#1 2009-08-27 20:26:53

In a jeer today, Bobo printed the absurd and incredible lie that $40,000 was taken from the library budget (he seems to imply this came from the town's library budget) and that either McAulliffe, the late Mrs. Pillsbury or Mrs. Pizzolato are to blame.

Pardon my french - BULLSHIT!  THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!  THAT CANNOT, REPEAT, CANNOT HAPPEN!  THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Why is it impossible?  Because the town library budget is controlled by the town.  The TA, the fin com, the town accountant, town meeting, and others, they're all involved.  Bobo, as someone who has covered towns for as long as he has, either knows this and is lying, or he should know it and is an incompetent buffoon.

Produce a $40,000 cancelled check from the Town of Wareham to the library attorney, Bobo.  You can't, because you are a lying dirt bag.

This is just one more pathetic display in his ongoing pathological hatred of Pillsbury, Pizzolato, and the library.  A year after her passing, and this guy still is trying to prove that his insane hatred and loathing of Pillsbury is justified. 

Bobo, you're a liar.  You have no one to blame for your paper's failure but yourself.  Sit on the bowl in your new office tonight and think about how badly you have failed and whether the lies you have been peddling for years have been worth it.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-08-27 20:35:41)

#2 2009-08-27 20:29:35

(Sorry to steal your thunder, IHL, just thought this was such an absurd lie on Bobo's part that it needed to be brought to the public's attention).  But as you said, such a payment could not come from the town's library budget without authorization going through town hall. 

I think this is Bobo lashing out because his paper is going down the tubes.

#3 2009-08-27 20:33:28

He writes this but he offers no proof whatsoever that this exists.

#4 2009-08-27 21:31:20

Somebody should go to citizens participation and get it on the record. Let Sweet Brucie and Sandquist either lie on tv or tell Bobo that he lied. It will be interesting to watch them dance around it.

#5 2009-08-27 21:35:41

rukidding, that's a great idea.  We should pull together a list of the crap that Slager has made up, and run through all of it.  Well, however much we can get through in one participation session....it's bound to be an awfully long list!

#6 2009-08-27 22:33:24

What we have here is a deviant.  There are many varieties of deviancy . The best known of the species is the one with the common name of Flasher.  The typical outfit of a Flasher is a dirty raincoat and nothing else.  Their "jollies" and indeed their nourishment come from the shock, horror, and revulsion caused by their in-your face exhibitionism.

A less common but equally repulsive deviant occurs occasionally on the fringes of legitimate journalism: the Word Flasher.

The Word Flasher wears a dirty barracuda and charactaristically drools into the keys of his computer as he types the words that he knows will cause the disgust, and revulsion on which he feeds.

A Word Flasher can destroy the quality of life of a community, but getting rid of the menace requires behavior that is counter-intuitive. Since your reaction to his words is his only sustenance, the only extinction method that works is not to read his words.

Last edited by billw (2009-08-29 00:13:20)

#7 2009-08-27 22:47:45

Seems odd although nothing fazes me anymore with Mr Slager that he would make such a big deal about 40K from a dept yet say nothing about BOS 400K.

The current BOS tells citizens to sue the town...and yes again folks its on tape

#8 2009-08-27 22:50:50

Just to reiterate - this could not have come from the library's budget on the town side.  He's just trying to smear Pillsbury, Pizzolato, McAulliffe.

#9 2009-08-28 07:09:55

I just posted this on the other thread:

The town did not pay any of the library trustee's legal bills. Here is slager's addition to his original Jeer:

"Now, of course, the hate bloggers are claiming this is a lie. Well, allow me to direct them to the (gulp) Citizens for a Better Wareham web site, where a report is printed by Finance Committee members Dan Cheevers and Marilyn (Save our Library) Donahue. That report also says the library shelled out more than $40,000 in legal fees over the past two years. Any questions?"

