so the rest of the conversation in the thread doesn't confuse people

It should be noted for the record that Slager's blog lists the moderators for this meeting as Schneider and Begley.  Interesting that they were willing to share that with Slager, but not with Larry.  It's frustrating to hear these claims of wanting open and honest dialogue, and then see games like that being played with it....

Last edited by acasualobserver (2009-10-15 15:17:13)

#8 2009-10-15 14:31:51

Cas,
Ellen finally shared the info with me, but it was only after her now famous, "Come to the meeting and see". Perhaps we could see some surprise visitors at either this meeting or Town Meeting? They have had time to rehearse, but i wonder if they have prepared for questions coming from people who actually have the facts?

#9 2009-10-15 14:35:45

acasualobserver wrote:

It should be noted for the record that Slager's blog lists the moderators for this meeting as Schneider and Begley.  Interesting that they were willing to share that with Slager, but not with Larry.  It's frustrating to hear these claims of wanting open and honest dialogue, and then see games like that being played with it....

Cas, just to try and "state the facts", I think she actually first came out, in response to Larry (and others), on the Courier comment area yesterday with the moderator info..

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#10 2009-10-15 15:06:42

Lets face it, there are only two sides here not three. There is the "let's support the selectmen, we think they are doing a great job" side and the "April cannot come fast enough, lets replace the entire group" side. There is not another group. Begley and Schneider represent the first group and we all represent the second group. I agree with Larry, unless someone wants to go hear Pacewicz, Slavin and the rest of the crew tell the selectbozos how good they are doing, there is really no reason to attend. My intention is to sit back on a rainy afternoon with a good book.

#11 2009-10-15 15:10:07

This meeting could attract some "first timers". If we choose to appear to be prejudging the MWF folks by "blowing them off", aren't we giving them the ammunition to further discredit us to people who are just now waking up?

I suggest that we take seriously  their published  challenge to present questions , and that with each question we suggest a person who should really be on the panel to answer it.  Make them be the documented "blow-off" people.

I'm thinking that it might be a mistake to make it possible for them to say, "We had numerous requests from the people commonly called 'Hate Bloggers', but their questions simply reinforced their reputation as people  totally lacking in the kind of civility we wanted to have for this community gathering"

#12 2009-10-15 15:10:09

I recommend Dan Brown's latest, The Lost Symbol. It was an excellent read. I am officially between books!

#13 2009-10-15 15:14:55

larry/pshooter, thanks for that correction.  The Courier message boards get so long and unwieldy that I have trouble following them at times.  I'll put a whoopsie notice on my original post, but leave the content there so people don't get confused as to what the followup comments are

#14 2009-10-15 16:28:56

Dick & RU, I see and agree with both of your point's of view, even though they are contradictory. As I said on the Courier "blog", if their stated efforts are to succeed, they will do so with or without my (individual) support. If people buy into the picture they've painted of us, without truly coming here and coming to their own conclusions (and looking past the "book cover"), then those people may have a vote, and an opinion, but I personally find it hard to convince anyone like that to see anything more than "illusions". People can't be sheep, they have to "dig a little deeper", that's usually where the truth lies. Those who choose to attend and attempt to "plead our case", or those who don't and wish to "silently protest", are equally justified in their actions, in my opinion.

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#15 2009-10-15 16:49:33

You could do what I'm suggesting and not go to the actual meeting if they don't, for example, respond to a plea to have Nora Bicki or Priscilla Porter on the panel.

You have a strong case for ignoring  them......It's the fall-out that I dread....

Maybe  I'll just do a small public service gig: stand at the TH door and hand out barf bags, "Courtesy of Take Back Wareham"

#16 2009-10-15 17:04:02

dick i agree look at the information bruce s and slager voiced after the court hearings... how would the bos be able to answer ?'s they left early.... if ya need help with the TWB bags let me know...

#17 2009-10-15 17:11:45

Dick Wheeler wrote:

You could do what I'm suggesting and not go to the actual meeting if they don't, for example, respond to a plea to have Nora Bicki or Priscilla Porter on the panel.

You have a strong case for ignoring  them......It's the fall-out that I dread....

