#66 2009-08-10 08:29:48

I thing Bill should interview him too. After all, he is editor and publisher of THIS local news and opinion website, the unoriginal but significantly more original (and credible) Wareham Observer.

#67 2009-08-10 09:44:40

I have been inspired to find some pics of my own fond memories, I am not sure how to scan them but am sure someone out there can give me a hand. I found great pics of (what I think was 4th of July) in Onset.
My all time favorite memory is Marc Anthony's pizza, in fact, the day we closed on our house and moved in we ordered from there at least three times to feed all our hungry movers. I still think their pizza is some of the best in the world.

#68 2009-08-10 10:04:10

Cara,

I'm sending you a PM re. photos so as not to disrupt this thread.

#69 2009-08-10 10:34:30

urneighbor wrote:

I thing Bill should interview him too. After all, he is editor and publisher of THIS local news and opinion website, the unoriginal but significantly more original (and credible) Wareham Observer.

What's he going to tell me? He's got his hands full?

Give the guy some air. He's the substitute teacher with a classroom of unruly kids. Ok, at 1:40, everyone drop your books!

#70 2009-08-10 13:01:07

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

i loved the old library it was like a room out of a castle with the huge stained glass window.. truely dreamy.. ernie precourt and his horse sandy on lincoln hill(main and hathaway).. dr lincoln and his model t with the rumble seat.. just a few other cool memories i have..

I remember getting permission to walk thru the woods from Tremont Rd, now Cranb'y Hwy and finding the riding paths that led to Dr. Lincolns property.  Rte. 195, and Com Electric (new mall) weren't there, but the horse trails were.  The WPD was the information booth for the Chamber of Commerce.  The Wareham Tree Dept. was behind it, and later was part of the EMS barn.  The Masonic Temple was a field.  The antique dealer's home was a trailer next door, New England farms was "Belden's Antiques in the Rough" with two houses on it and his shop, the real estate office next to that was the home of the Reed family whose frontage to Tremont Rd/Rte. 28 was only a few feet and they moved the house back when the road was widened.  Next to them was the Pitt's family and the Robbins' family whose houses were torn down for the expansion. Rte.28 ran by Roger's Garage, just torn down and if you go to the Physician's office on Recovery Road you will see that Recovery Rd was the original Rte.28 which came out in front of the Knotty Pine Restaurant, now Pomodores.  Milt Roger's home, next to Robbins was moved to upper Pinehurst area.  I believe the Robbins' girl rode horse, also.  They would often cross the street and ride along the bogs across from the rear of the Ind. Pk.  The riders coming from the Lincoln property would allow us to pet the horses, what a thrill to a youngster.   Those were good times.

#71 2009-08-10 13:41:28

urneighbor wrote:

What a wonderful idea!  Bill is articulate, very knowledgable of town affairs and I agree, credible.  I don't know Bill, but I get a sense of him being like my Dad was.  Able to sit back, far enough to hear the speakers and ingest  and digest their words.  Then would come a sensible, well thought out response.  Boy do I miss my dad, I learned something everyday from him.  He would definately be on the band wagon for Bill.  I think Bill should interview Chief Stanley.  After meeting him, I didn't feel he was the "pumped up-I'm THE Chief-braggard type who doesn't want to really hear what you have to say person" that some thought he might be.  I was leery of that, too.  It was eye to eye contact, no bull and the feeling was.......give me your opinion or feelings to help me thru this.  Without our input, all he will hear is that of the BOS & ITA.  I really think he wants his time here to be productive.  He said he admires Lt. Wallace and the men are definately loyal to him (the few that he has spoken to).  I don't think he wants to hear from just the police officers.  I got the feeling that he wants to hear from the PEOPLE in town who have sat back, watched and been able to do nothing - in regard to the Chief's position.  He said he was here to help the town and it's PD.  Go for it Bill and take your camera so everyone will know what our new PT Chief looks like.  Unlike the Town Hall Hoodlums, I think you will find him approachable. Please, Bill.                Thanks.

Last edited by bornofwareham (2009-08-10 13:44:38)

#72 2009-08-10 14:36:12

Thanks Liz and bornof for wonderful descriptions.
Wareham/Onset really was a one of a kind place...and can be again if you all keep on doing what you are doing.
Bornof...wasn't it "Minnie" Rogers that had the original garage? Right across from the old Elks that burned down.

#73 2009-08-10 19:03:39

billw wrote:

urneighbor wrote:

What's he going to tell me? He's got his hands full?

Give the guy some air. He's the substitute teacher with a classroom of unruly kids. Ok, at 1:40, everyone drop your books!

