#1 2009-10-04 21:56:14

Good evening, all. I have been reading this site for months and have learned a great deal.  Sometimes I have wanted to post, but I don't trust where things are headed. Anyway, here I am because I am very concerned that we (if you will allow me to say that) are not getting enough NEW voters out for Town Meeting.  It's not as easy as you think. Sometimes people will tell you "yes" when they mean "not really." PLEASE let's bring this era of chaos to an end, beginning with this Town Meeting. If we get some momentum going, April won't be as difficult to accomplish. You will be more likely to see some new candidates.  At this moment, you can bet that the opposition (that lovely couple) is working very hard to defeat us.  They are good, so we have to be better.  I spoke to some neighbors tonight. PLEASE! Talk to a few new people each day who will attend Town Meeting and hear the issues being discussed. There are only a few more days to register. Thanks, everyone, for all your good posts and efforts.

#2 2009-10-04 21:58:00

this tues oct last date to register to vote for town meeting..

#3 2009-10-04 22:57:21

voter, thanks for speaking up. I'd love to hear from a few more "voters" too. I can only speak for myself, but it sure would be nice if a few more people like yourself, would join the "regulars" who speak their minds, add their insights, etc... I hate the way we're labelled here, I consider it prejudice, and just as ugly as any form there is. If they think they're capable of "raising the standard" here, it's open, give it a shot. Until they have a better option, they are wrong to be critical.

Great Ideas, and a needed ispirational boost. We try and do what we can, and find time to actually live our lives. If anyone has additional suggestions on ways to get people "motivated" and informed (aside from one BOS endorsed meeting) then "HEY, JOIN THE FRAY!"

Don't let complacency, and our "Misrepresentitives", be the ruin of Wareham.

PShooter

Last edited by PShooter (2009-10-04 23:05:20)

#4 2009-10-05 07:22:33

Everyone's vote counts.  Remember the recent Fire District Meeting? ONE VOTE changed the outcome for moderator, didn't it?   Everyone can find one or two friends or relatives that might not have attended unless personally invited.  Don't assume someone else is doing all that inviting. It takes each of us to make the wave we need.  And be sure to tell your friends they need to stay until the end...!  It will be exciting to be part of the new improved Wareham!

#5 2009-10-05 08:11:11

Thank you to voter....hope there are many more like you reading, learning and getting involved.
Not everyone posts, nor should they feel compelled to. There are plenty that post, so one should never feel obligated to post for the sake of posting.
Welcome aboard!

#6 2009-10-05 08:27:59

The board is working its way through the list of employees and volunteers that it wanted to get rid of, whether by driving them out or not reappointing them or outright firing them. They don't worry about law suits because it's not their money.   They are meeting their goal, are they not?

This is the first Board in history, I'll wager, to treat TM voters as if we are irrelevant.  They work outside the budget with the ITA, ignore the intent and integrity of our votes, and ignore the process and the Charter. 

It's not Town Meeting that's irrelevant. The process has been hijacked. The Moderator, elected to function within this process, can't manage it and could that be partly intentional to make it look like this form of govt isn't working? 

The above comments are my opinion.

#7 2009-10-05 08:42:41

Voter,
It's clear from the comments made in the last two years that at least ONE selectman has been banging the drum for a structural change in town government. If you take the time to read the CRC minutes, you get a clear picture from the first meeting that we will have to fight a change in town government (including back up plan) in the spring town meeting. That said, it's critical we concentrate on the upcoming town meeting.

Neighborhood meetings and walk throughs are critical. I can tell you there are more voters in our neighborhood that are now informed!  Many said the same thing, "I didn't know that!". That is a problem we are in a position to rectify!

I gave a speech recently that it appears voter agrees with. The basic premis of democracy is one person=one vote. If you get people to vote, you can build a majority, which is what we need to effect change. Tell a neighbor, friend, relative, or even a stranger!  The key is to educate the citizens. We can do this. I know Liz and I are available to help out. If you need help to get the word out through walk-throughs, small meetings, big meetings, or visiting senior facilities, please let us know! We need to Take Back Wareham and then we can start to rebuild from all the damage that has been done.

Thank you Voter, for your input.

#8 2009-10-05 09:33:32

voter wrote:

It's not Town Meeting that's irrelevant. The process has been hijacked. The Moderator, elected to function within this process, can't manage it and could that be partly intentional to make it look like this form of govt isn't working? 

voter, this is great too. Two things I've read in the last five minutes (Ham, the other), where people are stating, things I've thought myself. Thanks for adding your voice. No hateful rhetoric, just informed observation. Their track record speaks for itself, and if people are unhappy with their performance, then we need to call them on it, or we're not doing our part in "the process".

The below comments are my opinion.

PShooter

#9 2009-10-05 10:09:04

Voter,
If you need "materials", please contact Bob, Liz, Steve, PShooter, or myself. We have materials that can assist you in getting the word out. Use the private message feature.

#10 2009-10-05 13:18:47

The Courier has opened a Town Meeting discussion thread

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/news … eting-talk

There is also a complete list of the articles.  Enjoy!

#11 2009-10-06 07:35:03

Thanks, everyone.  I have distributed the materials.  I hope the auditorium will be too small to hold all of us looking for positive change, but not the change being shoved at us.   Every day I am more saddened and angered by what has happened to our town.   The list of offenses grows.  The damage multiplies.
So, let's TAKE BACK WAREHAM.

#12 2009-10-06 10:05:02

You bring a tear to my eye voter. It's obvious that I am not political savvy, but I can tell you I've seen good people work hard to reach those citizens who either didn't care or felt they couldn't make a difference. To hear you say Take Back Wareham warms my heart!  It also convinces me the word is getting out and people are listening!

