#1 2009-08-27 09:06:41

In 2007, a very brutal and horrific torture/slaying took place in Knoxville, TN. If you google the names above, you will find many different accounts of what happened, but if you followed the trial, you will be sickened and angry at what truly happened. This crime did not receive national attention for whatever reason, but I can assure you it left a lasting impression on me. The story isn't complete, but the first of the criminals that committed these acts was sentenced to life in prion without parole. Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins will never venture outside in free space again. Cobbins escaped the death penalty, which is ironic because Newsom and Christian did not escape with their lives.

The parents of both these young people have to live and deal with what happened to their children, and they have to re-live it 3 more times. That includes the graphic testimony, pictures, and evidence. I feel so very sorry for them. I can't imagine how gut wrenching it is for these good people. As a parent, my heart goes out to them. I know I want to do everything I can to protect my children. In this case, there was nothing the parents could have done, but that doesn't stop them for feeling guilty.

If you have the opportunity, I encourage you to read more about this story. Warning: it is graphic and it is very very painful to read (especially if you are a parent).

#2 2009-08-27 10:19:07

OMG Larry, what a horrific story, as a mother I cannot imagine the strength it took the families not to kill these bastards themselves! The level of depravity exhibited in this crime tells me that the people who committed it are not fit for living in any society. To think any of them could walk the streets again makes me feel that no one is safe. Just tragic all around.
On the other hand, I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be their parent, the guilt must be overwhelming. It must take just as much strength to stand by a child who has committed such an atrocity.
I also understand the devastation multiple trials wreaks on victims families. Such an awful story, and as snopes.com points out, things like this do not make national news because it happens so much it is impossible to cover all the stories. Now that is a testament in and of itself! Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor?"

#3 2009-08-27 10:29:02

I have been following this since it broke. It brings me to tears to think about what those children went through and now what the parents have to endure the rest of their lives. There is statisfaction in seeing the criminals brought to justice, but it doesn't change what they did.

From all the information I have (friends, family) these parents were wonderful parents, so my heart goes out to them.

#4 2009-08-27 13:46:34

LM, heartwrenching. It is for crimes like these that I support capital punishment. Honestly, considering what they did, I feel even that is too good for them.

PShooter

Last edited by PShooter (2009-08-27 13:47:43)

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com