Maybe  I'll just do a small public service gig: stand at the TH door and hand out barf bags, "Courtesy of Take Back Wareham"

Dick, these are great suggestions. You're led by your heart and mind, and they have surely never led you astray. I/we are lucky to be associated with you in any way.

ps..don't forget to bring the vid : )

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM

#18 2009-10-15 17:18:01

I wish I could be there with you all!
I am there in spirit. I hope you all know that.
TAKE BACK WAREHAM!
By the way, my wife Kathy wore her TAKE BACK WAREHAM t-shirt when we went to the beach today.
It looks lovely on her!!

#19 2009-10-15 19:08:04

Dan it was a typical beach day here, as well.

Cold (30's), damp, raw. November weather in October, And, it is snowing across Conn., RI, South Coast. My required heart walk today included a fleece top, an ear-covering head band, and GLOVES! I'm sure they looked "lovely" on me. Well. maybe not.

You are starting to remind me of my sainted mother-in-law, who lived for nearly 40 years on Siesta Key in Sarasota. she just loved to call and say Hi!, and of course brag about the weather.

I'll keep walking and pretend that I am on Crescent Beach, heading for Point of Rocks, on a warm day in the fall/winter. Damn that northeast wind!

#20 2009-10-15 20:31:43

Ahhh...nota...Siesta Key!
Paradise!

#21 2009-10-16 09:00:03

Dick,
I appreciate your suggestion, but I already had plans for Saturday before this event was announced.  I doesn't matter if anyone from the library litigation is there or not the BoS is going to say whatever suits them.  It is over and it is time to move on.  The Wareham free Library needs help from all of us.  There are currently 6 staff people, with only 2 full time position.  Lynda Ames's position has not been advertised and the part time people have had any hours added to help make up for the loss of an employee.  The library budget does not provide any money for books or supplies, such as paper, pen, etc.  Please if you can give a gift to the library of a box of copy paper or other everyday supplies that the library needs to function.
Thank you all for what you did disspelling all the items from Mr. Slager.  You have no idea how much it helped me get through te last 2 1/2 years.
Priscilla Porter

#22 2009-10-16 10:16:23

Hey guys!  Maybe we can't solve all the  problems  the WFL  staff are stuck with, but can't we  alleviate something like their paper shortage?
I'm going to head out to Staples  this morning for a stop-gap  supply of printer paper...and as an incentive to others I'll match  whatever anyone else lays on them  from here on.

Priscilla and the other WFL trustees have been
dragged through the mud for over two years.  The court case is over.  The BOS did not get what they wanted: control of the private foundation...so the desire to punish is alive and well.

The  library is not a good place to target for saving money....In fact there is an inverse relationship: The tougher times get for a commnunity the more it needs a strong library.

#23 2009-10-16 10:30:39

Dick,
Let me know if I can contribute to the paper and pencil fund.

#24 2009-10-16 11:18:05

Dick,
I will speak to the Gnome and see if we can stop by staples this evening and see what we can do. This may require you to match with Single Malt Scotch and conversation. I grew up a fan of the library and the many programs they offered to children and teens. As a young adult, I used the library to do research and prepare papers (college was much different without instant computer access and google). I encourage my children to read as it develops your comprehension skills and expands your imagination. It's a shame we have elected officials that would take that away from the future leaders of Wareham.

#25 2009-10-16 11:55:53

I fully understand what the library staff is experiencing, and what the Library Trustees went through.  I mean no disrespect to anyone.  I am simply confused as to why either the Library Foundation or the Library Friends cannot supply the basic needs of the library, while this BOS continues to shortfund the library.

Last edited by gogatemen (2009-10-16 11:59:46)

#26 2009-10-16 12:14:49

No offense taken. I am pasting here what I wrote on a previous thread.  The Friends general fund is close to broke because of the spending we have done. Did the fact that a certain tabloid owner told people not to donate to the Friends make a difference? Did Jane Donahue during the Paddlethon when she told people to make their checks out to the town instead of the Friends make a difference? Perhaps. I do know that membership and donations are down.  We have a cook book fundraiser as well as our holiday fair coming up soon and we will continue to spend money on the library. I know we are getting off the point with this posting, but the truth is crucial in this current political climate.