If you look at the article on the CBW site you will find a breakdown of what the TOWN spent on each department on legal fees, not what each department's budget paid. He totally misread the Donahue/Cheevers graph. Please go to that site and see for yourself. http://onewareham.com/  I would imagine through the request for information, anyone could get a copy of the library budget and see that there never was one penny spent on any legal bills. Or you could ask the town accountant or treasurer for the information. Or you could ask the trustee's lawyer if he ever got a check from the town of Wareham for representing the trustees. I would expect a journalist to investigate such an outrageous claim before printing it.

His placing blame on three innocent people, Mrs. Pillsbury, Ms. Pizzolato and Mr. McAuliffe is reprehensible and he should apologize publicly for this huge blunder.

#10 2009-08-28 07:38:57

Nora Bicki wrote:

I would expect a journalist to investigate such an outrageous claim before printing it.

I would too, but unfortunately, this man is not a journalist, but a degenerate scumbag.  Thank you for clearing this up, Mrs. Bicki.  He does indeed owe a huge apology.  Someone who covers town government knows that what he has alleged cannot happen.  It's impossible.

I challenge Bobo to produce a cancelled check from the Town of Wareham to Phil Bureaugard's law firm for $40,000 out of the library budget. (He can't, because it didn't happen, and was impossible to happen).

Conversely, I challenge Phil Bureaugard to sue his ass into the stone age for claiming that he illegally accepted payment from the town.

Last edited by Hamatron5000 (2009-08-28 08:01:03)

#11 2009-08-28 08:19:32

There's two positively incredible things about this jeer:  (1) His math is off by a factor of 50% and if you guessed the error was in favor of his position, and helps paint the Trustees in a bad light, you'd be right, and (2) he basically admits to making up his conclusion.  Here's a quick-and-dirty breakdown of what he did.  I hope he responds to my challenge so I have an opportunity to make these points to him directly.

We know for a fact they lost $72,000 in the market from June 2007 to June 2008, and that was before the market tumbled.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I suspect that it isn't.  Slager has a habit of citing things that he claims are supportive of his position, but when one actually reads the document, it's easy to see how he twists things.  The Joyce settlement is a great example of this.  I haven't seen the tax returns, but I'm guessing this is a stretch, if there's any loss at all.  I wonder, did Slager get his information from having a CPA look at the document, or is this simply his interpretation, much like he offers up his legal opinions all too often?  And again, there's no mention here of the long run of investment successes that allowed the Trustees to fund the library at a high level for years.

That’s right - the library budget covered $40,000 in legal fees for the former board of library trustees from 2007-2008.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE FALSEHOOD, and since we're talking about math here, it's not an opinion.

Even if we assume he's right here about what the costs were for, which I don't, he later points out that this came from the CBW website.  Assuming he was referring to this page, his math, again, is just plain wrong.  And SHOCKINGLY, it's wrong in a way that attempts to make his point stronger, and the Trustees' position weaker.  In the chart at the end of that analysis, the library line item for 2007 is $2,894, and 2008 is $23,717.  The grand total?  $26,661.  Slager exaggerated (lied?) by well over $13,000, a factor of more than 50%.

Who authorized that payout? It wasn’t the selectmen. We asked.

I wonder, did he ask about all of the other line items in the list?  Or was he afraid that the answer wouldn't support his agenda, so he'd have to ignore them?

Well, allow me to direct them to the (gulp) Citizens for a Better Wareham web site

This is another example of him "citing" something, without actually citing it.  For those who want to read the analysis, it is available at http://onewareham.com/index.php?view=ar … nt=1&page=

That report states that the town spent $40,000 in legal fees on behalf of the library in 2007-2008.

It absolutely 100% does not.  The number in the chart is $26k and change.  Nowhere near what he said it was.  This is another repetition of Slager's math-lie.  Actually, even if one includes all 3 years on the chart, it's STILL not $40k.  Slager should be ashamed of himself for publishing distortions like this, and should issue a retraction immediately.

So why would the town spend ($26,000) in legal fees on behalf of the library?