I was the student that every teacher wanted.  Not always academically, but I was extremely quiet and well behaved.  But, I remember one teacher (English) in our junior year at WHS that we did that to.  She was way over our heads and this was a college course class but we just didn't get her teaching methods.  She flunked us all on a test that our principal later graded, after canning her and gave us passing grades.

Okay, Bill we won't ask you to interview him, or at least I won't.  I kinda think  (how's that for good English?) I was actually hoping that the "interview" would be more like you telling him some of the rotten things that have been going on in town.  We - I - will give him some air.  I'm sure after a short time here, he'll be needing some fresh air.

#74 2009-08-10 19:17:35

danoconnell wrote:

Thanks Liz and bornof for wonderful descriptions.
Wareham/Onset really was a one of a kind place...and can be again if you all keep on doing what you are doing.
Bornof...wasn't it "Minnie" Rogers that had the original garage? Right across from the old Elks that burned down.

The Roger's Garage I'm talking about was on Rte.28, probably less than 1/4 mi. N of the WPD.  Milt, Jackie, Donald and Billy Rogers.   The Roger's you are talking about was across from the area of the Elks and the Wood Chips Hotel, in East Wareham.  Minnie Rogers' garage was on what is now called Old Glen Charlie Road and is a dead end, due to Rte 25.  Go west of the garage and there was The Squirrel's Nest Diner and to the west of that a variety store, I think owned by a Greek man.  I know that the cheese in there was REALLY STRONG SMELLING.

#75 2009-08-10 19:58:52

Yes, of course. The Rogers' you speak of were GMC dealers, and school bus operators. One of the boys was a summer cop.
Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks.

#76 2009-08-11 01:13:25

danoconnell wrote:

Yes, of course. The Rogers' you speak of were GMC dealers, and school bus operators. One of the boys was a summer cop.
Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks.

Almost there Dan.   The Gateway Bus Co. was the GMC Dealer in town.  Rogers and Sons was the International Harvester Dealer.  Both were school bus contractors.  I don't remember any of the brothers being cops, but it is possible.  Their sister, Geneveve's son was a police officer, Ronald Phillips.  I don't think they were called "special's" though.  I can almost picture Jack Rogers in a police uniform, so maybe one of the boys was a cop.  Old memories starting to come back?

#77 2009-08-11 07:27:46

They sure are. Ronnie Philips was a bus driver and a part time Police Officer. I think he worked full time in the summer. I know I worked a few times with him on the midnight to 8 a.m. shift.
I also remember the Rogers' boys involved with tow truck operations and clean ups at accidents.

#78 2009-08-11 08:32:01

About 30 years ago, my Dad (who has passed on now) was an quto appraiser. He was very good friends with Mr Rogers. Mr Rogers gave him and old, I beleive it was a 1946, 19 passenger wooden bus.

I remember as kids, my brothers, the scouts, the baseball team all chipped in to restore the wood. Mike Letourneau (who has also passed) did the roof and all the seats with vinyl.

It was a beautiful site, dad took the scouts camping with it, the baseball team travelled to the old Ted Williams Camp to play exhibition games, he even used it a few times to campaign for Ronald Walsh running for Ward 1 Councilor in New Bedford.

Thanks for bringin up Mr Rogers name, you have brought back a great many memories. I will have to check with my mom to see if she has any pictures, and I will try to get them.

I do remember a picture hangin in Mr Rogers office at the shop. Maybe they still have it.

#79 2009-08-11 17:55:01

The new interim Chief Richard Stanley

Maybe Dan or if he's still checking in, Capt. Cardilino, can weigh in on this.

I mean no disrespect to your new interim chief but I think there are some very important unanswered questions about his role and responsibilities.

I do however question his judgment and motivation in taking on this job and think we need some answers.

First and foremost, I'm not even sure it is legal for Wareham to have a half time chief, especially one with another job as a full-time chief.

Second, how was it decided to have an interim chief and who found him?

But assuming it is legal, and everything was above board, 20 hours in Wareham isn't much out of the 168 hours in a week. In all towns and cities I'm familiar the chief or a designee is called in for emergencies involving fatalities and things like a bank robbery or major drug bust.

It should go without saying that being a police chief is a 24/7 job.

In my town the chief worked dawn to dusk for three days at the scene of a drowning until the victim was found.

What happens in Wareham when there's such an incident and the chief is in Andover, either at home or on the job?

If he's working and even consults with Wareham PD he's double dipping.

If he's at home is he going to drive to Wareham in the Wareham cruiser? Is he expected to break the speed limit with lights and siren if he does so? (Police always take a calculated risk of having an accident when they do this.)