Friends of the Wareham Free Library, Inc.

Fiscal Year 2006-2007   (May 1-April 30)
Equipment/Furniture        $   558
Printing & Supplies        $ 2,402
Reach Out and Read        $ 3,000
Books                $ 2,095
Subscriptions            $    835
Library Materials        $    836
Software            $    551
Programs            $ 5,491
Reading Partners        $    453
Audio Visual            $    323

TOTAL:            $16,544           

Fiscal Year 2007-2008
Equipment/Furniture        $    4,020
Printing & Supplies        $    4,106
Books                $ 26, 200
Subscriptions            $       511
Library Materials        $       305
Software            $       234
Programs            $    1,612
Reading Partners        $    1,098
Audio Visual            $         27

TOTAL:            $38,113

Fiscal Year 2008-2009  (NOTE: Includes Paddlethon fundraiser donations)
Equipment/Furniture        $   1,922
Printing & Supplies        $   5,833
Books                $ 65,457
Subscriptions            $      581
Library Materials        $     493
Software            $   2,455   
Programs            $   4,698
Reading Partners        $   1,107
Audio Visual            $   1,144
Gift to town for salaries    $ 20,000
Wareham Reads Together    $   4,698

TOTAL:            $108,388

Fiscal Year 2009-2010 to date (May 1-October 3)) Updated Oct. 3, 2009
Equipment/Furniture        $      351
Printing & Supplies        $   3,580
Books                $ 24,142
Subscriptions            $   1,213
Library Materials        $   1,555
Software            $      267
Programs            $      406
Reading Partners        $   2,076
Audio Visual            $        54
Wareham Reads Together    $   4,009

TOTAL:             $37,653

FRIENDS GRAND TOTAL:    $200,698

None of this is secret. Our treasurer gives a report at every meeting, and our newsletter informs the membership where and how we spend our funds.  We have a very small active group (sometimes as many as 15 people, but usually 8-10) who do all the work fund raising, book sales, etc.  I'm offended that anyone would make such a statement without knowing whether or not we have continued to support the main library. (I have to assume she did not know.) I think spending over $200,000 in three years is incredible and demonstrates our continued support and dedication to the main library.

2. I'd like to respond to the implication that we are losing focus because of our "other interest" or the Spinney Library. Ms. Eckstrom, as well as the rest of the selectmen, know full well that the Friends have a fully enforceable contract with the town of Wareham, signed by both Eckstrom and Sauvageau, to complete the Spinney project in two years time. The Friends raised over $650,000 in donations given solely and specifically for the Spinney project. That money has always been kept separate from the main library funds. I stood up at town meeting explain why we couldn't use those funds to supplement the budget of the main library and to inform the body that the Attorney General's office told me that the most basic tenet of charity law is that if you raise money for a specific cause it is illegal to use it for another. I was told by the attorney there that if the Friends used Spinney money on the main library, the AG's office would sue us for fraud and misappropriation of funds. Some of our donors contributed large amounts from $10,000 to $75,000 individually. They donated that money for the Spinney and not to pay the electric bills or such at the main library. That's the law.

#27 2009-10-16 13:08:09

Part of the settlement was that the new library trustees would have $50,000.00 to spend on the library at their descretion.  I hope trustees will be appointed quickly and look at library needs to spend this money for that purpose.  Also a director needs to be appointed who will be able to give the library full time attention.  Having a director serving 2 depts. is asking a lot of one person.
Priscilla

#28 2009-10-16 14:49:49

Nora and Priscilla:  Thank you for providing the facts.

#29 2009-10-16 14:58:36

I support all of you ladies that posted. We have communicated via e-mail and PMs' many times.
This is why I have been telling you to get government out of the Library business.
When the Libraries of Wareham were run and supported by private foundations, there wasn't any need for any improvements to any structures, or lack of books and equipment, or lack of qualified Librarians.
The public supported the Libraries. Then enter government, and the end was near.
The only role that the Town Government of Wareham should have in the Libraries is to help raise funds through public monies and grants to assist the Libraries in their efforts.
Thank you for your service to Wareham, ladies.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com