There Rob - I fixed that line for you.  I can think of all sorts of things over 2 years that one would need legal advice for.  First let's break the math down some more, though, shall we?  The library's share of town legal expenses over this time was 3.85% of the town's legal payouts.  Personally, I would investigate where the other 96.15% is going, but hey, I don't have an anti-Trustees agenda.  Now, I don't know what K&P and others charge for their time, but I did find this page which has some averages in it.  For the sake of discussion, I'm going to use $300/hr as an average rate - this probably isn't exact, but I'd bet it's close.  That works out to 89 hours of time over 2 years.  There's always some expenses in there as well, so I'm going to say 80 hours to make the math easier.  If we look at 80 hours over the course of 2 years, that's 40 hours a year, or just over 3 hours a month.  Viewed another way, it's 5 days per year.  The library does not have to be involved in litigation to use up 5 days of somebody's time over the course of the year.  There could be tax issues, issues handling donations, employment issues, general questions, etc.   Remember, lawyers don't bill in fractions of an hour - you call these guys, and BOOM, there goes 300 bucks :)

Any legal fees the town accrued in its lawsuit with the former trustees would not be considered legal fees for the library

Unless the town decided to categorize them that way, which Slager appears to have not investigated.

The selectmen were listed as defendents in the case, so legal fees from the lawsuit would be attributed to their department and not the library department

Assumption number 2!!

So if this $40,000 in legal fees weren't used to defend the selectmen in their lawsuit with the former trustees, what was it used for?

Well, it's 26, not 40.  And again, that's two weeks' of a lawyer's time over the course of two years - that could be used for dang near anything, Bob.  A real journalist would have answered the question through research before making assumptions that turn into irresponsible allegations.  Ms. Bicki gave you several options in a previous post for options on how you could have done this research before running with another divisive, and false, allegation, in his attempt to further attack the former Trustees.

Edited for formatting

Last edited by acasualobserver (2009-08-28 08:22:16)

#12 2009-08-28 08:49:07

Here is yet another update to the jeer:

According to slager, " Now, of course, the hate bloggers are claiming this is a lie. Well, allow me to direct them to the (gulp) Citizens for a Better Wareham web site, where a report is printed by Finance Committee members Dan Cheevers and Marilyn (Save our Library) Donahue. That report states that the town spent $40,000 in legal fees on behalf of the library in 2007-2009. The library itself was not involved in any litigation during that time. So why would the town spend $40,000 in legal fees on behalf of the library? The lawsuit concerned the town and the former board of library trustees, which was a completely separate entity from the library. Any legal fees the town accrued in its lawsuit with the former trustees would not be considered legal fees for the library. The selectmen were listed as defendents in the case, so legal fees from the lawsuit would be attributed to their department and not the library department. So if this $40,000 in legal fees weren't used to defend the selectmen in their lawsuit with the former trustees, what was it used for?"

For the record, the case against the trustees began in July, 2007. The bos had K and P give them an opinion prior to dismissing the trustees. They then filed a countersuit, using K and P again, against the trustees, the Friends and the Foundation in September of 2007.

#13 2009-08-28 08:55:56

For the record, the case against the trustees began in July, 2007. The bos had K and P give them an opinion prior to dismissing the trustees. They then filed a countersuit, using K and P again, against the trustees, the Friends and the Foundation in September of 2007.

This is great information Nora!  So essentially the entire jeer is made up, as it's based on two premises:

1. $40,000 of funds were paid out for legal purposes surrounding the library
2. There was nothing else going on at this time that the funds could have been used for, so the only possible explanation is that they went to the trustees' lawyer.

I showed above that (1) is completely factually incorrect, and now we have the explanation for (2).  I wonder if Slager will simply remove it, and put my jeer back up (honestly, I feel like I got gypped because it was only there a couple of days), remove it, and leave it empty, leave it up knowing it's been completely proven wrong, or (gulp) issue a retraction?  Anybody want to take bets?

#14 2009-08-28 09:14:27

A very wise man we all know told me there is no winning with Slager. If you catch him in a lie, he will tell another lie to cover it. It's clear now that he had no clue what was going on with the audit, so he made up sources and "life changing" statements. His articles have been shredded word by word by our esteemed friend Casual and his information on the Trustees has been soundly spanked!  He will now craft another lie or misdirection to cover his tracks. I am just going to enjoy watching him being scooped by Urbon (with ease), destroyed by the great people of this site, and eventually ignored by the entire population of Wareham. Truthfully, there is no need for a boycott of his litterbox liner. He has zero credibility, no office, and reads this site 24/7 for information. He just isn't worth it. His time is soon to be up.