How does the state police feel about it if he is?

Does the second in command, presumably Lt. Wallace, have the authority to make all decisions until he gets here or does he have to check with the chief?

What happens if the chief gets here and there's an incident back in Andover?

Has the Wareham BoS cosulted with the Andover BoS about potential conflicts?

Even if all the answers to these questions are satisfactory, to me at least, I have to admit there's something that smells like a particularly low tide about this decision.

I agree with the lone dissenter Bill Gordon on the N. Andover BoS who said

"I don't see any benefit to North Andover when the police chief has a part-time job an hour and a half away," Gordon said yesterday afternoon. "It's nothing personal. The chief has done a good job. But the position of police chief is the kind of job that is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

Isn't it nice to know that the Wareham job is expected to be Stanley's SECOND priority

"We believe helping out a fellow community is the right thing to do," Watson said. "As long as his first priority is and always will be the town of North Andover. After 60 days, we'll see if the arrangement is working for us."

We don't know how Selectman Dan Lanen, a police officer in town would have voted since he had to recuse himself from the vote.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/North_Andover_ma_highlight.png North Andover

Last edited by urneighbor (2009-08-11 17:56:07)

#80 2009-08-11 21:11:32

bornofwareham wrote:

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

i loved the old library it was like a room out of a castle with the huge stained glass window.. truely dreamy.. ernie precourt and his horse sandy on lincoln hill(main and hathaway).. dr lincoln and his model t with the rumble seat.. just a few other cool memories i have..

I remember getting permission to walk thru the woods from Tremont Rd, now Cranb'y Hwy and finding the riding paths that led to Dr. Lincolns property.  Rte. 195, and Com Electric (new mall) weren't there, but the horse trails were.  The WPD was the information booth for the Chamber of Commerce.  The Wareham Tree Dept. was behind it, and later was part of the EMS barn.

I have photos of Sandy here somewhere. Dr Lincoln's car was/is a Lincoln, currently residing in southern CA. Pictures of that here, too, somewhere.

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/j.m.lincoln.tremont.nail.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#81 2009-08-11 21:22:12

I remember the Lincolns fondly.
I remember, out of reverence, Mrs. Lincoln always had her seat up front at Town Meeting.
When she spoke, everyone listened.
I listened when I was a kid. I listened when I was a cop. I listened when I was a Selectman.
As a Selectman I had a better view of her...I am seated..she is four rows up on the far right, outside seat.
Don't anyone take it.
Liz...thanks for bringing back fond memories.

#82 2009-08-11 21:24:11

I know you must have a ton of pictures, Bill W.
Post what you can find, please.

#83 2009-08-11 21:54:24

Click to see 1885-12 - Lincoln Hill, Wareham, MA
1885-12 - Lincoln Hill, Wareham, MA.
Click to see 1890 - Palmer House - Main Street - Wareham, MA
1890 - Palmer House - Main Street - Wareham, MA.
Click to see 1900 - Onset - New Bedford Line
1900 - Onset - New Bedford Line.
Click to see 1905 - Wareham River - Main Street, Wareham, MA
1905 - Wareham River - Main Street, Wareham, MA.
Click to see 1910 - Helen & Maud Palmer - Pigs Point - Wareham, MA
1910 - Helen & Maud Palmer - Pigs Point - Wareham, MA.
Click to see 1943-NYC-Jame.htm 1943 - NYC - James R. Lincoln, MD & family
1943 - NYC - James R. Lincoln, MD & family.
Click to see 1943-12 - Lincoln Hill
1943-12 - Lincoln Hill, Wareham, MA.
Click to see 1963 - 1922 Lincoln - Lincoln Hill, Wareham
1963 - 1922 Lincoln - Lincoln Hill, Wareham, MA.

#84 2009-08-11 21:59:17

Great stuff, Bill...keep them coming.
I am amazed that Mrs.Lincoln looked so young for so long.

#85 2009-08-11 22:15:40

danoconnell wrote:

I remember seeing Dr. Lincoln wear that overcoat in the 1980s.

Rich or poor in this town, we do all have a shared religion and it's cheap, cheap, pinch till it hurts cheap.

#86 2009-08-11 22:24:48

i actually lived in the small house next to the main house 1979 or 80 i think i have the rental agreement somewhere. mrs lincoln is actually my kin she is related to my grandmother my dad mom that why when we moved here we rented the house my brother and i loved to play in the woods behind the house and in the house in the hidden passageways and the sunday rides in the cool movie star car.. i actually fell out of a tree along the  stone wall and broke my arm while living there also down the street was gina davis of course and pete wilson and his bees next to my grandparents house.. i have a copy of the lincoln family tree that the dr had published its awesome to be able to trace that side of the family back that far it also has war certificates and lots of goodies..great reading..