#13 2009-10-06 16:17:05

Over the past year I have seen this site go from a rag tag group of malcontents to a cohesive political force. Bill W thank you for giving us that opportunity to grow, we are moving forward to take back Wareham in a planed manner. We have people who specialize in research of the law thanks nota, those who can do the unthinkable and much needed Math calculations and the analysis of the ever present Bobo, thanks Cas.  But most importantly we have a well written handout with our side of the issues for Town Meeting.
Steve has stepped up and announced unofficially that he will run for selectman in the spring. But right now that is secondary to town meeting. I cringe every time someone starts to get off track an puts blame on anyone in current town gov. without facts. If we can’t back it up with facts we need to stop and think. We are now being watched by more than just Bobo an Brucey and the new people that are joining us on a daily bases will leave if we become just a negative faction with no direction. From a political stand point keep it positive that is we have an answer not just a complaint. Do not respond to Bobo at all. It only leads away from the target Oct. Town Meeting and April elections.
I know we have a few colorful commentaters and I don’t mean to stop them at all. Keep it coming that is what is expected of you (no disrespect intended you offer a wealth of information and insight)  the rest must stay on track keep the message strong and positive. Thanks  to all.

Last edited by kinsailman (2009-10-06 16:39:15)

#14 2009-10-06 20:17:52

voter wrote:

The board is working its way through the list of employees and volunteers that it wanted to get rid of, whether by driving them out or not reappointing them or outright firing them. They don't worry about law suits because it's not their money.   They are meeting their goal, are they not?

This is the first Board in history, I'll wager, to treat TM voters as if we are irrelevant.  They work outside the budget with the ITA, ignore the intent and integrity of our votes, and ignore the process and the Charter. 

You know, I have to agree with you.  I was not really sure if there was a "hit list" until a person of trust, told me that the last TA had actually shown him a list of names that the selectmen wanted "gone".  Imagine the gall of putting it on paper.  But, they don't care.

I want a selectman to be accountable to the people that voted him/her in, and be mindful of the economy and tighten the purse strings, rather than steal from one account to pad another.  Looking at the articles for TM, I see where we could put on hold a few hundred thousand $ until our town recoups a bit.
But, they don't care.

The TM may be in agreement with his wife and other selectmen in regard to our form of gov't not working, so they can SLIDE in a mayor, but I don't think he is smart enough to carry out an act.  He is definately not that smart.
But, they don't care.

Your opinion is right on the mark.  A lot of people here will agree with you.

But, we care.

#15 2009-10-06 21:13:27

Born, I am glad to hear you say this because I too have heard from multiple sources that the "hit list," isn't just a metaphor - they have an actual physical list with names written on a piece of paper.

#16 2009-10-06 21:29:10

Hamatron5000 wrote:

Born, I am glad to hear you say this because I too have heard from multiple sources that the "hit list," isn't just a metaphor - they have an actual physical list with names written on a piece of paper.

I honestly wish I could tell you a name.  I promised I wouldn't and I am good for my word.   I am certain this person would be on the unemployment line.   However, you need to know that this person deeply cares for Wareham, so for now, just trust me, please.

#17 2009-10-07 07:55:06

This is my first post and want you to know that only living in Town for one year, my Wife and I registered to vote two weeks ago.  I have been reading this site and am very concerned about the direction the Town is heading.  We will both attend Town Meeting and vote to TAKE BACK WAREHAM.

Thanks to all of you for having this site where the truth is there for everyone to see.

#18 2009-10-07 08:54:46

Welcome to Wareham Quahog. I appreciate anyone who votes!

#19 2009-10-07 08:57:23

Quahog, Welcome! Hope to see you at Bob's next meeting, 10/17, too. Thanks for adding your voice to the choir. (Let me know if you want a t-shirt, bumper sticker, or newsletter(s).

PShooter
TAKEBACKWAREHAM
pshooter59@yahoo.com

#20 2009-10-07 20:07:06

quote from the courier

“We’re opening up the town to the unknown,” Selectman Brenda Eckstrom said. “We don’t want to get stuck with having a board decide something that goes against the wishes of the residents.”

This was Brenda's reaction to Bay Pointe. However, when it comes to Westfield, the Selectmen has shoved this down our throats, "against the wishes of residents" 3 times. Hmmmm

It would be helpful if they would quit talking about both sides of their mouths.

#21 2009-10-07 21:11:52

I don't understand this.  The selectmen say they are for affordable senior housing.  Bay Pointe wants to build affordable senior housing on their own land, not the town's land.  Why are the selectmen against this?  Why isn't Bobo, who claims to be for senior housing, not jeering the selectmen for this?  (Rhetorical question, we know he doesn't because they won't give him permission to.)

#22 2009-10-11 09:29:47

As I posted on another thread, I got to view some info on Bay pointe last night..after listening to some very interesting facts about the project, I encouraged my friend to attend Town Meeting and let people hear exactly what he presented to me..all the people sitting around the fire, which I turned into an informational meeting, are citizens of Town who generally don't attend  Town Meeting..hopefuly they, along with many other people in our Town, will realize the importance of being involved in our Government and help right the course here..

One footnote: the daughter of a retired Police Officer could not have been more vocal about keeping the Police Chief in Civil Service..she will now be attending Town Meeting based on the fact she wants to see this Article defeated..

Thanks to all on this site who sincerely care and want to TAKE BACK WAREHAM!!!

#23 2009-10-11 12:10:02

Ham: follow the money!!

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com