We need to concentrate on the Selectmen. They are destroying the town and doing it in a very underhanded way. They need to go.

#15 2009-08-28 09:23:27

Ha, Larry you're right.  He's already updated his jeer based on what I said.  Most of the changes are just in the dates, going from 2 years to 3, but the math still doesn't work.  It's still not 40k, and he hasn't acknowledged the fact that there was significant legal activity going on during that time.  Realistically, the amount he includes for 2009 is another week of one lawyer's time.  The public sees right through what you're trying to do, Rob. 

As a side note, I just registered an AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) account to use for chatting about this sort of thing in real time.  If you use AIM, add 'CasualObserverMA' to your buddy list.  I have my privacy config set so that only people who are on my buddy list can see me, so if you want to chat send me your screen name.

#16 2009-08-28 09:27:38

I used to use AIM when I was working on my MBA for group projects. I might have to see if it still works!

I wonder of he marked the Jeer as UPDATED, or if just keeps ignoring journalism values and ethics? Wait.....we all know the answer to that one already.

I think I will just finish up here and head out to enjoy a great weekend with my family. Come on by Casual, it's a big cookout on Sunday.

#17 2009-08-28 09:28:00

Oh, it's BYOG on Sunday (Bring your own Gnome!) :)

#18 2009-08-28 14:51:51

It would be interesting to see the actual invoices for the 40,000 or 26,000 in legal fees charged to the library. They should be available under freedom of information. It is entirely possible that they could have been incurred by the selectmen when they sued the trustees. If the selectmen were charging their legal costs to the library and not the legal budget then the finance committee and the public would not see the entire legal cost of town. It is sort of like the selectmen purposely laundering legal fees so they would not be accountable for the enormity of expense.

#19 2009-08-28 16:38:32

rukidding, are you kidding?  Getting an invoice like that is something that a responsible journalist who doesn't have an agenda to push would do.  In my opinion, Slager's more of a throw-around-accusations-without-any-evidence kind of guy.

#20 2009-08-28 21:07:36

Just a side note, I stopped by a liquor store today (I know what you are thinking...i needed bier to cook the brats) and they had a few copies of the Wareham Pravda at the counter. Some guy picked up the kitty box liner and he laughed and put it back down...Now that was one of the funniest things I saw all day.

#21 2009-08-29 00:21:16

I think someone needs to learn to READ. kitty box liner = Wareham Pravda....whew....Ham? Can you work with Slager a bit longer on his reading skills? Who goes to the liquor store for kitty litter?

Sarcasm..read it, recognize it...embrace it....

Great..the Gnome is laughing so hard her jacked up back is cramping! i have tears from the laughing....beer...kaluha...kitty litter liners? OMG! One of these things is not like the other...one things doesn't belong!

#22 2009-08-29 00:26:41

Larry McDonald
Just a side note, I stopped by a liquor store today (I know what you are thinking...i needed bier to cook the brats) and they had a few copies of the Wareham Pravda at the counter. Some guy picked up the kitty box liner and he laughed and put it back down...Now that was one of the funniest things I saw all day.

slagers said to me "Madmom, could you ask Larry a question for me? I read his comment on another web site about the Observer being on the counter of a liquor store and how somebody picked up kitty litter liner when he saw the paper. Which liquor store was that? There is only one that keeps the paper on the counter, and they don't sell kitty box liner. So, which liquor store was that? Or did he just make it up? I'm just curious because, as he has claimed many times, he never lies."

omg he really has a true problem with his comprehension skills...

#23 2009-08-29 00:40:56

I'd like to thank Slager for bring tears to my eyes (of laughter) and making my wife's back tense up from laughing too hard.

It's been a long busy day and I am over tired...whew.....it must be from the town wide computer audit?????

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com