#87 2009-08-11 22:26:50

billw wrote:

danoconnell wrote:

I remember seeing Dr. Lincoln wear that overcoat in the 1980s.

Rich or poor in this town, we do all have a shared religion and it's cheap, cheap, pinch till it hurts cheap.

the black coat? always kept us in line and on our toes..

#88 2009-08-11 22:28:58

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

mrs lincoln is actually my kin she is related to my grandmother my dad mom

Hello, cousin.

Wm Palmer Whitehouse

#89 2009-08-11 22:34:15

billw wrote:

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

Hello, cousin.

Wm Palmer Whitehouse

hello cousin i will have to look you up in the book pm me if you want or put it on here i will lok you up in the book.. hell come over for coffee somday and we can look at it together..

#90 2009-08-11 22:42:43

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

billw wrote:

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

Hello, cousin.

Wm Palmer Whitehouse

hello cousin i will have to look you up in the book pm me if you want or put it on here i will lok you up in the book.. hell come over for coffee somday and we can look at it together..

fannie nye ellis(lincoln decent) was married to my great grandfarther myron baxter

#91 2009-08-11 22:52:56

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

See if you recognize any of the names and faces you see here below. Fair warning: the family tree don't branch much. Or put another way, Cape Verdeans got nothing on us. I had more than one oh-shit moment as a kid when I realized who I was dating.

Meet My Fore Fockers

#92 2009-08-11 23:15:22

billw wrote:

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

See if you recognize any of the names and faces you see here below. Fair warning: the family tree don't branch much. Or put another way, Cape Verdeans got nothing on us. I had more than one oh-shit moment as a kid when I realized who I was dating.

Meet My Fore Fockers

bourne and besse are a lincoln decendant married in or out but after the lincoln got married and had kids that is where it ends most of them are late 1800s birth so there is a big gap. my book was made not by the dr himself sorry for that but by james minor lincoln 1899 its old..

#93 2009-08-11 23:22:00

LIZdaGNOME wrote:

my book was made not by the dr himself sorry for that but by james minor lincoln 1899 its old..

I've seen it. It's worth noting, isn't it, that Charles Darwin married his own first cousin?

Here's another JM Lincoln selection you might like.

Wareham, 1819

Auto-edited on 2020-08-11 to update URLs

#94 2009-08-11 23:37:10

danoconnell wrote:

They sure are. Ronnie Philips was a bus driver and a part time Police Officer. I think he worked full time in the summer. I know I worked a few times with him on the midnight to 8 a.m. shift.
I also remember the Rogers' boys involved with tow truck operations and clean ups at accidents.

Ronnie was a mechanic and tow truck operator and a school bus driver and also a full time summer cop but I remember him being a cop at the door to the Monday Club Dances on Saturday nights.  I don't think he was considered a "special" in those days.

#95 2009-08-12 00:04:43

ihateliz wrote:

RUMOR HAS IT THAT O  CRUSH IS A  WAREHAM POLICEMAN

Hey, instead of OCRUSH being initials for something how about if it is referring to the mace they carry.  Actually, the mace has been replaced by a type of pepper spray which contains a form of cayenne pepper.  The true word is capsaisian(?) for cayenne.  So, not being able to remember what the O stands for - an ingredient I think, how about OCRUSH meaning O.C. Rush!  I'll figure it out someday.

#96 2009-08-12 20:30:07

well you can`t bother the cheif .at 7 pm .can you.
thanks wareham.

09-21388 1850 Unattended Death - Suspicious
Location/Address: SEAN CIR
EMS Unit: 61-Rescue 1
Unit: 2
Unit: 15
Unit: 11
Unit: 37
Unit: ZB1
Narrative:
POSSIBLE UNATTENDED. MALE FOUND INSIDE THE FRONT DOOR
SUSPICIOUS NOTIFICATIONS TO BE MADE
DETECTIVE DAMATA NOTIFIED 08/11/2009 1902
CHIEF STANLEY NOTIFIED 08/11/2009 1902
CHEIF ADVISES TO CONTACT LT WALLACE AND KEEP HIM (CHIEF)
UPDATED.
LT WALLACE 08/11/2009 1904

#97 2009-08-12 20:41:29

Onset ma...I feel your pain.
I assume you are on the job, and you must be mortified that no one on the job was even considered for the Chief's position.
On behalf of the citizens of Wareham, and me as a former citizen of Wareham, thanks for your service.
Hang on...miracles happen.

Board footer

warehamwater.cruelery.com